Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods Employee Reviews

family like atmosphere, great attitudes, productive
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Oro Valley, AZAugust 14, 2014
a typical day at work is I in an check the manager notes on what to do, when finished with those duties I proceed to ask if there is anything that they need me to get done before my shift ends, if they don't have anything for me to do then I ask the cashier if he/she needs any help with what they have to do, if they have nothing for me then I hang out and wait for customers to come in at that point I greet them with a smile and ask how I can help them, after all that I keep busy by straightening the store out. I have learned how to be courteous to costumers, work hard, a lot about shoes, and how to stay busy. The management team is really motivated and great at working with new employees, as in training etc. My co-workers are very friendly they treat me as if I were their blood family, it makes it a great place to work if everyone is friendly. Hardest part about the job is re-organizing the shoe room, most enjoyable is working with happy people and nice costumers.
fun place to work
Cashier Sales Associate (Former Employee), Menlo Park, CAAugust 14, 2014
always stay busy, work hard get no complaints the manager here used to tell me work until u sweat if u r not sweating u r not working
Exciting and dynamic work-environment, hard work is recognized
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee), Sierra Vista, AZAugust 11, 2014
Pros: benefits, recognition of hard work, friendly enviornment
Cons: long hours (41+), not much time for activities outside of work
There's ever a dull moment working at Big 5. There are always customers in need of something different from the right pair of running shoes to firearms and ammo to exercise equipment to camping and outdoor gear. There is plenty of product knowledge needed to do well so there's always something to learn. If it's a slow day there is always some sort of project to be working on. I learned how to deal with employees and co-workers to create a supportive and productive work-environment, how to diffuse situations regarding both customers and/or employees. The management staff was always friendly, knowledgeable and hard-working. The hardest part of the job was getting employees that have been there a while to stay productive and not get a feeling of complacency or entitlement. I enjoyed being able to help customers who thought they'd be in for a fight when they had an issue (returns, need a better price, defective equipment, etc.) leave happy and excited to return, also building a relationship with the regulars and listening to their stories about hiking treks, sports talk or gun talk. I learned a lot about people, such as what motivates an individual or what one might struggle with when learning a new job. I would have no problem staying with the company if i did not have other ideals for my career and what I want to do for the rest of my life. I was able to rise through the ranks from a part-time sales associate, leave for school, come back and land a job as a part of the full-time management staff.
Sporting Goods Heaven
Sales Associate, Cashier (Current Employee), Monterey, CAAugust 2, 2014
Pros: the people i work with, employee discounts on awesome sporting goods equipment
Cons: short lunches, lack of training
My typical day at work would be to identify what duties need to be performed that day and helping customers find the products needed to complete their sporting goods store adventure. Through this job I learned how to properly communicate with a variety of different people, how to professionally work with others, how to resolve situations with an unhappy customer, and many other day-to-day skills. The hardest part of working at this job is not knowing the products you are trying to sell. Product knowledge comes from experience, for example if someone goes fishing for fun they are more likely to understand and have more knowledge about fishing than someone who does not. The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Big 5 hires very spunky individuals who I feel get along with each other very well and makes the work environment a lot more brighter.
5 managers in one store
Manager trainer (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJuly 28, 2014
Pros: part time employees were cool.
Cons: company culture, only care about bottom line
I like a place where I can move up or even meet an owner. Working here was not like that at all. I was a manager trainee and above me in the same store was the GM, a 1st asst. 2nd asst and even one more below that. What I was really was just a full time employee. A glorified shoe salesman. The benefits were ridiculous, I had to fight with HR just to be able to sign up and get a package that they offered. When I went to the Dr. they said that I still didn't have it. Supposedly this was supposed to be a position with advancement potential however where was I going to advance to with so many ahead of me anyways. It was 40 hrs. a week with walk home pay of under 10/hr. That plus the fighting to get benefits should show you that this company doesn't care about its employees only it's bottom line.
Good place to learn important basic employee skills.
Sales Representative/Customer Service (Former Employee), Ogden, UTJuly 21, 2014
Pros: flexible shcedule and layed back envirenment
Cons: low pay and low hours
Help a wide variety of people with there sporting good needs. Fun place to learn how to deal with the public and develop customer service skills.
Sale products that met consumers needs.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Tooele, UTJuly 21, 2014
This was a fun place to work because we were able to be extremely personable. While being able to make the customers laugh we were still effectively getting them the items they came into the store to acquire. There were set duties that had to be done, and they were clearly lined out on a clipboard of where end caps needed to be built and what discounts went where in the store.
my work enviroment at Big 5 sporting goods store
Retail associate (Former Employee), Ukiah, CAJuly 21, 2014
Pros: the donutes for breakfast every morning for free
Cons: the 5 minutes to smoke and relax was only once after a 15 minute lunch break
Stock the shoes in backroom, Stock new products, clean mirrors/dust/sweep/trash&recycle, Help customers, price tag products w/current sales tag
Those were my daily duties while working with Big 5, I enjoyed the part of my shift the most though when we were allowed to organize the invatory by look. As in color, style, size, price etc. and we had to make it look the most appealing as possible to the customers, i enjoyed this part mostly because i was allowed to use my organization and color coordination skills with the clothing.

The hardest part for me was taking the shoes down from the top shelves in the back constantly through out my shift, because sometimes there were 20-30 trips made up a 8 foot ladder in jus 30 minutes.

i learned a great deal about retail and customer interactions that i hadn't known before
The worst place to work
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), Daly City, CAJuly 17, 2014
The worst place to work. Cheapest company ever, very poorly managed, high turnover.
Fun and great way to get customer service experience
Assistant Manger (Former Employee), Menlo Park, CAJuly 17, 2014
Being part of management we had to be on top of our associates making sure everyone is up to date with new ads, coupons and products. Big 5 is the same routine every week depending on the day i.e. Monday-Payroll, Tuesday-Truck delivery etc. I learned a lot about patience while working at Big 5 also about firearms and sports that I never participated in growing up. Co-workers you have to make sure that everyone keeps busy. As a manager you can side tracked with other projects or paperwork that co-workers would take advantage of that and just stand around not doing anything. When work really needs to be done they are on top it. The hardest part is having to deal with high turnover rate since it is retail. I most enjoyable part of the job was meeting and talking with so many new people everyday.
Management is great, hours are flexible, time off is available.
cashier/sales (Current Employee), Glendale, AZ 85308July 14, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: low hours
I've been working for them for three years, in that time i noticed how flexible the hours are, but also how low the hours can be at times. i need something that gives me more hours.
Productive workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Antioch, CAJuly 9, 2014
Pros: discounts on footwear and clothing
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work will consist of all workers providing the best possible customer service to their customers, regardless of how busy they may be. At Big 5 Sporting Goods, I was able to learn a lot about myself. First, since this was my first job, I was able to learn quickly how to balance having a Job as well as going to school. Working at Big 5 Sporting Goods enabled me to be a responsible individual as well as developing the skill of being able to multi-task. The most enjoyable part of the job was the fact that I was able to put a smile on a customer's face, each day that I was working there. To have a customer feel completely satisfied and even sometimes thank you for assisting them, was enough for me to have a positive outlook on my Job.
Sales, Customer service and fun
Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 8, 2014
Stock shelves, Assist customers, Educate customer about product. Housekeeping and Customer services.
Fun environment w/ somewhat limited advancement opportunities
sales associate (Former Employee), capo beachJuly 4, 2014
Pros: flexible scheduling
Cons: don't get stuck there
Very positive place to start filling your resume with experience, and earn a little bit of cash while your still in high school or just starting college.
Productive and very fast pace when busy but fun.
Salesman (Former Employee), Turlock, CAJune 30, 2014
Pros: long lunches.
Cons: short breaks definitely.
Well i would usually work eight hour shifts. I would clock in and go to the back and start organizing stock. When we would open i would come out from the back and start helping customers with whatever they needed, most times i helped and sometimes it would just be a greeting because they knew exactly what they came in for. I learned to smile much more and to be patient most definitely. My managers were awesome, down to earth and very funny. My co-workers were very helpful and energetic most of the time. It was an awesome experience working there. The hardest part of the job i would say maybe the long hours when it was a super slow day and the most enjoyable part of the job was definitely the team effort and the satisfying smiles of customers after our help.
Great location and work environment
Cashier (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAJune 27, 2014
Pros: fun to work there
Cons: short work hours
Typical day was providing non stop excellent customer service. My co workers were and myself worked well together. During down time we stocked floor inventory and cleaned the store. Everyday was a good day.
Fun co-workers and comfortable environment
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Santa Monica, CAJune 26, 2014
Pros: nice coworkers, comfortable environment
Cons: short breaks, healthcare
I loved working at Big 5. An overall fun working environment.
Easy to stay busy, very needy and many customers
Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee), San Lorenzo, CAJune 22, 2014
Pros: co-workers, good with schedule flexibility
Cons: pay, short breaks, management, messy customers
Upper store and district management couldn't care less about employee safety or proper training. Store meetings don't exist, upper management likes to keep the bad employees and toss the better ones. Expectations are unreal for minimum wage, such as unloading truck for two hours.
Fun work experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Farmington, NMJune 19, 2014
Pros: breaks, discounts
Cons: pay, hours
Working at Big 5 was a lot of fun! There was always something to do, even if it was a slow day. (Not to mention all the cool stuff to play with.) Busy days were also fun, I got to know what shoe was what and it made it a lot easier for me to help multiple people at one time. I learned great customer service skills because I had to sell our merchandise to our customers. The hardest part was starting out as a sales associate, I was definitely a little shy at first but quickly came around and that has helped me be the people person I am today. My co-workers were awesome and the managers were great!
Slow but there is no such thing as nothing to do
Retail Associate/Cashier (Former Employee), KentJune 17, 2014
Pros: customers were loyal and showed appreciation of my assistance
Cons: pay and benefit
I restocked store floor daily. Inventoried all items weekly. I rearranged shelves and racks for the best appealing way. Cleaning was continuous. I learned to place myself out the box and speak to a wide variety of people. I also had to educate myself of sporting goods for I was not athletic in common sports. I was only a runner. Business at the times I worked (part time) were sometimes slow. This allowed my initiative to run wild and find new things to do around the store rather than converse with co-workers or mess with my phone. I put in a lot of work and exceeded my supervisor's expectations. Because I was a part time student employee with minimal experience, I was not ready to move up in company just yet.

About Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods has outgrown its name. The company, which started out with five army surplus shops in California┬áin 1955, – Read more

Big 5 Sporting Goods Salaries