Biola University Employee Reviews

Positive work experience
Peer Academic Advisor (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMarch 27, 2017
Environment fosters growth and professional development -- positive experiences with co-workers. The people working here (co-workers and supervisors) make up the most enjoyable part about working here
Constructive working environments for dedicated student workers
Staff Photographer (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMarch 22, 2017
I worked at The Chimes student newspaper, the Green Art Gallery under the Biola Art Department, and the Biola Athletic Department, and all of these were good working experiences as a student.

My biggest frustration was the low pay that I received under my Chimes position, which is highly strenuous (despite it being excellent experience.) The school does not allow student organizations to report overtime on their timecards, though the students deserve the hours. This was a major source of frustration for the staff in my years at Biola.

The Biola Art Department and Athletic Department are both fun and relaxed to work in. Since the student staff is small, the work environment is friendly and casual while still being productive. My supervisors at each respective department were excellent.
Pros
On-campus, convenient for students, good real world experience
Cons
Low inflexible pay
UCM Department
University Communications & Marketing Photographer (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMarch 8, 2017
Great work experience, enjoyable coworkers. I like this job because it allows me to pick my hours, and it is very flexible to work with my school schedule.
A difficult and rewarding experience
Clinician (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Biola's Speech and Language Clinic allows speech therapy undergraduate students to gain hands on experience providing therapy for the local population.
Student Position
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAFebruary 8, 2017
Flexible hours, great work environment, must be able to work independently. Team of all student workers working to answer the questions of prospective students.
Pros
Works with class schedule
Good student job, however not a lot of room for professional advancement
Library Clerk and Access Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJanuary 16, 2017
-Work is easygoing, and changes depending upon the time of the year.
-Flexible schedule, and it's easy to get shifts covered if you show that you're a reliable worker
-No compensation for school holidays
-No benefits
-No pay raises or opportunities to go higher in the work place
-Lack of work incentives
-Management quality really depends on the department you're working in.
-Co-worker environment changes on a semester basis, but for the most part people are friendly and helpful
Pros
Calm Work Environment, Flexible Schedule
Cons
No Benefits, No Incentives
Solid workplace to work for
Auxiliary Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJanuary 6, 2017
I worked at Biola for 28.5 years. I managed the food service, which was excellent, the Print Shop, The ID card office, and the vending. Biola always makes sure they have the latest computers, software, and the best food service, etc.
Pros
They care about the students, staff and guests
Cons
The building I worked in was toxic and they never figured out why
Great and stable place to work
Community Service Cadet (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJanuary 4, 2017
I worked in Campus Safety and I can say it is a great and stable place to work. The environment is awesome and the people are friendly and helpful. Definitely a great place to work.
Very great place to learn and grow as a student worker
Staff Photographer (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJanuary 2, 2017
Great flexibility in scheduling
Great relatable co-workers
Learned a lot about on site shooting
We got to pick and choose our own assignments
It was supremely fun and we got to go to plenty of events
Pros
Provided own gear
Great and loving environment
Resident Advisor (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CADecember 31, 2016
I worked as an RA, so a typical day at work for me was a typical day.

Some days I would have to work from 8-11pm at the dorm's front desk, and if any situation came up with a student on my floor, I was in charge of taking care of it.
Pros
great place, genuine care
Cons
typically a year term
Great Environment to Work
DMin Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMay 10, 2016
Biola is a great Christian organization to work for. I have thoroughly enjoyed working with my coworkers here and my bosses are very understanding and flexible.
Great supportive work place
Assistant Wedding Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atascadero, CAApril 18, 2016
Biola is a great place to work for and has helped me grow my skills in a fun supportive environment. I would highly recommend working for them.
Productive and fun workplace
House keeper of Facility Management (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAFebruary 25, 2016
I use to work in the library: Prepare tissue, toilet paper, hand soap, etc. Since I always the one who dusted all the bookshelves, I knowed what books our library had and what books we didn't have. Morning staffs had a meeting every morning at 5am in the office: we prayed for our work of that day and assigned each worker. Most workers are from South America and are very nice people. I miss them very much.
Pros
Holiday parties
Cons
Short breaks
Good working environment for Christians, Good supervisors
Physiology Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAJune 27, 2015
My supervisors were very kind and patient in teaching me. They are also very good Christians, which is a plus for those who are seeking Christian work environment
Fun, caring workplace.
Eagle Host (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 28, 2015
My job was mostly left up to me, but the supervisors were very good about keeping me accountable and focused on the tasks. There is a tight bond with the co-workers that extends to outside of the office.
Great Place to be an RA
Resident Assistant (RA) (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 15, 2015
They have got a really great Residence Life program over there at Biola. All of the RDs are amazing. The res life leadership is great. I always felt that I could say anything and voice any concerns I had. They treat there residents really well and they invest a lot in their RAs.
Great work environment because of the people
Adjunct Professor, Department of Modern Languages (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAApril 11, 2015
As an adjunct professor in French I teach one hour Monday through Thursday. I have found my colleagues to be very helpful as I am learning how things are done. I have found my students to be highly motivated to learn to speak French. Typically we review in French and speak in French 80-90% of the time each class. The students come from various backgrounds, which enriches our classroom experience, and they have varying abilities in French. The management (administration) is encouraging and after giving broad guidelines allows us to pursue those guidelines. My co-workers and the office support staff are superb. They are encouraging and helpful. Working with them is always productive. The hardest part of the job is maintaining forward momentum with all of my students without boring the best or losing the slowest. The most enjoyable part of my job is watching a student realize that he or she understands what we are doing in class as we speak French. That happens every day with at least one of my students, so I am enjoying my work very much.
Pros
Constructive and friendly interpersonal relationships at all levels
Cons
Parking is at a premium and never seems to be near where you need to be.
Catering Work Culture and Environment
Controller of BIOLA Newspaper (Former Employee) –  La Mirada, CaliforniaApril 8, 2015
Biola University has less than 6,000 students, which allows the students to meet with the professors weekly or monthly. The professors actually teach the classes compared with Ivy league or top universities where many professors have their assistants teach the class from time to time. It truly was a very valuable experience and education where I had multiple resources available.

I worked and led as a part of the Newspaper staff as a controller for a year and a half where we were well under budget during my time there while implementing new softwares and ideas.
Wonderful Univeristy
Weddings & Events Intern - Present (Current Employee) –  Irvine, CAMarch 26, 2015
Biola University is an outstanding University who offered a very hands on evetn planning internship that allowed me to host a Communication Department Event for the students and faculty of the University. I was emailing staff weekly, managing the schedule of the event and more.
Great for improving leadership skills
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  La Mirada, CAMarch 13, 2015
Jobs include organizing and executing events for Biola University’s Residence Life department. Also, worked on a staff of 8 people that helped in counseling to 65+ of my own residents and others, while also serving the Resident Director.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Biola University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.6