Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews in United States

Work with at Risk Youth and assist them in making life plan
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSDecember 17, 2015
I worked with about 25 -30 youth on my case load and would meet with the youth weekly. I managed their progress on a life plan they created upon their enrolment in the program. Their goals such as GED completion or Diploma completion, job search (which included mock interviews, proper clothing assistance, training.), financial aid, tech/trade school or college enrollment, community service and rehabs depending on their case.
Management, was reasonable as I had three supervisors at two different organizations. Co-workers were always fun to work with as they shared similar interests and goals for the youth.
The hardest part of the job would be to see a youth pulled from the program due to their bad decision to get into trouble and arrested with an adult charge. This made them unqualified and dropped from program.
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the youth progress and literally change for the good and set on a better path than they were on. Graduating from program and in college or at a full time career job.
Pros
see the progress and change in at risk youth.
Cons
seeing them make bad decisions
Room to grow
Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newark, NJDecember 14, 2015
The organization is still finding itself and there is room for the organization to grow but there are many 1 step forward and 2 step back moments.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Divisive culture
Very Good
Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Newark, OHDecember 1, 2015
I love children. It only takes one person to make or break a child's dream for the future and volunteering with Big Brothers Big Sisters program has had a huge impact on how I view the world with the short time period I have been involved thus far. I am ultimately looking to start a nonprofit which will help underrepresented individuals to have access to an adequate education in which they become successful moral agents of change.
Pros
Lunch
Cons
Time is Short
Amazing program to be a part of
Big Brother (Former Employee) –  Pittsburgh, PANovember 12, 2015
•Mentored as a Big Brother at Pittsburgh Science and Technology Academy for underprivileged/at risk students who are interested in having a future carrier in Science.
Productive and enriching to young kids.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCOctober 26, 2015
This internship helped me learn how to run a non-profit as well as administration, human resources, programming, website management and programming.
Pros
Helping the youth
Cons
slow work days
Fun and Productive
Mentor/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Midland, MISeptember 28, 2015
It was an overall great experience I intend to continue, I believe it is both beneficial for both the mentor and the child.
Pros
Being able to work with children and watch them grow
Cons
It is only one day a week.
Productive and great atmosphere
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXSeptember 22, 2015
Working at Big Brothers Big Sisters was a lot of fun. I worked behind the scenes; data entry and also had the opportunity to speak with volunteers whom expressed their interest in the program.
Productive and fun working place
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CASeptember 2, 2015
Great people. Awesome environment, with benefits. More of office work and filling paper work. You can really grow and develop there
Pros
friendly enviornment
Cons
Expensive resturants
Great Company
Mentor and Speaker (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLAugust 27, 2015
Great company and helps so many other people, especially kids. Wonderful experience opportunity for a social worker just out of the master's program
Overall Great Experience
Volunteer Community Clean (Former Employee) –  Henrico, VAAugust 25, 2015
Working as a volunteer to help with cleaning impoverished neighborhoods that have been deprived of assistance. I have learned the value of helping our communities and how helping clean up a area can also change someones outlook on a neighborhood.
Works one on one with child
Counselor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHAugust 20, 2015
Very rewarding job. Learn great techniques that you can use in any job. Families are very fun to work with. Job environment is very encouraging.
A great place to connect a diverse group of people
Site Based Specialist (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIAugust 8, 2015
I truly enjoy working at Big Brothers Big Sisters because of their mission to connect young people with someone that they can confide in and usually depend on.
Pros
Great atmosphere, staff members are supportive, and the pay is cool for part time.
Cons
Not enough hours, you really can't grow in the company unless we win togethr the megamillions
big brother big sister
Big Sister (Former Employee) –  Napa, CAAugust 3, 2015
i volunteered there every Thursday. I helped kids out with homework, played bored games, played on the playground/ did many activities with the kids. everyone was nice and the kids where always good
Great workplace!
Staff Accountant (Current Employee) –  Irving, TXJuly 27, 2015
i really enjoyed what the company stood for.....kids. Working there was a great learning experience. Great atmosphere!
Big Brothers Big Sisters
Resource Development Director (Former Employee) –  Midland, TXJuly 23, 2015
Typically there was a lot of time spent in the office but there were out-of-office activities scheduled on a weekly basis. These included mentor interviews, family activities, filming P.S.A.'s, fundraising, meetings and trainings. I most enjoyed the knowledge that I was helping better the lives of local children.
good experience
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  St. Cloud, MNJuly 15, 2015
volunteering to help a child is important and beneficial to both parties. it's a learning experience and spending just a little time with a child on a weekly basis can make all the difference for them.
Job was decent
Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Jacksonville FloridaJuly 1, 2015
Most of the people at the organization really care about the kids they serve. Others just seemed to care about the adults.
Teaching a child
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Winona, MNJune 21, 2015
I would pick my little up from school and then we would pick an activity. some of the activities we picked where arts and crafts, bowling, movies. and home work when she hadn't finished it. I learned how to be dependable for a little girl. he hardest part was ending my mach becasue I moved away from college. The best part was watching her grow over the 4 years.
A great organization to work with
Internship- Special Events Intern (Current Employee) –  Morrisville, NCJune 21, 2015
Big Brothers Big Sisters has offered me a great internship with plenty of career specific experience, and an amazing staff that helps along the way.
Great thing to do
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Springfield, ILJune 18, 2015
I love helping others and this program gives you the ability to help make a change in someone life. Not all children have problems as people may feel some just want a older sibiling.
Pros
changing lives

4.4