Bimbo Bakeries USA Employee Reviews in United States

Great Place to Work
Quality Analyst II (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMay 11, 2016
There is a lot of opportunities, you just have to be willing to work for it. Everyday is different and it was a fun place to work.
Pros
Great benefits, tuition reimbursement, great hours
very fast paced work ethic
Bun line runner (Former Employee) –  Hastings, NEApril 11, 2016
always running from end of line to docks never seeming to keep up but never falling behind, never boring always had something to do and had to make sure you were on point with your calculations
starting to be very hard to go to work
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Carlisle, PAMay 14, 2015
Benefits good salary good, but new management is trying to change shifts schedules in maintenance to working every weekend.
Stay away!!!!!!!
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  CarlisleOctober 3, 2015
Unless you are desperate and I mean absolutely desperate......like sleeping under a railroad bridge, I would not seek employment at BBU, especially the Carlisle plant. To start the facility is managed like something out of a turn of the century sweatshop. The management has no respect for the union contract, let alone it's employees. Even beyond the union contract management still has no respect for their employees or their famalies. Production forced to work overtime and their days off, forced to work in dangerous and unsanitary conditions. There is a real culture of fear generated in the workforce, if you are injured and report it, you will be given a write up possibly fired. Maintenance department is being forced to work 10 day schedules, or forced to work nonsensical "weekend utility shifts" so good chances are if you hire in the best thing you can hope for after 15 years of employment is that you can move from weekend utility graveyard shift, to weekend utility daylight. Management is abusive of their employees in the way they talk to them and treat them, what kind of place have you heard of that bosses go around farting in employees faces. The union cannot do anything for you because they just don't know how to, and they don't care. If somebody comes in here that cares about the union or knows anything about it they fire him.....only person knew anything about the union they just fired for no reason and also his friend. So stay away.......stay far away
Pros
All the free toilet paper you can use to wipe yourself with
Cons
Great and fair union opportunity work
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dubuque, IAApril 27, 2014
The benefits and pay were fair for the job but at the particular plant I was in, you were overworked quite a bit in the summer, 7 days a week sometimes 12 hour days. Be careful about being promoted to Supervisor or higher as I was, because being compersated for extra hours, gas,etc was near impossible. There were days I would work 15 hours and then get called in on my day off etc Also the particular plant I worked at had a serious upper management problem. (Turnover rate for supervisors there was an unparalleled revolving door!) They definitely had favoritism and bias going on that lead to a discriminatory culture/ behavior which was one of the reasons I got out of there. If it weren't for Production and Plant Manager sloppy mishandling, and blatent discrimination this would have been an excellent plant
Pros
great benefits
Cons
overworked summers
sweat shop
Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Ocvonomowoc WIJanuary 22, 2016
Typical work day consists of hiding from manangement because there are so many they are every where. When you are working the veterans there are usually in the breakroom for hjours on end .
Really hot working enviornment, veterans usually get the easiest jobs while the new people are worked to death until they hate it.
No Training, No Questions, Non-paid work hours, Managers&HR don't care.
Store Clerk (Former Employee) –  Commerce City, COOctober 3, 2012
The work is hard but the pay makes up for it. 11 dollars an hour is great but I was kept part-time so i couldn't get benefits or a set schedule. On top of that my boss told me "you are being thrown to the wolves & im sorry if you dont make it" after working 6 day weeks at less then 25 hours a week for 8 months I was fired when i started complaints abut OSHA violations. IE: working 6+ hours with no break. I asked my district manager why she never addressed the NO break thing and she claimed ignorance. This person was the one authorizing the schedule every week. Upper management and HR were not looking out for the common employee. I was fired after simple mistakes. ALSO, had a hard time trading shifts with another part time coworker; even when it was for a funeral. I had never called in for a single shift.
Pros
good pay
Cons
terrible management & paying union fees that did nothing for me when fired.
One of the best companies to work for
Deduction Special Analyst (Former Employee) –  Fort Worth, TXMay 13, 2014
Monitored more than $4,000,000 per year in marketing deductions, taken for special ads and promotions, to ensure that all claims were legitimate. Coordinated with Sales Account Management to resolve complex billing issues regarding deductions and post audits. Developed and implemented processes and procedures for specific accounts. Post-conversion account clean-up.
Had the best Supervisor ever in my professional career.
Worked with a great team.
Love detail oriented work and this job was extremely detail oriented.
Pros
good benifits, great managers, advancements, close to home.
Cons
laid off due to accounting being relocated.
Good pay and benefits, no family life.
Wrap Operator (Former Employee) –  Harrisburg, PADecember 12, 2014
It paid well and I had good benefits, but the work/life balance was poor. Management was average. Biggest complaint is their was a tendency to allow some workers to slack off and expect good workers to pick of the slack. Overall it was average. If you can handle working a lot and don't have family it is a good job, but if you want more of a life it is not.
Pros
good pay and benefits. laid back enviroment
Cons
no family life
safety first!
Maintenance Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 17, 2016
Safety is the biggest concernt at Bimbo Bakeries. Beginning of each shift we have a safety meeting. Ive gained alot of knowledge .
Excellent learning experience/very family oriented
Administrative Assistant/Payroll Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oconomowoc, WIOctober 19, 2015
Working with Bimbo Bakeries has been a great experience. I have learned many different tasks, such as payroll and human resource work. Also the company has helped me become a better worker and grow to become a stonger and more independent individual. I have many different job duties, helping many different departments, whether it is data entry, setting up meetings, training, preparing presentations using PowerPoint or Excel/Word. Also I am able to work with many different people within the company, such as all the management and associates. I mainly work for the plant manager, assisting to any of his needs. However, I also work with all other management, such as the production manager, food and safety manager, as well as the head plant engineer. What I enjoy most about this job is working with all the different people, being able to help out and interact with certain projects. The only down fall about this job is the location and not having the ablility to advance. Also the work ethic of others is not very positive, many associates do not like their job and have poor attitudes towards their jobs and others.
Pros
Very family oriented/ flexible with schedule
Cons
location
Productive and fun place to work.
Process Technician (Current Employee) –  Rockwall, TXMay 7, 2014
This job is not designed for those with families. You work hard and long hours. I love what I do, but I hate the schedule change. You can never make plans because your schedule is subject to change at any time. The resource leaders are all ok, and I love interacting with my fellow coworkers. The job pays a decent salary, but sometimes I think that the expectations that the company has for us are a bit high. I am good at what I do, but I cannot work on the level of a machine, and sometimes I feel like that's what they want. If you are young and innovative, then this is the job for you. Just keep in mind that this job is no walk in the park. You will work hard, and they do strive for perfection. This is a high level stressful job, but just like any other job " it's what you make of it". It can be the best job in the world for you or the worst but the choice is yours. It can be a great place to work depending on the individual and their goals.
Pros
great pay, good resource leaders, benefits
Cons
hours, schedule change, pto
Repetitive clerk duties
Lead Clerk (Current Employee) –  Comstock Park, MIMay 29, 2014
I check in stock, stock shelves, wait on customers, and do paperwork everyday. I learned in my years here at Bimbo Bakeries how to manage a small business office. I also have honed in my people skills and customer service skills. Most of my coworkers are a joy to work with. I just wish that being acting manager I was able to hire/fire employees. The hardest part of the job is trying to get enough product on the shelves to keep it full. Also dealing with testy customers can be difficult. But at the same time my regular customers are the most enjoyable part of my job. They make it worth it. As do some of my employees.
Pros
3 loaves of free bread a week
Cons
petty raises and mostly work solo
Needs improvement
Route Sale Representative (Current Employee) –  Maryland Heights, MOOctober 28, 2013
It was a well compensated job. However, management lacked good communication channels unless it was to reprimand your actions. My co-workers were good hard workers also. The hardest part was balancing work and my personal life. Since, you would start around 3 or 4 in the morning, it was hard to have adequate family time and adequate sleep to perform well on a day-to-day basis. Management also did not coach well or teach well in certain scenarios. It was a hostile work environment at times. Again, the compensation made it tolerable though.
Pros
compensation and benefits
Cons
poor management, long hours
Horriable Place to work
Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  HorshamSeptember 11, 2014
The hours were not great, you pretty much had to work through the night. Some days were definitely worse than others.
Management is too wishy washy. They don't communicate and they have very selective memory when you do tell them stuff. No advancement unless you are one of the chosen few. I worked with some good managers but when it comes to Higher management I had bitter experience. Unnecessary work, arrogant people and 0 guidance.
They are bad when it comes to compensation.
Great company with an exceptional focus on safety
Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Carlisle, PANovember 5, 2012
People oriented company with outstanding safety culture development by utilizing DuPont's safety program.
Structured approach with high expectation to meet goals of safety, quality and production.
Competative salary for supervisory position.
Union facility with better than average bargaining between management and union reps.
Advancement opportunities within organization.
Pros
outstanding safety program and employee training.
Cons
support staff could be more engaged with daily operations.
Global Company that is the largest Bread/Baked Goods Manufactor
Director - Franchise Operations (Former Employee) –  Covered the entire USASeptember 4, 2015
A good company made up with numerous acquisitions and is currently trying to bring all companies under one software programs. The last acquisition of Sara Lee created a lot of duplicities and is still working to find all of the Synergies.

Truly allows field management the ability of running the business as theirs.

The Go To Market is a combinations of Independent Operators and Company owned Routes covered under Union Contracts.
Bulk Rack Loader
Bulk Rack Loader (Current Employee) –  Chester, VADecember 6, 2013
My main job there is to help manage a depot where 34 independent contractors come nightly to pick up there loads for the day. I help make sure that they have everything they need as far as the product they need to go into there stores. I also make sure they have all of the displays they need and that is where the organization part comes in to play because I have to know where where everything is at all time so that it does not prolong the time they have to be in the depot.
Pros
i can take home all the free product i want. i get paid good and get benefits
Cons
i dont like my hours because i work at night.there is no real advancement opportunities
Aweful place to work
Worker (Current Employee) –  Valdese, NCOctober 15, 2015
Management here is one sided. It is all politics. If your not buddy buddy with the managers, they get you written up. Nothing is consistent. They treat people differently and no one is treated the same. Special privileges.
The Good The Bad and The Ugly
Loader/ Unloader (Current Employee) –  Wichita, KSJanuary 17, 2014
Each day something new, not necessarily bad, but at times a struggle. Hours consistently changing, one day you would work 8 hours, another day you might *have to* work 17 hours. They can't force you to work after a certain time, but there is a chance that they won't have anyone to take over for you. You learn to become a jack of all trades, meaning you'll learn to do a lot of different jobs there. Working here means you'll have to be ok with never seeing friends or family, and regularly finding new pains you didn't know were possible. Majority of employees are on some sort of pain pill regimen whether it be Tylenol or stronger. Vacation time is not always allowed when you want, but when is more convenient for them. Don't get me wrong, this place has excellent benefits and the hourly is amazing. Speaking to co-workers, they have pension and all sorts of other great things in place as well. You just have to be the judge on what your willing to sacrifice.
Pros
pay, benefits, free bread
Cons
breaks every two hours, if lucky. horribly shady management.