Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Fun and easy job.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Littleton, COFebruary 5, 2016
Steady company with versatile growth opportunity. Fun job, easy to learn. Job requirements seldom allow much time for the family though.
Pros
Great benefit package
Cons
Not enough time for family life.
Tolerable workplace
Cashier/Sales Rep (Current Employee) –  Gresham, ORFebruary 5, 2016
The energy is always great and everyone has a presentable personality. I've learned skills to be a good cashier and sales representative. Sadly, management is not the greatest. Since I started working there, they just did a "quick hire" and hired whoever applied and came in. That would seem fine, but unfortunately, they did not hire the best people. Most of my coworkers are extremely unreliable and have no work ethic. This job is not hard, you just have to get used to the routine. The workers at Big 5 are very good people and good at heart, they're just extremely unprofessional. The hardest part of the job is showing up to fix mistakes from the people who worked earlier that day. The most enjoyable part is the flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Laziness
Good place to develop customer service skills
2nd Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Terra Linda, CAFebruary 4, 2016
I learned a lot about customer service mostly through experience. Some tips offered here and there by upper management but not much. Most days as management are repetitive. Same daily tasks, but there is always at least one project that should be getting worked on that is out of the ordinary. Upper management expects a lot to be done with few resources making it difficult at times. The best part of the job though is the people you work with. There is definitely a variety of people who you will end up working with that makes for interesting interactions.
Sales man
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hanford, CAFebruary 2, 2016
This place is good to start out at but dont make it a career out of this unless your spouse has a good job or if you live at home with your parents still
Pros
get to be around sporting equipment
Cons
not so many hours
Enjoyable Place to Work
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Dimas, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Big 5 was a great place to work while getting my Bachelor Degree. They were flexible with classes knowing that school came first. However, advancement up into Corporate is difficult and confusing.
Pros
Flexible.
Cons
Limited Opportunity for Advancement
csr
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Fullerton, CAJanuary 27, 2016
cashier answering phones truck shipment sales mgmt. was awesome store manage had all us reach our goals and push us to achieve. job never hard or easy just do as told
Great Environment, lack of hours
RETAIL/SALES FLOOR (Former Employee) –  Coeur d'Alene, IDJanuary 23, 2016
The management and co workers were great to deal with and work with. It was a very comfortable environment unfortunately just couldn't make a living of the wages
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough hours, slow paced, tedious
Very active work place
Office Clerk (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Great work environment. I loved the work I did and learned so much within the Human Resources work field. Management team was amazing and always will to help when needed.
Fun place to work at that keeps you moving.
sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bellevue, WAJanuary 6, 2016
Big 5 Sporting Goods, specifically the one in Bellevue WA, was a great place to work at. I had amazing co-workers and a creative and ambitious management team. It was both fun and busy. Some days were hard because of particular conditions that arose, like taking care of customers while handling a particularly large project or load of merchandise, but overall, it was great!
Pros
Friendly and proactive team, great place to start out in
Soccer cleats
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Jackson, CADecember 22, 2015
Co-works are great at big five sporting goods. Managers always help you and want you to grow at there store. I leaned how to work as a team, and how if there is one mistake everyone takes the blame, they don't point fingers. Great Place to work and to shop
Pros
discounts
Cons
health care
Productive workplace meeting new people.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Laveen, AZDecember 21, 2015
The most enjoyable part of working at Big 5 Sporting Goods was customer service. I enjoy meeting new people, learning new ways to satisfy the needs of customers, and most of all having amazing co-workers which made us a team.
Pros
2 15 mins breaks 1 30 min lunch
Cons
no healthcare
sales associate (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZDecember 21, 2015
I've worked at two different big 5 stores and both were fun places to work, very educational, every employee is happy and can't wait to get back to work.
Too much, little time
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVDecember 20, 2015
Too much to do in a little time for one person. Asked too much for the cashiers to do to keep up with the sales, lack of technology that helped with the customers.
Preferred Sportsman Retailer
Shoe Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  North Bend, ORDecember 20, 2015
Enjoyed working there managers were friendly. Hardest part was helping people with stinky feet try on shoes. learned a lot more about sports. Help customers get online coupons and reorganized shelf's.
Pros
Discount on sports equitment
Cons
very little hours
Love working here
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Clovis, CADecember 15, 2015
Loved coming to work my co workers became some of my closet friends. Manager were awesome and easy to get along with. Even when the store got swapped it was always a team effort
Pros
Happy work environment
Cons
low pay not enough hours
Terrible Company
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WADecember 15, 2015
I worked for this company for about 2 years and it just got worse and worse. No one wanted to work and kind of just lounged around while I broke my back, figuratively speaking. Management, sales associates, and cashiers all treated customers like garbage and wondered why our numbers were so low. I experienced a huge amount of racism in my short amount of time there, towards both employees and customers. The N word was even used at times. I don't recommend working or shopping at this company.
Pros
Cons
Everything/Racist
Would not mind Returning
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Alhambra, CADecember 11, 2015
Working with customers that don't speak English was, without a doubt, the most difficult part of my job. The upside was that I gained patience among other things. Big 5 was a very fun place to work, coworkers and all.
productive and fun work place, team work
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Santa Rosa, CADecember 8, 2015
Great company to work for. Managers and co-workers are working toward a common goal, and the work culture cultivated a very friendly environment. As with any customer service job, the hardest part is getting reprimanded by a customer for something you did not do or could not control. The best part of this job, was knowing you were helping people immediately.
Fun Work Place
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 8, 2015
A fun work place with supportive management. A typical day at work would just be helping customers find the right shoes, sporting goods, or camping gear. Answering phones and questions all through out the day. There wasn't anything really challenging about this job, it was fun and my coworkers were awesome. Most enjoyable part would have to be the people, I love working around people.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  The Dalles, ORDecember 4, 2015
I would get there and always be ready to work with a great group of people that always laughed and I always had a great time doing anything they put me up too.
Pros
great environments
Cons
short breaks

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.