Big Lots Employee Reviews

Found 2,976 reviews matching the search
A great experience for first time employees
Floor Associate/Cashier/CSS (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 27, 2017
When I first started at Big Lots, I didn't have that much experience in retail, but as I started working my way up from a floor associate to css (customer service specialist), it felt like a great accomplishment. On the flip side, you really have to work efficiently to receive recognition. Most of the managers and co workers were very nice and helpful. When I was a CSS, I did get a pay upgrade but unfortunately I wasn't able to receive the proper benefits because I was part time. Later on before I left, the css job title no longer existed, letting cashiers be able to do returns. Thankfully they did not down grade my pay because of the change.
Pros
Friendly associates/environment, employee discount
Cons
No benefits, no set hours
A relaxed pace job that provided excellent customer service
Stocker/Store Associate (Former Employee) –  Duluth, GAMay 27, 2017
Big lots as an employer was a critical point because i had just moved to the area. They gave me a job right away helping to open a new store they were planning to move to. The pay was minimal but the job was rewarding. In terms of happy customers that gave us repeat business.
Pros
Good management
Cons
Low pay
to much lifting by yourself
Dock to stock lead (Former Employee) –  New Haven, INMay 26, 2017
I have had shoulder surgery they would not work with my restrictions so I retired from there. Looking for new job that does not have me unload furniture trucks by myself. No safe way of bringing in door without lowering down to get in door
Stocker/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 26, 2017
Its a nice place to work. The other staff was helpful the manager was cool and easy to approach. The hours were ok the pay was not that great though..
Pros
employee discount
Cons
short breaks
Big Lots (Current Employee) –  Mishawaka, INMay 26, 2017
It's a great company to work with! I would recommend that company to anyone who likes retail and knows how to sell furniture! They are a wonderful company.
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
Loved the energy with the people I worked with
cashier and inventory (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORMay 25, 2017
Everything was all so laid back and I enjoyed everything about working there! Only thing that would have been nice would have been more hours but what can you do when you only work part time.
Pros
Develop good work ethics
Cons
Not enough hours
Hated this job
Assistant team leader (Former Employee) –  Gonzales, LAMay 25, 2017
Worse place i ever worked. No communication between the higher management.give no payroll to help, asked for everything to get done with limited amount of support
adored truck days
Manager (Former Employee) –  Logansport, INMay 24, 2017
i absolutely loved staying busy.. i love stocking.. i loved my employees.. i loved having a set schedule.. i didnt like the manager setting hihs shifts up and other managers to fail
Pros
set hours
Cons
manager
good pay/ no blance
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  OhioMay 23, 2017
Great pay but you are expected to live there. Vacations can be canceled with little to no notice. There are company policies but a district manager can change them to meet their needs. Culture of single out/ embarrass employees as a method of teaching.
Productive work place
Customer Service Associate (Current Employee) –  FloridaMay 23, 2017
Big lots is my first retail job i have learned new traits n new ways to interact with customers and assist them. I also learned organizational skills.
friendly work place
DTS Lead (Former Employee) –  Norwich, CTMay 23, 2017
a typical day at work consisted of opening or closing the store. Operating a cash register if there were lines. Processing customer returns. Merchandising the products on the shelves. Management had poor communication. They do not stick to company policies. The hardest part of working there was getting stuff that needed to be done being the store was short handed. The best part of working here was working the night shifts.
Pros
1/2 hour lunch breaks
Cons
short handed
Productive but not so much fun decent work place
Overnight Stocker (Current Employee) –  Elizabeth, NJMay 23, 2017
Productive but not so much fun decent work place .. non beneficial , no healt insurance , short breaks , no pay raise , no team efforts , roughly 18 to 20hrs per week
Pros
Employee discount
Cons
no benefits not enough hours
Its not that great of a place to be
Furniture Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIMay 23, 2017
Usually people who work here last only about a few months before they cant take it any longer. The work is very fast paced and it piles on you very quickly and usually its not the managers fault. The reason i say this is because they give each store a specific amount of hours total for a week, that is divided up between everyone working there, and its never good. Say they only give your store 300 hours for week,and you had 4 managers the store manager and the assistant store manager immediately take 90 hours of that, then your other two managers take 32 hrs a piece so a total of 146 is left for everyone else,which is supposed to be about 20 people, that's about 7 hours per person that week. some people get more hours than others so its total garbage.
Fast pace with it of heavy lifting
Associate (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, NYMay 23, 2017
People are great to work with but the managers communication is not very good. Coming from an organization that Communication is key to a place that don't really know what it is; is very frustrating
productive fast moving
Stocker/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, NCMay 22, 2017
Some managers can be rude but the work place its self is not that bad. The hardest part of the job is unloading the truck its a lot of moving and you got to keep up to get it done in a specific time. The discount is decent and the employees are nice
Summary
DTS Associate (Current Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMay 22, 2017
Not a terrible place to work at
A typical day includes being assigned a place to work and different task to complete before the end of the day
I learned how to restock and read labels. I learned about packaging process and selling furniture the right way.
The management was on key when it came to controlling the environment so that it was a pleasant place to come to. The management also oversees all its employees to make sure people were working hard and at least somewhat happy
The hardest part of the job was trying to work and take care of the customers needs. The hardest part of the job was trying to make sure all task were complete and all customers needs were meet while trying to take care of my own personal needs at the same time. It was not very easy to do but I managed for the time being.
The most enjoyable part was making a huge profit on a furniture sale!
Pros
Good prices and discounts
Cons
Hours
Associate Manager
Associate Manager (Former Employee) –  Colonie, NYMay 22, 2017
I would meet an associate at the store we go in I would count all drawers , put all information into the computer , count the deposit, set up all registers, Then open the store.
Pros
good customers
Cons
to much in store stealing
My life at Big Lots
Store Associate, Employment (Current Employee) –  Aliquippa, PAMay 22, 2017
Working at this company was a big experience as a part time store associate to ticketing and stocking groceries and also pushing carts and working cash registers now I'm ready to move on from there to find bigger and better things relating to my degrees that I have earned from Community College of Beaver County and Point Park University. I'm more willing to look for a job relating to my field closely to home, something to keep me busy all the time. I'm a very hard worker and a team player and I promise my family that I will always better myself.
Pros
Half hour lunches
Cons
15 minute breaks
soup sandwich
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Owensboro, KYMay 22, 2017
management sits on the display furniture in the back of the store. Employees are always late and late clocking out for work. There are no benefits. The scheduling was not consistent.
I arrived early and was encouraged to clock in early. I was asked to move furniture when I am disabled. If I did not, it would be done by older women, and beyond physical capabilities.
big lots
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Egg Harbor Township, NJMay 22, 2017
working for big lots was ok everyday I would walk an hour just to make it on time , I would be the only one unloading the truck ,had boxes fall on top of me , I worked my butt off to get laid off because the manager didn't like me.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Big Lots. Our community is ready to answer.