Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews in United States

Love working here
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CADecember 15, 2015
Loved coming to work my co workers became some of my closet friends. Manager were awesome and easy to get along with. Even when the store got swapped it was always a team effort
Pros
Happy work environment
Cons
low pay not enough hours
Fun enjoyable job
Shoe Sales Men (Current Employee) –  Nampa, IDApril 12, 2016
Fun Place to work at. The co-workers are fun to work with,everyone gets along with each other. Overall its a good company to work for.
Productive week restocking and organizing products
Manager Trainee (Former Employee) –  Capo Beach, CAOctober 13, 2015
My week would start with unloading the shippments from the truck at 5am and the rest of the week we spent organizing and tagging our Product. the uloading part was fun the not so fun part was having to tag the product.
Pros
2, 10 minute breaks and a lunch... plus benefits.
Cons
management kept micromanaging, and always under staffed
Big 5
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Barstow, CA 92311May 20, 2016
Big 5 is a good place to work, and I have learned a lot from working there. I've have gained tons of experience as a cashier.
Productive and easy job
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 28, 2015
Can't complain. Very lenient and caring managers, well at my store. A day at work is very different every other day. One day you are tagging shoes. Another day you can be tagging exercise. Each day is different you can help out many people some with a certain sport others with gun information or ammunition. Fishing etc it all is different each day.
Pros
Good environment
Loved it!
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZFebruary 18, 2016
It was fast paced but everyone was great and the whole store worked as a team and we always got things done n a timely manner and met the deadlines.
Very active work place
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Great work environment. I loved the work I did and learned so much within the Human Resources work field. Management team was amazing and always will to help when needed.
Would not mind Returning
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CADecember 11, 2015
Working with customers that don't speak English was, without a doubt, the most difficult part of my job. The upside was that I gained patience among other things. Big 5 was a very fun place to work, coworkers and all.
Easy, Fast, and simple
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  El Centro, CAFebruary 24, 2016
IT was easy job, an active job as well moving around helping lots of customer, usually busy, good paying job $10dollars an hour.
csr
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 27, 2016
cashier answering phones truck shipment sales mgmt. was awesome store manage had all us reach our goals and push us to achieve. job never hard or easy just do as told
Productive workplace with fun coworkers!
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, WASeptember 12, 2015
I really enjoyed working at big 5! The company is very well managed and they are very flexible with there schedules. I liked how they had a set schedule for all the projects, it made getting work done very easy. I also loved all my coworkers that worked there we all got along very well! It was nice to be able to go to work and still have fun!
Pros
Great coworkers & flexible schedule
Cons
short breaks
fun work
sales (Former Employee) –  Yakima, WAFebruary 10, 2016
fun place to work put not very many hours. I learned how to stock and sell items to people.The mangers are nice and positive and everyone was fun to work with
Overall A Fun Place To Work.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Covina, CAOctober 24, 2015
Fun place to work. Fast paced environment in which continuous multitasking was required. Customer Service was always the number one priority. Nice co workers. Always challenging and exciting.
Pros
Nice lunch breakroom.
Cons
Small Backroom with limited storage capacity.
Exhausting
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  CASeptember 2, 2015
I have been with this company for over 10 years. I have climbed the ladder as far as I can go, when you reach store manager level at a high volume store, you are stuck. There are no incentives to keep you striving for more. There are no more advancement opportunities. You have to find ways to keep yourself motivated. The exhausting part is coming up with new ways to motivate yourself.
Pros
Great people, Good training
Cons
Hours, lack of advancement opportunity
Assistant Manager
SECOND ASSISTANT MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Mesa, AZSeptember 29, 2015
I have worked for the company for a long time. The company has given me a lot and I am not trying to bash on the company. The company could use some improvements. Management has the hardest time getting positive feed back. The Job itself is easy and can be fun if you like to sell. Part timers do not get paid above minimum wage but there is a reason their job is easy all they do is sell, clean and maybe a few other tasks. Management could use a little positivity and more flexibility in work schedule. They do not work around school. It would be better with set schedules but that still couldn't fix it. They also need to work on trying to relocate managers closer to their homes if possible. You see this district battles over their mangers and it sucks for the ones trying to get into the other districts.
Pros
Pay is good. Job is easy.
Cons
Work/ life balance, Struggle to get days off, Lack of coverage.
This is a good place to work for young students but does not provide advancement oppertunities.
Cashier/Salesman (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZOctober 23, 2015
This is a great place to work for young students trying to work and got to school but it does not provide advancement opportunities.
Pros
Flexable scheduling
Cons
No room for advancement, poor pay
An amazing workplace with amazing people
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CANovember 16, 2015
Had many grand experiences working here, made lots of friends and worked hard with them. the only issue was an issue myself and several other employees had with the corporate management.
late pay
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CANovember 19, 2015
They were very inconsistent with pay, and its very frustrating dealing with temp agency. Some weeks theyll have your check in another city the next theyll have it on them. They hesitated to pay what i worked for
Pros
Cons
hard labor
this place was fun and healthy environment to work in
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, CONovember 6, 2015
i had tons of fun with the employees and the customers this place was a healthy place to work in there were never any problems with anyone and everybody was always happy i remember always happy to go to work!
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Dalles, ORDecember 4, 2015
I would get there and always be ready to work with a great group of people that always laughed and I always had a great time doing anything they put me up too.
Pros
great environments
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.