Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Relaxed
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Oakdale, CAMay 15, 2017
Easy going no pressure job, at least with the store in oakdale, good managers, good coworkers nothing to complain about other than they refuse to give full time hours to anybody except managers
Pros
relaxed working enviroment
Cons
short breaks, lack of hours
Good place to grow.
2nd Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  El Cerrito, CAMay 15, 2017
Dependent on leadership, this is a great place to gain managerial experience. Once you have your responsibilities down-pat, working at Big 5 can be a fun and rewarding experience.
Fun workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Longview, WAMay 12, 2017
Welcomed customers into the store. Answered and directed call. Rang up sales in a computer cash register. Cleaned, restocked, and organized the store. Provided excellent customer service.
A good job for a part-time student.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Walla Walla, WAMay 4, 2017
The staff is very friendly, and you meet many new people. You learn very quickly how to deal with many different types of personalities, and you also get a very nice discount on all of the merchandise.
Pros
45 minute lunches
Cons
The break room is lacking.
flexable with millitary life style
Cashier and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Oroville, CAApril 26, 2017
Always was understanding with letting me take time off for my husband who is in the service, whether it be to pick him up from the airport or travel to see family, or just vacation time.
Pros
able to opt out of a lunch break.
Cons
healthcare didnt apply to me being only part time.
Good for a first job.
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 25, 2017
The day is filled with tasks to get done and customers to attend to. The store is hardly ever "slow" and they is always something to do. I would recommend this for someone looking to get their first job.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
short breaks- no raises
Big 5 Sporting Goods
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 24, 2017
Overall, my time working at Big 5 was great. The managers are great and most everyone that worked there was great too. It was a fun environment and I would recommend working there.
Excellent workplace
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  El Segundo, CA 90245April 21, 2017
I enjoyed my time with big 5 sporting goods. Flexable hours. Great medical dental and vision benefits. Can be a very family oriented enviroment depending on the individual supervisor.
Great place if you love sports
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmichael, CAApril 17, 2017
Working for this company is good for a steady income. The hours were never bad and they were usually flexible with the hours. The management isn't the greatest but not the worst.
big 5
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Bremerton, WAApril 17, 2017
Good job, wonderful management. Dress code for a sporting good store is unreasonable. Duties are easy and helpful when learning about marketing. Management always trying to improve
chill place
Salesman (Former Employee) –  Surprise, AZApril 17, 2017
easy work lots of interesting people to meet some of the same of familiar faces that are retired and want to talk about their war stories. if your good enough you wont see much of the manager you will run the show it really isnt much to handle depending on the store your at.
Pros
chill
Cons
no hours
Pretty Chill Workplace
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WAApril 17, 2017
The only thing i didnt really like about Big 5 was that we have to wear professional clothing to sell sporting equipment. Thats really the only negative thing i have about them.
Typical Retail store
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Pittsburg, CAApril 13, 2017
Management was very good and so was job culture. I learned inventory, customer service, theft prevention, and basic managerial practices. Hardest part of the job was catching people stealing. Easiest part of the job was there weren't very many customers coming in all at once.
Pros
Easy going retail job.
Cons
Minimum wage, not enough hours to go around.
Terrible management
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Hollister, CAApril 13, 2017
I'd like to say the job was nice but my manager would constantly break policy by going out and drinking with my fellow employees and I was only 18 at the time and the only underage worker. They would all gossip and eventually I lost this job because of personal information about myself that was leaked at one of these gatherings. They broke policy and fired me without evidence or by following standards.
Pros
Semi formal dress attire
Cons
Bad management
Fun coworkers but a stressful job sometimes
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Westminster, CAApril 12, 2017
I am a cashier that is also trained to work as a sales associate. My job can be a bit stressful at times. The managers don't take things as seriously as they should and it is very unorganized. My coworkers don't take things seriously sometimes either which makes it harder for me to work sometimes.
Pros
Good Discounts
Cons
Poor Management, unorganized
Easy, but VERY boring.
CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Layton, UTApril 12, 2017
It was a nice place to work but very very boring. There are hardly ever customers in there unless its soccer season or a week before Christmas. I was miserably bored everyday.
Pros
easy
Cons
no breaks unless you have a full shift
Loved working here
Clerk/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZApril 7, 2017
I really liked working here. It was one of the easiest jobs I've ever had. The people who worked here were super chill and the management was always nice. The costumers were great too because most of them knew what they wanted when they came in and the ones that didn't would take my advice. The only downside is they have no benefits for part time employees
Good place to work bu management wasnt very good
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAApril 6, 2017
I loved that I was always working around friends, but the management wasn't very organized, one if the manager was continuously bashing mine and another employees work because we sold more than him.
fun place to start out
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAApril 4, 2017
I worked this job while I was in high school and it was a fun place to work. Aside from the ice cream discount there are many perks to working here. I really liked my manager as he was very flexible and understood how busy I was balancing school, work, and sports
great first job
Sales Associate/Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZApril 4, 2017
easy going fun work place environment

learned lots of customer service traits here

and lots of tactics on sales and what to say to the customer to get them interested in the product.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big 5 Sporting Goods. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval