Big Fish Games Employee Reviews

Work was fun!
Senior Game Tester, Game Release Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 22, 2017
So when I started I had lots of time to work on side projects that helped me further my career. Later on there were several positions that my management failed to backfill causing me to have an unmanageable workload.
I was at Big Fish for 10 years
Producer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 23, 2017
The leadership at Big Fish has a great vision and shares it frequently with the company. Advancement can be difficult depending on what team you are on, but if you position yourself to be an expert in your field and stay hungry, I have seen many people move up the ladder through the years.
No vision
Business Intelligence Analyst/Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 8, 2017
Good work/life balance. I learned a lot about data warehousing practices, and using different soap/rest apis, extracting json blogs and dserializing it into C# objects. The management was a huge negative at this place. They don't care about employee career growth. They only want their objectives met. The workplace culture is a huge issue. There is a lot of biased towards certain individuals.
Pros
Free lunch a lot
Cons
No future.
Office politics can ruin something great
Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 5, 2017
Pros:
Work/Life balance is fantastic.
There are several very talented people that you will get to work with.
Work hours are flexible for many positions.

Cons:
There are no opportunities for advancement, especially for women.
Most of the decision-makers are not gamers and, therefore, make very poor business decisions which negatively impact the company's long-term performance.
The people make the place worth staying for.
Senior Mobile Game Ops Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WANovember 5, 2016
The work place is very casual but focused on numbers most of the time. The people here make it worth staying for most cases.
Wonderful Place to Work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAApril 25, 2016
I was a contract customer support rep for 3 months and enjoyed every minute of working at Big Fish Games. Every employee and manager was eager to help those learning their positions and the atmosphere was pleasant and friendly.
Pros
Several gifts provided by the company.
It is a fun place to work
DeskTop Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WADecember 16, 2015
In the IT department there were those that were very professional and then a couple that were not.

Overall the management was awesome and it was a relaxed atmosphere even with stress.

Games and toys were always visible so it made it a nice place to work.

It definitely did not have a corporate feel which was a good thing.
Pros
Free food most of the time
Cons
The manager did not get involved to find out how the help desk worked together.
Good to Get Your Foot in the Door but not For Long Term
Artist Type (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAAugust 28, 2015
The benefits and pay at the company and comparable. For an artist or designer, the pay is average for the level of service being asked for. There are limits to how far you can move up as a creative. The only way to improve your position and pay is through a management track.

Any job review is as much of a review of the people you work with as it is the company as a whole. It is a review of your coworkers and bosses as it is the benefits and pay and resources delivered by the company. In my situation, my current manager is unsatisfactory but previous managers and directors have been okay to work with and a couple have been great to work with. It does come down to how the the culture of the company is cultivated. Meaning, what kind of people do they bring in and what kind of values do they promote. Most of the people working in my group are 20-somethings, local, 2-year higher education and many if not all have only started working here within the last 2 years. This comes down to how much the company is willing to pay for top-tier employees.
Big Fish CS Life
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 5, 2015
While the job and culture of this company are more than enough to make any person happy, both while sitting at your desk and getting to play at office functions, there are a lot things to be wary about.
Fun workplace
Customer Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 23, 2014
Learned a lot here and met a lot of great people. Very fun work environment.
Good job, old management was better
Game Dev (Current Employee) –  Oakland, CAFebruary 18, 2014
This is overall a great place to work, it's a fast environment that demands a lot from it's workers. The only con I can think of is that management does not seem to have a great handle on work. There are times where managers do not know what their workers are working on, and even if they did there are some managers there who have never coded on the current engine we use so there is not much in terms of oversight, you just get what you are supposed to get done done, and you work with your team while doing it. This could also be because the office was in a transitional period and did not have everything set, things fall through the large cracks a lot.
Pros
Catered Lunches, monthly massages
Cons
Scattered management
Great place to work if it weren't for the management
Software Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAFebruary 10, 2014
Fellow coworking peons are knowledgeable and friendly for the most part. The atmosphere is relaxed, nerf darts and scooters abound. The projects aren't the most exciting to work on, but I've seen much worse. Yes, this would be a great place to work except for the management.

Managers here are somehow completely unavailable and micromanaging at the same time. There's no clear direction; the company's main focus changes every few months; engineers routinely work without requirements documentation, and for a company as small as it is, there is an amazing amount of politics going on. Managers support their favorites regardless of what the right or best decision is, is woe be upon you if you disagree with your manager or their chosen ones.
Pros
Scooters, free drinks and snacks, general office culture, lenient on vacations and days off
Cons
Politics, managers, lack of direction, team infighting