Bio-Rad Laboratories

Bio-Rad Laboratories United States Employee Reviews

it's a marketing and engineering driven company.
staff scientist (Current Employee), CAApril 14, 2015
job nature is diverse; best part = working with colleagues from different training backgrounds; could use more inspiration from management; advancement opportunity is scarce.
Very busy work place, but you know what you do helps people's health.
Accounting Associate II (Former Employee), Irvine, CAApril 14, 2015
You can't come in thinking you can set a goal becuase you have no clue as to how things will turn out. My main job is to key invoices for payment, but I also do weekly check runs, Monthly journal entries on month ends, get pulled for archiving documentation, help out when co-workers are out, and serveral other tasks that pop up from time to time. One thing about Management here is that they don't want you to learn just one thing. They try to change things for you so you learn other avenue of accounting which I see a good thing. So if we were to go out on our own we would take this knowlege with us. The tough thing for us right now since the started a sharde servives department for accounting at the Corporate office. We been told our department will be shut down in the beging of July with the start of thier new system they are using. So we will be let go shorly after wards. The best part of the job is the people hands down.
Working culture is conservative
Quality Engineer (Current Employee), Hercules, CAMarch 5, 2015
My working in Bio-Rad is great/bad experience. Since I focus on continuous improvement projects, risk management and building up quality system, I experienced obstacles. Too much politics and people are too used to their current environment. NO body wants to make any change.
Micro-management , Expectation unrealistic, Unsupportive
Senior Credit/Collection Specialist (Current Employee), Hercules, CAMarch 1, 2015
Once owner passed after my 6th year being employed there the company then CHANGED.
Now Corp cut throat, employees are numbers no longer personal family orientated place to work. Used to be voted best place to work in the bay, not now. Very sad as I had a career that I loved to get up and go to work and love the people and business. I never thought I would want to leave.
Best place I have worked in YEARS
Engineering Technician (Current Employee), PleasantonJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: great place to work
Cons: lack of career advancment oportunities
I love my job. They don't let me work as much as I want. I keep asking for more. They value my work, The people I work with smile all the time. No yelling or complaining, just work. If anything I think its a bit competitive. People looking for projects to call their own. The DBC is new, well equipped, the Staff are a group of Brilliant PhD's. every one is approachable and "Human" I feel privileged to work with such a wonderful group of people. I KNOW the science we are doing here will benefit society one day. We continue to solve problems and answer questions everyday. The ONLY problem I have is because I work with a room full of PhD's, advancement is very limited without an Advanced degree and LOTS of experience, but I made my life and I love what I'm doing.
Wonderful work environment with intelligent people
Administrative Assistant III (Former Employee), Benicia, CAJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: given lots of responsibility, position advancement, worked in an overall friendly environment
Cons: sometimes felt not taken seriously due to job title
My time at Bio-Rad was invaluable. Aside to learning many skills on the job, learning to be a better communicator to the multitude of different personalities and mindsets is what stuck out most.

My typical day at work would start with answering emails - following up with different departments regarding shipments (incoming or outgoing), giving progress reports regarding any projects I was personally involved with, etc. I would stock the break rooms with coffee and supplies, act as the front desk receptionist as needed and assist my supervisor or other chemists and scientists in the lab. I would connect (point of contact) with various suppliers and vendors and overall, would always think of new ways to better streamline things that I did (or saw), so I could be more efficient. A highlight to my job is that I rewrote the shipping/receiving SOP (standard operating procedure), which over time, was seen to more efficient, for both the receiving end and people who were delivering. I consciously showed initiative to learn as much about my position, but more importantly, the company as possible. In turn, my supervisor gave me a lot of responsibility. My mindset was, 'How can I be the best me and make the most out of my job?' What I did as a whole, far transcended the normal duties of an Administrative Assistant (my supervisor's words).

The hardest part to my job at times was multi-tasking 5+ things / projects at once. As some things were more time-sensitive than others, I learned how to better delegate my time and communicate with people in a way which made them understand and accept – more... my stance with time and project management.

The most enjoyable part to my job was working with the many different personalities and mindsets of people. From marketing people, to tech support, to other admins and scientists - each thought differently and I made it a point to learn their language (terminology) so I could effectively communicate these variances in information to others in a way which could be understood. This job showed me and allowed me to be a more effective communicator and has given me an invaluable skill which I can utilize for the rest of my life. – less
Hard work but interesting
Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Irvine, CAJanuary 8, 2015
Working in a lab is pretty cool. Interacting with the chemists and watching them perform their experiments was awesome. Cleaning up after them was not so awesome. It's hard work and mopping throughout the day was pretty tedious. The manager in charge of me was clueless as to what she was doing and assigned me to pointless tasks just to keep me busy all day. Very little break time. The most enjoyable part was getting to work in the lab as I majored in biology and loved the lab portions of the major. The co-workers were also good.
Very conservative, non-progressive company
Product Manager (Current Employee), Hercules, CADecember 3, 2014
Pros: flexible hours and people are great!
Cons: hard to advance
There's opportunity to move around to different areas of the company.

Due to the culture, it is difficult to influence change here. The decision-making process and speed to action needs major improvement across the board. People are not empowered to make decisions, which result in projects taking a lot longer to complete.
Dedicated Employees
QA Compliance Specialist (contract) (Current Employee), Irvine, CANovember 12, 2014
Bio-Rad is blessed with employees who are very dedicated to their jobs.
Productive Company
Material Handler (Current Employee), Richmond, CAOctober 23, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is the celebrations and recognition the company rewards its hard workers with from time to time.
Company is behind the times
Field Service Engineer (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 1, 2014
Company does an excellent job with sales of their reagents. Internal databases and software programs are way behind the competition. Bio-Rad is light years behind Siemens in terms of making things flow with technology.

On the positive side, managers are very personal. They have an open door policy and everyone is easy to get along with. Bio-Rad has the nicest employees of any company I have ever worked for.

Co-workers in the Chicago area are excellent. If you are thinking of applying for a job in Chicago, you will be working with a great bunch of employees.
Challenging and dynamic workplace
Office (Former Employee), Hercules, CASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: good location. effort to provide a "family" work environment.
Cons: top management often resistant to change, slow to adopt new technologies and methods.
Environment is dynamic and innovative. People are nice to work with.
This is a good place to work
Chemist III (Current Employee), Irvine, CASeptember 6, 2014
I like this company, I like my coworker. Also I love my schedule ( Monday - Friday. 3PM - 11:30 PM).
just temp work
Production Chemist (Former Employee), Hercules, CASeptember 2, 2014
i was just a temp and didn't have much time to observe the work culture
fast-faced working environment
QA Document Control Specialist II (Temporary) (Current Employee), Hercules, CAAugust 6, 2014
Job responsiblities on documnation process has anadvanced electronic technology.
Solid workplace with friendly coworkers
Business Data Analyst - SAP Implementation (Current Employee), Hercules, CAJuly 24, 2014
I'm just here under a contract, so its hard to get a full lay of the land, but everything seems to be as you'd expect for a larger/more established company like this.
Great for earlier part of your career
Marketing Manager (Current Employee), HerculesJuly 11, 2014
Pros: great people, great experiences, some opportunity for development
Cons: change-averse culture; some divisions are run better than others.
This is a great place to learn the ropes of a biotech company. Lots of great people who offer mentoring and inspiration. However, middle managers can end up getting frustrated by the culture's fear to change and thus innovate. Many good managers leave as a result, but many stay as well because they are patient, or Hercules is just a convenient location for them.
Great company
Engineer I (Current Employee), Hercules, CAJune 24, 2014
It was a great company to work for. I really enjoyed working here.
Even with indicisive managerial decision making, Bio-Rad Clinical Diagnostics is a pleasant place to work.
Manufacturing Engineer III (Former Employee), Hercules, CAApril 18, 2014
Pros: great people to work with, highly ethical culture, satisfactory benefits
Cons: extremely tight with money, management does not make clear decisions, managers second guess one another constantly, due dates for task completion is rarely given
Bio-Rad labs is generally a good place to work. There is a strong culture of getting along and solving issues as hand without blaming one another for the problems.
The campus in Hercules is picturesque and pleasant.
There is a solid culture of continued education. Many seminar courses are offered in-house that can be taken as desired by the employee.
At times the number of projects taking place at one time was overwhelming. Sometimes management is not willing to let some projects take a back seat so that higher priority projects can be successfully completed on time.
Poor Management at Woodinville, WA
Mfg Engr. (Former Employee), Woodinville, WAApril 12, 2014
This company is constantly losing all levels of its manufacturing engineering staff. About a year ago, the Woodinville division of Bio-Rad replaced its entire ME department including its manager. There is a severe leadership problem with this company.

1 2 3

About Bio-Rad Laboratories

Bio-Rad Laboratories makes a most excellent array of research laboratory and medical testing equipment. The company manufactures – Read more

Bio-Rad Laboratories Salaries