Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods Employer Reviews

Great Management Experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 5, 2014
Pros: developing key business skills
Cons: retail
Overall a great experience in general management. Developed key communication and business skills. Great company to work for if you like being recognized for hard work.
Just Another Day at Work
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Poulsbo, WAApril 22, 2014
Pros: not that busy all the time.
Cons: sometimes too much time on your hands.
Nothing very special about working here. Typical days include stocking, restocking, changing tags on all the items. It could be more fun if you were a sporty or guns type of person. I do enjoy hiking and it felt good helping people with hiking questions but other than that it wasn't that special.
Very nice people, typical work atmosphere
EXPENSE ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK (Current Employee), El Segundo, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: very nice people
Cons: no overtime ever
Management seems fair here. typical work day is check emails, prepare invoices for approval, entry and editing of file groups.

The whole company goes to lunch at the same time, that was definitely something new.

The hardest part of my job was when I had nothing to do, just sitting there watching the clock
Easy, yet boring job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), El Toro, CAApril 14, 2014
Pros: great work environment and an easy job
Cons: hard to advance and get raises, despite good performance
My store managers that I had were all excellent but the district and regional managers are very hit and miss. One year they told us that no one was getting a raise, I get it, times are though. But then the district and regional managers starting walking around with iPads. My co-workers have been mostly excellent, there are always a couple that are so-so. – more... For the most part they've been helpful and very friendly both in and out of work. I learned to get over my shyness and to approach a manner of strangers. Furthermore, I learned to figure out a product and then sell it to customers who walked in the door. The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult customers, sometimes they just grind your gears and you just have to deal with it. The most enjoyable part of the job was to sell someone the item they wanted and see their satisfaction when they come back again. – less
Horrible Hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Albany, ORApril 13, 2014
Very slow, Management never gives anyone enough hours to live off of. The people are nice, the pay is minimum wage so when you work 10 hours a day its hard to pay the bills.
Nice place to start
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee), Yuma, AZApril 10, 2014
I learned a lot from working at Big 5 Sporting Goods. It was an amazing experience as my first job. I learned how to interact with customers and help them find what they needed. The best part of the job was interacting with my co workers. Everyone who worked there was amazing. Working with great people is what made the job enjoyable.
Great working environment. Employees and manjors were wonderful people to work with.
Cashier (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAApril 7, 2014
When I was working at Big 5 I worked at the cash register. I had to learn quickly and efficiently. I learned to pay attention to the finer details, also I watched my other co-workers and picked up some tips in the sales department. Many of my shifts were opening or closing the store. During my closing shifts I helped unload boxes and clean the store. – more... I enjoyed my time working at the store and with my other co-workers. – less
fun educational workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Clinton, UTApril 7, 2014
Pros: training seminars, advancement opportunities
Cons: retail schedule didn't allow me to finish schooling
normal job duties are daily planning of each team members responsibilities, staff training, shipping and receiving, payroll and bank deposits.
Big 5
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 4, 2014
On a typical day at Big 5 there is always work that needs to be done, and customers always ready to be assisted. At this job i learned a lot of customer service skills, such as assuring the customer is finding everything alright, requesting information and always providing them with a pleasurable experience.
Customer Service
Cashier (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAApril 2, 2014
Gained lots of customer service skills. Typical cash handling and register skills.
fun sporting store, building report with customers
Manager-in-Training (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: ever changing environment, fast paced, friendly customers
Cons: variable hours, minimum wage, stressful management
Big 5 is a fun place to work. A fast paced job with plenty to do.
Sporting goods retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 17, 2014
A typical work day consist of assisting customers with their purchase. Straightening the store, or remerchandising a department. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around people that enjoy all things sports.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee), Imperial Beach, CAMarch 10, 2014
I feel the management did a great job in picking the staff, everyone got along and we wee very productive, It was a great place to work at.
great
Technical Support/Help Desk (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAMarch 1, 2014
pay was good and hours were also good. The work environment was awesome.
fun place to work
Sales associate (Current Employee), Albany, ORFebruary 23, 2014
Pros: great environment
Cons: no hours
great place to work, great co-workers, very easy going management, but little hours
Great customers and great team.
Sales/ Cashier (Current Employee), Roseburg, ORFebruary 9, 2014
Pros: employee discounts
Cons: unreliable hours
I jump from sales associate to cashier, I am the top sales associate there and I was efficient and fast at the register. I learned quite a bit about sporting goods. I really respect Big 5 and my managers and co-workers are amazing. The hardest part of working there is that the hours are not stable, especially in the winter months. I am a single mom – more... and I really can't scrimp and save anymore, it is just time for a change. As far as the most enjoyable part of the job...honestly being part of a great team and I love a fast pace work place. – less
run place to work, enjoyed being at the work place
Cashier (Former Employee), Bell Gardens, CAFebruary 6, 2014
Pros: great co-workers, management awesome
i would always walk in with a smile to work. day went by smooth and fast.
Great place to wrok
Part Time Cashier (Current Employee), Pueblo, COFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: dicounts, great coworkers, and management
Cons: not enough hours
One of the best places I worked in a long time, great managers, and coworkers.
Great Job to get started with
Cashier (Current Employee), Orange, CAFebruary 5, 2014
Pros: great team
Cons: short breaks
My typical workday would consist on ringing each customer up as well as answering phone calls from other customers and stores.
Productive and fun work environment.
Cashier and Sale Associate (Current Employee), Ceres, CAJanuary 30, 2014
Pros: the work environment is very professional.
Cons: part timers get very little hours.
I have been working for Big 5 Sporting Goods for two years. The work environment is very professional.

About Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods has outgrown its name. The company, which started out with five army surplus shops in California¬†in 1955, – Read more