BI-LO Employee Reviews

Great place
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Mauldin, SCMarch 28, 2016
Bi-lo at the location I worked was great. Managers, customers, so workers and I had two pay raises less then six months of being employed. If it wasn't for the fact issue I had with friend of family member I would still be there.
Pros
Managers were the best
Cons
Worked hard and had good time with fellow associates. Felt like a team working together
Dairy Manager and Lead Stocker (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCDecember 26, 2015
Worked hard as a dairy/frozen food manager and lead stocker which helped encourage others on team to work hard as well. Fun to talk and communicate with other co-workers unless they did not perform well. Felt overall like a team environment and customers were really nice and glad to get help from me.
Pros
good opportunity for advancement, fellow associates were helpful
Cons
low pay and benefits
Poor work place
department manager (Former Employee) –  Spartanburg, SCMarch 14, 2016
This was a company that had low working standards and did not provide a good work life balance. Very poor management and compensation.
Was a fun place to work
overnight stocker (Former Employee) –  Greenville, SCMarch 14, 2016
I believe they need to improve their communication skills between the managers and all their co-workers, Overall it's an ok place to work at. The pay is good.
Cons
short breaks/too long to get benefits started.
Good company to work for
Asst. Produce Manager (Former Employee) –  Barnwell, SCJanuary 26, 2016
Good company to work for, with opportunities for advancement.
Upper management is set up on salary each week, department managers are usually hourly
Great job working with the public
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Lincolnton, NCDecember 31, 2015
I enjoyed meeting new people from the community and seeing of our regular customers come in. My coworkers and customers where always nice, this always made me look forward to the day. I learned a lot about the store layout and how important placement is in a grocery store.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Lack of benifits like vacation and health care.
no longer in business
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Lewisburg, TNAugust 21, 2016
A great grocery store that is no longer in business in middle Tennessee. Here's what their website says, Our home in the southeast is a beautiful, living garden and we treasure all that it has to offer our customers. With more than 90 years of experience in the southeast, we know how to pick the freshest produce, with the best flavors, and at just the perfect time of year.

We embrace our great responsibility to our customers, our associates and our environment when sourcing our fresh produce. Whenever possible, we source this produce from local farms and orchards, giving our customers an opportunity to support other members of the local community.

We partner with the families and farms that have harvested the land for generations, because they know what our customers love and share our commitment to stunning quality.
Very demanding environment
Deli Associate (Former Employee) –  Martinez, GAAugust 22, 2016
I do my tasked assigned everyday and due to shortage in employees in my department I have to acquire attention to do other jobs as well. Very easy to learn how to excel in multi-tasking when your working for Bi-Lo. Management is very nice and understands the situations e are put in when it comes to lack of hours and lack of employees on the schedule even though nothing changes but on holidays. Co-workers have always been a big help when it comes to a order or a customer. The hardest part of the job is not having enough hours to support my family and not having any benefits with the company. The most enjoyable part of the job is making the customers happy with a smile on their face,
Pros
discounts
Cons
no benefits, short schedule hours
Fun place to work with lots of yummy desserts!
Bookkeeper (Current Employee) –  Pickens, SCAugust 14, 2016
A typical day at work in the bakery included: coming in first thing and making donuts, start working on prepping bread to be proofed and baked, after bread is proofed then bake, after baking all bread start baking and pulling desserts from freezer, package all items and place them on sales floor, do a bread pull for the next day, and do any cleaning that needs to be completed. The deli-bakery manager was only concerned about when her next break was, which was often. I had a lot of great co-workers, who made the day very enjoyable! The hardest of the job was being able to manage your time wisely. The most enjoyable part of the job was sampling new dessert items!
Pros
Free desserts
Cons
Long days, Lots to complete.
First Job, Loved meeting new People here
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Summerville, SCJuly 6, 2016
This job was a great first experience for me. It taught me the customer service i needed to be able to be successful in sales. The Shifts were usually about 7 to 8 hours which wasn't that bad. The lines would get really long sometimes and there would be lots of working under pressure. The job defiantly taught me time management skills. The Management wasn't always the best. During the short time i was there we had several new managers and managers who did not care about the job whatsoever. It made the job a lot harder because it was mostly trying to figure things out on my own. The people i worked with were amazing and they made coming to work a much more enjoyable experience. The hardest part was how busy it got around the big holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. The best part was that i got pretty good hours.
Postives and fun place to work in sometimes
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Beaufort, SCJuly 9, 2016
This job was a great first experience for me. It taught me the customer service i needed to be able to be successful in sales. The Shifts were usually about 7 to 8 hours which wasn't that bad. The lines would get really long sometimes and there would be lots of working under pressure. The job defiantly taught me time management skills. The Management wasn't always the best. During the short time i was there we had several new managers and managers who did not care about the job whatsoever. It made the job a lot harder because it was mostly trying to figure things out on my own. The people i worked with were amazing and they made coming to work a much more enjoyable experience. The hardest part was how busy it got around the big holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. The best part was that i got pretty good hours,until they start cutting hours. Postiv
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Needed a job
Cook (Current Employee) –  Columbia, SC 29206June 27, 2016
When I applied to Bilo,I thought I was going to be given an opportunity for advancement and this was so not the case.I have worked there for almost 2 years now and I already work part time and now I only along with the others whom work there get maybe 23 hrs a week ..they constantly cut hours and always add more duties.They have no loyalty to the people that work for them ..and barely any to the customers..like there are a select few who are regulars that get their special treatment.I am ready to work for a company that will value my skills as a person and not just as an employee
Pros
I get off between 12 pm and 2 pm whenever I work and recieve a 5% discount
Cons
cut hours they care nothing about you just show up and work then get off the clock
Bi-lo
Cook primarily (Former Employee) –  Statesboro, GA 30458June 18, 2016
A typical day at work begins before the customers arrive. It is important that everything seems seamless for the experiences. I would begin cooking and prepping as soon as I walked onto the floor, making sure to always be busy covering several jobs at once. I adored my coworkers almost as much as I did the customers. The hardest part of the job was the never ending chain of bosses that all had different opinions on how things were to be handled and not one of them talked to each other. I thoroughly enjoyed me job. The best part was the interactions I got to have with people. Making people happy or satisfied was a great experience.
Pros
The customers and the coworkers. Knowing what I usually had to do everyday.
Cons
No benifits and too many bosses.
was a fun place to work at first
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 11, 2016
when i first started to work, it was easy for me to work there. i was able to walk to work. the first day of work was being able to run a register. the training was hard, cause their was so much to remember how to do. as the years went buy i was able to do it myself. i enjoyed the managers and other co-workers when i first started. then as the years grew, the changing of managers got worst. the hardest part of work was having to walk to work in snow and ice. i really enjoyed the customers through all of my time their. had made many friends. the part i hate was when i know longer with this company.they let me go, because of shortages from my register.as long as i had been their for 13 years i had not never been short. it seems that it only happened near the end.
Very corrosive enviroment, even with an MBA saw many others with a high school get promoted
ASSOCIATE CATEGORY MANAGER TOBACCO (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLOctober 6, 2015
I would not recommend this company to anyone for employment. Some nice co-workers however corporate environment was rough as there were always layoffs and pressure to do several additional jobs and hours without additional pay as employees were cut.
Pros
People I worked with
Cons
low pay, poor benefits, boiler-plate pressure kept employees uptight
I loved the employees that worked under me (cashiers, baggers etc)
Assistant Bookkeeper / Team Leader / Manager (Former Employee) –  Anderson, SCApril 24, 2016
On a typical day I would go in, clock in, and go straight to work. Some of the management wouldn't even say hello although I was running their entire front end by myself. I learned that I was being taken advantaged of working 3 high positions but not getting paid enough for it. I loved my co-workers. There was only one employee I didn't get along with because she was a bully not only to me, but to the entire front end staff. The hardest part of my job was trying to do the work of 3 by myself. The best part of my job was that I actually felt like my office staff, cashiers, and baggers were all one giant family. We were a great team together.
Pros
Working with such a great team
Cons
Short lunch breaks some day because others didn't know how to do my job.
Great Place to Work
Legal - Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJuly 8, 2016
Here are SE Grocers we have a strong Commitment. We strive to make our business and partnerships grow with in our communities. With the new vision from our CEO he is taking us places to put WD Brand back on the map.

Our company values are strong and maintainable. We are striving to make better stores, better families, fresher food and produce. We are big on donating and helping others.

This is a great place for first jobs, second jobs and also to retire from.
Pros
Great Atmosphere
Cons
The drive can be far
Fast paced work environment, teamwork was necessary.
FRONT-END CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Powdersville, SCApril 19, 2016
Working as a cashier at Bilo was challenging but fun. A typical day at work included checking out customers, asking how their experience was and what could have been better, handling the transaction, and keeping up my register (making sure I have enough cash and coins, cleaning station, filling receipt machine with paper). The management was strict but overall enjoyable to work with. The co-workers made the job tolerable; there was a lot of teamwork going on. The hardest part of the job was when it got really busy. Customers could become impatient and rude, especially if something went wrong with a transaction. The most enjoyable part of the job was getting into a rhythm with my co-workers and getting customers in and out as quickly as possible, making their experience even better.
Pros
Fun co-workers, breaks
Cons
Standing for 7-8 hours at a time
Grocery Store Cashier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Batesburg-Leesville, SCJune 9, 2016
A typical day just involved standing at a register all shift long. I learned communication skills, gained cash handling experience, and efficient bagging skills. Management involved multiple managers. Most of them were awesome...just had one bad apple. My co-workers were okay. Never any arguments..all professional. The hardest part was dealing with the occasional rude customers. The most enjoyable part was on the rare occasion another department was slack on help and they would send me to the rescue.
Pros
Easy Work, 5hr shifts
Cons
Occasional Rude customer
Fun and productive workplace
Volunteer Firefighter (Current Employee) –  Hartsville, SCJune 25, 2016
A typical day at work is pretty simple everyone does their job and will hold conversation with other and customers. I've learned how to operate a cash register and other basic skills. Management is good they make sure all employees are doing their job. Co-workers are fun to be around never a dull moment. The hardest part of the job is having to ring up WIC orders.Most enjoyable part of the job is being able to have freedom and conversating with my co-workers.
Pros
Having freedom
Cons
Short breaks