Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews in United States

Fun self paced work enviroment
Customer Relations Specialist (Former Employee) –  Irving, TXDecember 27, 2012
Typical day was self paced, still had goals to meet, but as long as we did what was expected things ran smoothly. Management would help when needed. Co-Workers were GREAT! Most enjoyable was knowing that all the work we did was for a good cause, giving a child a Big Brother or Big Sister.
Pros
paid 2 weeks off during christmas.
Cons
not enough training
N/a
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNJune 1, 2015
Good Place and enjoy working with Children. Look forward to seeing more children grow in the World. Talking to different parents and finding out children needs
Rewarding job
Match Specialist (Former Employee) –  Worland, WYDecember 20, 2012
Constant change in leadership or directorship. Non profit employment. No funds, No job. There were no benefits and very low hours. Very rewarding employment working with youth and adult volunteers.
Pros
rewarding job working with youth and adult volunteers.
Cons
unstable leadership - continual change. no funds, grants, etc - no job.
Small agency, family like atmosphere with co-workers
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Cherry Hill, New JerseyJuly 23, 2014
A typical day at work is fast paced, at times hectic.
One wears many hats in the non-profit world of BBBS.

In one word I learned versatility, growing in areas of my personnel life as well as my work environment. Meeting the challenges of the day, while looking forward to what was going to occur next.

My co-workers, an amazing, intelligent group of people to work along side of, and learn from. All whom were multi-talented.

Most challenging balancing work and personnel life

Helping families/children improve their lives in a meaningful and transformative way.
Pros
close connection with co-workers
Cons
dependent on grant monies and the stipulations of the grant. (red tape)
Productive workplace.
Media Coordinator/Match & Enrollment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Danville, VAFebruary 21, 2014
Overall good company to work for, alot of opportunity for growth.
benefits
Productive office with interactive outside work
Intern (Former Employee) –  State College, PAMarch 17, 2014
Half of my day is spent in the office making phone calls, checking e-mails and sending/writing letters. I have learned many useful office type skills including how to use the directory system and the copier/scanner/printer and how the postage marker. The other half of my day is spent at elementary or middle after school programs. There I get to hang out with the kids and be a one-on-one mentor. It is really great to be able to work with these kids and watch them grow week by week. I also spend time with first time, non-violent offenders on juvenile probation. I take them to and from activities and hang out with them and try to be a role model. My favorite part of the job is being able to work with all the kids.
Mentoring Program
AmeriCorps Vista Prevention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Carbondale, ILApril 1, 2013
A typical day here would start with me calling volunteer and parents and performing match support. I would ask them questions about the match between the volunteer and the child and make sure all is well, if it is not, I assist with issues that any party might have. I also would do home visits to do match support, if I could not reach the people by phone. I did fundraising for the agency for Bowl for Kids Sake often and also did filing and data entry. The hardest part of the job was when a child came in that I felt could benefit from a mentor, but there was some type of barrier that prevented that from becoming a reality. The most enjoyable part of the job was the event that Big Brothers Big Sisters put on. At these events I got to see and meet the matches on my caseload and actually see the connection between them and hear much fun they having together at the event.
Sharing the love with brothers and sisters
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  lecantoSeptember 16, 2013
I loved Big Brothers and Big Sisters. It wasn't my job, it was just volunteer work but I loved it none the less. I enjoyed helping kids learn and reach their full potential. It was so amazing for me to see the light bulb go on when the kids learned something or figured out a problem they weren't sure about. The hardest part about this job was to see the older kids leave and graduate into middle school. It was hard because we knew that we wouldn't get to spend time with them like we did when they were in elementary school. They're older now and Big Brothers and Big Sisters only went to the elementary school.
Pros
everything about it was good
Cons
nothing really bad
It always great to give back
Mentor/Tutor and Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Knoxville, TNMarch 31, 2015
Working with BBBS i got the opportunity to meet some amazing children in the Knoxville area. Mentoring and tutoring were apart of my daily routine at BBBS, but nothing beats the smile on a childs face when you come to visit.
Fun workplace
Mentor Program (Current Employee) –  Lompoc, CADecember 30, 2014
Big Brothers Big Sisters is overall a fun workplace to interact with children. This program is held at the Boys and Girls Club in Lompoc so we get to hangout in the gym, play room or outside. My co-workers are awesome and we all have a blast playing with the kids. I am glad I am volunteering for this program because its humbled me as a person, I have made a lot of friends, and it is a great way to build my resume.
Pros
free lunches, fun workplace, great atmosphere
in between job experiment
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  San Luis Obispo, CASeptember 3, 2014
I wanted to give back to the community after I was laid off from KPMG so I tried something different. It was fun but a lot of hard work. I enjoyed the experience
Pros
residual good feelings
very good experience
Part-time Counselor (Former Employee) –  Bowling Green, OHNovember 12, 2012
i was part of the agency identifying suitable big brother/big sister matches, i supervised current matches with direct or phone follow up to see how match was progressing and to direct any needed feedback or concerns for all parties involved. i did a specific screenig to eliminate unsuitable volunteers with a detailed one on one interview with candid questions to obtain character traits and goals of each individual going thru the selection process. i documented results in a report and reccomended individuals for approval with a match to be considered in the second phase of the screening process. i was directly involved in group activities with the present matches in weekly set events that matches could participate in.i took initial intake calls to inform callers about the agency and its requirements.
Pros
i obtained my counselor and social worker license
Cons
this was a part time job only which limited my income
it was a nice place to work
Office Internship (Former Employee) –  Clarksville, TNJune 8, 2014
It was nice, quiet. Co workers were nice and pleasant. I learned office skills such as data entry, phone etiquette, file management.
Pros
nice people and it was helping the community
Cons
not as fast paced envirnment as i would have hoped for
Productive and fun place to work, great atmosphere and I would recommend it to anyone!
Public Relations VISTA (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXJuly 17, 2013
A typical day at work consisted of:
- Calling potential volunteers to follow up with them.
- Writing a weekly newspaper article to be published in local newspaper.
- Reviewing volunteer's and Little's assessments and comparing them so that I could match them up someone they would get along with best.
- Maintaining all of Big Brothers Big Sisters social media pages with the most up to date information.
- Promoting our upcoming events both online and throughout town.
- Speaking at the local universities to recruit volunteers.
Pros
friendly environment, flexible, experience was useful and i learned a lot during my one year term.
Cons
n/a
Okay place to work
Internship (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 18, 2014
I come in to work and go to my manager to see what I had to work on for the day. I would work on what I was told to work on until my lunch break. I took my 30 minute lunch break. I worked on my work until it was time for me to get off work. I would show my manager the work that I had done. Then I would go home. I learned how to type documents fast. I learned how to research funding sources. My manager and co-workers was so nice to me. There was not a hard part of this job. The most enjoyable part of this job is watching television while eating your lunch.
Pros
gained office experience
Foundational, Professional & wonderful Environment to Work
Office Manager & Caseworker Manager (Current Employee) –  Evansville, INOctober 7, 2012
Great group of ladies & a phenominal place to work. Teachable moments & opportunities for career growth.
Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Greater Nashua was an enjoyable place to work.
Case Work Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Big Brothers/Big Sisters of Greater NashuaJanuary 21, 2013
A typical work day would consist of arriving at work at 8:30AM and start making contacts by telephone with volunteers and parents of the children enrolled into the program. Keep case notes up to date, and attend any meetings that were scheduled for that day. Other times, I would conduct home visits on volunteers, as well as the families enrolled into the program. What I learned is that there are so many wonderful people who want to make a positive difference in the lives of under priveleged children. My co-workers were great. I really enjoyed working with and beside them. The hardest part of the job was when a volunteer could no longer spend time with a child they had developed a relationship with and I had to call the parent to let them know. The most enjoyable part of the job was when the volunteers were so committed to their Little Brother/Sister, that they spent many years helping the child mature and grow as a productive adult in their community.
Great experience
Mentor (Current Employee) –  Roxbury, MASeptember 16, 2012
Excellent company with a bright outlook on opportunity and advancement of others.
Successful company, passionate people, great cause.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CANovember 26, 2013
This is one of those jobs where your view of the world changes. The management is outstanding and the program is excellent.
Pros
great people and a great cause.
Cons
limited funding.
Non Profit mentoring program
Special Events (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 19, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the effects the organization had on the children. The are a company that actually makes a difference in the community.
Pros
flexibility and the ability to grow within the company
Cons
departments operated seperately

4.4