Big G Express Employee Reviews

Good place
Regional Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNAugust 27, 2016
A great place to work, filled with fun and hard working co-workers with good professional skills and knowledge of the Trucking industry. Loading and unloading trucks is a major job function in this role.
Are not afraid to lay to employees to benefit themselfies
Over the road truck driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNJune 23, 2016
I worked for them for 7 years. In the beginning the company was a great 150 truck company, after my 5 year the company obtained another few hundred trucks in a short period of time. The company began to hire dispatchers that knew nothing about the trucking industry, causing the turn over rate to jump by 15% in around a year. Do yourself a favor a stay away from Big G Express.
Pros
freight that pulled in and out of home town
Cons
A bunch of lairs
good working environment
Diesel Mechanic Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNApril 19, 2016
i learned a lot such as cleaning DPF filters and APU services.
The hardest part of the job was answering the phone.
My co-workers were good people they helped me with different stuff and things i didn't know.
Employee Owned Company with great benefits and awesome culture
Manager (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNJanuary 12, 2016
Big G Express is a great place to work! They are 100% employee owned through an Employee Stock Ownership Plan (ESOP). As an employee, you get to share in the success and profitability of the company. Shares are distributed based on compensation and years of service, and I have seen my account balance more than double in just four years. Leadership is committed to taking care of our drivers and that makes my job much more enjoyable. I love making people happy and we are encouraged to go above and beyond and take care of our fellow employees daily.
I know that our drivers really value the quality of our equipment and the technologies we invest in. Our goal is for every driver to return home safely each week. This is the first trucking company I have worked for, so I can't compare from direct experience, but from what our drivers tell me and what I consistently see in responses on our driver surveys, Big G Express is one of the best companies out there!
I am proud to work for a company who values everyone and strives to provide the best work/life balance possible.
Pros
Employee Stock Ownership Plan, Family Atmosphere, excellent equipment, great people, awesome benefits
Great people! Communications is the key at Big G!
OTR DRIVER (Current Employee) –  Jeffersonville, IndianaOctober 13, 2015
Main thing is Communication here at BIG G EXPRESS, I love working here at this place! Great people great pay and great benefits! Exception equipment and facilities!
Pros
Benefits are great!
Cons
Really haven't found any cons!
go broke working here
OTR Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNAugust 14, 2015
I just did not like to set. Seem like I had to wait 3hrs to get my next load time is money when the wheels don't roll.an they say start pay 40 cpm. I was making 36 an the new mile bonus will depend on how well they like you to give you miles
Pros
apu an lunch
Cons
no miles an had to set to much.
Poor Management-They are disrespectful to drivers and offices employees
Dispatch (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNFebruary 2, 2015
Management is poor at best. The office workers talk about everyone behind there back. Doesn't matter if your a driver or a dispatcher. I wouldn't recommend anyone to work for this company. They tell drivers anything to get them in the door. Horrible communication between drivers, dispatch and driver managers. They will press loads on you. If you don't take them the new Dispatch Manager will throw bad loads your way to show you a lesson. Not professional at all!!
Pros
They pay office workers good. But not drivers, average 2000 miles a week at best!
Cons
where to start? They lie, cheat, and deceive you. Your just a driver!
Best company ive ever worked for, very employee and family oriented, only leaving because my family needs can't be met as an otr driver
Truck Driver (Current Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNJanuary 8, 2015
Dispatch works with the drivrs, the management team is excellent and will help address any issues we have to make the day flow better. Hardest part is being away from my kids, most enjoyable part was doing my job well enough to be considered one of the best drivers in the business,
Pros
Constantly offerinf extra things for employees, upgrading driver facilities, and asking for driver input on what to make our lives easier
Cons
Away from family
Fleet trucking at its best
Diesel Technician (Former Employee) –  Mount Juliet, TNApril 3, 2014
Working in a great facility and a fleet company that you can learn from and grow skills in the workplace
Pros
Facility
Cons
Compensation
Poor Company
Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNFebruary 28, 2014
Job is not good. Not good miles or pay. Could not get you home when you want to get there.
A company for young single people
Over the Road Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNJanuary 27, 2014
They are a up and coming trucking company, that needs drivers that don't need much home time. I feel the company needs more dispatchers that know more about what it's like to be a truck driver. When I was hired the company told me I would be on dedicated lanes which only happened on occasions.
Pros
Trips to California
Cons
not enough home time.
very pleasant workplace
Professional Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNMarch 20, 2013
Least enjoyable part of the job is; sit-time. Most enjoyable part is; home time and family benefits. A typical day at work consists of; pick up and delivery of freight to multiple customers.
Pros
great benefits, dispatchers will work with you if needed.
Cons
none.
Very Good Dispatcher
Truck Driver, Eastern Reg (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville TnFebruary 8, 2013
Switch loads alot but overall very nice people and nice routes
it is the same as ant other trucking company
Truck Driver O.T.R (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNOctober 15, 2012
Over all it is a typical trucking company.
there are things that are good, like a recruiting bonus for getting other drivers to work for them,
Bad things also, like it says on the company logo, "100% employee owned" in a way that is true, but when it come down to it, you have an Employee Stock Opption Program (ESOP) but none of the drivers have any sort of say in the company.
Typical trucking company,doesn't put family first.
na (Former Employee) –  Shelbeyville,TNJuly 6, 2012
They are simply a typical company that doesn't care about home time.Miles have decreased over the past year by 30% and pay has not gotten any better.Bonuses are very very small and insurance though okay is expensive for a family. (averaging $100 a week for a family of 3) Dispatch is okay depending on who you get,though night shift seems to care more about their drivers.They have lost important contracts in the past few months making it hard to come by good miles and drivers having to stay out 2-3 weeks at a time to bring home the same type of money they once were on an average week.I would give this company 5/10.They are so wishy washy it's not even funny.
Pros
some staff is friendly.
Cons
planning department is an utter mess.they do not care when you come home.
If you want miles and good pay, these guys are perfect for the average over the road driver.
OTR & Local Tractor Trailer Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNMay 24, 2012
If it wasn't for having 2 boys while working for this company, I'd probably still be there. But I wanted to be home every night with my family since there were 2 new toddlers to raise. With Big G, you basicall came home most every Friday evening and headed out every Sunday. The pay was good, the benefits were reall good for the cost and the mangement seemed to really care about their employees. The gave referral/recruiting bonuses, monthly product giveaways (such as large grills or lawn mowers), and kept you rolling. They try really hard to get every driver in on Fridays. Employee owned.
Pros
a great company, overall!
Cons
really to speak of.
Good Equipment and YARD
OTR Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TNApril 30, 2012
I liked driving at Big G Express.Dispatchers are good people. They will work with you,if you work with them. I will drive for them again if I want to drive tractor/trailor over the road.Good Company.
Pros
liked the equipment, dispatch, shop, drivers, management.
Cons
planners, need to get their together, hire experienced planners
Very busy workplace working with good people.
Driver Payroll Clerk (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, TN 37160November 29, 2011
Good place to work with advancement opportunities when available.
Pros
employee appreciation dinners, bonuses, friendly people
Cons
lots of job turnover, no job security in admin dept

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big G Express. Our community is ready to answer.

Big G Express Reviews by Location