Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews in United States

Flexible
Enrollment/Matching Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I enjoyed this job because I coached, mentored and aided in volunteers and parent/guardians appropriateness for the program.
Pros
Work/family balance; flexible schedule
Cons
Insufficient Salary
Welcoming and friendly organization.
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 23, 2016
As an intern I truly enjoyed every moment of my experience working with all of the staff at Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work along side very competent case workers who seem to have a very cohesive relationship with each other. I felt that the supervisors are accredited to their profession and are very insightful on matters concerning the agency and especially with the children that are being served by the organization. The hardest part of the job seemed to be the vagueness of the job titles, often times people are hired on to function in one specific position but then it could be subject to change. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with the staff and to have had the pleasure of impacting children's lives for the better.
Internship for 6 months
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 17, 2016
I interned at BBBS for six months. My hours were (9am-5pm), and I worked 20 hours per week. My supervisor was proactive in my learning in order to complete my MSW degree in mental health. Staff members were supportive of me. Many of the families I supported had children with learning disabilities.The most enjoyable part of the job was ensuring a good match was made between a Big Brother or Sister and a child in need. The most challenging part of the job was ensuring client files were completed in a timely manner.
Pros
Having my own office
Cons
Interviews versus Counseling
Caring and meaningful work
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJune 15, 2016
Centerstone is an agency of compassion and caring. A fast-paced work environment which demands skill sets in both community outreach and development. The management team encourages both professional and personal growth. I work with an amazing team who supports each other. The hardest part of the job is managing through a difficult funding environment, however the impact made on the children served is more than worth it.
Pros
Personal development opportunities, great co-workers, flexibility
Cons
Funding stresses, costly healthcare benefits
Work with at Risk Youth and assist them in making life plan
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2015
I worked with about 25 -30 youth on my case load and would meet with the youth weekly. I managed their progress on a life plan they created upon their enrolment in the program. Their goals such as GED completion or Diploma completion, job search (which included mock interviews, proper clothing assistance, training.), financial aid, tech/trade school or college enrollment, community service and rehabs depending on their case.
Management, was reasonable as I had three supervisors at two different organizations. Co-workers were always fun to work with as they shared similar interests and goals for the youth.
The hardest part of the job would be to see a youth pulled from the program due to their bad decision to get into trouble and arrested with an adult charge. This made them unqualified and dropped from program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the youth progress and literally change for the good and set on a better path than they were on. Graduating from program and in college or at a full time career job.
Pros
see the progress and change in at risk youth.
Cons
seeing them make bad decisions
Energetic work-place with a strong mission to better the community.
Match Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 13, 2016
The agency is fast-paced and innovative. Every worker works hard with the mission statement in mind: to improve the outcomes of the children we serve. This motivates everyone to try and do their best. Unfortunately, the agency does not pay well and uses it being a non-profit as the reason even though they make 1 million or so in profits every year.
Pros
Flexible and laid back work atmosphere
Cons
Low compensation
Good place to work. Great employees. Some work demands became difficult to achieve.
Intervention Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 22, 2016
Organization took on projects that they were not qualified to complete. Failure to come to grips that ideas that would generate sustainable revenue. Enjoyed the time off when the winter holidays came.
Pros
Great people to work with in all departments, Leadership was very approachable.
Cons
Questions about funding and job stability.
Productive and fun working place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2015
Great people. Awesome environment, with benefits. More of office work and filling paper work. You can really grow and develop there
Pros
friendly enviornment
Cons
Expensive resturants
Productive and fun work environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2016
I did community outreach and clerical work for my supervisor. my daily tasks included reaching out to parents in NYC who have inquired about our program. The hardest part about my job was still providing excellent services to parents who were not nice on the calls. In addition, I worked with children in middle school at the SONYC program, I was an assistant group leader helping facilitate after school program.
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
Too cold in office.
Billed medical claims for patients of an Internist
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Camden, MEJuly 19, 2016
Fast-paced office. Co-workers were helpful, dedicated and delightful.

I learned more about overall medical billing, as well as day-to-day office operations. Hardest part of the job was billing 100 medical claims per day. Most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the doctors.
helping the community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ansonia, CTFebruary 21, 2016
I like what they do as far as helping the community but the pay and the hours suck. they only allow you to work part time not elegible for full time time work and no pay increase whichnis horrible
Pros
helping the community
Cons
easy work
Excellent volunteer program
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 6, 2016
I enjoy working with Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am able to make a difference in a child's life by being a positive influence and doing various activities with her.
Fun place to work.
Service Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 23, 2016
I assessed children and mentors in order to match the pair in a mentorship relationship. This was a very rewarding position, filled with fun times with coworkers and matches.
Amazing Program to Work For
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJuly 15, 2016
I absolutely loved my time with BBBS and was able to apply my skill sets to advance the program and its impact on the community.
Making a difference in a young lady's life
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 28, 2016
My afternoon consists of sitting down and eating lunch with my lunch buddy. She tells me what's going in her life and I tell her what's going on in my life.
Pros
I can see her every week.
Cons
Sometimes it's not enough time to spend with her.
Work Place
Match Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 29, 2016
I loved working for big brother big sister. The company was very welcoming and the staff was friendly.I think is better suited for people who don't have any children. It requires a lot of late nights.
Great
Promoter / Hospitality Host (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYSeptember 11, 2013
Did volunteer work and helped the community raise money for charity events.

Promoted the program at over 100 events including school, country clubs and business.

Organized and hosted media calls to address quarterly financial results.

Planned and launched innovative, creative and effective communications campaigns.

Coached management on communication tactics with staff and customers regarding organization changes.

Drafted and managed print, online and social media communications designed to promote company brand, image and

values.

Referred families to shelters, legal resources and educational programs.

Enlisted the support of volunteers and collaborated with businesses and community groups.

Provided emotional support while with residents to develop long term plans and goals.

Connected families with resources when children were identified as needing further assessment.
Great!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mountain Lakes, NJJune 28, 2016
Good sales, very productive, flexible hours, very happy during the holidays, great management, very understanding if you need time off.
Wonderful cause & friendly staff
Events (Current Employee) –  TexasAugust 11, 2014
Big Brothers Big Sisters is very flexible with time and it's expectations. I learned a lot about the at-risk children in the Texas area and the desperate need for mentors. The cause spoke for it's self, and has a very motivating mission... "Do it for the kids!" Co-workers were somewhat policitcal, typical office space, little drama. Hardest part about my job was the amount of "no's" that were recieved- not everyone loves the mission as much as the BBBS employees. I loved serving the children and seeing the smiles on their faces was completely worth it!
Pros
flexible, "feel good" feelings, fun and social office
Cons
managers are on their own time, no room for raises, high turnover, office gossip
Good Place to work
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 13, 2016
I liked working here as a job fresh out of college. It's a small company, and they're no longer there. I don't really want to talk about it anymore because it was so long ago.

4.4