Bimbo Bakeries USA Employee Reviews in United States

Result Oriented
Safety Observation Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lubbock, TXMarch 13, 2016
after signing in. you stretch before starting any activity
you tie in with the previous person on your spot
you organize your work place before you start your duty
the hardest part is that you have to stand on a concrete floor for a long hours. and it can be really long hours
the hours are very fluctuating and the schedule is ever changing
management is good as they strive to do their best(not all the managers but most of them are great)
benefits are good. chances for advancement are slim to some extent cause of the culture and the system that the company performs.
Poor
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COFebruary 27, 2016
This company will work you to the bone and not give one care about how it affects you, your family or your safety. The company is constantly trying to take benefits away from their employees including increases to insurance costs, pay cuts, reduction in PTO time for new hires, and commission reductions. This year, as the union contract is under renewal, they are trying to completely take away employee sick time, increase insurance costs, reduce the amount of commissions new hires can receive and preventing them from receiving full commission until they have been there SIX years! If you want to work to the point of exhaustion, consistently have the company trying to cut your benefits and pay and have absolutely ZERO work life balance, Bimbo Bakeries is for you!
Pros
Can't think of any
Cons
See review comments above. There is nothing good about this company
Good money, poor work environment and management.
Route Sales (Current Employee) –  Denver, COMarch 9, 2016
The job pays very well with good benefits.
Very long hours and no appreciation for what we do. Management fights among themselves. There is no communication, and nothing is ever organized or planned, it is just thrown together haphazardly. There is no consideration for customer service, just how cheaply things can be done. No quality in products or service.

Just complete chaos all of the time.
Pros
Good pay and benefits.
Cons
Poor management, long hours, no family life at all.
Must have thick skin and work independently.
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 29, 2016
Good job if you understand route sales and can work on your own independently. There is very little support and very little hands on management. As long as they do not get complaints from customers via phone,they will not interact with you. Compensation is basically up to you. There is a modest base salary,and the rest of weekly pay is a staggered commission. Every thing depends on your route area and the accounts you have to work with. All is dictated by management. Being union, nothing is by merit or ability. Everything is seniority based from the route you have to when you are allowed a vacation. There are no paid sick days. Your route is your business. If you have to be excused, you will pay in one form or another. Tough start and somewhat tough way of life. Long hours,not so qualified management,responsibilty dodging and working under rules that only apply when a circumstance arrises. I was always told don't call the company or union if there was a situation, just tell one of us and we will take care of it. Usually not the best move.
Pros
home each night
Cons
money, management, support, follow through, payroll, corporate not exactly knowing what goes on at the local level.
Poor work place with lots of favoritism
Production Technician (Former Employee) –  Allentown, PAFebruary 29, 2016
This place is a joke. Communication is poor here, majority of the supervisors don't know how to run the machines but will be the first to YELL over the radio, "Why are lines (1,2 or 3) down, lets go!" The supervisors talk to you like your a piece of garbage. I was told, You'll never find a job paying this good- it's not only about the money it's about the environment & being mostly happy at where your at so this place needs to wake up. Most of my coworkers were nice and helpful. You had some who would want you to fail at your position during "training" just because they didn't want to run another line. It's extremely hot in the plant. In the summer you can except to work 13 days straight. They have water coolers around the plant although in the summer you drink hot water because the coolers never work. Lots of drama. It's like high school in that place. It's a shame I liked what I did and who I worked with on my line. You will never get off a weekend either. Your days off are Mondays and Fridays. The ONLY good thing is the benefits. They are absolutely wonderful. The union sucks big time too! Turn over rate is unbelievable for the pay but that just shows it's not worth it. EX:There was a group of 20 that started a couple of weeks ago and only 2 came back after the 1st day.
Pros
benefits, pay
Cons
short breaks, drama, management knowledge, union-BAD, favoritism, extremely hot, poor training
overall a great place to work
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIJanuary 8, 2016
i work with an outstanding group of people. great hours, benifits and compensation. I learned the benefits of working safely and as a team. the management in my district needed a little bit more managerial training but manageable. i worked about 7 hours a day average. i learned the principles of sales and how to manage a company and product.
good place to work depending on job title
depot loader (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAMarch 6, 2016
bimbo bakeries is a good place to work depending on job title great pay and benefits but hard on the body and home life due to split days off
Pros
great pay and benifits
Cons
split days off hard on body & family life
Hard work, long hours, 7 days a week, great benefits, great pay
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Monroe, NCOctober 5, 2015
BBU was a good place to work. The job was labor intensive and very demanding. I had to get up at 230 in the morning to get to the depot to break down my order and get to my stores. I delivered to seven stores a day and was typicall done by 1130am. You were in charge of what you ordered and delivered to a certain extent, as long as your kept your stale at a pre-agreed percentage. The management was good, until the last few weeks before the company went independent which was to be expected. The pay was really good and you had the chance to make really good money if you wanted to work seven days a week. Dealing with the high demands of the stores you serviced was the most difficult part of the job but if you took care of them it wasn't really an issue. The benefits were fantastic. Our insurance was the best I have ever had as far as from a company. Overall I enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Great pay and benefits
Cons
Work Schedule, and time on the job
Not a family Job
Route Reliever (Former Employee) –  Marble Falls, TXAugust 25, 2015
Typical day of work: Start early like at 2 am and end late around 4pm depending on size of your route. Travel long distances also depending on route size. Have to work everyday of the week, 5 main delivery day with 2 pull days. Co-workers are pretty decent, plus all the different people you meet who work in the stores. The hardest part of the job I would say was staying awake during day due to the long hours. Predicting delivery on product demand every week; it changes every week depending on the location of the store and how much sales are. Sometimes having the deal with rude stock receivers or store managers. The only thing I really enjoyed was the driving and the pay and some of the people I met at some of the stores. Not something I recommend if you want to spend time with your family while balancing work.
Pros
good pay, good travel
Cons
no benefits, no vacations, long hours
have never worked for a company who cared less about their employees
production tech (Current Employee) –  breinigsville paAugust 5, 2015
no weekends off ever, no holidays off ever, they tell you have to pick between family life and work life, horrible uncaring uninvolved supervisors, upper management doesn't acknowledge you are alive, union is a JOKE (local 6), no room for advancement, THEY STOPPED GIVING RAISES!!!!!!!!, personal days have to be picked ONE YEAR in advance, no 401K, very small pension, they don't recognize children sickness, car trouble or winter weather state of emergencies for taking a day off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

very good pay, unlimited OT, great benefits, pension, very easy job, work at your own pace no pressure, great breaks, 2 weeks vacation to start(pick one year in advance and a full week at a time), free bread rolls and whatever else comes in

Want to know more about Bimbo Bakeries USA?

Ask a question
At first it was a great place to work we were a team
Associate (Former Employee) –  Barre vtSeptember 15, 2015
Don't plan on a whole weekend off unless you are a manager. Pay was good for what you had to do but raises were awful. Insurance was great!. Absolutely no room for advancement. Management always put themselves first. The heating system broke last winter in the warehouse and never got fixed until this summer. conditions were unbareable
Pros
2 free products a day when you were working
Cons
Management spends alot of time in the office while you bust your butt...
Low pay, minimal advancement, outdated management
Manager (Current Employee) –  HorshamAugust 3, 2015
Bimbo Bakeries is the $7 billion US division of Grupo BImbo, a +$14 billion Mexican corporation and one of the largest baking industry companies in the world. The company is growing rapidly, but they manage as if it was still a little 1950s company. There are very few new hires in the company, annual raises are minimal,and IT is heavily outsourced, all of which makes it extremely difficult to support the rapid growth (largely due to acquisitions).

If you can get a job here with a decent hourly rate and are content to be a contractor, it's ok, but there is a tremendous lack of leadership and innovation. If you are at the end of your career, this is an ok place to work, but I would not come here if you have ambition and want a career path.
Pros
Company is growing; easy access to HQ site in Horsham from PA Turnpike
Cons
No work from home, no cafeteria, small cubes, indecisive mgmt, skimpy staffing to support growth
Super unorganized, make decent money at the cost of your life and family.
Production Tech (Current Employee) –  Elkhart, INJuly 11, 2015
The bakery I work at (Northern Indiana) is a MESS! The union we recently "voted in" is a joke. So, you have the union hassle but no protection. Also, they lowered our raise amount. Overall for the area, the pay is decent and THE WORK IS EASY! Management is extremely unorganized and inconsistent. Turn over is terrible. You can find out you have to stay 4 extra hours, 30 minutes before the end of your shift. Overtime is shoved down your throat whether you want it or not. Days off could be stripped out from underneath your feet at last minute's notice. A good place to work if you're single with no children and can commit your life to your job. Otherwise, this isn't the place for you.
Pros
decent pay, easy work, cheap insurance
Cons
inconsistent and unorganized, last minute schedule changes, too much overtime
Fun and learning place to work
Wrap techician (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INJanuary 6, 2016
Typical day at Bimbo Bakery would be ... make sure you're in the building in time to get your uniform, which was the white bakery outfit, hair net.... and beard net if a male. so you change your clothes in locker room, put hair net on. go out to break room ,, wait till it was time to punch in, which NOONE, was allowed to punch in till 5:40pm, at that time you would go into the meeting room where the RL(resource leader)from the shift before us and our RL and us woud talk about the day and what all needs done , at 5 till 6, we would head on out to our line. i worked in wrap and i would either go to conveyer belt on where the muffins were coming down to be inspected,, or in back, where all the machines. bagger. splitter, medal dectector, boxer, weights measurements and shippers packers, would be there. at break you would switch front to back or vice versa. if i was training i would have a training packet/folder that i would go over and give them a tour from front to back.
I learned alot from this job. we was always taking classes. and one class i did take was personalities that work together. Very educational. Management was helpful. they would join us in the meetings, give us ideas on how to make our jobs easier.
Hardest part of the job, to me, was learning all the machines, how they worked, how to fix them...
The most enjoyable part of that job was learning the new lines, bread. and starbucks. and the other employees. Ive never worked with so many employees who all would work together.
Pros
Free Muffins or bread, benefits, classes to learn more about your job
Cons
short breaks, 12 hour shifts, not having family time.
Working at bimbo
Environmental Food Safety Team Member (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INSeptember 21, 2015
This was a decent place to work, paid well and offered benefits but while I was employed there I had 3 different bosses. Every time a new one was hired, they changed everything. Most of the employees were nice and the work culture was good. Plus you get free bread and muffins. The shifts are very long. Overall a decent place to work.
Pros
Free bread and english muffins/ decent pay
Cons
long shifts and sub par management
More risk than reward
Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Hazleton, PAJuly 13, 2016
Trying to increase sales in an area with multiple competitors can prove to be very difficult. Company raised the prices of product in the last calendar year which makes it harder to get sales when you have more expensive product. Company helps you very little with price cuts to try to increase sales and build equity and sales within your sales area. Sometimes feels like you are alone in trying to build your sales territory with no support for company management.
Pros
Seeing different things everyday, working partially outside, making your own decisions.
Cons
Income is solely dependent on sales.
A very demanding and stressful job.
Route Reliever (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXJuly 26, 2016
I would arrive at the warehouse around 12:00 a.m. and started to print a product check list to see if everything ordered was not damage. Then I would break the products to separate them to assigned stores for that particular day and load them to my truck. I would drive to stores and prepare a ticket to sell the product and deliver them. Pick-up empty trays and bring them back to Bimbo's warehouse. A very challenging and tiresome job to say the least. You work every day and it does take a toll on your health and well being.
Pros
you get paid.
Cons
You feel like a slave with no sense of accomplishment
Never a slow down period
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Wichita, KSNovember 9, 2015
load the truck
hit larger accounts first
inventory and quality control
worked one one one with managers
built volume by adding displays
cut down on waste by monitoring ordering
Pros
customers, excellent benefits
Cons
early mornings
Face paced work environment
Business Operations Intern (Former Employee) –  Conshohocken, PAJune 27, 2016
• Consistently beat deadlines to provide optimal support to management and department staff
• Reduced company losses by creating Product Launch Tracker for product launches, market expansions, and product transfers
• Performed logistical analysis on products for Private Label and R&I Project Managers
• Alleviated pressure from bakeries by creating a resource to eliminate unnecessary breaks in bakery production
• Consolidated a vast amount of information and correspondence into a cohesive story for a Hardees Bun NPR
Productive workplace where no day is the same
Route Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  bakersfield. caJune 6, 2016
-Hardest part of the job is ordering the product in anticipation of demand for the following weeks
-The most enjoyable part of the job is getting to productively hangout with your co-workers while stocking your work truck for the day
-Management is supportive
-Typical day at work is about 12 hours long and is mostly spent driving and delivering
Pros
Work at your pace, in charge of your route, flexible lunch hours
Cons
Long work days, No back to back days off, Dealing with incompetent/demanding store recievers

2.9