BioLife Plasma Services Employee Reviews

Poor culture created by Senior Leadership Team
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  United StatesSeptember 15, 2017
BioLife has undergone a significant cultural transition over the course of the last 3 years. During that time frame it has been owned by just as many different companies.

Originally there were numerous opportunities for advancement and adequate resources to staff each center according to meeting center metric goals. However, the company has taken a different approach, and placed increased focus on the bottom line. There are now unrealistic expectations concerning the ever upward trending volume goals. Which is accompanied by a diminishing budget for hours.

The increase in revenue that accompanies a positive trend in productivity has caused many facilities to be limited to hiring only a skeleton crew. As such, centers are accompanied by a feeling of constantly being "down by 1 person" in the areas. Not to mention the ramifications of any potential call-ins or vacation requests.

Despite the excellent benefits and extensive training offered at BioLife. It seems the daily stress levels takes a significant toll on the staff. This is exacerbated by the inspection ready state all facilities must maintain, especially when the staff are not paid an adequate wage for such expectations.

It is common to find other entry level positions at local fast food facilities, fuel stations, and call centers with similar or better hourly pay structures. This is not a dig at any of those other professions, but rather acknowledging the contrast with the highly regulated nature of running a plasma facility and the poor accompanying wages that go along with them, relatively speaking.

more...
Sadly, I began my career with this company and was won over. Unfortunately, as I have continued to advance and observed the transitions our company has taken. I find myself feeling defeated by the stories of significantly tenured individuals who discuss "The good ol' days." Along with the inability to better take care of my staff due to restrictions put in my place by senior members of BioLife.
Pros
Extensive training, solid benefits
Cons
Inadequate compensation for the stress, especially for the line staff.
A great company dedicated to its employees
Manager (Current Employee) –  West Des Moines, IASeptember 4, 2017
This is a company that strives regularly to continuously improve the culture at work and meet the needs of its employees. BioLife is an ethical company that values compliance and consistency.
Fun and Fast paced
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Elkhart, INAugust 28, 2017
Very fair wages, excellent benefits, fun environment to work in. Everyone a teamplayer, and room for advancement and growth within the company. Would love to return to Biolife in the future, and would recommend it to anyone who is wanting to start off in the phlebotomy field.
Pretty okay, I guess.
Advanced Sample Preparation Technician (Current Employee) –  Dubuque, IAAugust 22, 2017
It is a pretty good place to work. My biggest problem is the high stress that comes with the job. They are pretty good about getting you advanced through the different areas.
Pros
Good pay with no experience
Cons
Short breaks and stressful during the busy periods
Loved my Coworkers
Senior Sample Processing Technician (Former Employee) –  Bellingham, WAAugust 17, 2017
The most enjoyable thing coming to work is seeing your coworkers, they made the job bearable. The work is fast-paced, there isn't really time to go to the bathroom or have a water break. When you're on the floor, it gets hot from moving around so fast but there isn't really time to hydrate. If you get to work in sample prep, it's pretty relaxing but it's hard to actually get back there. Either you get promoted to go in there or you start training in there first (which is very rare). Be prepared to work hard and fast.
Pros
Great coworkers, benefits
Cons
Short breaks, poor management
Donor Processor/ Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Houma, LAAugust 17, 2017
Great place to work. Always meeting people of different walks of life. It was awesome to see the how the plasma is separated from the blood to be screened to make medicine.
working at biolife
Training Coordinator Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Billings, MTAugust 16, 2017
they care nothing about you as the staff person, they only care about production very fast paced and very undependable regarding what you schedule will be,
Very fast paced but fun place to work
Phlebotomist II (Former Employee) –  Marquette, MIAugust 15, 2017
This place runs so efficiently that it seems like an assembly line. Never a boring or dull moment, physically can be a tiring job. u must be able to stand for large amounts of time.
fast pace and fun
Plasma Care Technican (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIAugust 12, 2017
Very fast pace and fun environment to work. I would recommend anyone to make a career here if interested in healthcare. Friendly and easy going staff.
Awesome place to work
Medical Historian (Former Employee) –  Middletown, OHAugust 12, 2017
I love working here. Great place, great people, great perks! I miss BioLife! I would tell everybody to apply here! I learned souch while working for biolife?
Great place to gain new skills
Advanced Senior Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee) –  Bloomington, INAugust 10, 2017
They allow in-house phlebotomy training which was useful for me aspiring to work as a nurse, who would utilize phlebotomy training. The only downside is the phlebotomy training is not for anywhere other than a biolife. The environment is quick-paced and stressful. Hours are inconsistent and demanding. A lot of micromanagement.
Benefits
Cons
Standing, micromanagement, scheduling
great place to work
Plasma CenterTechnician/ Trainer Medical history (Current Employee) –  Grandville, MIAugust 6, 2017
Biolife is a fast paced company and its growing. a great place for college to start out.

they provide on the job training for any position that you apply for..
Overall a great company to work for
Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee) –  Riverton, UTAugust 4, 2017
It is number one in the industry. They are a wonderful company and I have loved every minute of working for them. I am going to miss working with this company, they are very attentive to the needs of their donors and workers.
Pros
Excellent opportunities for advancement
Cons
no guaranteed breaks
AWESOME company to work for!
Advanced Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee) –  MichiganAugust 2, 2017
I have so many positive things to say about BioLife...for the first time in my life, I have paid vacation, sick time and paid holidays off! Not to mention that we are closed on Sundays so we are guaranteed the day off (which, of course, can't happen in many healthcare settings). Plus, now that Shire owns BioLife, we get longer paid maternity leave!
We get paid 15 minute breaks every shift and a 30 minute unpaid lunch for longer shifts (they're really good about making sure you get breaks/lunches, which also doesn't happen in many other jobs).
The management team here is hands down the BEST I've ever worked for. While they really care about customer service, they also truly care about employee concerns and well-being. My coworkers work well as a team; there are a lot of different personalities, and it's not always easy (as with any job working with others), but it works.
Sometimes competetiveness can get in the way of our work, but I honestly believe it's becauee we're so driven to meet our metrics both personally and collectively. Donors can be really rude occasionally, but most of the time it's for good reason. But honestly, we are so spoiled at BioLife, and I think employees forget how good we have it compared to most places!
Pros
Benefits, Teamwork, Opportunity for Advancement, Recognition for Achievements
Cons
Customer service (sometimes really rude people)
Good and Bad
Sr. Sample Processing Technician,Trainer (Current Employee) –  Joplin, MOAugust 1, 2017
The management is currently pretty shifty, but the co-workers are amazing. Typical day is extremely busy, pretty non-stop and there's never a time when you're not on your feet doing something; this is not a job where you will sit down during the day. You will be busy, so if you need to have something to do at all times this would be for you, but don't expect a lot of praise, appreciation, or pats on the back, as anything extra you do will either go unnoticed or will be noticed but simply seen as "you don't your job." The pay is good for the area, and the benefits are amazing, probably what keeps most of the employees there is the health insurance.
Pros
Great health insurance, benefits from day one, paid time off from days one, high pay, frequent raises
Cons
Inconsistent hours, no advancement to a certain point, management is hard to get a long with, donors are generally rude
Horrible turnover, breaks are awful, management are liers
Senior Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee) –  Douglasville, GAJuly 30, 2017
Mangement at the facility I worked for all had bad attitudes literally would roll their eyes and suck their teeth while asking questions. Also, management is untrustworthy they lie every other word get to know your hr person well.
Lunch breaks are given two hours after clocking in regardless if you have 8 more hours to work, and two after that your 15-minute break is given or not at all.
They have unrealistic processing times.
People quit right and left the motto is anyone can and will be replaced, however, the never replace anyone you just work harder and harder.
Decent step in your career
Medical Historian (Current Employee) –  Middletown, OHJuly 29, 2017
Solid work environment but the hierarchy has room to improve. Great benefits and pto. Flexible scheduling but only mildly family friendly. Job security and company resources are plentiful.
Pros
Free Meals and snacks occasionally
Cons
Employee emotional support system
Fun
Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INJuly 27, 2017
It was a nice place to work and management was good I don't have time to sit here and review all my past employers this should be voluntary not required to proceed.
Friendly and clean atmosphere with advancement opportunities
Phlebotomist (Former Employee) –  Nampa, IDJuly 26, 2017
There is no such thing as a typical day, although you will be doing the same duties it will always be a different experience. As a phlebotomist you will be required to learn proper phlebotomy practices, monitor patients and resolve issues concerning venipuncture and donor reactions.
Pros
Clean and friendly atmosphere
Cons
On your feet all day
Great Part Time Job
Phlebotomist (Current Employee) –  Oshkosh, WIJuly 25, 2017
Biolife was my part time job with school, the pay was great and they were very flexible with my schedule. They have great benefits and PTO. You learn everything on the job, no certifications are needed. You are standing all day, everyday, and the breaks are pretty short. But, if you like to be busy, the time does go by pretty fast!