Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace.
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Clinton, UTJanuary 21, 2017
A typical day at work, keeping myself busy. Keeping the store look neat. Helping customers. I learned a lot about proper customer service. The hardest part would be short staffed, and having lots to do. The most enjoyable part would be the environment itself. Being surrounded by positivity.
Pros
Always keeping myself busy, nice co workers.
Cons
Pay rate
Productive and relaxed workplace. Fun and alot of skills to be learned.
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJanuary 18, 2017
Big 5. That was a great place to work on most days. I would come in, clock in, do a shoe verification, then straighten the store. On some days I would also set new advertisements. Most days customers came in pretty regularly, but not in herds. I would help size a customer, and then I would grab whatever shoe they chose in their size. If we didn't carry the size, I would grab a shoe that is similar. I would also accept calls for shoes and other merchandise, and if needed, put item on hold for customers. I would also help carry out big items, and place them into the customers vehicle. I learned many basic job safety skills, ladder safety skills, retail skills, and customer service skills. I also picked up some basic technology skills too. Management was the COOLEST. They were very understanding when it came to leave and sick time. They were also very helpful when it came to unloading merchandise from the truck, as well as covering for lunches and illness. The Co-workers were also very cool. They were funny, positive, smart, and experienced. You could ask anyone for help with anything and you got it instantly. The hardest part of the job was memorizing what was and what was not on the shoe wall. With so many different pairs, different brands, colors, and sizes, it was initially hard to identify, without the book, which were where, and which were missing. The most enjoyable part was the hours. the job was so very flexible in hours. I worked maybe a couple of hours one day, then a full shift the next, all because of school, and then the schedule would change when I needed to have  more... something fixed.  less
Pros
Discounts on entire store, flexible hours, full-time benefits, chance for promotions, easy but sometimes physically demanding workload.
Cons
Short staffed often, very lenient with punishment, often called in on too short notice.
Productive and fun environment
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXJanuary 18, 2017
Staff was great, all guidelines and needs were expressed clearly.
I was the cashier that attended to customers in need.
I learned to work in a face paced environment with little supervision.
My co-workers were all great, energetic individuals.
Productive workplace with low employee happyness
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newport, ORJanuary 14, 2017
great part time job for those in need. the only problem i had was at the time i was busy trying to start school and they wouldn't fluctuate hours and ended up giving me more, causing me to have to push back when i started college over a year.
Pros
discounts, great motivational managing staff, and very well skilled sales associates
Cons
not very busy, low employee happinesss
Productive environment with chances to advance in workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJanuary 12, 2017
Big 5 Sporting Goods is a fun fast paced environment when the store gets busy. Management does a tremendous job working with part-time employees to help get the most out of every situation.
Pros
Easy learning in sales, schedule flexibility, fast paced
Cons
short hours
Very well enviorment.
Sales Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJanuary 12, 2017
A typical day at work was having great customer service skills in which was mandatory. I learned that Big 5 Sporting Goods was not just a shoe store, but Big 5 Sporting Goods also sold different types of assorted sporting goods, and as to exercise clothing, all sizes, snacks, and beverages. I loved my Management, and I enjoyed working with my co-workers. The most enjoyable part of my job was to practice employee's safety.
Pros
We got breaks, and we were able to go to lunch.
Cons
Short breaks.
I'm not writing a review.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pahrump, NVJanuary 12, 2017
There are good big 5s. Great ones. I've only ever ran into one bad one.
And this one is the greatest and a part of the most wonderful district.
Productive work place with great employees and managers that are easy to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Castle Rock, COJanuary 10, 2017
Great work place and good work environment. If your looking for a part time position it is definitely a good company to work for. Very lenient to work around your sechedule and give you the hours you want.
Pros
Discounts on merchandise
Cons
Part time.
Good work environment
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IdahoJanuary 9, 2017
I liked the aspect of face to face contact with the customer, L learned several aspects of this job. We had a good team and management.
Pros
training
Cons
Not enough hours
good place
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Susanville, CAJanuary 7, 2017
i liked this job for the only fact of my manager was very helpful in working around school schedule. i was "forgotten" 3 times when it came to a review every six months so i was never givin a raise.
Pros
fun
Cons
low pay
fun work environment
Manager in Training (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMJanuary 5, 2017
Helped customers and directed and assisted staff with daily duties. performed office duties as management. Performed managerially duties while still making sales and keep staff busy.
Pros
fun
Cons
times and hours worked
Cahier
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Clovis, NMJanuary 4, 2017
Acted as the first point of contact for customers and maintained a clean sales floor. Balance the cash drawers at the end of the day and handled cash and card payments.
Pros
Met intersting people.
Fun place to work, limited opportunity for advancement
Sales Floor Associate (Former Employee) –  El Cajon, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Fun place to work and good first job, but not a lot of room for advancement. The pay is horrible and hard work doesn't seem to get noticed. Rarely will get raises or if you do it won't be much.
Pros
Fun atmosphere, good employee discounts
Cons
Opportunity for advancement, pay
the fun but hard working store with little to no raise
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, CADecember 29, 2016
typical day would be helping customers find items they are searching for and then heading to the cashiers box and ring them up and learned a lot of valuable information about the products we carried. management was good, they always helped when needed and co workers would help out with the work load, we all had different rolls in the store to make it run smoothly. The hardest part was trying to get some co workers on the same page and work as a team, also hard because i would be left to do a heavier work load. the fun part was being around sports all day
Pros
discount on items
Cons
pay
Awesome!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Covina, CA 91722December 29, 2016
Covina store is the best! Big and carries a lot more product than most. The staff is very attentive and willing to help. Management tries their best to compensate for products that are not carried. Overall best place to learn customer service and a great "family" to work for.
Fun while learning managerial skills
Manager Trainee (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CADecember 15, 2016
Good Company to develop managerial skills and gain experience. Company does not value education which is the only downside of working here, but if you do have a college background and are in the habit of learning and applying you'll move up quickly.
big 5 wasnt the funnest job but it was work
Customer service (Former Employee) –  The Dalles, ORDecember 8, 2016
A typical day at work, would be standing at the register all day occasionally talking to my co-workers when they would walk by every now and then, work was always slow so there wasnt much to do until closing time because i couldnt leave the check stand. What i learned working here is that i could never work in retail again. My managers were okay yet very rude at times, i guess they felt like picking on the younger newby was okay? my co-workers were pretty cool most of them, we got along all great. The most enjoyable thing about this job was getting to know my co-workers.
Big 5 Sporting Goods was a great start
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Colrado Springs, CODecember 6, 2016
I started working for Big 5 as a part timer and went into management after I turned 21. It has been a good place for me up until recently. I would like to enter a new work environment, and expand my horizons. Working at Big 5 recently has been stressful, co-workers are there just to receive a paycheck and don't have the passion of Big 5 as when I first started. Management has also taken a turn, and our sales have declined.
Pros
Good place to start
Cons
Management, co-workers, lack of respect.
Loved working here
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Apple Valley, CADecember 6, 2016
Awesome place to work. Very flexible hours. Managers were very understanding of the fact I was working 2 jobs and worked around it. Depending on the day it could be slow when no customers are coming in.
big 5 review
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Delano, CANovember 30, 2016
i would be on the register all day and ring up customers. also, price change, stocking. the hardest part was the insufficient break times, but overall the job was fairly easy.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.