Big 5 Sporting Goods

No gratitude
Old boys club
Customers are brutal
Met some good people
convenient sporting goods store with a wide variety of choices for athletic hobbies
Product Specialist (Former Employee), Nampa, IDMay 12, 2014
Pros: discounts on products
Cons: poor process of sorting inventory in the back room and in the store
I enjoyed my time with Big 5. The atmosphere is friendly and we are asked to learn about the products we are selling.
Learned a lot working there.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Stockton, CAMay 12, 2014
A typical day I would operate a cash register. I would receive/exchange money. I would process payments via cash/debit/credit. I would greet and assist customers on what they were looking for. I would answer phones as well and restock shelves when needed.
Retail and sales
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMay 8, 2014
Pros: team work
Awesome team, great working environment. Everyone pitches in and loves what they do on a daily bases. Everyone showed respects towards their suprior.
Great Management Experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 5, 2014
Pros: developing key business skills
Cons: retail
Overall a great experience in general management. Developed key communication and business skills. Great company to work for if you like being recognized for hard work.
Just Another Day at Work
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Poulsbo, WAApril 22, 2014
Pros: not that busy all the time.
Cons: sometimes too much time on your hands.
Nothing very special about working here. Typical days include stocking, restocking, changing tags on all the items. It could be more fun if you were a sporty or guns type of person. I do enjoy hiking and it felt good helping people with hiking questions but other than that it wasn't that special.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Payson, AZApril 17, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and managers
Cons: on my feet for long periods of time
The management is easy to work with, enabling me to work weekends as a supplementary source of employment to my regular full-time employment, which is a huge bonus!

My co-workers, as well as managers are fun to work with; together we make a good team; in addition to that, I am always busy and have the opportunity to meet and talk with a variety of customers, making my shift productive, as well as a positive experience.

All in all, Big 5 is an enjoyable place to work.
Very nice people, typical work atmosphere
EXPENSE ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK (Current Employee), El Segundo, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: very nice people
Cons: no overtime ever
Management seems fair here. typical work day is check emails, prepare invoices for approval, entry and editing of file groups.

The whole company goes to lunch at the same time, that was definitely something new.

The hardest part of my job was when I had nothing to do, just sitting there watching the clock
Easy, yet boring job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), El Toro, CAApril 14, 2014
Pros: great work environment and an easy job
Cons: hard to advance and get raises, despite good performance
My store managers that I had were all excellent but the district and regional managers are very hit and miss. One year they told us that no one was getting a raise, I get it, times are though. But then the district and regional managers starting walking around with iPads. My co-workers have been mostly excellent, there are always a couple that are so-so. For the most part they've been helpful and very friendly both in and out of work. I learned to get over my shyness and to approach a manner of strangers. Furthermore, I learned to figure out a product and then sell it to customers who walked in the door. The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult customers, sometimes they just grind your gears and you just have to deal with it. The most enjoyable part of the job was to sell someone the item they wanted and see their satisfaction when they come back again.
Horrible Hours
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Albany, ORApril 13, 2014
Very slow, Management never gives anyone enough hours to live off of. The people are nice, the pay is minimum wage so when you work 10 hours a day its hard to pay the bills.
Nice place to start
Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee), Yuma, AZApril 10, 2014
I learned a lot from working at Big 5 Sporting Goods. It was an amazing experience as my first job. I learned how to interact with customers and help them find what they needed. The best part of the job was interacting with my co workers. Everyone who worked there was amazing. Working with great people is what made the job enjoyable.
Great working environment. Employees and manjors were wonderful people to work with.
Cashier (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAApril 7, 2014
When I was working at Big 5 I worked at the cash register. I had to learn quickly and efficiently. I learned to pay attention to the finer details, also I watched my other co-workers and picked up some tips in the sales department. Many of my shifts were opening or closing the store. During my closing shifts I helped unload boxes and clean the store. I enjoyed my time working at the store and with my other co-workers.
fun educational workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Clinton, UTApril 7, 2014
Pros: training seminars, advancement opportunities
Cons: retail schedule didn't allow me to finish schooling
normal job duties are daily planning of each team members responsibilities, staff training, shipping and receiving, payroll and bank deposits.
Big 5
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 4, 2014
On a typical day at Big 5 there is always work that needs to be done, and customers always ready to be assisted. At this job i learned a lot of customer service skills, such as assuring the customer is finding everything alright, requesting information and always providing them with a pleasurable experience.
Customer Service
Cashier (Former Employee), Vancouver, WAApril 2, 2014
Gained lots of customer service skills. Typical cash handling and register skills.
fun sporting store, building report with customers
Manager-in-Training (Former Employee), Bellingham, WAMarch 19, 2014
Pros: ever changing environment, fast paced, friendly customers
Cons: variable hours, minimum wage, stressful management
Big 5 is a fun place to work. A fast paced job with plenty to do.
Sporting goods retail
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Colorado Springs, COMarch 17, 2014
A typical work day consist of assisting customers with their purchase. Straightening the store, or remerchandising a department. The most enjoyable part of the job is being around people that enjoy all things sports.
Great first job. Good way to learn customer service skills
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Concord, CAMarch 13, 2014
Pros: benifits program
Cons: dress code
Customer service 90% of day in all departments. Meeting new people.
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Associate and Cashier (Current Employee), Imperial Beach, CAMarch 10, 2014
I feel the management did a great job in picking the staff, everyone got along and we wee very productive, It was a great place to work at.
great
Technical Support/Help Desk (Former Employee), El Segundo, CAMarch 1, 2014
pay was good and hours were also good. The work environment was awesome.

About Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods has outgrown its name. The company, which started out with five army surplus shops in California¬†in 1955, – Read more

Big 5 Sporting Goods Salaries