Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews in United States

Big 5 Sporting goods
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 20, 2016
It is a well balanced place to work.. Lovely employees all are which just came out of high school and looking to put their feet into adult hood. The hours are really bad sometimes you only get 5 hours. a week. but overall a decent place.
Great environment to work at especially while attending a University
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Northridge, CAMay 19, 2016
A typical day at work consist of helping customers in all the departments in the store. Assisting customers with questions they may have and finding an answer them. Keeping a clean and organized store is always a key part of the job. Specific duties that I have obtained are maintaining the stock room and shoe department at all times, put I am not limited to those areas. The work environment is great and co-workers are easy to work with. Hardest part of the job is maintaining the store clean throughout your shift while assisting customers at the same time, but it is not really that difficult once you learn the job. Overall Big 5 is a great place to work I am just looking for a better opportunity elsewhere.
Pros
discounted store items
Cons
not enough hours
Advancement and Pay
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Glendale, CAMay 17, 2016
Work is great, flexible coworkers are great as well. there no advancing and its just minimum wage. no appreciation or recognition for your hard work
Great place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  La Habra, CAMay 15, 2016
A lot of sales to make. Typically laid back environment. I learned good salesmanship. Management was cool. Hardest part of the job was leaving for better opportunities. The best part was was my awesome coworkers.
Manager was very unprofessional
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ramona, CAMay 13, 2016
The manager at this location would berate you in front of clients, often making the environment for both the employee and the client a hostile one. Nothing was kept private, the manager would discuss private information with other coworkers, played favorites, made it clear that I was only there to be a pretty face. For a job right out of high school it paid the pills, but other than that I would not recommend it as a place of work.
Pros
Schedule flexibility
Cons
Unprofessional management, unprofessional staff, created a hostile environment
Productive and fun work place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 10, 2016
A typical day at Big 5 would just be me greeting entering and departing customers, cleaning the work place, ringing customers up, suggesting add on sales, and working on side projects.

I learned a lot of about how to multi-task and take care of the needs of multiple customers.

Management was like the employees' parents. They had to be strict and enforce rules, but they were also understanding whenever personal problems would arise.

Coworkers were all friends. We were like a big family. We knew how to have fun together, but when it came down to work, we would get right back to it.

The hardest part of the job was dealing with customers who weren't satisfied with our service. I wanted every customer to leave knowing they we tried everything we could to help them get what they wanted.

The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting all kinds of different people everyday and making new friends occasionally. I am a very social person, so I love meeting new people.
Pros
Friendly coworkers, understanding management
Cons
Little to no raises, rare promotions
Big 5
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Westminster, CAMay 10, 2016
It is a great place for a part-time employee going to school. Hours are very flexible and the majority of the part-time associates are college students. Managers don't ask for too much and most of the people that come into the store are relatively nice. Hardest part about the job is when a large number of customers come in at once and sometimes you are the only one working which can make the day pretty stressful.
Pros
Flexible work schedule, work with good personalities
Cons
Not many hours, cleaning customers messes
Good working flow, new people come that i get to meet and nice enviorment i love sports!
Anything you want me to do i will do it. (Current Employee) –  Casa Grande, AZMay 4, 2016
Typical day at work for me is keeping busy and helping out everyone I see that needs help, even co-workers. I love new challenges everyday and just staying busy so I never get bored. If I feel that I'm bored I will go do things that don't need to do but also make something look better. Hardest part of working will probably the rude costumers but those wont be so bad for me anymore, I got used to them so nothing will be hard anymore for me. Things I will learn out of what I do all day at work will there will be so many things I cant even pick one.
Pros
lunch breaks are good here, You get to go to a fast food place to buy your lunch if your not busy
Cons
im used to not having breaks when i worked at resturants and potatoe fileds.
Productive and healthy work environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVApril 28, 2016
The management at my particular Big 5 store were some the nicest people I've had the pleasure of working for. They taught me my job in an easily understandable way and when I screwed up they were very professional in the way they handled it.
Pros
Great managers and co-workers
Cons
Low pay, hard to advance or get promoted
Great first job to have
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 25, 2016
My typical day at work involved stocking shelves, helping customers, and taking inventory occasionally. I learned how the retail business works from the inside out and I like that it can lead to upward mobility. My co-workers were great and the only reason I left was because school started back up again. Hardest part of the job was the short breaks and the early shifts, but the most enjoyable part was having good coworkers.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Early shifts (4:30 am)
Great benefits, great environment!
Manager (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAApril 22, 2016
A typical day is always different, always something to keep you busy. There are always customers in need of sporting goods, athletic footwear, and assorted outdoor items. Management is awesome, the staff is very friendly. The environment is great! The inconsistent hours worked every week is annoying. There is no consistency to the scheduling. The best part of working in retail is building relationships with customers, and assisting them in finding products that fits their needs.
Pros
Friendly, fun, and exciting place to work. Management and staff are enjoyable to work with.
Cons
Inconsistent hours. Work all holidays and weekends.
Fun and great opportunity to grow in the company
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAApril 18, 2016
A great company to work for if you like to learn different traits. High energy and good management to help you grow. Great if you're looking to grow or acquire knowledge for future opportunities.
Sporting goods store with mom and pop shop feel.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Imperial Beach, CAApril 14, 2016
Very quiet and productive 8 hour shifts, you see about the same type of customers and there's no overwhelming feeling. Giving out fishing and hunting licenses is quick to learn and the product knowledge is easy to pick up on.
Not in business anymore
Sales floor Associate (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXApril 13, 2016
I worked there in 2011 but they are no longer in business in Midland.

The Odessa location is still there as far as I know. Its a pretty good place for a smaller selection of sporting goods. This means that customers come in for specific reasons usually.

Usually pretty relaxed.
Fun enjoyable job
Shoe Sales Men (Current Employee) –  Nampa, IDApril 12, 2016
Fun Place to work at. The co-workers are fun to work with,everyone gets along with each other. Overall its a good company to work for.
Big 5 was a decent job
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 9, 2016
The job was not difficult but fun, I enjoyed most employees except a manager that was fired not long after I left, he was the only bad part about the job.
Flexable and a nice Crew.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 7, 2016
The most enjoyable part of the job was being around people, and helping them. The worst part of the job is there really were no benefits available. I learned how to effectively run a cash register, and how to serve people properly. The management was okay, but some of the managers were rude and didn't respect the employees. My co-workers were fantastic most of the time, some did not respect the workplace at all. Overall it wasn't the worst job.
Good staff, tough work
Human Resources Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 28, 2016
The people were good to work with, but the work got really busy with seasonal stuff and that time of year would get stressful. Learned something new everyday and they gave me a chance to grow.
Productive, fun, fast paced work place. Challenging, great experience
Manager (Former Employee) –  Solana Beach, CAMarch 27, 2016
You get to work in a great environment, learn about a bunch of great product, and be around a bunch of cool people. Meet a lot of people from all around, and celebrities too. A lot of celebrities come in. Great opportunities for advancement and growth
Decent Company, Depending on Location
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMMarch 23, 2016
Overall big 5 is pretty good but depending on which location you are at the opportunities for advancement may be non-existent. And no matter which store you work at, there is never any sort of consistency between your supervisors. Ever.