Biogen Employee Reviews

Manager (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 23, 2016
Biogen is undergoing some changes. Senior management is being replaced up to and including the CEO, a new company is being spun out of existing products, one manufacturing site is being built while another one is being closed. My job is a manager in the manufacturing facility that is being closed and to be honest, I am surprised at the amount of transparency in the closure process and the amount of services that are being provided. They have excelled in that regard.
Pros
strong culture, excellent benefits, small and intimate work area
Cons
senior management shakeup has left people feeling vulnerable
Sign of the Times
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  rtpJanuary 5, 2017
Biogen was an awesome place to work with a culture of fairness, development and balance. It has suffered like so many others over the years and the culture has suffered along with the benefits. Most of the people are genuinely good, but the hiring culture has also changed where the process does not favor the prepared or experienced. I believe they will learn these lessons and come back strong, but they have a gap to work on for sure.
Bad environment and Favoritism
Manufacturing Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJune 21, 2016
The manufacturing environment was stressful due to the "shift wars". Management did not care about the workload left over from one shift to the next. The schedules were also uneven and recognition was only given to a select few. Performance was evaluated by the amount of projects or meetings an employee participated in and not the actual work performed. Promotions were given to their " favorites". Management was unprofessional bad mouthing other supervisors and managers in front of employees. Bad environment to work in if you are serious about your work. Lack of accountability and various issues that were constantly overlooked. If you weren't part of the "click" you were pushed aside and trampled upon. Experienced employees were not taken seriously while the" favorites" were compensated. Completely opposite of the supposed company values.
Benefits
Cons
Lack of accountability, unprofessional behavior and favoritism.
Fun to work with in Drug Safety
DRUG SAFETY SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MASeptember 7, 2016
Normal typical day would start with intake and triage assessment followed by case processing.
Learned the new ways in signal detection and time frame management in Periodic reportings.
Timeframe management was the toughest part in my work.
RMP's was a part where I enjoyed a lot when compared to my regular routine work.
Pros
Benefits are very attractive and nearly unmatched by other bio companies
Great place that promotes innovatiion and has a friendly atmosphere
Executive Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 15, 2016
Biogen is a results driven, innovative place to work. They are very big on work/life balance and provide great compensation and benefits. There are many opportunities for advancement, depending on your career path.
great place to work for
Patient Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Raleigh, NCAugust 1, 2016
Excellent company to work for. Very considerate about work life balance. This company also offers excellent benefits. This job also offers great opportunity to help people.
Pros
great benefits
Great Company
EA to VP Business Development, Weston (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 26, 2016
Great environment, pay and benefits. It was close to home at the time. Until most of company moved to Weston which is reason I left, I was used to not having a commute and walking a mile to work.

If the company did not move I probably would have stayed there.
Pros
Weekly social hour - summer hours
Cons
not enough staff
Biotech facility
Patient Services (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCMay 6, 2016
Initially company had department to support patients with MS and supported staff in their jobs. Was hired because of background in mental health work and social services. Over the years company's mission changed to a more corporate mentality and then it was all about the numbers, metrics. In the end, company closed patient services department and laid off 40 people.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Department became too interested in metrics and not interested in patient's concerns.
A great environment with great compensation
Associate II (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 12, 2016
I worked at Biogen for 7+ years, it was a great learning and applying the skills.
-Great work environment however the least growth
- It was hard to move around the company
-frequent lay off
- too many contrast positions
Pros
Great company culture, great benefits, great location
Cons
least growth, hard to move internally
Senior Instrumentation III (Former Employee) –  North CarolinaJune 28, 2016
Fantastic culture of caring and dedication. superior infrastructure with excellent systems and training. Many perks and great benefits
Pros
many perks
Cons
Limited pipeline
Good company with good benefits
MBA Intern, Materials Procurement (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJune 2, 2016
Very work-life balance and good benefits.
People show respect to each other a lot.
Managers care about the team as well.
A lot of team building activities going on.
Decent place to work
Patient Data Analyst / Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCMay 27, 2016
I enjoyed the time I had there. Working at Biogen was a good type of culture and management was decent but could be better.
Benefits
Cons
Schedule and Management
dedicated employees that are quite intelligent
Sr. Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAFebruary 11, 2016
I worked for financial institutions my whole working career until I worked for Biogen Idec. I learned many things about science, drug discovery and FDA requirements. I was very impressed at the dedication, work ethic and intelligence of the scientists. Most days were very hectic as I worked for a VP with over 100 scientists in her group and someone always had a question or needed assistance regarding department processes. Days flew by, weeks flew by. It was nice to get up in the morning and enjoy going to work.
Pros
great benefits
Productive and fun workplace
Associate Director, Finance (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMarch 14, 2016
Great company with talented senior management. Good compensation and benefits. Company strives to help patients and has a strong pipeline.
Pros
Comperable compensation and benefits
Cons
Unsuitable work life balance
Great people
Commercial Operations Lead (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCDecember 18, 2015
Worked at Biogen for 15 years with no regrets. Amazing people that were great mentors. Some new senior management lately has been tough, but they are trying to do the right things. Hard to get promoted unless you are in Boston offices. Definitely worked weekends and extra hours but progressive in most respects. Really rewarding place to work, they do care about patients. The CEO George Scangos is a great guy and very sharp, I have met him personally a few times.
Pros
Amazing benefits, great people, care about patients, great facilities
Cons
Hard to get promoted, under competitive pressure
Good Experience, Company Does not Hire Full Time/Long Term Contractors
Study Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 28, 2015
Great company, good learning experience, rewarding work, beware if you are brought on as a Contractor, this company has a culture of "permatemping" (keeping contractors on full time and for years)
Permatemping means the company pays double your salary to your agency and you get paid half, even if the company claims they cannot afford to hire you permanently.
Pros
On the Job Experience, Rewarding Work
Cons
Permatemping and working thru the Holiday Shudown to avoid going without pay
innovative and ever-changing and adapting work environment
Patient Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Research Triangle Park, NCJanuary 24, 2016
I enjoyed the company's competitive pay and great benefits including matching 401K, dental and vision as well as good PTO incentives.
Tough to move around and advance in your career though.
Pros
great new building and great benefits
Cons
micro management; hard to advance
Great Place To Work
Therapy Support Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCNovember 2, 2016
I enjoyed my time at Biogen. The work/life balance was great. The people were fantastic, and, you worked with MS patients which made the job worthwhile. You were helping people.
Pros
Cons
They turned away many excellent job applicants.
Good work environment
Manufacturing Associate III (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 6, 2016
Good work environment , close team atmosphere, they encourage problem solving, and is a very PC and diverse company. they work hard and a leader in the idustry.
Fun and rewarding working with the public
Patient Advocate (Current Employee) –  IowaFebruary 4, 2016
I travel around the Midwest giving speeches about multiple sclerosis and the drug I take to help fight to affects of MS. I get wonderful feedback from audience members which, in turn, helps me in my struggle with the disease.
Pros
Excellent compensation
Cons
Not steady enough

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Biogen. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2