BIG CAREERS! BIG OPPORTUNITIES!
Our people make Big Lots a great place to shop -- and a great place to work. We're looking for people committed to delivering great service. Who live and breathe retailing. Who want a career with terrific opportunities, challenges and rewards.
Whether you're interested in our retail division, finance or our corporate office, we'd like to hear from you. Big Lots is a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio. We have over 1,500 stores in North America and five regional distribution centers -- and there's always room for great people.
Ensures Company compliance with state and local income/franchise tax law & tax accounting under GAAP. Implements state and local tax minimization strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (include but are not limited to the following):
1. Prepares state and local income and franchise tax returns for all states and localities where the Company is required to file returns. Prepares all supporting documentation required to ensure accurate and timely filing of returns and provides adequate audit trails.
2. Prepares quarterly state and local income tax estimated payments and annual extension requests.
3. Prepares and analyzes state and local income tax apportionment information, including the analysis of miscellaneous income, expense and balance sheet items that may impact the allocation of taxable income to the states or localities.
4. Reconciles state and local income general ledger accounts and completes any ancillary schedules as required.
5. Monitors state and local tax developments and informs management of issues and events that may impact the Company.
6. Works with Finance and Human Resources areas to gather information necessary to obtain and claim state and local tax credits or other incentives for the Company.
7. Researches and responds to inquiries and correspondence from state and local tax authorities.
8. Assists with state and local income tax audits and special assignments.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting required.
2. CPA and/or MBA or MST candidate preferred.
3. At least one year corporate tax experience required.
4. Outstanding analytical and excellent oral and written communication skills required.
5. Strong PC and keyboarding skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word and advanced Microsoft Excel skills required.
6. Experience with tax preparation software required; experience with Thomson Reuters’ ONESOURCE preferred.
7. Working knowledge of SAP ERP Financials including general ledger, BI/BW and/or BEX Analyzer preferred.