Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews

Work with at Risk Youth and assist them in making life plan
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2015
I worked with about 25 -30 youth on my case load and would meet with the youth weekly. I managed their progress on a life plan they created upon their enrolment in the program. Their goals such as GED completion or Diploma completion, job search (which included mock interviews, proper clothing assistance, training.), financial aid, tech/trade school or college enrollment, community service and rehabs depending on their case.
Management, was reasonable as I had three supervisors at two different organizations. Co-workers were always fun to work with as they shared similar interests and goals for the youth.
The hardest part of the job would be to see a youth pulled from the program due to their bad decision to get into trouble and arrested with an adult charge. This made them unqualified and dropped from program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the youth progress and literally change for the good and set on a better path than they were on. Graduating from program and in college or at a full time career job.
Pros
see the progress and change in at risk youth.
Cons
seeing them make bad decisions
Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Greater Nashua was an enjoyable place to work.
Case Work Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Greater NashuaJanuary 21, 2013
A typical work day would consist of arriving at work at 8:30AM and start making contacts by telephone with volunteers and parents of the children enrolled into the program. Keep case notes up to date, and attend any meetings that were scheduled for that day. Other times, I would conduct home visits on volunteers, as well as the families enrolled into the program. What I learned is that there are so many wonderful people who want to make a positive difference in the lives of under priveleged children. My co-workers were great. I really enjoyed working with and beside them. The hardest part of the job was when a volunteer could no longer spend time with a child they had developed a relationship with and I had to call the parent to let them know. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the volunteers were so committed to their Little Brother/Sister, that they spent many years helping the child mature and grow as a productive adult in their community.
Mentoring Program
AmeriCorps Vista Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 1, 2013
A typical day here would start with me calling volunteer and parents and performing match support. I would ask them questions about the match between the volunteer and the child and make sure all is well, if it is not, I assist with issues that any party might have. I also would do home visits to do match support, if I could not reach the people by phone. I did fundraising for the agency for Bowl for Kids Sake often and also did filing and data entry. The hardest part of the job was when a child came in that I felt could benefit from a mentor, but there was some type of barrier that prevented that from becoming a reality. The most enjoyable part of the job was the event that Big Brothers Big Sisters put on. At these events I got to see and meet the matches on my caseload and actually see the connection between them and hear much fun they having together at the event.
very good experience
Part-time Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 12, 2012
i was part of the agency identifying suitable big brother/big sister matches, i supervised current matches with direct or phone follow up to see how match was progressing and to direct any needed feedback or concerns for all parties involved. i did a specific screenig to eliminate unsuitable volunteers with a detailed one on one interview with candid questions to obtain character traits and goals of each individual going thru the selection process. i documented results in a report and reccomended individuals for approval with a match to be considered in the second phase of the screening process. i was directly involved in group activities with the present matches in weekly set events that matches could participate in.i took initial intake calls to inform callers about the agency and its requirements.
Pros
i obtained my counselor and social worker license
Cons
this was a part time job only which limited my income
fun workplace
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Mountain Lakes, NJApril 16, 2015
A typical day would be on the start of shift our manager motivates us by giving us a speech about what to look forward to that evening and pepping us up. The management team is great to work with and for. My co-workers are some of the greatest people I have ever met. We all have a shared interest on helping the less fortunate children. The hardest part of my job has to be when I get a rude customer that is not willing to just take the time to listen to the brief speech given over the phone. The only way to deal with it is to let them hang up on you or calmly explain to them why you are calling. What I enjoy most is getting an over achieving amount of "promises" from the donors at the end of the day.
Great
Promoter / Hospitality Host (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 11, 2013
Did volunteer work and helped the community raise money for charity events.

Promoted the program at over 100 events including school, country clubs and business.

Organized and hosted media calls to address quarterly financial results.

Planned and launched innovative, creative and effective communications campaigns.

Coached management on communication tactics with staff and customers regarding organization changes.

Drafted and managed print, online and social media communications designed to promote company brand, image and

values.

Referred families to shelters, legal resources and educational programs.

Enlisted the support of volunteers and collaborated with businesses and community groups.

Provided emotional support while with residents to develop long term plans and goals.

Connected families with resources when children were identified as needing further assessment.
Productive office with interactive outside work
Intern (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 17, 2014
Half of my day is spent in the office making phone calls, checking e-mails and sending/writing letters. I have learned many useful office type skills including how to use the directory system and the copier/scanner/printer and how the postage marker. The other half of my day is spent at elementary or middle after school programs. There I get to hang out with the kids and be a one-on-one mentor. It is really great to be able to work with these kids and watch them grow week by week. I also spend time with first time, non-violent offenders on juvenile probation. I take them to and from activities and hang out with them and try to be a role model. My favorite part of the job is being able to work with all the kids.
Wonderful cause & friendly staff
Events (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 11, 2014
Big Brothers Big Sisters is very flexible with time and it's expectations. I learned a lot about the at-risk children in the Texas area and the desperate need for mentors. The cause spoke for it's self, and has a very motivating mission... "Do it for the kids!" Co-workers were somewhat policitcal, typical office space, little drama. Hardest part about my job was the amount of "no's" that were recieved- not everyone loves the mission as much as the BBBS employees. I loved serving the children and seeing the smiles on their faces was completely worth it!
Pros
flexible, "feel good" feelings, fun and social office
Cons
managers are on their own time, no room for raises, high turnover, office gossip
Small agency, family like atmosphere with co-workers
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, New JerseyJuly 23, 2014
A typical day at work is fast paced, at times hectic.
One wears many hats in the non-profit world of BBBS.

In one word I learned versatility, growing in areas of my personnel life as well as my work environment. Meeting the challenges of the day, while looking forward to what was going to occur next.

My co-workers, an amazing, intelligent group of people to work along side of, and learn from. All whom were multi-talented.

Most challenging balancing work and personnel life

Helping families/children improve their lives in a meaningful and transformative way.
Pros
close connection with co-workers
Cons
dependent on grant monies and the stipulations of the grant. (red tape)
Productive and fun place to work, great atmosphere and I would recommend it to anyone!
Public Relations VISTA (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 17, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of:
- Calling potential volunteers to follow up with them.
- Writing a weekly newspaper article to be published in local newspaper.
- Reviewing volunteer's and Little's assessments and comparing them so that I could match them up someone they would get along with best.
- Maintaining all of Big Brothers Big Sisters social media pages with the most up to date information.
- Promoting our upcoming events both online and throughout town.
- Speaking at the local universities to recruit volunteers.
Pros
friendly environment, flexible, experience was useful and i learned a lot during my one year term.
Cons
n/a
Sharing the love with brothers and sisters
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  lecantoSeptember 16, 2013
I loved Big Brothers and Big Sisters. It wasn't my job, it was just volunteer work but I loved it none the less. I enjoyed helping kids learn and reach their full potential. It was so amazing for me to see the light bulb go on when the kids learned something or figured out a problem they weren't sure about. The hardest part about this job was to see the older kids leave and graduate into middle school. It was hard because we knew that we wouldn't get to spend time with them like we did when they were in elementary school. They're older now and Big Brothers and Big Sisters only went to the elementary school.
Pros
everything about it was good
Cons
nothing really bad
A good company to work for
Donation Center Attendant (Former Employee) –  Provo, UTMay 19, 2012
Organized donations that came in.
Took calls & called out to schedule pick-ups of donation items as well as take care of customer complains.
I learned how to take care of customers in an effective manner & left them satisfied.
Management was good at making sure things at work were flowing well.
The hardest part would be when too many donations would come in all at once or too many people would donate all at once, since there was only one person on shift taking care of it.
The most enjoyable part was being able to turn an angry customer into a satisfied customer at the end of a call.
Pros
fairly easy call system, supportive management
Cons
one person on shift at the donation station
Rewarding experience
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHAugust 9, 2014
A typical days work consisted of identifying potential new mentors for the children that we serviced. In addition to identifying companies that we could solicited their participation in the program. As well as setting various recruitment events. The management was great to work for very personable and goal oriented. The entire staff worked together to accomplish the companies goals. The most challenging part of the job was obtaining mentors for the extremely long waiting list of children that we had. Most enjoyable part was the opportunity to get men and women signed up to become mentors and the excitement to make a match.
Pros
the joy that it gave me to serve the community.
Cons
not enough people saw the value
Productive and Fun Work Place. I had a great experience.
AmeriCorps Member (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioFebruary 18, 2015
I had a great experience with this agency. I had a great supervisor who met with me once a month to discuss how I have been doing. She would work with me to help improve the skills that I was learning within the year. At this agency I helped make some of the programs that were offered in the Project Mentor program. Then I worked with kids in the Columbus School district to be a part of the project mentor programs. I got to work with the kids, nmentor, and the childrens families. I had to take case notes, and work to help the children to stay on track to graduate.
Pros
great experience, great supervisors, and got to learn and enhance some skills
Cons
only one year long service term
Okay place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 18, 2014
I come in to work and go to my manager to see what I had to work on for the day. I would work on what I was told to work on until my lunch break. I took my 30 minute lunch break. I worked on my work until it was time for me to get off work. I would show my manager the work that I had done. Then I would go home. I learned how to type documents fast. I learned how to research funding sources. My manager and co-workers was so nice to me. There was not a hard part of this job. The most enjoyable part of this job is watching television while eating your lunch.
Pros
gained office experience
Very Good
Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHDecember 1, 2015
I love children. It only takes one person to make or break a child's dream for the future and volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters program has had a huge impact on how I view the world with the short time period I have been involved thus far. I am ultimately looking to start a nonprofit which will help underrepresented individuals to have access to an adequate education in which they become successful moral agents of change.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Time is Short
Friendly volunteer environment
Big Sister (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCMarch 11, 2013
Every Friday I visit my little sister and spend time with her, whether it is playing games, helping with her school work, and giving her someone to open up to. It has been a great experience to be involved with the community where I attend college. It is a great feeling knowing I'm helping her and impacting her life greatly. I enjoy her teacher, as well as her classmates. I feel very welcomed and I feel like the other students look up to me.
Pros
knowing i am impacting my littles life
Cons
unfortunately going to have to leave her when i graduate
Great way to contribute to the community and help those who dont have a big brother figure in thier lives
Volunteer Mentor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2012
I learned alot about how under represented our youth is in San Diego, and how much a few hours of your day can make a big impact. When me and my lilttle brother go hang out i can see his social skills improving and his confidence has definitely increased as well.
Pros
you fell like you have done something good at the end of the day
I would have worked for BBSID for free I didn't the income.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  IDOctober 12, 2013
Working with the management, Board of Directors, Case Managers, and the big sisters and big brothers was very rewarding; BBSID does so much for the children of the community that at times it is an over whelming experience. I loved my job there and would recommend others to experience it as well.
Pros
hours were flexible-m-f, and working in a pleasant environment
Cons
the pay was okay, would have love to see a raise within the 3 years i was there
Fun workplace
Mentor Program (Current Employee) –  Lompoc, CADecember 30, 2014
Big Brothers Big Sisters is overall a fun workplace to interact with children. This program is held at the Boys and Girls Club in Lompoc so we get to hangout in the gym, play room or outside. My co-workers are awesome and we all have a blast playing with the kids. I am glad I am volunteering for this program because its humbled me as a person, I have made a lot of friends, and it is a great way to build my resume.
Pros
free lunches, fun workplace, great atmosphere

4.4