Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods Employer Reviews

The First Job I felt helped my finaces
Retail Sales (Former Employee), Lakewood, CASeptember 30, 2013
It was busy fast paced with something to do at every moment. This was probably one of my favorite employers. I actually continue to keep in contact with the manager for work related purposes during the seasons.
Amazing people fun work environment
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 27, 2013
Pros: discounts, lunch breaks, and co-workers
Cons: gm
During a typical day at work I would clock in, count my drawer with the manager, and open the store. Customers would come in with tons of questions, I would help them the best to my ability. I would ring up their merchandise, take there payment (cash, card, or check), and always acknowledge that they're leaving.

I have learned how to use a register, – more... apply discounts to appropriate merchandise, and look up items at other stores.

The management team is amazing, they're helpful with schedules, they make the working environment fun and safe.

I love my co-workers. They are so much fun, friendly, and they always pick your mood up when your having a bad day.

The hardest part about my job was learning the register and learning where the merchandise goes.

The most enjoyable part was working with the managers and the co-workers. – less
Good company to be a manager in
Assistant Manager (Former Employee), City of IndustrySeptember 14, 2013
Pros: fast advancement
Cons: long hours during weekends and holidays
I joined Big 5 through their manager trainee program. The pay was decent and I advanced very quickly to the position of assistant manager. The job entailed many challenges and required me to be transfered to numerous locations. I enjoyed working in a structured environment that allowed me to see and appreciate the outcome of my work. My fellow managers – more... were outstanding teammates, however our stores would randomly be visited by our district supervisor, which gave a sense of micromanagement. – less
a job is a job
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVSeptember 9, 2013
It was fun when i first started working then management was replaced with people who where not team players and selfish.
It is okay
Sales Representative (Current Employee), Renton WaSeptember 3, 2013
Pros: flexible hours, cool managers, nice working culture
Cons: muzak is annoying and repetative, unlikely you will be promoted without alot of prior notice, retail work!
While the work is good and the hours are flexible you are not likely to get benefits or a raise while working this job unless you get promoted . I recommend this as a part time job for some one who is trying to work their way through junior college or High school.
Great place to work, very productive
Cashier/Salesperson (Current Employee), Oakdale, CASeptember 3, 2013
A typical day at work would be #1 assisting customers as needed
#2 would be to complete tasks that are set for you that day from the manager #3 up keep of overall appearance of the store
Great relationships with other employees
Cashier/Customer Service/Stock (Former Employee), Carlsbad, CAAugust 30, 2013
open register, handle cash/credit card transactions, if possible I ran the outdoors discount sales, during holiday rush season I worked off hours to price merchandise & stock for opening.
Great job for benefits and job security as well as utilizing customer service and business skills
Management Assistant (Former Employee), FlagstaffAugust 28, 2013
Big 5 Sporting Goods is one of the most memorable experiences I have had working full time. Not only are there great benefits to go along with a decent pay, the culture is infectious and the style of work is unforgettable. I enjoyed the fact that every day was different and a variety of situations would allow me to learn different approaches when interacting – more... with customers. Because of this, I have gained a great deal of experience in customer service as well as ways a business should be efficiently operated. The only drawback is the fact that schedules are made on a daily basis and sometimes, if you don't plan accordingly, it is hard to obtain certain days off because there are only so many each manager can utilize. Overall, Big 5 is a great company to work for. – less
learned a lot about riffles, shotguns,knifes and ammo.
Assistant Manager, (Former Employee), CAAugust 20, 2013
Pros: got to do some target shooting as part of our fire arms training.
Cons: long hours.
the hardest part of the job was having to show or sell a shotgun or riffle to some people and they had that look of a "no good-er " but hey who am I to judge!..that's what the background check is for right..they are never wrong..lol
Not too bad!
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), Inglewood, CAAugust 11, 2013
The pay is minimal, however, they're big on work ethic which is a good trait to have as a big company.
Fun upbeat retail sporting goods store
Sales Associate/Cashier (Current Employee), Logan, UTAugust 11, 2013
Pros: employee discount on merchandise
Cons: no set schedule
Come in and do are daily areas to make sure they are organized and neat. Help customers with their needs and wants of sporting good products. Do the nightly cleaning and organization once the store was closed. On truck days I would show up at 5:00 am to unload the delivery truck with that weeks re-up on merchandise. Unload the truck and put shoes away – more... first followed by organizing the merchandise to put out on the sales floor. – less
Getting dirty!!
Shoes Sales Manager (Former Employee), Burbank, CAAugust 7, 2013
Pros: alot of hours and hard work...
Cons: management was always a little to grumpy.
Fun job always hanging retaining walls or setting up foundations with concrete. Wish I would have never stopped working there but I had moved to California.
unorganized and really bad customer service.
Cashier (Former Employee), Van Nuys, CAAugust 3, 2013
Pros: can think of any.
Cons: bad customer service and no hours.
They have no system, very unorganized and rude. Give no hours at all so they pay is really bad.
All in a Days work
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Hermiston, ORJuly 29, 2013
Pros: lots of experience
Cons: not enough hours
Anytime I would be working my retail sales job, I absolutely loved helping customers fulfill their daily needs of product. Cleaning the sales floor or assisting a new employee was most satifying for myself.
it was awful
Ware House loader (Current Employee), Moreno Valley, CAJuly 29, 2013
Pros: got paid every week
Cons: horible managementr
no benefits, always sacred of losing job, and no encouragement
productive
Part Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 11, 2013
at all times having something to getting supplies for customers , resupplying the store , and helping each other out(employees).
Different Tyoe of enviorment for workplace
Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 11, 2013
Pros: interact with customers
Cons: low pay not enough hours
Sometimes business was slow. but it was a quiet type of atmosphere.
Customer service oriented, with an emphasis on sports and fun.
MT-Store Manager (Former Employee), Abilene, TXJuly 10, 2013
As store manager you are a leader, a coach, and a servant. Time management is the key to your businesses success. If you train your staff to be knowledgeable of policy and procedure, you will create a team that is efficient and Loss Prevention compliant. These skills have helped me grow from a trainee to a store manager.
productive and family oriented business
Store Manager (Former Employee), variousJuly 9, 2013
Pros: upper management and freedom to do what you felt was needed for the business
Cons: salaries are on the lower end of the scale
The work environment was very service oriented. You had a lot of freedom to institute was you felt was right for the business. You were promoted on what you know and not who you know.
N/a
Cashier/Sales Associate (Former Employee), Bakersfield, CAJuly 6, 2013
Did not provide enough hours and the management was kind of rude.

About Big 5 Sporting Goods

Big 5 Sporting Goods has outgrown its name. The company, which started out with five army surplus shops in California¬†in 1955, – Read more