Big Brothers Big Sisters

Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews

Good company.
Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 22, 2016
Making contact and developing partnerships with schools, businesses, churches and additional agencies are essential. Job responsibilities can change when the company experiences financial hardships. Some questions raised that involve the recruiting practices of volunteers and littles. One must be able to sell through presentations and except rejection from potential volunteers. Matching along racial lines can be very challenging. Financial contributions by Donors are what sustains this Non-Profit. Dedicated employees attempting to fulfill the overall mission. Great attitude from the Executive Leadership Team. The most enjoyable part of the job are the company functions.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of families and connecting with Donors
Cons
No effective strategy implemented with recruitment of eligible volunteers and ethnic populations.
Caring and meaningful work
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJune 15, 2016
Centerstone is an agency of compassion and caring. A fast-paced work environment which demands skill sets in both community outreach and development. The management team encourages both professional and personal growth. I work with an amazing team who supports each other. The hardest part of the job is managing through a difficult funding environment, however the impact made on the children served is more than worth it.
Pros
Personal development opportunities, great co-workers, flexibility
Cons
Funding stresses, costly healthcare benefits
Energetic work-place with a strong mission to better the community.
Match Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 13, 2016
The agency is fast-paced and innovative. Every worker works hard with the mission statement in mind: to improve the outcomes of the children we serve. This motivates everyone to try and do their best. Unfortunately, the agency does not pay well and uses it being a non-profit as the reason even though they make 1 million or so in profits every year.
Pros
Flexible and laid back work atmosphere
Cons
Low compensation
New management lacks the skills to continue such a great program
Development (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 10, 2016
This was an amazing place to work, until new CEO, HR Director and Program Directors were put in place. What once was a financially thriving agency, just laid off nearly half the staff due to poor business decisions and removing almost all of the Development staff (read: the employees who bring in the funding for the program).

It's not as heartbreaking that quality staff was let go, but that thousands and thousands of children won't be served now that the agency is in an irreversible spiral of being "in the red" and dealing with horrible PR as well. It was such a great program with amazing potential, and now...

Heartbreaking.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Inexperienced management, low pay, inconsistent and constant policy changes
Flexible
Enrollment/Matching Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I enjoyed this job because I coached, mentored and aided in volunteers and parent/guardians appropriateness for the program.
Pros
Work/family balance; flexible schedule
Cons
Insufficient Salary
The mission for BBBS speaks for itself
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHNovember 21, 2016
Probably the best job I've had so far. This job taught me a lot. Not only did the kids teach me but I learned a lot about how the professional work place works.

I enjoyed seeing those smiling faces on those kids every day and being able to spend time with them and being that consistent person that they could always rely on.
Internship for 6 months
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 17, 2016
I interned at BBBS for six months. My hours were (9am-5pm), and I worked 20 hours per week. My supervisor was proactive in my learning in order to complete my MSW degree in mental health. Staff members were supportive of me. Many of the families I supported had children with learning disabilities.The most enjoyable part of the job was ensuring a good match was made between a Big Brother or Sister and a child in need. The most challenging part of the job was ensuring client files were completed in a timely manner.
Pros
Having my own office
Cons
Interviews versus Counseling
Great!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mountain Lakes, NJJune 28, 2016
Good sales, very productive, flexible hours, very happy during the holidays, great management, very understanding if you need time off.
Office Assistant, Broward County (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 10, 2016
Organization has many events that are targeted to assisting underprivileged youths. They provide mentoring, activities, school supplies. Great staff that work as a team to accomplish goals.
Pros
Meeting many people
Cons
Good place to work. Great employees. Some work demands became difficult to achieve.
Intervention Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 22, 2016
Organization took on projects that they were not qualified to complete. Failure to come to grips that ideas that would generate sustainable revenue. Enjoyed the time off when the winter holidays came.
Pros
Great people to work with in all departments, Leadership was very approachable.
Cons
Questions about funding and job stability.
Billed medical claims for patients of an Internist
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Camden, MEJuly 19, 2016
Fast-paced office. Co-workers were helpful, dedicated and delightful.

I learned more about overall medical billing, as well as day-to-day office operations. Hardest part of the job was billing 100 medical claims per day. Most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the doctors.
Welcoming and friendly organization.
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 23, 2016
As an intern I truly enjoyed every moment of my experience working with all of the staff at Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work along side very competent case workers who seem to have a very cohesive relationship with each other. I felt that the supervisors are accredited to their profession and are very insightful on matters concerning the agency and especially with the children that are being served by the organization. The hardest part of the job seemed to be the vagueness of the job titles, often times people are hired on to function in one specific position but then it could be subject to change. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with the staff and to have had the pleasure of impacting children's lives for the better.
Great
Promoter / Hospitality Host (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 11, 2013
Did volunteer work and helped the community raise money for charity events.

Promoted the program at over 100 events including school, country clubs and business.

Organized and hosted media calls to address quarterly financial results.

Planned and launched innovative, creative and effective communications campaigns.

Coached management on communication tactics with staff and customers regarding organization changes.

Drafted and managed print, online and social media communications designed to promote company brand, image and

values.

Referred families to shelters, legal resources and educational programs.

Enlisted the support of volunteers and collaborated with businesses and community groups.

Provided emotional support while with residents to develop long term plans and goals.

Connected families with resources when children were identified as needing further assessment.
cool job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 22, 2016
for students young teens to enjoy. so that they can have money. they would collect donations from the people of the neighborhood. clean and maintain the trailers
Wonderful cause & friendly staff
Events (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 11, 2014
Big Brothers Big Sisters is very flexible with time and it's expectations. I learned a lot about the at-risk children in the Texas area and the desperate need for mentors. The cause spoke for it's self, and has a very motivating mission... "Do it for the kids!" Co-workers were somewhat policitcal, typical office space, little drama. Hardest part about my job was the amount of "no's" that were recieved- not everyone loves the mission as much as the BBBS employees. I loved serving the children and seeing the smiles on their faces was completely worth it!
Pros
Flexible, "feel good" feelings, fun and social office
Cons
Managers are on their own time, no room for raises, high turnover, office gossip
Work with at Risk Youth and assist them in making life plan
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2015
I worked with about 25 -30 youth on my case load and would meet with the youth weekly. I managed their progress on a life plan they created upon their enrolment in the program. Their goals such as GED completion or Diploma completion, job search (which included mock interviews, proper clothing assistance, training.), financial aid, tech/trade school or college enrollment, community service and rehabs depending on their case.
Management, was reasonable as I had three supervisors at two different organizations. Co-workers were always fun to work with as they shared similar interests and goals for the youth.
The hardest part of the job would be to see a youth pulled from the program due to their bad decision to get into trouble and arrested with an adult charge. This made them unqualified and dropped from program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the youth progress and literally change for the good and set on a better path than they were on. Graduating from program and in college or at a full time career job.
Pros
see the progress and change in at risk youth.
Cons
seeing them make bad decisions
Amazing Program to Work For
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJuly 15, 2016
I absolutely loved my time with BBBS and was able to apply my skill sets to advance the program and its impact on the community.
Informative internship that peaked my interest in the events industry.
Event Planning Internship (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAAugust 7, 2014
I had a 20 hour a week internship in the Event/Fund Development office for a non-profit organization. I help with marketing and advertisement, making invitations. I made public speeches in the local community informing residents about events. planned and exceeded fund raisers. Attended fund development meetings.
Pros
I learned a lot about the industry, was able to hone in on my skills and talents.
Cons
Short internship, wanted to be more hands on with the actule events, hard to work for a non-profit company; budgets are tight.
I would have worked for BBSID for free I didn't the income.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  IDOctober 12, 2013
Working with the management, Board of Directors, Case Managers, and the big sisters and big brothers was very rewarding; BBSID does so much for the children of the community that at times it is an over whelming experience. I loved my job there and would recommend others to experience it as well.
Pros
Hours were flexible-M-F, and working in a pleasant environment
Cons
The pay was okay, would have love to see a raise within the 3 years I was there
Productive and fun working place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2015
Great people. Awesome environment, with benefits. More of office work and filling paper work. You can really grow and develop there
Pros
friendly enviornment
Cons
Expensive resturants

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Brothers Big Sisters. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4