Big Boy Employee Reviews

Fun, friendly enviorment, simple.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Clio, MINovember 28, 2012
A typical day of work at Big Boy would be coming in, starting on my list of chores. Sweeping the building, wiping off tables, cleaning the bathrooms, cleaning the carpets, wiping off all glass in the building and helping the waiters with whatever they might need. Through out the day/night, I would work the register and stand at the door, greeting people, seating people, and helping them with cashing out at the end of their dining. Management at Big boy was actually the reason why I quit. The mangament had changed while I was working there and the new managament had different rules, as well as cuttingmy hours very much so. My co-workers were some of the best people I had met. I really liked who I worked with. They all did what they had to do, got it done, and were very friendly. Like they were glad to be at work, just like I am. The hardest part of my job, well I wouldn't say there was anything too difficult about my job at all. The most enjoyable part of my job was just being there. I loved working for who I did and with who I did.
Pros
good enviorment
Cons
nothing.
Working for a Tyrant
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Mason, MIMay 29, 2014
Great Co-workers, Upper Management not so great. Worked a lot of nights so having any family time was a difficult situation. A loose environment which made managing teens difficult at times. The hardest part of the job was going around repairing employees confidence after the upper Management would destructively criticize, yell and at times swear so loud that the guests could hear. The Higher-ups rarely managed, or coached employees, rather spent time waiting tables. They would steal tables from other servers that were in their section, calling those table their peeps. They would also verbally abuse specific employees daily and unfairly, on the other side they had their favorites, employees that got away with more than others. One example would be the denial and covering up of a employee drinking on the job daily.
Pros
always tasks to complete and everyday new challenges.
Cons
long hours, always short on help, and high turn-over becouse of the martyr we worked for.
Busy and fast-paced workplace.Great for experience!
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Ann Arbor, MINovember 7, 2014
I enjoyed working at Big Boys (for the most part). My hours weren't very long and I was able to make a decent amount in tips each night. My coworkers were friendly and helpful, and my manager was outgoing with the customers. The worst part of the job was the side-work, and never enough time to finish all of it. And of course, no one liked when the occasional rude person came in. The best part of the job was meeting and becoming friendly with the regular customers. We also had a lot of families come in, and putting a smile on the kids face was always a joy. I learned time management, memorization, and multitasking. I'm glad I was able to come away from the job with having learned some valuable skills.
Pros
tips!
Cons
no bus-boy=more work with less time
Mostly good, just some minor adjustments that could be made
Server (Former Employee) –  Mount PleasantAugust 19, 2015
A typical day at work would be sometime slow sometimes overly busy. Some days we didn't have enough people some days we had way too many. The coworkers were very laid back and great to work with, but sometimes would get too chatty for my taste. The management was good but they didn't stock very good per week since we would always run out of things we need by the end of the week. The hardest part of my job was probably dealing with customers who are very picky and sometimes so rude to the point they might make you cry. But, it all is worth it when customers come in and make your day by just being nice and wanting to know more about you. Some of those people are going to be hard to part from.
Very fast pace workplace
Food Preparer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 2, 2015
Working in the Big Boy inside Ford Field was a busy due to the events going on inside Ford Field. A typical day of work started with putting the machines together, and setting up, and cleaning. It was very interactive learning environment. I enjoyed every second of it. All my co-workers were amazing if I needed a hand they stepped right in. The hardest part of the job was during the rush time, getting everything ready was difficult, but we all got the job done, leaving the costumers happy. The most enjoyable park of the job was working with all these amazing people and the enjoying the company of the customers, also we got free food as well.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Short breaks
Good starting job for many. Many can make a career at Big Boy corporation. Franchise are smaller operations so opportunities vary.
Cook (Current Employee) –  Davison, MIJune 17, 2014
The job is fast paced and fun.during my time at Big Boy I learned food safety and customer service. The Management team is solid at daily operations. My co-workers were like family at all of the stores I worked at. The hardest part of the job is being able to multitask and remaining organized in a fast paced environment. The most enjoyable part of the job is the pride you feel when you know that you put a smile on a customer's face.
Pros
50% discount on meals and a flexible schedule.
Cons
no health care
fun and exciting
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sandusky, MIMarch 3, 2013
waiting on customers, cleaning, and went home. i learned its alot to remember way to quick, management wasnt bad or good it was kind of slow at learning cause they are way to busy to answer questions. the co-workers wasnt that nice at all they never smiled or had a good time. remembering all the stuff that came with the order was the hardest part for me cause i would always mix it up. the most enjoyable time for me was cleaning and stocking cause i knew where everything was at.
Pros
stocking and cleaning and going home
Cons
to much to remember, co-workers were not friendly at all.
Great job to save up enough to get a car.. but i got attached and had to stay for 4 years.
Server (Former Employee) –  Comstock, MIAugust 2, 2012
A typical day at work consisted of interacting with many people a day. I learned great customer service skills and how to react to those sometimes "hard to handle" customers. I loved everyone I worked with and we had a blast everyday at work. The hardest part of the job was closing the doors forever because the resturant ran out of business.
Pros
free food, fun and exciting atmosphere.
Cons
business got slow at the end, i no longer had a job after they closed.
Excellent Culture to work for.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MIMarch 28, 2015
I enjoyed my time with Big Boy, the culture is great and it is a ongoing training environment. Very interactive with guests and employees as well, general manager and assistant manager do very well at training a new manager. Home office very open to speaking to store managers at whatever may be an issue. Very warm and welcoming atmosphere for managers, employees and guests.
Pros
Ongoing learning environment, great training by assistant manager and general manager
Cons
Very fun and friendly work place.
Buffet Attendant, Buffet Cook, Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Midland, MIApril 28, 2013
An average shift is about 6 hours long. The pace stays pretty steady except for a few short rushes. Everyone is friendly and fun which makes the day go by faster. The hardest part of the job is staying focused and prioritized during the rush. You cant let it become overwhelming. The most enjoyable part of the job is that everyone is friendly and fun.
Pros
discount to any labelles managment owned building.
Cons
short shifts
Very tense and unclean work enviroment.
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Charter Township of Clinton, MIFebruary 7, 2013
Maintaining a consistent hour base is very rough. Though the breaks were offered frequently, too much was needed to be done with too few of staff members to do it. Orders were not given, nor followed by any of the staff in regards to closing properly, And, the restaurant was far below par in regards to cleanliness or health regulated standards.
Pros
none.
Cons
irresponsible management, poor habbits, unclean, cram packed, far from organized.
Fun place focused on the customers
Server (Former Employee) –  Clio, MIDecember 6, 2013
Typical day was stocking and cleaning, sating customers and taking they orders and delivering food fast and efficiently.

I learned how to be more customer friendly.

Management had some issues and weren't properly trained.

My co workers were hard workers and people struggling to pay bills.

Hardest part of my job was the customers at times.

Most enjoyable part of the job was waitressing in general I loved it.
Pros
works
Cons
short breaks
Hard work but not helpful and few possibilities of advancement
Dishwasher (Current Employee) –  Manistique, MISeptember 9, 2014
I've worked for the same position for 2 years and I mainly work by myself. I've learned about responsibilities and the right ways on how to do my job. In summer and part of spring and fall I have co-workers in the dish room with me. When working with co-workers in the dish room I do most of the work.
Pros
free drinks and half off price of food
Cons
short or no breaks, no advancement, no health care, and no job security
Decent, but not to make a living!
Server (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn MIAugust 7, 2013
Not a bad place to work, management is decent for the most part. Unfortunately if you're trying to make a living I would not recommend this establishment. If you're in school and want a part time job to make extra cash then this is probably the perfect place but not if you're trying to make an honest living. There just simply is not enough business.
Pros
management is decent, hours are decent.
Cons
not enough business to make a decent wage.
Big Boy taught me what the meaning of good customer service meant.
Certified Front of the House Trainer and Server (Former Employee) –  Battle Creek, MINovember 1, 2015
Boy was a family restaurant. My coworkers were my second family. Big Boy taught me a lot about food safety, customer service, teamwork,and looking through the eyes of the customer. The most enjoyable part of the position was the success I felt when a new trainee was on their own and thriving as a server.
Pros
training new hires
Cons
management
a busy,loving, big boy
Waitress/Hostess (Former Employee) –  Dearborn, MIMarch 26, 2014
when i was working for Big Boy most of the time it will be filled with birthday partys,families gatherings,or just a regular day.It was always busy and had a wide arrange of on-trays,and many people order different things.ive worked several jobs like this. thair has even been situations wear we had to call the authorities so i know how to handle lets say interesting people.
Pros
close to home
Cons
unhappy payment
ok place to work but no advancement or security
Server (Current Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIDecember 31, 2012
it can get really busy or really slow. i learned you have to be on top of your tables to make better tips. management is ok. you have to work well with your team and communicate. the hardest part is getting everything out on time and in order while assisting other guests. customer satisfaction and tips.
Pros
tips are sometimes really good
Cons
sometimes tips are very bad
Fast pased working environment
Server (Former Employee) –  Imlay City, MIFebruary 5, 2014
Working with the public is something I enjoy. I made a lot of friends with coustmers while I worked at Big Boy. There was always a new problem to face everyday which kept me on my feet. I handled situations well and had fun figuring them out. I loved everyone that I worked with and would go back to work for Big Boy anyday.
Pros
amazing managers
Cons
unpleasable coustmers
An upbeat and friendly place to work.
busser through assistant manager (Former Employee) –  Petoskey, michiganFebruary 26, 2012
My first job was at the Petoskey Big Boy, and I enjoyed it very much! I learned many skills and met many new and different people, whom became my friends. Big Boy is a up beat fast paced employment opportunity.
Pros
i was treated as family, many job opportunities
Cons
some days no breaks, hours could be grueling when short staffed
Friendly work enviorment with alot of available hours
Waitress/Server (Former Employee) –  Saint Ignace, MIJune 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for this company and learned a large amount of new things in the short time I was employed. A very helpful and hardworking team and easy going, fair management. My only reason for leaving was because of relocation. I would definitely consider seeking employment again if ever in the area again.