Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Shoe Sales
Sales Associate / Customer Advocate (Former Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 2, 2017
It was fun selling shoes in my opinion. Speaking to people about what might benefit their feet is satisfying to me. It was my very first job so I was always excited to be there. It's a small company but they treat their associates very well. I had to dress up to but I didn't mind it.
cool job but cant be yourself
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Hayward, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Its fun working there each store is different. each store has a different vibe and the way the employee interact with each other. The only part that not cool is how serious they are regarding attire and hair color you would think in 2017 jos would lay off the hype about hair color but they dont which turns a lot of potential employees away.
Not bad but could do better
sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Upland, CAFebruary 24, 2017
It was not a bad company but the management was horrible they didn't even show pride to even help us . Ceo management really never came to come see us . Their were alot of things to be done and also management picked more workers on their favorites and some people like myself and some others deserved better
Pros
Cool coworkers
Cons
Short breaks, lousy work hours, didnt have good communication
Fast Paced Environment with Great Co-Workers
Cashier/ Sales (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAFebruary 24, 2017
Management is great, they are all very friendly and very helpful. There are many customers that come in each day and we love to have them leave with a smile on their face. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to connect with customers and assist them with the items they need to play sports.
Fun place to work
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Studio City, CAFebruary 22, 2017
The coworkers are very competitive ,
very good customer service .
i worked as cashier and i loved conversing with the customers .
the hardest part is dealing with inpatient customers.
Big 5
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZFebruary 21, 2017
If I didnt have any sort of care for what i was selling, the job couldve been worse. I liked what we sold so i cared about our products and helping our customers.
Pros
atmoshphere
Cons
dress attire
Generally Ok Work Place some unproductive work place conditions
Sales Rep/Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Reseda, CAFebruary 19, 2017
Good days were present with some bad work place conditions able to do the minimal work place requirements with little room for advancement
Lackluster and Mundane
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAFebruary 17, 2017
I was excited upon hire, however, less than 3 weeks into the job I could see that perhaps it would not be a great fit as the weekly hours promised and the actual work schedule were not in sync. I received positive reviews from Customer and Management alike, but never was scheduled for more than 2 6-hour shifts per week. I did like my co-employee and manager, who worked together to create a worthwhile workplace.
Did not work there long enough to know.
Order Filler (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 16, 2017
I worked at Big 5 for merely a day, I did not become familiar enough with the place as to rate it on a personal level. I was, however amazed at all it had to offer and wished I could have stayed longer.
Fast Paced Enviroment
Help Desk Technician (Former Employee) –  Riverside, CAFebruary 13, 2017
Pros:
- Fast paced environment, usually never have a quiet moment, good thing if you're into that
- Fun environment
- Huge break area for employees with vending machines + ping pong table

Cons:
- Management could use some help in managing
- Not enough opportunity to move up

Want to know more about Big 5 Sporting Goods?

Ask a question
Not terrible but not great
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Apple Valley, CA 92308February 11, 2017
Big 5 pays at a competitive rate and does have excellent benefits, BUT the work environment is not good whatsoever. Low morale among employees due to inadequate management, coupled with no consistency in discipline or respect among staff. There's no steady schedule so you cant get into any type of routine. Days off are random and can be as far as 6 or 7 days apart. If you are okay with your life being completely consumed by work then this will be perfect for you. If you enjoy a life outside of work, a weekly routine, structure and discipline, then this is NOT for you.
Pros
competitive pay, great benefits
Cons
no structure, inadequete management, random days off, no respect, no dicpline among staff
Great work environment
sales associate/cashier (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAFebruary 10, 2017
Everyday I looked forward to coming into work, the managers and associates where nice and friendly. I was able to come in and start right into my work and accomplish my assignments. They trusted me with new tasks i was able to open and close the store with the manager.
Pros
Great hours
Cons
Work was far from my house.
Fun Place to work
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVFebruary 10, 2017
Great fun place to work if you do not need to make alot of money. Must be at least 18 to work here. Flexible after proven you are a great employee. Opportunity to advance if interested and you have a flexible schedule or else you are stuck at minimum wage.
Pros
you get your breaks
Cons
low pay
very friendly place
Sales Men (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMFebruary 9, 2017
i worked here as my second part time job. i had a few friends and family that worked here, so it was a super chill place to work. i started off in shoes and by the time i left i was in sporting goods.
Very well rounded workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Corona, CAFebruary 8, 2017
The job is not that difficult as it was my first job. My co-workers were very nice and helpful as well as fun to work with. My bosses were very kind and always worked with my schedule.
Pros
Fun workspace, amazing co-workers, and very flexible schedule
Cons
Short breaks, on your feet alot
Great work environment with supportive management.
Sales Person (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTFebruary 8, 2017
Big 5 Provided a fun and effective work environment. I was well trained and learned many customer service/sales skills such as helping people find what they were looking for and also other products that they might need. I enjoyed keeping the store organized and keeping everything well maintained to improve customer satisfaction.
was pretty boring
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZFebruary 8, 2017
Big 5 was a pretty boring job. I would slowly separate the sales signs just so i would have something to do for a couple hours. I always was trying to find something to do as a pass time.
Pros
employee discount, made good friends
Cons
not enough to do, boring, wasnt very challenging
Friendly, well trained sales people with exciting merchandise
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Poulsbo, WAFebruary 4, 2017
Big 5 Sporting Good is very much driven to focus on customer service and helping support its employees. I always had a smile on my face as I went into work.
Pros
great discounts, fun projects, great opportunities to climb the ladder
Cons
short lunch breaks, fluctuating hours for part time staff
Satisfying starting job
Manager (Current Employee) –  Spokane, WAJanuary 30, 2017
Overall a great place to wsork. Especially if you are a student and are looking for flexible hours. Staff is friendly and you get to learn a variety of tasks. Any given day could be different; you could be stocking product, helping customers, cashiering, answering phones or repricing merchandise. Overall good work environment
Pros
great learning environment
Cons
relatively low pay and non static hours
Easy Paycheck
Sales Associate, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Daly City, CAJanuary 27, 2017
I would never work here outside of a part time position. It was just an easy paycheck to survive in college. Had fun working with my coworkers
Pros
Flexible, Easy work, Low expectations
Cons
Pay Rate

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.