Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Fun, fast-paced work environment.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cerritos, CAAugust 14, 2017
Most stores are small so you're able to build friendships with co-workers. The store is divided into cashiers and sales associates but there's cross training opportunities. I haven't had any issues with management between all the stores I've visited.
Pros
Discounts and great management
Cons
Understaffed and schedule issues
Good Management with ample room for advancement
1st Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTAugust 14, 2017
Company provides ample training and room for advancement. Amazing benefits soon after reaching management. Willing to work with its employees on time off as long as you understand you can't take time off around the holidays.
great workplace environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Whittier, CAAugust 12, 2017
a typical day for a sales associate at big 5 would include greeting and assisting customers. the management was very organized and positive. i would say that the hardest part about working at big 5 would be the schedule
Pros
discount on all your favorite items
Cons
short breaks
enhancing customer service skills
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAAugust 9, 2017
As a sales associate and cashier it enhanced my multi tasking skills while still helping customers in a positive manner. I've learned that in order to be great any job you have to push yourself into the potential not only coworkers and managers see, but the potential you should see in yourself. If I put my mind to something I will achieve that goal.
Very Community Oriented Company
Second Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMAugust 8, 2017
I worked at Big 5 for about 2.5 years and I noticed that this company is very community oriented. Big 5 sponsors fund raisers, Little League, YAFL, and the surrounding schools. They are a participant in March of Dimes which is a fund raiser for children. They provide information for customers that are first time sports try-ers.
Good place to develop managerial, administrative, and organizational skills
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Various Stores, CAAugust 8, 2017
Big 5 Sporting Goods is a great place to work and develop your skill set. I worked at several stores, and learned something new and valuable at every one. Big 5 taught me how to manage my time, how to manage different people and personalities, how to problem-solve, and how to improvise.
Pros
Full-time work and benefits
Cons
No set schedule (working nights, holidays, and weekends)
Way too controlling in regards to personal expression.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseburg, ORAugust 6, 2017
We all deserve to be INDIVIDUALS. We should not have to worry about the quality of our work being belittle due to something as STUPID as tattoos, or a person's hair color.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Horrible management and company values
Favouritism
Sales/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Kennewick, WAAugust 4, 2017
Favouritism pretty much sums up my time at Big 5. Management picks and chooses their favorites even if they can't work and give them hours because they like them more. Store manager always quick to pass the blame onto the people working under him, district manager has unrealistic expectations of workers, and the opportunity to get promoted or full time is very limited and not worth the wait because the pay isn't good.
Pros
Co workers
Cons
Poor management
current manager does a poor job of maintaining proper task to be done for store
Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Bothell, WAAugust 2, 2017
District manager demands are not realistic and current 1st manager does a poor job of staying on top of staff and micromanages where it is not needed, does not work for the full required 60 hour and also make unrealistic demands from certain staff members. Does not follow proper chain of command and staff generally calls out two to three times a week and no repercussions but on the other hand will right up employees for cell phones on the floor after store hours. Poor security camera setup as well.
Pros
friendly customers for the most part and I work well with 2 Managers
Cons
Unrealistic demands, poor Management, lack of leadership, Lots of wasted time on repretative task, tons of wasted time and material on same tasks
Great company
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 1, 2017
Everyone is really great they offer all types of advancement, hard working managers that really get to know each individual that works with them. Fast paced environment but not overwhelming.
plenty of growth opportunity
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 1, 2017
Big 5 is the typical fast paced retail store. As manager you have a 100 things to do upon dealing with customers and employees. I have learned a lot about hiring, training, scheduling and merchandising. The hardest part about the job for me simply not being able to have a set schedule.
Okay place to work for while looking for other opportunities.
Relief Manager (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAJuly 30, 2017
Upper Management and organization was all over the place at my location. Lots of high school workers that didn't and wouldn't put in any effort to advance their position. Highly stressful position if you're the only individual putting in solid work and finishing others duties.
Pros
Simple.
Cons
Too many to count.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAJuly 26, 2017
Typical day involves a lot of communication with customers and keeping the store clean. The managers are cool. it is a great work place with great coworkers. The job overall isn't too hard.
fun and Quick Paced
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Grand Junction, COJuly 24, 2017
this job allowed me to expand my knowledge on sales and customer service. Working at big 5, I learned how to work in a team and to also be independent when it came to sales.
Easy going
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Idaho Falls, IDJuly 17, 2017
Great place to work, especially if you're interested in sports. Friendly coworkers, flexible hours, short breaks, and employee discounts. Minimal training to get you started. Learn about the products as you go.
Sporting equiptment
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJuly 12, 2017
Selling sporting equipment to customers for better performance and comfort. Customer service to moms and dads for children involved in sport activities
Pros
New products
Cons
Advancement
Good work Environment
Receptionist/Information Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ogden, UTJuly 5, 2017
On a typical work day I was always being taught something new to improve my work ethic while on the job. I enjoyed working there with the management and other staff members.
Pros
awesome management
Cons
short breaks, no benefits
Fun and productive
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAJuly 3, 2017
Was fun and easy. Management was great. Co-workers were very friendly and willing to help out with anything. Everyone was hard working and very dedicated to the customers.
Easy to advance
Sales Associate / 1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Springfield, ORJuly 1, 2017
If you are reliable and want a career in retail, It is easy to do so with this company. You just have to follow the standards set forth by the company
review
Cashier/Sales (Former Employee) –  La Quinta, CAJune 30, 2017
in the time i worked for big 5 i realized fast there is room for advancement but, its probably your boss you will help advance. good hours, decent pay. but the daily work can get repetitive. part timers receive no benefits what so ever. if you dont plan on trying your best to advance with this company i would not suggest applying.
Pros
good staff
Cons
bad management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.