Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews

Good company.
Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 22, 2016
Making contact and developing partnerships with schools, businesses, churches and additional agencies are essential. Job responsibilities can change when the company experiences financial hardships. Some questions raised that involve the recruiting practices of volunteers and littles. One must be able to sell through presentations and except rejection from potential volunteers. Matching along racial lines can be very challenging. Financial contributions by Donors are what sustains this Non-Profit. Dedicated employees attempting to fulfill the overall mission. Great attitude from the Executive Leadership Team. The most enjoyable part of the job are the company functions.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of families and connecting with Donors
Cons
No effective strategy implemented with recruitment of eligible volunteers and ethnic populations.
A typical day at work
McKean County Caseworker (Current Employee) –  Bradford, PAJanuary 17, 2017
Every day is different, people you work directly with are great. It's a multi layered type of job, you must have people skills, case management skills, and also be willing to market, promote, and fundraise for the program
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Micromanagment
Caring and meaningful work
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJune 15, 2016
Centerstone is an agency of compassion and caring. A fast-paced work environment which demands skill sets in both community outreach and development. The management team encourages both professional and personal growth. I work with an amazing team who supports each other. The hardest part of the job is managing through a difficult funding environment, however the impact made on the children served is more than worth it.
Pros
Personal development opportunities, great co-workers, flexibility
Cons
Funding stresses, costly healthcare benefits
New management lacks the skills to continue such a great program
Development (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 10, 2016
This was an amazing place to work, until new CEO, HR Director and Program Directors were put in place. What once was a financially thriving agency, just laid off nearly half the staff due to poor business decisions and removing almost all of the Development staff (read: the employees who bring in the funding for the program).

It's not as heartbreaking that quality staff was let go, but that thousands and thousands of children won't be served now that the agency is in an irreversible spiral of being "in the red" and dealing with horrible PR as well. It was such a great program with amazing potential, and now...

Heartbreaking.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Inexperienced management, low pay, inconsistent and constant policy changes
Service Delivery Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Corpus Christi, TXFebruary 21, 2017
Was a pleasant job. Enjoyed the people and environment that I worked in. Management worked with employee and the job itself was enjoyable. Best part of the job was making good matches and seeing them succeed.
A Very Productive Workplace, It was a great Experience.
Dionation Clerk (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVFebruary 26, 2017
I enjoyed working at this company, The Training was excellent.The Supervisors were very helpful. I enjoyed relating to the customers.
The working Environment was very Positive, I enjoyed going to work,
The job was not hard at all.A Typical Day at work-I would arrive retreive my headset plug it into my assigned Computer.get all my Information,and wait for calls to appear on the Computer Most of the Customers were very nice,but there were Customers that were angry and would hang up on you or they would ask about our Company, I would explain to them about the Company and what it Represents.
Not fun at all
Customer Service Representative/Call Center (Former Employee) –  Ansonia, CTFebruary 13, 2017
There is no growth and also Management does not work with you when needed to be wont reccomend anyone to this place very unhealthy and unorginized. Never Again !!
The mission for BBBS speaks for itself
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, OHNovember 21, 2016
Probably the best job I've had so far. This job taught me a lot. Not only did the kids teach me but I learned a lot about how the professional work place works.

I enjoyed seeing those smiling faces on those kids every day and being able to spend time with them and being that consistent person that they could always rely on.
Great people to work with
Driver Helper (Former Employee) –  Mt. Laurel, NJDecember 7, 2016
Overall working environment was great worked with different people everyday never the same thing twice everyone had a great personality easy to get along with never had a bad day working
Pros
Time working was great
Cons
Every day was a good one
Best experience of my life
Volunteer/ Mentor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXFebruary 20, 2017
Experienced alot being a mentor. It has taught me a lot about myself and how to relate to others in a compassionate way. My little has changed my life in a way I didn't see coming.
Helping at Hope kids
Volunteer Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Fort Pierce, FLJanuary 4, 2017
This was great volunteer experience. while meeting new people I helped make a difference in the community. Although I was only able to do this job for short period of time I gained experience.
Energetic work-place with a strong mission to better the community.
Match Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 13, 2016
The agency is fast-paced and innovative. Every worker works hard with the mission statement in mind: to improve the outcomes of the children we serve. This motivates everyone to try and do their best. Unfortunately, the agency does not pay well and uses it being a non-profit as the reason even though they make 1 million or so in profits every year.
Pros
Flexible and laid back work atmosphere
Cons
Low compensation
Very nice people to volunteer for
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Marietta, OHFebruary 18, 2017
My time with them was very well spent, I loved spending time with the kids and helping them with their homework, showing them healthy foods, and talking with them about how their days were.
Review
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCFebruary 12, 2017
I enjoyed working in this position. I had a great deal of satisfaction in knowing that I was able to help people in need. I would definitely do this job again.
Excellent!
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXFebruary 1, 2017
I enjoyed volunteering for the events at my school. I was a mentee but I volunteered for the other events that weren't mine. I would recommend this to every school if possible.
Office Assistant, Broward County (Current Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLNovember 10, 2016
Organization has many events that are targeted to assisting underprivileged youths. They provide mentoring, activities, school supplies. Great staff that work as a team to accomplish goals.
Pros
Meeting many people
Big Brother Big Sister
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 6, 2017
Big Brother Big Sister was a lovely place to be employed at. The people that I communicated on the phone with everyday were the most awesomeness people every.
Fun place to work
Telephone Technician (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKJanuary 12, 2017
Lots of nice people to work with. Easy work flow. Learned how to answer to frustrated responses when calling and the best way to help out clients who wanted to donate items .
Enjoyed helping
Big Sisters, Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Fort Walton Beach, FLFebruary 26, 2017
It was a great experience. It was very nice to help out the community. I enjoyed my time here. I would do this opportunity again.
Pros
Helping the community
Cons
none available
Work with at Risk Youth and assist them in making life plan
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2015
I worked with about 25 -30 youth on my case load and would meet with the youth weekly. I managed their progress on a life plan they created upon their enrolment in the program. Their goals such as GED completion or Diploma completion, job search (which included mock interviews, proper clothing assistance, training.), financial aid, tech/trade school or college enrollment, community service and rehabs depending on their case.
Management, was reasonable as I had three supervisors at two different organizations. Co-workers were always fun to work with as they shared similar interests and goals for the youth.
The hardest part of the job would be to see a youth pulled from the program due to their bad decision to get into trouble and arrested with an adult charge. This made them unqualified and dropped from program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the youth progress and literally change for the good and set on a better path than they were on. Graduating from program and in college or at a full time career job.
Pros
see the progress and change in at risk youth.
Cons
seeing them make bad decisions

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Brothers Big Sisters. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4