Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Employer Reviews

Not just a job, an experience
Senior Program Assistant Global Development (Current Employee), Seattle, WAMay 15, 2014
Pros: interesting, brilliant and dynamic co-workers, constant opportunities to learn, incredibly rewarding.
Cons: limited opportunities for advancement.
Working at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will likely be one of the greatest experiences of my life. To be part of such an amazing mission and to contribute to the belief that “All lives have equal value,” has been life changing for me. I have grown both personally and professionally through my work at the foundation and look forward to taking the knowledge and experiences forward in my life and my career.
X
Grantee & Partner Communications (Current Employee), Seattle, WAApril 22, 2014
The foundation is very fast-paced. It can sometimes be hard to get things done. The people are great, however they need to work on management skills.
A non-profit that's more business than family-oriented
Shipping/Receiving Associate (Former Employee), Seattle, WAMarch 18, 2014
Pros: the organization's mission, its benefits, and working with some great people.
Cons: locked into your role, no advancement, poor management, lack of transparency.
The mission you're a part of is excellent as are the benefits. The compensation's a little lower than normally would be expected, but that's normal considering it's a non-profit albeit the world's largest private one.
The culture was once family-oriented, but as the organization's grown, its employees are the ones who feel the growing pains - not management. The worst part is that most don't see the negative effects coming until it's too late.
Management doesn't really tend to support underlings much except for using lip service as a placebo despite a constant theme of asking for feedback - that gets nothing positive done. If the wrong buttons are pushed, the right ones are enacted to punish you for doing your job.
Productive and Great Working Environment
Applications Technician (Current Employee), Seattle, WASeptember 9, 2013
The Foundation is a great place to work overall. The people are friendly and very understanding. It allows you a place to grow your career and learn new things.
Great mission. This is an organization that still needs to grow into itself.
Senior Program Officer (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 15, 2013
Pros: wonderful mission and excellent benefits
Cons: hr processes need work. the managerial strength of the staff is uneven.
The foundation is a wonderful organization in many many ways: inspiring mission, rigorous focus, creative, and many many strong people. In some ways it may be too ambitious. The foundation needs to sharpen HR processes, invest in management, and strengthen internal connections.
A very rewarding place to work knowing you are helping the Gates'cause
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Seattle, WAOctober 27, 2012
Pros: rewarding enviroment
Cons: constant change or editing
I spend 40% of my time creating a process, forms, template and document guide for the Town Square Dailogues(TSD) at the Foundation. The other 40% I coordinated the events with all the team players, lined up the TSD schedule, hold meetings with the event team. Contancted guest speakers' office to coordinate their visit at the foundation, contacted vendor to video record the events and trasncripst. I created the agenda for events step by steps.The other 20% i helped the director with the budget and the department needs. Management make you very accountable for every week of work and your progress and there was excellent communication. For the most part co-workers were helpful. The hardest part of the job was doing the TSD for the Executive because there were many changes until the last minute and the level of perfection was like working for the White House. I learned to be very flexible and open for change. The most enjoyable part of the job was the management and knowing that the reason of your work was for a very good cause.
Passionate people make up for poor management
Grants Assistant (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 18, 2012
I enjoyed working with knowledgeable and dedicated people, but my experiences with management and their lateral structure left much to be desired.
Leading non-profit; disruptive change inside and out; making the impossible, possible.
Project Manager (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 5, 2012
Pros: great mission, really smart people, abundance of resources
Cons: difficult to navigate culture, organizational growing pains, 5 different competing companies, taking a business approach to non-profit world makes partnerships challenging
Disruptive change is difficult at best and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation can be best seen through that lens. Taking on the big problems and issues of the world requires much ideation, testing of those ideas, course corrections and then refocusing on the goal. Imagine then, the disruptive change occurs simultaneously inside and outside the Gates Foundation. That is the world of the Gates Foundation operates within; this is not a place for the faint of heart.

I have found that the pressure on making the right investments and creating the right programs causes us to lose sight of our real customer--the person in the 3rd world that needs the result of our work.

The Gates Foundation is a great place to impact the world and some of the greatest humanitarian challenges. The power of the brand and its influence on philanthropy and the non-profit sector is second to none. Because of the its visibility and transparency, it is a challenging place to work--and the rewards are enormous.
Program Assistant
Program/Legal Assistant (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 18, 2012
Program Assistant /Global - Support program goals and legal assistance to attorneys

About Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

You don't have to be one of the world's richest men or know one to make a difference with your charitable gifts -- but it helps. – Read more

Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Photos