Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews in United States

Good company.
Coordinator/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 22, 2016
Making contact and developing partnerships with schools, businesses, churches and additional agencies are essential. Job responsibilities can change when the company experiences financial hardships. Some questions raised that involve the recruiting practices of volunteers and littles. One must be able to sell through presentations and except rejection from potential volunteers. Matching along racial lines can be very challenging. Financial contributions by Donors are what sustains this Non-Profit. Dedicated employees attempting to fulfill the overall mission. Great attitude from the Executive Leadership Team. The most enjoyable part of the job are the company functions.
Pros
Making a difference in the lives of families and connecting with Donors
Cons
No effective strategy implemented with recruitment of eligible volunteers and ethnic populations.
cool job
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZAugust 22, 2016
for students young teens to enjoy. so that they can have money. they would collect donations from the people of the neighborhood. clean and maintain the trailers
New management lacks the skills to continue such a great program
Development (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXAugust 10, 2016
This was an amazing place to work, until new CEO, HR Director and Program Directors were put in place. What once was a financially thriving agency, just laid off nearly half the staff due to poor business decisions and removing almost all of the Development staff (read: the employees who bring in the funding for the program).

It's not as heartbreaking that quality staff was let go, but that thousands and thousands of children won't be served now that the agency is in an irreversible spiral of being "in the red" and dealing with horrible PR as well. It was such a great program with amazing potential, and now...

Heartbreaking.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Inexperienced management, low pay, inconsistent and constant policy changes
Billed medical claims for patients of an Internist
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Camden, MEJuly 19, 2016
Fast-paced office. Co-workers were helpful, dedicated and delightful.

I learned more about overall medical billing, as well as day-to-day office operations. Hardest part of the job was billing 100 medical claims per day. Most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the doctors.
Amazing Program to Work For
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJuly 15, 2016
I absolutely loved my time with BBBS and was able to apply my skill sets to advance the program and its impact on the community.
Great!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mountain Lakes, NJJune 28, 2016
Good sales, very productive, flexible hours, very happy during the holidays, great management, very understanding if you need time off.
Good place to work. Great employees. Some work demands became difficult to achieve.
Intervention Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 22, 2016
Organization took on projects that they were not qualified to complete. Failure to come to grips that ideas that would generate sustainable revenue. Enjoyed the time off when the winter holidays came.
Pros
Great people to work with in all departments, Leadership was very approachable.
Cons
Questions about funding and job stability.
Internship for 6 months
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 17, 2016
I interned at BBBS for six months. My hours were (9am-5pm), and I worked 20 hours per week. My supervisor was proactive in my learning in order to complete my MSW degree in mental health. Staff members were supportive of me. Many of the families I supported had children with learning disabilities.The most enjoyable part of the job was ensuring a good match was made between a Big Brother or Sister and a child in need. The most challenging part of the job was ensuring client files were completed in a timely manner.
Pros
Having my own office
Cons
Interviews versus Counseling
Caring and meaningful work
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJune 15, 2016
Centerstone is an agency of compassion and caring. A fast-paced work environment which demands skill sets in both community outreach and development. The management team encourages both professional and personal growth. I work with an amazing team who supports each other. The hardest part of the job is managing through a difficult funding environment, however the impact made on the children served is more than worth it.
Pros
Personal development opportunities, great co-workers, flexibility
Cons
Funding stresses, costly healthcare benefits
Fun place to work.
Service Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 23, 2016
I assessed children and mentors in order to match the pair in a mentorship relationship. This was a very rewarding position, filled with fun times with coworkers and matches.
Energetic work-place with a strong mission to better the community.
Match Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 13, 2016
The agency is fast-paced and innovative. Every worker works hard with the mission statement in mind: to improve the outcomes of the children we serve. This motivates everyone to try and do their best. Unfortunately, the agency does not pay well and uses it being a non-profit as the reason even though they make 1 million or so in profits every year.
Pros
Flexible and laid back work atmosphere
Cons
Low compensation
Fun and rewarding
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 17, 2016
Mentoring a young kid is very rewarding because you get to see the positive impact you have on his life as you watch him or her grow into a young adult.
Good Place to work
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 13, 2016
I liked working here as a job fresh out of college. It's a small company, and they're no longer there. I don't really want to talk about it anymore because it was so long ago.
Excellent volunteer program
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 6, 2016
I enjoy working with Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am able to make a difference in a child's life by being a positive influence and doing various activities with her.
Work Place
Match Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 29, 2016
I loved working for big brother big sister. The company was very welcoming and the staff was friendly.I think is better suited for people who don't have any children. It requires a lot of late nights.
Welcoming and friendly organization.
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 23, 2016
As an intern I truly enjoyed every moment of my experience working with all of the staff at Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work along side very competent case workers who seem to have a very cohesive relationship with each other. I felt that the supervisors are accredited to their profession and are very insightful on matters concerning the agency and especially with the children that are being served by the organization. The hardest part of the job seemed to be the vagueness of the job titles, often times people are hired on to function in one specific position but then it could be subject to change. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with the staff and to have had the pleasure of impacting children's lives for the better.
Awesome Experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Marquette County, MIMarch 14, 2016
Productive and fun workplace. Get to interview people, hang out with kids, organize match activities, match support and anything else they need. It has been the best place to intern.
Productive and fun work environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2016
I did community outreach and clerical work for my supervisor. my daily tasks included reaching out to parents in NYC who have inquired about our program. The hardest part about my job was still providing excellent services to parents who were not nice on the calls. In addition, I worked with children in middle school at the SONYC program, I was an assistant group leader helping facilitate after school program.
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
Too cold in office.
Making a difference in a young lady's life
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 28, 2016
My afternoon consists of sitting down and eating lunch with my lunch buddy. She tells me what's going in her life and I tell her what's going on in my life.
Pros
I can see her every week.
Cons
Sometimes it's not enough time to spend with her.
helping the community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ansonia, CTFebruary 21, 2016
I like what they do as far as helping the community but the pay and the hours suck. they only allow you to work part time not elegible for full time time work and no pay increase whichnis horrible
Pros
helping the community
Cons
easy work

4.4