Big R Stores Employee Reviews

Decent place to work
Stocker (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INOctober 22, 2017
I started as a stocker, ended up having the pleasure to be apart of the grand opening of the new store in Michigan City, Indiana. Which is where I got my promotion to sporting goods and took care of the firearms within the store.
Pros
My position
Cons
The vice president was and is a bully
Productive and organized
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Spokane, WAAugust 30, 2017
Very structured and consistent work day, great group of people in the distribution center, learned to operate a forklift, stack and wrap pallets, load and unload trucks, nice people, great attitudes.
Decent job
Cashier/Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, ILAugust 15, 2017
The job itself is a good job. This is a good starter job if you are in high school or even if your are retired. This is however NOT a job you are able to make a living off of because you are not paid enough for the type of work that you do.
Pros
customers, christmas bonus, holiday pay
Cons
the way things are run, management, how much work is expected of you for little pay
Not an employee friendly place to work
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Fountain, COAugust 8, 2017
The company polices are followed loosely at best. Employee reviews are never done on time if at all. The management is unprofessional and will yell at employees in front of customers. Managers are also unprofessional in that they will single out employees and talk about employees behind their back. The store is always short staffed so other employees have to cover areas that are not their responsibility. Management does not communicate effectively amongst themselves causing confusion for employees about tasks that need to be accomplished.
Pros
1 hour lunches, time given off for emergencies
Cons
poor management, hostile work environment
Not good for most
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILJune 6, 2017
I would love to tell you about my experience there, but I cannot do that on a forum like this (I have good reasons not to share everything). But I can say this is not a place that I would recommend working at.
Not a great place towork for.
Cashier (Current Employee) –  Falcon, COMay 19, 2017
The managers of the store are not very willing to help make the work place a place worth working in, it is stressful and there is a lot of drama. They do make it easy on those who have a disability in the work place.
Pros
Good loyal costumers
Cons
working there
typical small retail company
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAOctober 19, 2016
Expect too much from middle managers vs. pay. When hired, I was promised a certain percentage of net profit if sales goals were met.
Shortly after hire, this program was pulled.
Pros
good atmoshere for customers
Assistant Manager IT (Former Employee) –  Pueblo, COSeptember 19, 2016
Great place to work. Everyone is friendly and makes you feel part of the BigR family. I worked out at the corporate office which had a great culture and atmosphere.
Pros
Flexible with time. If you needed family time they would give time off freely
Cons
Seriously none
Great team
Loss Prevention Officer (Former Employee) –  Farmington, NMMay 17, 2016
I really enjoyed working for this company and the team. I had this job for a little over 3 years and a lot of my experience came from working at Big R. I very much enjoyed what I did and how hard I worked.
good place to work
Clothing Manager (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INFebruary 6, 2016
good place to work except for some coworkers like to start trouble and gossip too much. over all the job was good. The hours are good and the job was not too hard. customers are nice most of the time.
Pros
interacting with people
Cons
unfriendly coworkers
Negative Management but very friendly environment
cashier (Former Employee) –  Warsaw, INSeptember 8, 2015
overall i enjoyed my job, i learned alot about customer service and gained most of my customer service experience from this workplace. Management is very negative to some of the employees . For example they wouldnt allow me to advance at all , pay or position wize. Management has a huge favoritism problem. I overall enjoyed my job though , i tried not to let management affect it. Most of the customers were super nice and i miss my regulars. They were the ones who made the job. I honestly think if a New Store Manager took over that it would be a wonderful place to work.
Pros
good experience, nice customers
Cons
Horrible Management, Low pay
Overall a great place to work.
Department Head of Clothing (Former Employee) –  Cortez, COAugust 3, 2015
This a place that is consistent and has a routine. You basically have the same thing to do most days, it's just a matter of keeping up with getting the merchandise on the floor. The difficult part is trying to balance out the work load with great customer service. There is not enough staff to do both, well. The most enjoyable part of the job is that your co-workers become like your family. The hardest part would be that sometimes there are problems that need to be dealt with on a higher management level, and that they are just ignored instead of solved. Not enough regulation from management when needed, but sometimes over regulated where it's not needed. I learned some clothes folding techniques that I hadn't previously known.
Pros
Consistent work place.
Cons
Rotating days off. Lack of staff within departments.
exciting place with animals in and out all day
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NMMay 15, 2015
Working at Big R was my first retail job. I knew all about the products they sold because I grew up around all of it. I learned how to price check clothing and do inventory on all products in the store. I worked in all different departments there. I learned many traits and got to help people dress themselves in western clothing and also feed their animals from the other department of the store. The people I worked with were young and energetic. We all got along for the most part. the management was the worst. There was only one good manager there and he is still a friend. The other managers were very rude to their employees and never tried to help them to succeed. The hardest part of this job was dealing with the drama between the other workers and management because it was family ran and all the rules would change whenever they wanted and were different with each employee. I enjoyed the customers the most working here. They were always so friendly and excited to see the new things we got in from our truck orders.
Pros
employee discount
Cons
breaks. time off, discrimination
Not much to it...
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COMay 10, 2015
Management is not the best. They care about the store and not about the employees. Wages are not competitive and not very much room for advancement. Co-workers are nice and helpful to others in different departments. It was a fun place to work because of the people I worked with.
A very hard place to work for.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Elkhart,inMarch 31, 2015
Chaotic, no true guidelines. Management and staff are not properly trained. You are expected to know the questions to ask to be able to get the training you need.
Pros
1 hr lunch
Cons
only 10% discounts
lowest paying job ever
door mat (Former Employee) –  Michigan City, INMarch 3, 2015
if you want bare pay, a manager who bashes the company through social media, and to work nights every weekend, well then this is the job for you.
Pros
Cons
everything there
Fast paced friendly customers.
Merchandiser/ Cashier (Former Employee) –  Pekin, ILAugust 15, 2014
I loved my job in general but, some management didn't feel the same way. Criticism was a big factor...
great job, good company
Receiving Lead (Current Employee) –  Moses Lake, WAAugust 17, 2013
Love this job. Always a challenge. I have learned how to manage receiving with great accuracy. I always felt supported by the management and they counted on me for many things. Learning new things is always a little hard, but the best thing is accomplishing and mastering the new skills.
Pros
new challenges
Cons
not great at pay raises as a company
have spent 23 good years here ,but as the economy changes the pay here doesnt.
RECEIVING (Current Employee) –  Tilton, ILDecember 19, 2012
I have worked her for 22 years.Overall it is a good place to work.They work wee around any appointment you would need to leave work for.Or if you need off for family matters.There is not much in the way of benifits and it is usually 6-7 years between raises
Pros
good management, good work enviorment, they work well around your schedules
Cons
rarely give raises, expensive health benefits, never recogzied for good work
Customer service #1
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Crawfordsville, INNovember 6, 2012
Always something new, never the same day, seasonal resets, daily staff training, keeping up on customer service, merchandising sales floor
Pros
family owned
Cons
direction