Big Red Liquors Employee Reviews

Customer service
Sweeping sidewalks
Washing windows
Bagging merchandise
Carried merchandise for some customers
Low pay for long hours and hard work
SALES ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 6, 2017
It's incredibly difficult to make ends meet with this job. With barely being above the minimum wage rate and no room to move within the company, this leaves me feeling like it's a dead end job. Management is unheard of, coworkers leave a lot to be desired, and hard work goes unnoticed.
Cons
Hardly any breaks during shift, low pay, immature management.
Family atmosphere
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJuly 25, 2017
My store was customer focused and the friendliest. The upper management though was a joke. They forgot what was going on in the buildings and managed from a desk up in Indy. Only did the DM's have a clue, but also had to do what they could with what hand-me-down parts they had. The company wasn't interested in improving property, just sales. The building I worked in was falling apart and didn't have a fire alarm system.
Pros
Fun crews, easy work
Cons
Healthcare, hours, working conditions, pay is state minimum, only 15% off non alchohol or tobacco products for every team member, bonus was stripped and reformed into a poor penny pinching system
Employee who was happy for the opportunity when it worked out, and wish it ended better
Cashier (Former Employee) –  IndianaJuly 19, 2017
Could be a good workplace still if they weren't getting so big. They have lost sight of the small town "take care of employees" stance, and everything now comes down to the $$ on the bottom line...
Great atmosphere and good co-workers
Key Holder/Hourly Management (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INJune 24, 2017
In the time I spent with this company I made new friends and learned a lot about the corporate world.I enjoyed the people I worked with but more importantly I enjoyed the people I worked for.
Productive and educational place to work.
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 18, 2017
Starting to work in customer service was a new experience for me. Management was great and taught me all I needed to know. My craft beer and general liquor knowledge expanded during my time here. I was sad to leave such a fun easy to work with team. I'm excited to see what's next.
Nice company
Manager (Former Employee) –  Indpls, INApril 19, 2017
Nice company to work for.
Good place to work at.
A lot of good people work there.
Flexible hours for part time people.
Good benefits.
Fun customers.
Great Work Experience with Big Red
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Terre Haute, INOctober 31, 2016
It was a cool and comfortable environment. The atmosphere was nice and the clientele was polite.The manager was a delight to work with. The other sale associates were easy going too.
Productive and fun!
General Manager (Current Employee) –  Terre Haute, INMay 16, 2016
Love Big Red Liquors. Great place to work and always surrounded by great people. I moved up quickly as Big Red likes to move previous employees up in the company.
Pros
Knowledge of liquor
Cons
Short Breaks
Summary
Beer Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 8, 2016
A typical day for me requires a lot.

First it starts with communication. This includes dealing with sales representatives, upper management, and customers. If you do not communicate well enough with any one of three your days will start to become a series of train wrecks.

Next you must be organized and prepared. Organizing my department by using sales planners and sales data has helped my store to become a highly regarded beer store. I attribute much of this to my personal marketing and sales efforts. Staying prepared and planning ahead will help you to succeed and allow to sell more.

Next you must be educated and knowledgeable. You will NOT be taught anything about the products you are selling. To be the best at my job it required personal dedication to all the products in the store. This meant hours of unpaid studying about styles, regions, and what makes each product "special". Customers won't expect you to know anything but when you do it will cause revelations.

Next you must be an associate. Working in one of these stores requires you to do the bare minimum which is actually quite a lot. This means cleaning and dusting everything that is attached to or is in the store. Being able to count money properly and run a lottery machine is also required. You will be asked to things such as sweeping the parking lot, pull weeds, clean windows inside and out, change a marquee almost daily, vacuum rugs and carpets, make signs of every shape and size, know how to use the software that makes signs, set up and take down tasting events, and about a thousand other things including
  more... inventories on Sundays.

Lastly you must be great in customer service. Having quality customer service separates a good store from a great store.

It pains me to say but management has been largely disorganized during my time. And has gotten worse. The people are mostly great.
Co-workers have been good.

The hardest part of the job for me has been dealing with poor communication and some distasteful words and actions from select few in management.

Despite recent events the company as a whole is good. I truly hope they streamline their communication and fix the managerial issues soon. I really enjoyed my time meeting my customers and expanding my network.
Fun job with minimal pay
Key Holder/Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Brownsburg, INMarch 22, 2016
Helping customers find their spirits of choice and running a cash register are your main duties. My manager was awesome, but others not so much.
Pros
Free alcohol sampling
Cons
Wages so low you cannot pay your bills.
A great place to work and friendly atmosphere!
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  French Lick, INMarch 19, 2016
Serving alcohol is a fun and rewarding job. You learn a lot every day because something new and innovative and starting each and every day. Customers are great and are there to have a good time. Hardest part of the job is keeping the store looking good on busy holidays.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
advancement in certain areas
good clientel realtionships
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 6, 2014
typical day at work included customer service, stocking, receiving shipments, processing daily paperwork
Fine for a part time job
Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INSeptember 11, 2013
The duties of the job itself were great. Lots of training on wine appreciation. The culture of the company was very unpleasant. I was worked 39 hours a week so they were not required to provide benefits. Raises must be fought for. They would rather hire someone at minimum wage than promote. The customer interaction was mostly positive and the vendors were great.
Pros
Flexibility, product knowledge, fun environment
Cons
low paying, dishonest management, hard to get promoted
Poor compensation, high turnover
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, INMay 4, 2013
A typical day for the hourly involves a great deal of physical labor; this is just as much a warehouse job as it is a sales job. No matter your position, hand-selling product is important in this company. You are expected to actively and aggressively approach every customer with suggestive pitches for featured products and sales. Hourlies, you will not receive commission or reward, just a reprimand if you fail to do so. Depending on your rank, you will also spend a fair amount of time troubleshooting the registers and office computers. You must be able to handle cash quickly and accurately, and you must be able to troubleshoot and correct your staff's mistakes. You must intimately acquaint yourself with your inventory, and then order product according to season, major event or holiday, and customer demographic. You must also clean and merchandise your sales floor and build attractive, creative displays.

The expectations, at any level in this company, exceed the compensation considerably. Store managers are reluctant to put forth the amount of time and effort required of them, and often delegate their projects and paperwork to their employees. Conversely, most hourlies are apathetic about the job and make management difficult. Between the delegation and the apathy, unnecessary problems arise in daily business operations.

However, the customers are the hardest part of the job. Every employee who has come from another retail company has been shocked at the customer behavior toward our store employees. Customers bully, verbally abuse, sexually harass, and pontificate about
  more... bizarre subjects. Retail is rough because of customer service, but I have never been more uncomfortable on this many different occasions.

I honestly cannot pick out an enjoyable part of the job. Sometimes we're offered free admission to certain events hosted by the company, but more often than not, volunteer labor at the event is expected in exchange. All employees, including management, are required to work every weekend and major holiday with the exception of Christmas Day. Should adverse weather physically prevent you from opening your store, company leaders expect management to use an accrued vacation day. There is no employee discount on alcohol or tobacco; it is a steady 15% discount across the board on items such as chips, sports drinks, playing cards, two liters, plastic cups, and the like. Sundays are typically wasted sleeping off fatigue from the long, erratic hours. Bi-annually, management will form "teams" and spend Sundays doing inventory for the company, without any extra compensation.
Pros
Free entry to some events, first access to rare or limited products
Cons
Minimum wage/low salary, low quality/no benefits, long and erratic hours, aggressive/dangerous customers, flippant management, apathetic staff