Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews in United States

Energetic work-place with a strong mission to better the community.
Match Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 13, 2016
The agency is fast-paced and innovative. Every worker works hard with the mission statement in mind: to improve the outcomes of the children we serve. This motivates everyone to try and do their best. Unfortunately, the agency does not pay well and uses it being a non-profit as the reason even though they make 1 million or so in profits every year.
Pros
Flexible and laid back work atmosphere
Cons
Low compensation
Fun and rewarding
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 17, 2016
Mentoring a young kid is very rewarding because you get to see the positive impact you have on his life as you watch him or her grow into a young adult.
Good Place to work
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 13, 2016
I liked working here as a job fresh out of college. It's a small company, and they're no longer there. I don't really want to talk about it anymore because it was so long ago.
Excellent volunteer program
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 6, 2016
I enjoy working with Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am able to make a difference in a child's life by being a positive influence and doing various activities with her.
Work Place
Match Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 29, 2016
I loved working for big brother big sister. The company was very welcoming and the staff was friendly.I think is better suited for people who don't have any children. It requires a lot of late nights.
Welcoming and friendly organization.
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 23, 2016
As an intern I truly enjoyed every moment of my experience working with all of the staff at Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work along side very competent case workers who seem to have a very cohesive relationship with each other. I felt that the supervisors are accredited to their profession and are very insightful on matters concerning the agency and especially with the children that are being served by the organization. The hardest part of the job seemed to be the vagueness of the job titles, often times people are hired on to function in one specific position but then it could be subject to change. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with the staff and to have had the pleasure of impacting children's lives for the better.
Awesome Experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Marquette County, MIMarch 14, 2016
Productive and fun workplace. Get to interview people, hang out with kids, organize match activities, match support and anything else they need. It has been the best place to intern.
Productive and fun work environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2016
I did community outreach and clerical work for my supervisor. my daily tasks included reaching out to parents in NYC who have inquired about our program. The hardest part about my job was still providing excellent services to parents who were not nice on the calls. In addition, I worked with children in middle school at the SONYC program, I was an assistant group leader helping facilitate after school program.
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
Too cold in office.
Making a difference in a young lady's life
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 28, 2016
My afternoon consists of sitting down and eating lunch with my lunch buddy. She tells me what's going in her life and I tell her what's going on in my life.
Pros
I can see her every week.
Cons
Sometimes it's not enough time to spend with her.
helping the community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ansonia, CTFebruary 21, 2016
I like what they do as far as helping the community but the pay and the hours suck. they only allow you to work part time not elegible for full time time work and no pay increase whichnis horrible
Pros
helping the community
Cons
easy work
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 8, 2016
I did not work for Big Brothers Big Sisters, I was just a volunteer. So although I am not sure what kind of company they are to work for, I can say that volunteering for them as a mentor was nothing short of amazing! It was a great experience, their employees were friendly and always there to help if I needed it.
Flexible
Enrollment/Matching Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I enjoyed this job because I coached, mentored and aided in volunteers and parent/guardians appropriateness for the program.
Pros
Work/family balance; flexible schedule
Cons
Insufficient Salary
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 6, 2016
I was an intern to a one manned office, so I was able to do everything the director did from computer work, reference calls, background checks, assessments, interviews, and meeting with different companies/organizations asking them to donate or be sponsors. I would help set up and run charity events and activities for kids.
excellent Pittsburgh non profit
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PADecember 28, 2015
An excellent company which offered me experience in the non profit sector as a Business Manager. The staff was friendly and the work was challenging.
Pros
colleagues
Cons
technology
Work with at Risk Youth and assist them in making life plan
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2015
I worked with about 25 -30 youth on my case load and would meet with the youth weekly. I managed their progress on a life plan they created upon their enrolment in the program. Their goals such as GED completion or Diploma completion, job search (which included mock interviews, proper clothing assistance, training.), financial aid, tech/trade school or college enrollment, community service and rehabs depending on their case.
Management, was reasonable as I had three supervisors at two different organizations. Co-workers were always fun to work with as they shared similar interests and goals for the youth.
The hardest part of the job would be to see a youth pulled from the program due to their bad decision to get into trouble and arrested with an adult charge. This made them unqualified and dropped from program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the youth progress and literally change for the good and set on a better path than they were on. Graduating from program and in college or at a full time career job.
Pros
see the progress and change in at risk youth.
Cons
seeing them make bad decisions
Room to grow
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 14, 2015
The organization is still finding itself and there is room for the organization to grow but there are many 1 step forward and 2 step back moments.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Divisive culture
Very Good
Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHDecember 1, 2015
I love children. It only takes one person to make or break a child's dream for the future and volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters program has had a huge impact on how I view the world with the short time period I have been involved thus far. I am ultimately looking to start a nonprofit which will help underrepresented individuals to have access to an adequate education in which they become successful moral agents of change.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Time is Short
Amazing program to be a part of
Big Brother (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2015
•Mentored as a Big Brother at Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy for underprivileged/at risk students who are interested in having a future carrier in Science.
Productive and enriching to young kids.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 26, 2015
This internship helped me learn how to run a non-profit as well as administration, human resources, programming, website management and programming.
Pros
Helping the youth
Cons
slow work days
Fun and Productive
Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Midland, MISeptember 28, 2015
It was an overall great experience I intend to continue, I believe it is both beneficial for both the mentor and the child.
Pros
Being able to work with children and watch them grow
Cons
It is only one day a week.

4.4