Big Lots Employee Reviews in United States

Found 2,230 reviews matching the search
A difficult place to work
Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Montgomery, ALApril 5, 2016
I have been at this job for a while and this job really don't appreciate their employees. Lack of communication skills to employees (Supervisors and Management). There are departments who do strenuous work that should get paid more than what they should. They don't give us a cost of living raise. You would have to work anywhere from 10-15 years there just to top out. The hardest part of the job is wondering what rules Management is gonna come up with next. They really make it difficult to come to work everyday. The only enjoyable part of my job is socializing with my coworkers during breaks
Store Manager
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  United StatesMarch 11, 2016
Not a good company to work for. As with all retail labor hours are too low to run a model store. Technology is lacking. With the restructure many hard working employees were put aside or forced out of their current job titles. District Managers need to treat all management as equals and not choose favorites and work on succession planning.
Pros
Pay and great team of employees at my location.
Cons
Work/Life Balance, No room for advancement, labor hours, and benefits or lack there of.
Not a fan
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Tukwila, WAMarch 11, 2016
When I got hired at Big Lots, I was guaranteed a minimum of 3 hours a week. I started out at 20+ and it's been declining ever since. During the holidays of course, my hours are plentiful, like everyone else.

However, once the holidays are finished, everyone's hours are cut. I have been reduced to 4 hours a week. There was a week where I only worked 3.5 hours.

I am desperate for a job that gives me 40+ hours a week, as well as benefits. Big Lots is NOT a place you want to work if you're expecting to make big money unfortunately. Of course, I wasn't expecting to become a millionaire, but I was expecting to get at least $100+ per paycheck...
Pros
Great coworkers
Cons
Non-existent hours
Customer Service/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Morganton, NCMarch 10, 2016
They are good to work around your schedule. Even part timers get a few benefits. Pay is not too good but you do get a discount. It takes a long time to get promoted because the employees tend to stay. Also, they tend to hire management from outside companies instead of giving promotions. Sometimes it is boring if business gets slow.
Pros
Treat their employees fair, great flexibility
Cons
They rarely promote within the store
Good work environment
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Folsom, CAMarch 1, 2016
As a cashier come in for my shift and clock in. I enjoyed greeting my co workers at the start of each day. Everyday I learned something new, whether it was a new way to accomplish something or a new way to compromise with a customer. The hardest part of the job was having to deal with various personalities within the business structure who would lie and manipulate to accomplish their desire. The most enjoyable part of the job was dealing with regular customers who became part of the "family".
Pros
dealing with the public, close to where I lived, working various departments
Cons
no benefits, no steady hours
Wonderful Work Enviroment
CASHIER/CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Richmond, INJanuary 5, 2016
A typical day at Big Lots consists of many things; cleaning, preparing to open the store, making sure all products are in their proper place, etc. I haven't really learned anything that I didn't already know about working in retail to be honest, but I have increased my customer service skills since being employed there. The managers there are amazing and are very understanding of any situation. The hardest part of the job is probably the 4 am stocking shifts, but I love to do it because I can get my products put out in a timely manner without having to worry about getting in the customers way. The part I like best about my job is that I get to deal with the public and help customers find the product that they are looking for.
Pros
decent discount
Cons
low pay, no benefits
Fun place to work, job security
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Tremont, PAMarch 4, 2016
Great place to work. Plenty of hours. Guaranteed job security. Learned to run several different types of machinery. The management was very good. Co-workers were helpful and effective.
Pros
Excellent benefits, Job Security
Cons
Work and life balance wasn't great.
Productive and fun place to work with great benefits.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Longview, TXApril 4, 2016
I would go in and get the store ready for the day. I learned a lot about management styles and how to motivate others. I also learned what it takes to operate a store of that size.
Pros
Busy and creative place to work with great benefits.
Unprofessional
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXApril 1, 2016
I settled for this job because I didn't have transportation at the time. This job is very unorganized and unprofessional. I work part time and it is an easy job, but you can't move up in this job. Now that I have reliable transportation I can hopefully find a stable job that is full time and provides benefits to their employees.
Pros
20% off
Cons
No hours, no benefits
Ok place to work.
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Grants Pass, ORMarch 21, 2016
Asst. Manager was hard to work for. Rest of the team was awesome. Co-workers were hard working. Hardest part of the job was keeping up with daily tasks while trying to help customers and keep store clean.
Pros
Co-workers were nice, pay, benefits
Cons
Management, at that time.
Fast paced and very unorganized
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbia, MDOctober 20, 2015
The store had a family feel amongst employees for a long time until there was a change in management. Not a lot of hours for employees so store looked bad most of the time and tasks were left undone. No help from district manager when our store manager left at the peak holiday set up time. I was working 65-70 hours a week for several months but we got it done and it brought us together as a team. Once we got a new store manager it just went down hill. He wasn't a planner or worker so we were constantly being reactive instead of proactive. I was promised a raise but never got it so I chose to look elsewhere.
Pros
Job security and advancement
Cons
Disorganized
Big Lots
Associate Manager (Current Employee) –  Foley, ALJanuary 7, 2016
The company is trying to expand and grow, but the rules are not consistent and the management team needs more direction. My previous jobs I always excelled through team leadership and growth. I knew I would be able to move up within the company, and I was able to voice my opinion. All of that was stifled within this company.
Pros
benefits are decent for management
Cons
just about everything else
Great Place to Work
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Murrieta, CAOctober 2, 2015
I was very happy to see such a supportive and wonderful management team that took good care of it's workers. I only applied to be a cashier but within a week they were willing to move me up after seeing how fast I got the job. Management was always open to talk to, communicated well with others and really encouraged open ideas to boost sales.

They wanted you to succeed and be happy. They paid well, they gave great benefits and were very supportive. And they were a lot of fun. We would usually hold store meetings and then go to the local breakfast place after to have breakfast with everyone. Everyone had a great relationship with each other, be it vendors and employees and customers. There were always regular customers who loved shopping there because they always got a good experience. Great place to work!
Pros
Company watches out for it's workers, good advancement options, good pay, good benefits
Cons
Management can be unreasonably demanding at times, can be a bit on the busy side
ASSISTANT MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Fenton, MOMarch 4, 2016
Very fun, enjoyable staff. Great advancement opportunities, raises are given regularly. Job ranged from customer service to unloading trucks.
Pros
Great company
Cons
Change oh wait again no something new
Store Associate (Current Employee) –  Manchester, CTNovember 22, 2015
Don't share info with associates I've been threaten and do has my family I've been passed over for raise and my job duties cut back and they won't let me go and I can't find other jobs that will take me. Management always change they care about dollar open 24/7 for thanksgiving come on shows u they don't care about anything besides money cheap
Pros
20 percent off
Cons
Overall good company to work for
Assistant Team Leader (Current Employee) –  NCFebruary 26, 2016
Like every job, there are pros and cons. Overall, Big Lots is a great place to work. Co-workers are great. Customers are somewhat trying, which you will find at most retail stores.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Not a great work/home life balance
Assistant Team Leader - Service
Assistant Team Leader - Service (Current Employee) –  Ormond Beach, FLJanuary 8, 2016
Big Lots has been a great company to work for. The management team is very knowledgeable and helpful to all associates.Corporate does need to learn their plans do not work for all stores.
Pros
Benefits, fun atmosphere
Cons
Some of corporate'sideas
Productive, and nice people to work for
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Altoona, PAFebruary 11, 2016
I enjoy working with the people here. I enjoy checking out the customers and talking with them. It is neat and clean. The hardest part of the job is selling the BUZZ card because I do not see the benefits of it.
Pros
20 percent discount
Cons
the way they schedule you
Do not work here
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Toms River, NJSeptember 8, 2015
The all-around environment in Big Lots feels stagnant and forced at the same time. Management expects you to put in 4-6 hours of work in 1-3 hours (especially if you are unloading a truck). They try to give their employees minimal time, and hire more employees to fill in the blanks.

Questionable hiring practices: In my time with them, I had asked for more hours, but was denied. That being said, they still took applications and hired. If a person worked part-time, they would get benefits. I was hired as a temp (even though I was looking for full time; a job's a job) and got no more than 15 hours a week except for once when I got 18 hours. I saw a pattern and got a new job. I gave my two weeks, but soon after was told I would not even be needed for that time. I would never work there again unless I absolutely had to.
No jwork and life valance .
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 11, 2016
Compensation and benefits A+,no advancement opportunity,poor management skills,there are no set days for vacation approvals,there is very poor job work/lifebalance...

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.