Big Brothers Big Sisters Employee Reviews in United States

Intern
Health Awareness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMarch 13, 2015
Great place to be an intern. I'm learning a lot and would recommend it to any college student to look into. There is a great atmosphere and workers are there because they want to be.
Interning with Big Brothers Big Sisters
Intern (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHJuly 26, 2014
Interning with Big Brothers Big Sisters, I have gained invaluable experience. I have had the opportunity to plan a fundraising event with McDonald's, conduct match meetings, contact clients for match support and type up assessments on clientele. The staff is very helpful and have a passion for what they do. Interning with Big Brothers Big Sisters has truly opened my eyes to what others in my community experience and knowing that I am helping them and making an impact is a job well done in my book.
Friendly volunteer environment
Big Sister (Former Employee) –  High Point, NCMarch 11, 2013
Every Friday I visit my little sister and spend time with her, whether it is playing games, helping with her school work, and giving her someone to open up to. It has been a great experience to be involved with the community where I attend college. It is a great feeling knowing I'm helping her and impacting her life greatly. I enjoy her teacher, as well as her classmates. I feel very welcomed and I feel like the other students look up to me.
Pros
knowing i am impacting my littles life
Cons
unfortunately going to have to leave her when i graduate
Work Study/College Student
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Lafayette, LASeptember 9, 2013
Improve customer service skills as well as interpersonal skills, developed a lasting connection with co-workers and well as executive director.
Excellent Organization
Enrollment & Matching Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJuly 2, 2012
The best part of this job is the co-workers & the executive director. Excellent work environment!!
Average
Associate (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYAugust 4, 2013
No room to grow!
Making calls,customer service,working on Saturdays is hardest part.
Nothing Enjoyable.
Cons
no benefits
Fun work place
VISTA- Enrollments and Matching Specialist (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILMay 21, 2013
This was my first job out of college and I started as VISTA through Americorps. This experience taught me about the professional world, opened my eyes to the social service world and the high-risk population that it serves. It taught me about working with others, talking with both parents and adults and built confidence as being a case manager.
Pros
great networking source and starting point for social service
Cons
only a year long contract
Making copies
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saint Cloud, MNMay 24, 2013
Make copies, assemble packets within days that are assigned with projects. A typical day would be slow with no projects, at least one or two projects on a typical day. I learnt how to use the laser copy machine and how to scan-print files. Also learnt how to use Excel and MS more often. Co-workers are very nice and flexible. Hardest part of the job was to start conversation with co-workers. Most enjoyable part of the job was making copies, assembling packets and organizing, etc.
Fun Workplace & Help Children
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ILJuly 12, 2012
Overall my job at Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Illinois was amazing. It was the best job that i have ever had. Unfortunately working there requires alot of education that i didn't have. Even though i could do the work, I still wasn't treated as fair as I thought i should have been.
Pros
good work environment, friendly people, good hours
Cons
short breaks, crazy boss
Great way to contribute to the community and help those who dont have a big brother figure in thier lives
Volunteer Mentor (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 21, 2012
I learned alot about how under represented our youth is in San Diego, and how much a few hours of your day can make a big impact. When me and my lilttle brother go hang out i can see his social skills improving and his confidence has definitely increased as well.
Pros
you fell like you have done something good at the end of the day
Great Company to Volunteer With!
Mentor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, CTJuly 2, 2012
I volunteered for BBBS in Connecticut for over 6 months. This company was always responsive to my needs and suggestions. They connected me with an awesome little girl who was a perfect match for me. The hardest part of this position was having to send her back to her family each day I spent with her. I loved teaching her new things, and being a part of her growing up process.
Efficient
Youth mentoring volunteer (Current Employee) –  cin, ohOctober 8, 2014
I learned not only an extraordinary amount about children in need but also myself. With this organization I realized my adoration of nonprofit organizations and what they mean to people in need. This human resource is excellent in aiding children of harsh backgrounds and mentoring them to rise higher than the building trend.
somers point
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  somers pointJanuary 25, 2015
typical day at work, come in, get my coffee, sign into network, turn answering service off, start working, take lunch, back to work, make any necessary phone calls,
My Experience
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bartlesville, OKOctober 1, 2013
Truly enjoyed working for a non-profit organization such as Big Brothers Big Sisters. This was a Temp Position & was only there a short period of time to help get through their busy time of helping with receiving pledges, entering them into the system, balancing, and making deposits.
It was a short but great experience to see how a non-profit organization works.
Pros
being involved with a non-profit organization
Fun, productive, easy workplace.
Clerical Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Abilene, TXAugust 23, 2012
Big Brothers Big Sisters was an easy workplace, my boss was great, my co-workers were always nice and helpful, I learned how to stay organized and re-label files and put them where they needed to go so they could be found easily. The hardest part of my job was making sure nothing got lost and if so finding out where it went.
Pros
free lunches, great people to work with
Very rewarding Job
Match support specialist (Former Employee) –  Show Low, AZNovember 28, 2012
Typical day was putting together programs for kids after school. I matched them with there Big which was typically a high school student and they would meet once a week and spend time together, weather it be after school or doing something on weekend which i would plan and put together for them.
Pros
free program for everyone
Cons
budget cuts only con i can think of
Bbbs
Internship/Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, NEApril 20, 2014
oAssisted with and participated in group activities
oDeveloped a one on one relationship with a youth by offering consistency, encouragement, and role modeling
oMonitored youth during activities
oTutored ages 9 and assisted with homework assignments
oTo fulfill the time and contact requirement or either the community of school programs
Pros
free lunches
School-aged volunteer opportunity
camp counselor, lifeguarding, and volunteering (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 20, 2014
I participated in Big Brother Big Sister in North Philadelphia for one full school term. I found that being a positive outlet for children can be very rewarding. Working with inner city children can be challenging at times, but the overall is experience is something I will treasure.
Small office environment and feel
School-Based Match Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 5, 2014
The meaning and values of the agency reflect in its work. It showed that many people were aware of the good happening in the city because of this agency. I had a long commute, that made it difficult to keep up with everything work-wise and at home.
Life changing experience
Mentor to several students (Former Employee) –  North Chicago, ILOctober 12, 2012
Being able to mentor a child and know that you are making a difference is one of the best feelings. These kids came from less fortunate families, so to be able to make a difference even when it is only once a week is something I will always remember.
Pros
work with kids, make a difference in their lives
Cons
school program only

4.4