Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

Fun environment w/ somewhat limited advancement opportunities
sales associate (Former Employee), capo beachJuly 4, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: don't get stuck there
Very positive place to start filling your resume with experience, and earn a little bit of cash while your still in high school or just starting college.
Productive and very fast pace when busy but fun.
Salesman (Former Employee), Turlock, CAJune 30, 2014
Pros: long lunches.
Cons: short breaks definitely.
Well i would usually work eight hour shifts. I would clock in and go to the back and start organizing stock. When we would open i would come out from the back and start helping customers with whatever they needed, most times i helped and sometimes it would just be a greeting because they knew exactly what they came in for. I learned to smile much more and to be patient most definitely. My managers were awesome, down to earth and very funny. My co-workers were very helpful and energetic most of the time. It was an awesome experience working there. The hardest part of the job i would say maybe the long hours when it was a super slow day and the most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the team effort and the satisfying smiles of customers after our help.
Great location and work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAJune 27, 2014
Pros: fun to work there
Cons: short work hours
Typical day was providing non stop excellent customer service. My co workers were and myself worked well together. During down time we stocked floor inventory and cleaned the store. Everyday was a good day.
Fun co-workers and comfortable environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJune 26, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers, comfortable environment
Cons: short breaks, healthcare
I loved working at Big 5. An overall fun working environment.
Easy to stay busy, very needy and many customers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), San Lorenzo, CAJune 22, 2014
Pros: co-workers, good with schedule flexibility
Cons: pay, short breaks, management, messy customers
Upper store and district management couldn't care less about employee safety or proper training. Store meetings don't exist, upper management likes to keep the bad employees and toss the better ones. Expectations are unreal for minimum wage, such as unloading truck for two hours.
Fun work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Farmington, NMJune 19, 2014
Pros: breaks, discounts
Cons: pay, hours
Working at Big 5 was a lot of fun! There was always something to do, even if it was a slow day. (Not to mention all the cool stuff to play with.) Busy days were also fun, I got to know what shoe was what and it made it a lot easier for me to help multiple people at one time. I learned great customer service skills because I had to sell our merchandise to our customers. The hardest part was starting out as a sales associate, I was definitely a little shy at first but quickly came around and that has helped me be the people person I am today. My co-workers were awesome and the managers were great!
Slow but there is no such thing as nothing to do
Retail Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), KentJune 17, 2014
Pros: customers were loyal and showed appreciation of my assistance
Cons: pay and benefit
I restocked store floor daily. Inventoried all items weekly. I rearranged shelves and racks for the best appealing way. Cleaning was continuous. I learned to place myself out the box and speak to a wide variety of people. I also had to educate myself of sporting goods for I was not athletic in common sports. I was only a runner. Business at the times I worked (part time) were sometimes slow. This allowed my initiative to run wild and find new things to do around the store rather than converse with co-workers or mess with my phone. I put in a lot of work and exceeded my supervisor's expectations. Because I was a part time student employee with minimal experience, I was not ready to move up in company just yet.
Great place to get started
First Assistant Store Manager Sales/Cashier (Current Employee), Tacoma, WAJune 8, 2014
Pros: good benefits and training, opportunity for advancement at the store level
Cons: poor management delivery, no room for advancement above store manager
I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know the people I worked with, and training and developing my new hires and trainees. However, I feel that the differences between stores is problematic in terms of how operations are carried out. I feel as though some managers decided to run the stores their own way, making it difficult to consistently deliver efficient timely work. Played a lot of catchup and watched many talented individuals walk out from sheer frustration with management.
Good first job, but it gets annoying pretty quick
Sales/Cashier (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZ, Lodi, CA, and Manteca, CAJune 5, 2014
This is a great first job/first retail job. The pros for this job would be a very flexible schedule, accommodation for an employee's personal life, and very friendly co-workers. Also, most customers are pleasant. The job is easy in theory, but it gets hectic. A major con for this job is the fact that there is no product training, so if a sales associate that is inexperienced in guns, for example, like myself needs to help someone at the gun counter while a manager is busy, helping a customer can be difficult or even impossible. Also, it seems like the distribution center always sends too much on truck days so the back room and the sales floor are usually quite messy on truck day and the days that follow, only to be messed up again in a couple days when the next truck comes.
Time at Big 5
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Inglewood, CAJune 3, 2014
Pros: easy to stay busy
Cons: random scheduling on 3 to 4 days notice
Due to the nature of the business you learn how to multitask and handle people as they come. On a typical day you get 200 to 300 customers and have your assigned task and staff task for the day. You have to have a plan to satisfy the customers and complete your task as well. Time management is essential. As a part of management you are expected to have all of the answers. You have to be prepared to speak with polite as well as difficult customers and sometimes co workers. You have to know your product as well as policies or staff and customers can potentially take advantage of your lack of knowledge in certain areas.
Working 5 days and 42.5 hours or more a week you develop relationships with your co-workers. With so many people working together you talk and some share common interest and goals. I made friends, but I always remembered this is a business first. Some employees associate outside of work. As a part of management I did speak with managers from other stores and we would sometimes meet outside of work. Due to me having children this was seldom.
Never having a set schedule is tough. I have a wife and children and I have been absent on several holidays, reunions, birthdays and other events. This is toughest part of working for Big 5. On the upside everyday is different dealing with so many different people. I would be considered a peoples person so I love dealing with different people and closing deals. It is a great feeling.
Awful experience
No gratitude
Old boys club
Customers are brutal
Met some good people
convenient sporting goods store with a wide variety of choices for athletic hobbies
Product Specialist (Former Employee), Nampa, IDMay 12, 2014
Pros: discounts on products
Cons: poor process of sorting inventory in the back room and in the store
I enjoyed my time with Big 5. The atmosphere is friendly and we are asked to learn about the products we are selling.
Learned a lot working there.
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Stockton, CAMay 12, 2014
A typical day I would operate a cash register. I would receive/exchange money. I would process payments via cash/debit/credit. I would greet and assist customers on what they were looking for. I would answer phones as well and restock shelves when needed.
Retail and sales
1st Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Fresno, CAMay 8, 2014
Pros: team work
Awesome team, great working environment. Everyone pitches in and loves what they do on a daily bases. Everyone showed respects towards their suprior.
Great Management Experience
Store Manager (Former Employee), San Diego, CAMay 5, 2014
Pros: developing key business skills
Cons: retail
Overall a great experience in general management. Developed key communication and business skills. Great company to work for if you like being recognized for hard work.
Just Another Day at Work
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Poulsbo, WAApril 22, 2014
Pros: not that busy all the time.
Cons: sometimes too much time on your hands.
Nothing very special about working here. Typical days include stocking, restocking, changing tags on all the items. It could be more fun if you were a sporty or guns type of person. I do enjoy hiking and it felt good helping people with hiking questions but other than that it wasn't that special.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Cashier (Current Employee), Payson, AZApril 17, 2014
Pros: great co-workers and managers
Cons: on my feet for long periods of time
The management is easy to work with, enabling me to work weekends as a supplementary source of employment to my regular full-time employment, which is a huge bonus!

My co-workers, as well as managers are fun to work with; together we make a good team; in addition to that, I am always busy and have the opportunity to meet and talk with a variety of customers, making my shift productive, as well as a positive experience.

All in all, Big 5 is an enjoyable place to work.
Very nice people, typical work atmosphere
EXPENSE ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK (Current Employee), El Segundo, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: very nice people
Cons: no overtime ever
Management seems fair here. typical work day is check emails, prepare invoices for approval, entry and editing of file groups.

The whole company goes to lunch at the same time, that was definitely something new.

The hardest part of my job was when I had nothing to do, just sitting there watching the clock
Easy, yet boring job
Sales Associate (Current Employee), El Toro, CAApril 14, 2014
Pros: great work environment and an easy job
Cons: hard to advance and get raises, despite good performance
My store managers that I had were all excellent but the district and regional managers are very hit and miss. One year they told us that no one was getting a raise, I get it, times are though. But then the district and regional managers starting walking around with iPads. My co-workers have been mostly excellent, there are always a couple that are so-so. For the most part they've been helpful and very friendly both in and out of work. I learned to get over my shyness and to approach a manner of strangers. Furthermore, I learned to figure out a product and then sell it to customers who walked in the door. The hardest part of the job was to deal with difficult customers, sometimes they just grind your gears and you just have to deal with it. The most enjoyable part of the job was to sell someone the item they wanted and see their satisfaction when they come back again.

About Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods has outgrown its name. The company, which started out with five army surplus shops in California┬áin 1955, – Read more

Big 5 Sporting Goods Salaries