Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews in United States

Great workplace that teaches you about customer service
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Long Beach, CAMarch 1, 2016
Big 5 Sporting Goods has provided me with the tools to be a successful worker wherever I choose to go in the future.

My management always strives for me to do my best. I am very grateful for the opportunity that they have given me to work for them.
functional job
Customer Service/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Red Bluff, CA, Stockton,CAFebruary 29, 2016
This job was ok. It wasn't my favorite and I wasn't old enough to move up in the company. The management was just ok. I would usually assist customers, check people out at the cash registers. I was in charge of my own drawer which at the end of every shift we would count.
Pros
Got to learn about the product
Cons
Wasn't old enough for the management program
Flexible work environment for students.
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAFebruary 27, 2016
Assisting customers in order to produce sales all while maintaining a clean workplace. Dressing in a professional manner as well as presenting a professional demeanor.
Easy, Fast, and simple
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAFebruary 24, 2016
IT was easy job, an active job as well moving around helping lots of customer, usually busy, good paying job $10dollars an hour.
fun work place
cashier (Current Employee) –  El Paso, TXFebruary 23, 2016
i like working here because the employees and managers make it a good work place for everyone. The hardest part i would say is dealing with customers that are angry about something. i learned how to better my self in assisting customers with face to face interactions.
Pros
close with employees
Cons
not enough working hours
Loved it!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2016
It was fast paced but everyone was great and the whole store worked as a team and we always got things done n a timely manner and met the deadlines.
Another big chain retail store who treats employees with no value.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Yucca Valley, CAFebruary 11, 2016
I would not recommend this job because there is no stability offered whatsoever unless you are in management. The people are all hard working and treat each other fairly but its a huge corporation who does not value there general employees.
Good Company for Students
Manager Trainee/Relief Manager (Current Employee) –  Nampa, IDFebruary 10, 2016
The great perk is that this job is great for college students. My manager would schedule me around my school schedule which was great for studying and getting homework done. You also get a 401k after a 1,000 hours put in.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
30 min. Lunch
fun work
sales (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAFebruary 10, 2016
fun place to work put not very many hours. I learned how to stock and sell items to people.The mangers are nice and positive and everyone was fun to work with
Great Place to be a part timer
Sales Associate/ Truck Crew (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTFebruary 9, 2016
Working at big five taught me a lot of things. i learned things about sports and accessories that i had no idea about before. The environment is great and management made my experience even greater.
Pros
Fantastic environment
Cons
Low Pay
Frustrating at times
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Kirkland, WAFebruary 7, 2016
Comes with all the pitfalls of retail work. Very easy to schedule around your school or life outside of work. No opportunity for advancement unless over the age of 21 and to go into their management program. Hours were allocated by corporate offices meaning no guarantees of hours, part time workers were payed minimum wage with reviews for a "raise" every 6 months. A good review would net you a raise of 25 cents at most and would take roughly 3 months after a review to show up on your paycheck.
Pros
Good balance for having life outside of work
Cons
No benefits, no better than minimum wage
Fun and easy job.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 5, 2016
Steady company with versatile growth opportunity. Fun job, easy to learn. Job requirements seldom allow much time for the family though.
Pros
Great benefit package
Cons
Not enough time for family life.
Tolerable workplace
Cashier/Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORFebruary 5, 2016
The energy is always great and everyone has a presentable personality. I've learned skills to be a good cashier and sales representative. Sadly, management is not the greatest. Since I started working there, they just did a "quick hire" and hired whoever applied and came in. That would seem fine, but unfortunately, they did not hire the best people. Most of my coworkers are extremely unreliable and have no work ethic. This job is not hard, you just have to get used to the routine. The workers at Big 5 are very good people and good at heart, they're just extremely unprofessional. The hardest part of the job is showing up to fix mistakes from the people who worked earlier that day. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Laziness
Good place to develop customer service skills
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Terra Linda, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service mostly through experience. Some tips offered here and there by upper management but not much. Most days as management are repetitive. Same daily tasks, but there is always at least one project that should be getting worked on that is out of the ordinary. Upper management expects a lot to be done with few resources making it difficult at times. The best part of the job though is the people you work with. There is definitely a variety of people who you will end up working with that makes for interesting interactions.
Sales man
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CAFebruary 2, 2016
This place is good to start out at but dont make it a career out of this unless your spouse has a good job or if you live at home with your parents still
Pros
get to be around sporting equipment
Cons
not so many hours
Enjoyable Place to Work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Big 5 was a great place to work while getting my Bachelor Degree. They were flexible with classes knowing that school came first. However, advancement up into Corporate is difficult and confusing.
Pros
Flexible.
Cons
Limited Opportunity for Advancement
csr
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 27, 2016
cashier answering phones truck shipment sales mgmt. was awesome store manage had all us reach our goals and push us to achieve. job never hard or easy just do as told
Great Environment, lack of hours
RETAIL/SALES FLOOR (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJanuary 23, 2016
The management and co workers were great to deal with and work with. It was a very comfortable environment unfortunately just couldn't make a living of the wages
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours, slow paced, tedious
Very active work place
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Great work environment. I loved the work I did and learned so much within the Human Resources work field. Management team was amazing and always will to help when needed.
Fun place to work at that keeps you moving.
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 6, 2016
Big 5 Sporting Goods, specifically the one in Bellevue WA, was a great place to work at. I had amazing co-workers and a creative and ambitious management team. It was both fun and busy. Some days were hard because of particular conditions that arose, like taking care of customers while handling a particularly large project or load of merchandise, but overall, it was great!
Pros
Friendly and proactive team, great place to start out in