Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews in United States

Internship for 6 months
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 17, 2016
I interned at BBBS for six months. My hours were (9am-5pm), and I worked 20 hours per week. My supervisor was proactive in my learning in order to complete my MSW degree in mental health. Staff members were supportive of me. Many of the families I supported had children with learning disabilities.The most enjoyable part of the job was ensuring a good match was made between a Big Brother or Sister and a child in need. The most challenging part of the job was ensuring client files were completed in a timely manner.
Pros
Having my own office
Cons
Interviews versus Counseling
Caring and meaningful work
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJune 15, 2016
Centerstone is an agency of compassion and caring. A fast-paced work environment which demands skill sets in both community outreach and development. The management team encourages both professional and personal growth. I work with an amazing team who supports each other. The hardest part of the job is managing through a difficult funding environment, however the impact made on the children served is more than worth it.
Pros
Personal development opportunities, great co-workers, flexibility
Cons
Funding stresses, costly healthcare benefits
Good place to work. Great employees. Some work demands became difficult to achieve.
Intervention Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXJune 22, 2016
Organization took on projects that they were not qualified to complete. Failure to come to grips that ideas that would generate sustainable revenue. Enjoyed the time off when the winter holidays came.
Pros
Great people to work with in all departments, Leadership was very approachable.
Cons
Questions about funding and job stability.
Energetic work-place with a strong mission to better the community.
Match Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMay 13, 2016
The agency is fast-paced and innovative. Every worker works hard with the mission statement in mind: to improve the outcomes of the children we serve. This motivates everyone to try and do their best. Unfortunately, the agency does not pay well and uses it being a non-profit as the reason even though they make 1 million or so in profits every year.
Pros
Flexible and laid back work atmosphere
Cons
Low compensation
Billed medical claims for patients of an Internist
Executive Assistant to CEO (Current Employee) –  Camden, MEJuly 19, 2016
Fast-paced office. Co-workers were helpful, dedicated and delightful.

I learned more about overall medical billing, as well as day-to-day office operations. Hardest part of the job was billing 100 medical claims per day. Most enjoyable part of the job was assisting the doctors.
Productive and fun work environment
Intern (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 11, 2016
I did community outreach and clerical work for my supervisor. my daily tasks included reaching out to parents in NYC who have inquired about our program. The hardest part about my job was still providing excellent services to parents who were not nice on the calls. In addition, I worked with children in middle school at the SONYC program, I was an assistant group leader helping facilitate after school program.
Pros
Flexiblity
Cons
Too cold in office.
Welcoming and friendly organization.
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Lorain, OHMarch 23, 2016
As an intern I truly enjoyed every moment of my experience working with all of the staff at Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am very grateful to have had the opportunity to work along side very competent case workers who seem to have a very cohesive relationship with each other. I felt that the supervisors are accredited to their profession and are very insightful on matters concerning the agency and especially with the children that are being served by the organization. The hardest part of the job seemed to be the vagueness of the job titles, often times people are hired on to function in one specific position but then it could be subject to change. The most enjoyable part was building relationships with the staff and to have had the pleasure of impacting children's lives for the better.
Volunteer
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 8, 2016
I did not work for Big Brothers Big Sisters, I was just a volunteer. So although I am not sure what kind of company they are to work for, I can say that volunteering for them as a mentor was nothing short of amazing! It was a great experience, their employees were friendly and always there to help if I needed it.
Fun place to work.
Service Delivery Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kalamazoo, MIMay 23, 2016
I assessed children and mentors in order to match the pair in a mentorship relationship. This was a very rewarding position, filled with fun times with coworkers and matches.
Making a difference in a young lady's life
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, MAFebruary 28, 2016
My afternoon consists of sitting down and eating lunch with my lunch buddy. She tells me what's going in her life and I tell her what's going on in my life.
Pros
I can see her every week.
Cons
Sometimes it's not enough time to spend with her.
Very Good
Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHDecember 1, 2015
I love children. It only takes one person to make or break a child's dream for the future and volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters program has had a huge impact on how I view the world with the short time period I have been involved thus far. I am ultimately looking to start a nonprofit which will help underrepresented individuals to have access to an adequate education in which they become successful moral agents of change.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Time is Short
Work Place
Match Activities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INMarch 29, 2016
I loved working for big brother big sister. The company was very welcoming and the staff was friendly.I think is better suited for people who don't have any children. It requires a lot of late nights.
Intern
Intern (Former Employee) –  Macomb, ILJanuary 6, 2016
I was an intern to a one manned office, so I was able to do everything the director did from computer work, reference calls, background checks, assessments, interviews, and meeting with different companies/organizations asking them to donate or be sponsors. I would help set up and run charity events and activities for kids.
helping the community
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Ansonia, CTFebruary 21, 2016
I like what they do as far as helping the community but the pay and the hours suck. they only allow you to work part time not elegible for full time time work and no pay increase whichnis horrible
Pros
helping the community
Cons
easy work
Amazing Program to Work For
Community Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Carterville, ILJuly 15, 2016
I absolutely loved my time with BBBS and was able to apply my skill sets to advance the program and its impact on the community.
Good Place to work
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fort Wayne, INApril 13, 2016
I liked working here as a job fresh out of college. It's a small company, and they're no longer there. I don't really want to talk about it anymore because it was so long ago.
Excellent volunteer program
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHApril 6, 2016
I enjoy working with Big Brothers Big Sisters. I am able to make a difference in a child's life by being a positive influence and doing various activities with her.
Awesome Experience
Intern (Current Employee) –  Marquette County, MIMarch 14, 2016
Productive and fun workplace. Get to interview people, hang out with kids, organize match activities, match support and anything else they need. It has been the best place to intern.
Great!
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Mountain Lakes, NJJune 28, 2016
Good sales, very productive, flexible hours, very happy during the holidays, great management, very understanding if you need time off.
Flexible
Enrollment/Matching Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXFebruary 7, 2016
I enjoyed this job because I coached, mentored and aided in volunteers and parent/guardians appropriateness for the program.
Pros
Work/family balance; flexible schedule
Cons
Insufficient Salary

4.4