BigCommerce

BigCommerce Employee Reviews

Really gone down hill
Sales (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 6, 2015
Cons: management
It used to be about employees, culture and more importantly, our customers. But in the last 9 months it's really gone down the toilet. Built out a huge team in San Francisco ($$) that has developed big features that haven't proven to be valuable for us or our clients. Lots of excitement around the new San Francisco team and management but it's been all talk.

Not even treating the veterans that built the company (those of us in Austin and Sydney) with the same respect and equal appreciation as San Francisco. Example; free lunches every day in SF. Seems silly to point out but why one group and not everyone? There are many days a lot of us don't have time to leave the office for lunch so we're stuck with cereal.

It's sad how it used to be a fun and rewarding place to work. With the vast turn over it's nowhere near the same company as when I joined.
Reviews are bogus
Technical Support (Current Employee), AustinFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: snacks, great benefits, cool office, nice coworkers
Cons: poor management, unorganized, unfulfilled promises
It's funny how every ad for a tech support position for Bigcommerce says "skateboard while solving client issues".... except you won't ever have time to skateboard. You are treated as a slave, nothing matters but being on the phones. You will work your butt off, and get nothing in return. Management used to be great, but early 2014 was changed to new management which emphasizes the "slave role" you will play. You are nothing but a drone to them, and you are always "replaceable".

If you enjoy working hard and getting nothing in return, bc just might be for you. You will more than likely need to spend 1.5- 2 years in a low end support position before ever even getting considered for a promotion. Then someone else who's been working there for 4 months will get the position (because they were a former co-worker of management at a different place of employment).
Great company going through some growth challenges
FRONTEND DEVELOPER (Current Employee), Austin, TXJuly 16, 2014
For a large company, their environment is outstanding. Great people and they are focused on their clients.
Wonderful people and workplace
Tech Support (Current Employee), Austin, TXMay 27, 2013
Pros: weekly happy hour, free lunch on tuesdays, friendly people
Cons: not a lot of close-by restaurants
I'm not sure where to start. The people are so friendly and helpful here. Whenever I go to the break room (where they have free snacks, drinks, and excellent coffee), someone from another department is introducing themself to me. HR is really nice and will help you out with things if they can. The building is absolutely gorgeous, and it's filled with stuff like swings and skateboards and mini-golf. The walls are covered with murals done by local Austin artists. The energy here is really positive, and it's a great place to work if you really want to be part of a community.
This place rocks!
Acquisition Sales Executive (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2012
Pros: free lunch on tuesday.
Cons: it is a startup so you have to be able to solve problems.
I come into work each day, work hard with people who are awesome, and thank God that I get to do it all again the next day. Plus they give me free drinks!
Changing the World
Director, Client Success (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2012
Pros: brilliant coworkers, strong management, direction, employee-centric
Great environment - the best culture I've encountered in years. The team is on a mission! The management is strong, they care, and they're driven. Coworkers are A-players. The hardest part of the job? Reimagining the world through the eyes of the future of e-commerce. The most enjoyable part of the job? Too many to list. From the Friday all-hands meetings, to the stocked kitchen, and the great coworkers...it's a great place to be.
One of the best decisions of my life!
Small Enough Company, Rather Not Say :) (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2012
Pros: free lunchs, great managment, great healthcare, beer on fridays, stocked fridge, productive - encouraging company meetings, growth opportunities, great product, great clients
Cons: working with people who can not see the awesomeness can be a bummer, luckily its few and far between!
To say I love BigCommerce and the team here is an understatement. I have worked at BigCommerce for sometime. Its been gravy and fun for me. Has there been issues? Sure! Have they been resolved? Yes! Will there be more? Probably! No place is perfect. However, BigCommerce has a wonderful senior and executive management team that continuously strive to make this a GREAT place to work. I give them an A++++. They consistently go above and beyond (at surprising lengths!). However, it just reiterates their goal to be fair and give people opportunity to grow.

Here is what I say to any review, less than a 4. bah humbug :

Good luck finding this environment and level of talent anywhere else! Sit, listen and learn. But, if you don't love it. The person reading this review will. :)
Support Ninja (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2012
Pros: awesome culture! and a lot more
This place is fun and lively. The benefits are top notch. It is going to be difficult if I ever have to leave.
Awesome company
Director, HR & Recruiting (Current Employee), Austin, TXAugust 29, 2012
Pros: great management team, good office environment, free drinks and snacks, awesome product
Cons: it's a start-up, so if you aren't wired to move quickly and adapt, then it's probably not the right place for you
BigCommerce is a rare find. The product is awesome, the people are friendly and truly care about the success of the clients and their co-workers, and the work environment is energizing. Everybody always says that but here it's the real deal.

It's a start-up, so along with that comes the need to be flexible and adapt to change but this company is moving in the right direction. The senior leadership brought on board has done this before and we've all bought into their vision on where we are taking this company.
Great culture, amazing people
Senior Recruiter (Current Employee), AustinAugust 29, 2012
There is a certain positive energy you feel walking into Bigcommerce. People are empowered to do amazing things and it shows. There is a wellness, community service an team building committee all driven by employees not executives or HR. It is awesome to know we are truly changing the lives of our clients, employees and community.
Bigcommerce has a great culture with a nice benefits offering
Recruiter (Current Employee), Austin,TexasAugust 29, 2012
Pros: fantastic people, paid medical, free lunches, snacks galore, celebrations/team building events, transparency, ownership in the company
Cons: stage of growth can mean some disorganization, communication breakdowns when changes implemented, etc.
Overall, Bigcommerce is doing a LOT of things right. This is a company that truly cares about its clients success and the welfare of its employees. We are encouraged to not only voice what would make this a great place to work, but get involved in making that happen. We are very careful about the team members we bring on, and we make a point to hire people who have a great attitude that add to, not subtract from what we call the "Mojo".

We are intrusted with a lot of information, and the employees value the transparency provided by management on key decisions, issues, and potential partnerships. Every Friday, management gives updates on what is going on with their team, then the floor is opened for team members to thank each other ("shout outs" as we call them) for us to thank anyone who really helped us out that week.

Medical (as well as 80% of dental and vision) are paid for in full by the company, as well as 2 life insurance policies, a long and short term disability. I've never felt like I couldn't take a day off when I needed it and we are encouraged to take that time to recharge. In addition, the company just added 2 paid volunteer days to encourage us to make a difference in the community and be a part of initiatives that matter most to each of us.

While we are transitioning out of start up mode, with our stage of growth comes some of those growing pains, learning how to communicate when its 30 people vs 100 people and figuring out how to get the needed processes in place without making it feel overly structured. Sometimes this can cause stress, but the good thing is that we have a "we are all in this together mentality" and most people seem to understand that at the end of the day we want to reach a common goal. Some departments have more clear growth paths than others, so my only complaint would be uncertainty as to a path in certain areas, while others have a lot of options.

About BigCommerce

We’re Bigcommerce, nice to meet you! We’re a hyper-growth company that’s gone from small startup to more than – Read more

BigCommerce Salaries