Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Busy workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), San Lorenzo, CAFebruary 6, 2015
Pros: store management, employees
The most enjoyable part of working with Big 5 is working with a lot of great people (mostly college students), we all get the chance to work together to help out all people who walk in the store or call. We are always busy doing something, either completing transaction, printing out fishing and hunting licenses, answering questions from customers, helping customers shop and working on store projects.
summarized in resume
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Campbell, CAFebruary 6, 2015
To assure policies and procedures are being established and compliant.
To Assure Policies and procedures are being established and Compliant.
To Develop and train store personnel to maintain a motivated and professional workforce.
To assist in the attainment of the stores productivity goals.
Good place to work for first job or need a little money while in school
Salesman/Customer Service (Current Employee), Stockton, CAJanuary 23, 2015
Pros: great working team
Cons: short brakes, no health coverage if part-time
Sale and help customers

Make sure areas are clean

The harest part is to do all these things if its really busy

Its Most enjoyable making sure each customer is helped
This job helped me to improve my customer service skills.
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Hanford, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Opening and closing duties for a manager was a multitask job. Versifying safe funds, preparing store and staff for customers. It was a fast pace work place. It helped me to earn my Firearms instructor licences. I leaned to manager on a high production rate.
a family like oriented work enviornment ,that varies from slow to fast paced
sales associate (Current Employee), fontana, caJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: flexible hours, nice co-workers, great managers
Cons: no real advancement opportunities
Management is great at big 5 , they work around the school schedule I have and offer a supportive ear when employees are going through a personal matter . Which is why big 5 Is like a family . Tasks are not too challenging but their are many things to occupy a full 8 hour shift. Advancement on the other hand can take quite some time and in my opinion is not worth the wait if their is another more lucrative field to get into, which is why I'm looking for a career in my field of study.
Job that teaches you the skills necessary for a competitive work environment.
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 8, 2015
At Big5 Sporting Goods, you are taught the necessary customer service, B2B relations team oriented skills required by most companies that are looking for that ideal job candidate. It is a fast pace work environment that requires you to think on your toes and work with a large team of co-workers.
I believe in Big 5 Sporting Goods! Great place to work!
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), Denver, CODecember 30, 2014
Pros: flexible schedule
Cons: full time hours only available to management, and during holidays
I enjoy the laid back, helpful atmosphere we provide as cashiers and sales clerks at Big 5 Sporting Goods. People in the community come to us for their sporting goods because they know we can help them get almost everything they need without hassle. I love the neat things we sell so everyone can stay active and have fun, and for a reasonable price too!

We are friendly, we'll remember you, and we're always there to help.
Fun workplace, hours limited.
Sales/Customer Service (Current Employee), Barstow, CADecember 30, 2014
Pros: fun work place, great co workers, conveniently located around food places.
Cons: limited hours among part time associates.
typical work day includes setting new sale signs, reviewing shoe wall and verifying all shoes are displayed correctly, cleaning the stockroom, and assisting customers. Heightened my skills in customer service and in sales. Also how to add on merchandise to a sale. Co-workers are great, everyone is very helpful, great work environment. Management isn't so friendly. Seem to take their management roles too seriously and look down upon part timers. Hardest part of the job is dealing with shop lifters and rude customers. Most enjoyable part of the job is helping customers find products that fit their needs and getting to know them on a more personal basis.
Way to many managers and supervisors
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Rexburg, IDDecember 30, 2014
Pros: high pace retail experience
Cons: management and pay scale
While big 5 is a great place to work it is can also be a very hostile environment to work in. The regional, district and loss prevention managers all had different ideas of how stores should look. Sometimes it would be very stressful. Granted the management team within the store had a good idea on what was trending and selling well. Overall a good place to work if only looking for seasonal and part time work. I wouldn't recommend the management program to anyone.
Couldn't ask for much more from a retail job; I enjoyed working here.
Sales Associate, (Former Employee), Burlington, WADecember 22, 2014
Pros: managment, friendly co-workers, laid-back enviornment, flexible schedules, a lot less pressure than other retail jobs i have had, employee discounts, good college job with managment opppurtunities at 21.
Cons: inconsistent hours depending on the time of year, pay (no comission), repetitive, training manuals are really outdated
The management at store 182 was excellent! There was a good mix of giving you clear instruction on what to do during your shift without feeling micro managed; the managers and my coworkers were all friendly and laid back, we had fun at work while still getting the job done.

The job wasn't very difficult once you learned the ropes, all of the sales associates had their areas of expertise and areas – more... of weakness. There is a lot to learn about the products throughout the store but it comes with time, the managers are willing and encourage you to ask about departments of uncertainty and they will teach you more about it; I was often able to get somebody else to cover the gun department because I wasn't knowledgeable in that area.

A typical day consists of engaging customers around the store and asking if they need help with anything, the shoe department is the highest traffic area where I spent the most time. We would normally have a couple tasks on our work board for the day such as sizing shoes, sweeping the backroom, making shoe displays etc. On truck days (once a week) we would come in at 4 a.m. and unload the truck and then stock merchandise alongside helping customers for most of the day. Between ad set, truck, sizing shoes etc. it gets repetitive but you learn where the product is pretty quick.

The hardest part of the job is the same as any other retail job, dealing with the angry customers; you are going to get the customers who think you should be an expert in every single department but as long as you are honest and don't BS them by making up stuff to seem knowledgeable and offer to get a manager to help them when they are free there normally isn't any problems. Other than that the job isn't very difficult.

This is a good job for someone in college, I was going to college part-time as well as coaching basketball and refereeing and they were able to accommodate all of those commitments in my work schedule. Hours are inconsistent throughout the year however for part-timers because the sporting goods industry isn't stable (busy at the start of sports seasons and the holidays, extremely slow in January and February). – less
Very good company
1st Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Durango, CODecember 19, 2014
Pros: pay and benefits
Cons: continuity
Overall good work environment. Learned many retail skills. As a satellite store there is difficulty to work with upper management to advance. Good co-workers are difficult to find as part time pay is very low. The hardest part of any retail management position is the difficult customers. The best part of any retail management position is the wonderful customers that you get to meet and work with everyday.
It's a very productive and competitive place to work
SQL Server/SSIS/SSRS ETL developer (Former Employee), El Segundo, CANovember 27, 2014
Working at Big 5 Sporting Goods, I had a chance to work with a group that is very hardworking, competitive and adventurous. Our superiors really took the time to reward us for all our hard work and that keep the motivation going.
Multitasking
Cashier (Former Employee), Walnut Creek, CANovember 20, 2014
Night shifts were usually pretty slow and got a little fast paced towards closing time. I learned how to handle multiple telephone calls. Management was okay friendly but hardly ever out on floor only when needed but usually slow. Co-workers were nice and helpful.
Great college job.
Retail Sales Associate (Former Employee), Olympia, WANovember 19, 2014
Great for a college student with a busy work schedule. Having a passion for sports with help.
Sometimes Productive and Sometimes Good Atmosphere
Manager Trainee (Current Employee), Denver, CONovember 17, 2014
Pros: benefits, learning about management
Cons: unmotivated workers, dull atmosphere, not knowing days of work each week
Working here has been teaching me some things about management. I have met some good people as well but it's not a job i would like to stay at. I'm not a huge fan of retail and I don't like the atmosphere of the store i work at now. I'd rather work a Mon.-Fri. 9-5 job as a trainee or manager and think it would work alot better for me. A typical day at work is fixing up the store and helping customers – more... and running the footwear apartment most of the day. The most enjoyable part is learning things about being a manger and the hardest part is having to manage unmotivated workers who don't work as hard as they could. I've learned some good responsibilities of what it takes to be a good manager and the common responsibilities they have to do. The store manager is good and always motivated, but the other 2 are kind of in between when they want to work and not want to work. It's been a pretty good experience for me so far but i do think i can do better. – less
Good review
Manager Trainee (Current Employee), Salem, ORNovember 4, 2014
Big 5 is a good place to work for the time being. It's a stepping stone and a great resume builder for me at this point. I deal with customers on a daily basis and deliver exceptional customer service.
Fast pace environment
management (Former Employee), Ventura, CAOctober 29, 2014
Pros: fast pace, room to grow with company
As a manager at Big 5 Sporting Goods we had many tasks to be done on a daily basis. The day would start out by setting goals for the entire store to achieve, then set goals for each employee to achieve that day whether it be selling a certain amount of one product or rearranging a section of the store. The management team knew we all had to work together as a team in order for the store to run properly. The most enjoyable part of working at Big 5 Sporting Goods was working around a huge assortment of people and that you would always be busy.
Fun camp service
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), El Cajon, CAOctober 28, 2014
Pros: fun enviroment
Cons: messy clean ups
A typical day at work would be very positive , and encouraging environment.
Learned how to work with others.
Co workers were very nice , kept to them selves.
Hardest part was labor.
Enjoyable part was overall expirence and getting to know people closer.
Fun work place
Sales Clerk (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 25, 2014
Pros: funny co-workers
Cons: short breaks
A typical day would be helping customers find what they are looking for. I learned a lot more about sports and the different types of equipment they use. I had really funny co-workers.
secure company