Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Potentially hostile work enviroment.
Sales Associate - Sales and Inventory (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CASeptember 26, 2016
A typical day at work consisted of either restocking products, putting up ADD, and/or providing quality customer service. I earned valuable experience in the retail environment. But the management was really shady in terms of how they treated their workers and my co workers were passively aggressive and equally shady.
Not a good job
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Anaheim, CaSeptember 21, 2016
big 5 was my first retail job. i always felt judged by management. especially when i asked questions. the hours i was given were pathetic. i would get 10-15 hours maybe 20 on a good week. the management team wouldn't post the schedule for the week until a day or two before the week started. (ex: wednesday if i checked the schedule and i was off on thursday and it wasn't posted i would have no idea when i was working next and it was very inconvenient and hard to make outside plans). to add: the dress code was unnecessary. you have to wear office attire, dress shoes and cant have facial piercings or tattoos that show. i agree employees should look presentable but its a part time minimum job not sure why we have to dress so nice. although i am thankful to big 5 for the experience i wouldn't recommend this job to anyone. unless they were in fact simply looking for experience.
Pros
experience in retail, learned more about sporting goods
Cons
low pay, little hours, dress code, short staffed, late hours
Great place to enhance skills in customer service and sales.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CASeptember 10, 2016
Big 5 Sporting Goods is a great place to enhance any kind of skills in sales and customer service. They help you personally with feeling comfortable on talking with the customer, finding out exactly what they want. Management is very helpful when it comes to product knowledge and selling the product. The most enjoyable part of the job is the employees, the staff is amazing and fun to work with. Everyone gets along very well and enjoys each other company.
Not my vibe
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terra Linda, CASeptember 8, 2016
Might be my particular store, but there was no work ethic, neither with staff or management. Higher ups did nothing to remedy this. Left us to our own devices.
Great place for hard workers to advance
Asst. Manager/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Yuma, AZSeptember 6, 2016
A regular day of work consisted of a 9 hours shift (for management) with a 30 min. lunch. The hardest part of the job was missing family functions and holiday celebrations, best part was the paid time off and maternity leave.
Pros
Room for Advancement
Cons
Working on holidays
not bad
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVSeptember 4, 2016
the company wasnt bad to work at although the pay wasnt the greatest. i noticed that ut seems that all of the good people dont seem to last long and do move on once that they can get a better job.
I just needed a job after high school
Cashier/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Federal Way, WAAugust 31, 2016
A typical day at work was only to get in and get out. Some times days would feel so long and others would feel much shorter.
I didn't like that there was favoritism at this job.
I learned how to use the cash register from this job.
I learned how to be patient with people. I learned how to give customer service.
I learned how to mark down items on sale and restock merchandise.
Management was strict on employees which I found to be very helpful getting into different jobs.
The hardest part about this job was picking up extra hours.
What I enjoyed about this job was getting to know my coworkers and building relationships with them.
Pros
No pros
Cons
Favoristism
job in sports equipment sales
Sale Representative (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZAugust 30, 2016
fun job always had something to keep me busy, was challenging and learned a lot about sports and recreational sports equipment, only thing is if this is your first job or you do not have management experience you cant adavance
Pros
good discount student friendly
Cons
no way to advance from within without experince
Good for a first job. Not much room to grow in.
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tracy, CAAugust 27, 2016
I will always be thankful to Big 5 for giving me my first real job. But management wasn't all that great. There wasn't much room to grow in the company. Although the staff was great, management could use some work.
Great company
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodland, CAAugust 25, 2016
Great opportunities for advancement. Company cares about it's employees.

Very flexible customer service policies.

Upper management is easy to work with. If you have a desire to succeed, Big 5 will help you along the way.
Pros
paid time off instead of holidays

Want to know more about Big 5 Sporting Goods?

Ask a question
alright
Sales manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 13, 2016
job was alright as it was better then some companies yet they could improve in many ways. they could also take better care of their employees
Great place for your first job
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Thousand Oaks, CAAugust 12, 2016
Working at Big 5 you will definitely learn skills of multi tasking along with basic customer service skills as well. Management is good you have 4-5 managers however don't get too close to them, Big 5 seems to switch managers to different stores and districts without warning every so often.
Pros
discounts on sport wear and gear
Cons
short breaks, not given breaks, not enough hours
Productive and get to know the products
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMAugust 10, 2016
Working at Big 5 is the easiest job to work at. At times it could be fun and other times it can be really exhausting and frustrating. Other than that it is a cool job and has really great benefits.
Pros
get raises
Cons
working weekends
NIce place to work
First Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVAugust 10, 2016
Overall good place to work but no balance between home and work life. Great chance to advance. Hours are difficult, but then again it is "RETAIL"
Lots of interesting stuff. I love the under armour clothing.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  7306 e 36th ave Denver coAugust 9, 2016
Big five is a big store. They carry a lot of sportings stuff. Is a nice place to work. Love the customers. I was always helping people with wat they needed help with. I know every thing about this store since I work for this company for 3 years. This store was my first job. I love working here. The store is not to far away from where I live so that's a big bonus for me. I only work here as a part timer.
Scheduling
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 1, 2016
Random weekly scheduling. Immature and unprofessional staff. Repetitive processes. Lack of communication. No training for new employees
Energetic and Pleasurable with supportive boss's
Sales / Retail (Former Employee) –  Carson City, NVJuly 18, 2016
I learned about the sporting goods on the market and how they can apply for specific individual needs in every practical uses. The management was very organized and on point to getting the customers needs met as well as its employees. The work environment endorsed heavily on teamwork and communication. We liked making sure each other's responsibilities were completed as easy and efficient as possible. The hardest part of the job was leaving the work for the night. I really enjoyed working on the floor with the customers and pointing them in the right direction for the best product that would fit their needs.
Cashier and Sales floor associate
Cashier/Sales Floor (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAJuly 14, 2016
A typical day at work was very busy. There were a variety of tasks required of me to be completed.
I learned cash handling skills and was responsible the training of all new cashiers. Learned how to properly complete inventory.
Management was difficult at times but, my personality allowed for me to easily overcome any obstacles.
Overall good
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 10, 2016
Managers really looked out for their people and were very flexible on scheduling. It would vary by day how many people would come in so it was hard to judge if it was going to be a slow day or not. The hardest part of the job was the fact that the store was very small. It being small there was not much to do sometimes.
Pros
Enforced the "break" rule. Good scheduling.
Cons
Small store so not much to be done.
Review of sales associate at Big 5
Sales associate (Current Employee) –  Yorba Linda, CAJuly 9, 2016
I usually work the register and it's pretty laid back. I have learned a lot about shoes and general sporting goods. My management team is amazing, they are friendly but still in charge. As for my co-workers, we all work together as a team and get along great! The hardest part is to not take negative comments from customers too seriously, I have come a long way and improved my way of thinking though. The most enjoyable thing is making my co-workers and my customers laugh.
Pros
work was easy and laid back
Cons
pay is minimum wage