Big Brothers Big Sisters of America Employee Reviews

Inspiring work place
Student Tutor (Current Employee) –  Midland, MINovember 23, 2015
It is a great association involved in helping kids in need of a mentor for life or a tutor for their academic improvement.
I am covering a volunteer position at the moment but there are possibilities to be working for them as a regular employee. I haven't explore thos epossibilities yet.
Strenuous but flexible work environment
Staff Accountant (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXSeptember 15, 2015
I enjoyed my time at BBBSA; I learned a lot about the accounting field and account analysis, and I really appreciated the relationships I developed there.
Great Program!
Volunteering as an adult mentor (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSMarch 7, 2015
Wonderful program to be a member of! The coordinator is very supportive in providing activities for me and my Little. Looking forward to continuing my work here.
Great mission with great people
Interim HR Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAFebruary 3, 2014
A team oriented place to work with a greater mission to help the community
Employees wear rose-tinted glasses, "who's getting fired next. . ."
former employee (Former Employee) –  Islandia New YorkNovember 22, 2013
Huge employee turnover, there has to be a reason why. Job seekers beware. The hardest part of the job is to get everyone on the same page to fulfill the "mission" while pulling the knife out of your back. Workers are afraid to speak up or be noticed for fear of losing their job. Management is inconsistent at best. The best part of the job is seeing and knowing children are being matched with mentors to put them on a positive life-path.
Pros
good cause helping children and families on long island
Cons
management has a "i'm going to catch you" mentality
Good Company with great mission to help children.
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 17, 2013
Good Company with great mission to help children with single family homes.
Rewarding Experience
Mentor/Big Brother (Current Employee) –  richmond, vaSeptember 14, 2013
An enjoyable experience to work with a child in need of social and emotional support! Very rewarding!
Fun experience
Big Brother/Big Sisters Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Oxford, MSJune 19, 2013
I was a volunteer for Big Brothers Big Sister of America. I was a mentor for a fifth grader. I came in and brought her lunch and helped her with homework. I visited her twice a week and assisted with keeping her motivated.
Big Brother Volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 8, 2013
Being a big brother for a underprivliaged kid. You need to work at least 4 hours a week, and you need to see your little brother/sister at least once a month
Pros
working with kids
Cons
n/a
Great Mission
Director - IT / Business Intelligence / Operations (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 5, 2013
For more than 100 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As the nation’s largest donor and volunteer supported mentoring network, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers (“Bigs”) and children (“Littles”), ages 6 through 18, in communities across the country. We develop positive relationships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people
Pros
work life balance, sense of accomplishment
Talented and hard-working staff; great mission; lacks innovation and senior leadership lacks youth.
Director (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PASeptember 10, 2011
Pros
Along with its great mission, BBBSA is a small enough national organization where you can learn a lot about non-profits, if you're willing to create learning opportunities for yourself. There are many smart and talented people from whom to learn. The work can be challenging (that's a good thing) and most employees are dedicated to performing well. This is the kind of environment where you leave the job but not the people. They stay with you.

Cons
While the org is good at vision and conceptualizing the impact of its service model and outcomes, it cannot effectively execute its strategy. It lacks innovation. The folks in the trenches have great ideas and are willing to try something new but their voices are unheard. Senior management is overly cautious, glacial in its pace to make decisions, and has lost focus on its core mission and the importance of the people doing the work. A more trusting approach with its directors and business managers would serve the organization well.

Advice to Senior Management
Despite changes in 2010, senior management needs a make-over, starting at the top. At the risk of sounding ageist, BBBSA would greatly benefit by hiring leaders less than 50 years old who are more in touch with business/working models that fit today's marketplace and who can more easily connect with the 20 to 30 somethings that make up the majority of the workforce. Its hiring practices should focus on getting the most qualified, forward-thinking individuals rather than building a "diversity profile" for the sake of how it "looks" in the eyes of potential funders.