Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Great work place
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Parker, COJune 7, 2017
Overall a great place to work. Plus sides are the employees, seem to get along with everyone. Downsides are no body wants to be there and it makes for a bad environment. Everyone is super friendly, but at times seem bipolar. If in management you get great benefits and decent pay, but not much time to do anything outside of work.
Some pretty cool co-workers
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sunnyside, WAJune 6, 2017
Work days were pretty slow, learned how to assists costumers and help keep them satisfied. Hardest part was probably keeping up with all the costumers during busy days, and enjoyable part would be talking to the co-workers during slow days.
slow and low hours at this location,
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Maricopa, AZJune 6, 2017
The store management had poor planning when first starting this location. Easy job. Not much to do . Good for lazy or slow paced workers. You just gotta know shoes and sports and your good.
Pros
15-25% discounts.
good job
Order Selector (Current Employee) –  Riverside, CAJune 5, 2017
hard work very physical work very fast place

nice supervisors

union job so thats good

Great place for part-time employment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WAJune 3, 2017
They are flexible with my schedule and they are great if you are going to school. Management at some stores are really good and some stores have terrible management. Go in and shop a couple of times before applying.
Pros
People
Cons
Hours and pay
I love working for this company.
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Twin Falls, IDJune 2, 2017
My fellow managers are amazing. I've been continuously given chances to grow and learn new things with the company. And for the first time I've been offered health insurance and a 401k, which is always a plus.
Very productive
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COJune 2, 2017
Always work to do, sometimes fast paced, sometimes very slow. Very fun environment, nice conworkers and managers, flexible hours and they work with your schedule very often
Good co workers and positive environment
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Valencia, CAJune 1, 2017
big 5 sporting goods is a good work environment with polite and nice co workers and managers. Many different personalities at the job and i felt very welcome my first couple of days there.
Pros
discounts on everything in the store
Cons
somewhat unorganized
Sales/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Manteca, CAMay 31, 2017
Typical day at work involves helping customers find what they need for a particular sport that he or she is involved with. I learned about the different types of shoes and which ones are good for walking, running, and training. The management of the company is nice and always want to help out their employees. There is a sport culture when it comes to working at Big 5. The hardest part about the job is trying to get projects done while trying to help customers at the same time. The most enjoyable part about the job is talking to co workers about sports.
Pros
Fun working environment.
Cons
Short breaks and short lunches
Every day is new but familiar
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAMay 30, 2017
There are always new memories and smiling faces to meet which helped me forget about the "Debby Downers"
Management is fair and helpful
Your peers will be come your best friends because they're like a family there
Enjoyable job
Cashier (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAMay 29, 2017
I gained more retail experience with this job, it was pretty enjoyable for the most part. I got a good percentage off on the clothing which was great.
avoid this place like the plague
Sales associate/Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 22, 2017
This is by far the worst company I have ever worked for. Horribly run and not well managed. I was a manager there, and the assistant store manager was mad at me for calling out of work because my wife was in labor that morning with our first born. He tried to write me up for that, but it was quickly dealt with when I complained and refused to sign the paper work.
It's a slow wrk force place, hrs are not good.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  El Centro, CAMay 20, 2017
Not a great place to wrk the hours really are bad a part timer lowest is 4-5 hrs a week. Nobody can live off of that, unless these girls live at home with there parents and don't have that much responsibilities. I live on my own and have three kids so how is 4-5 hours a week goin to pay my bills.
great first job
Asst. Store Manager (Current Employee) –  San Ramon, CAMay 20, 2017
great first job and can move up fairly quickly. can work at different locations if hours are wanted. can learn alot about different sporting goods and actives
Pros
hours
Cons
slow paced at times
Great place to work for your first job
Sales Associate Part-Time (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXMay 20, 2017
This a great environment to work at if you love sports. It is a very relaxed atmosphere. The pay is not great but raises are fairly given. I love working here because the management and environment is very generous.
Pros
Working in sports specific environment
Cons
mangers have you working too much on projects rather than providing customer service when needed
quick turn around of employees, employees not valued
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Rancho Bernardo, CAMay 18, 2017
work schedule varies constantly, it's good for students looking for work experience but it is not a good place to stay for a long period of time, temporary work only.
Relaxed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, CAMay 15, 2017
Easy going no pressure job, at least with the store in oakdale, good managers, good coworkers nothing to complain about other than they refuse to give full time hours to anybody except managers
Pros
relaxed working enviroment
Cons
short breaks, lack of hours
Good place to grow.
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  El Cerrito, CAMay 15, 2017
Dependent on leadership, this is a great place to gain managerial experience. Once you have your responsibilities down-pat, working at Big 5 can be a fun and rewarding experience.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAMay 12, 2017
Welcomed customers into the store. Answered and directed call. Rang up sales in a computer cash register. Cleaned, restocked, and organized the store. Provided excellent customer service.
A good job for a part-time student.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMay 4, 2017
The staff is very friendly, and you meet many new people. You learn very quickly how to deal with many different types of personalities, and you also get a very nice discount on all of the merchandise.
Pros
45 minute lunches
Cons
The break room is lacking.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.