BioLife Plasma Services

BioLife Plasma Services Employer Reviews

Not recommended
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Janesville, WIJuly 24, 2014
Pros: benefits and three day weekend
Cons: limited break, high turnover rate, overwork, working holidays and mismanaged
Let me start by saying that Biolife is not a clinic/hospital, it is a plasma donation center. They are open six days a week and are only closed on Sunday. The only holidays you have off are Thanksgiving, Xmas and New years. The other holidays are open as schedule ... and chances are a regular full day.

The standard work day for a phlebotomist(s) is to hooked the donors to the plasmapheresis, perform venipuncture and in short, babysit the donors until they're done with their donation. You spent all day on your feet until your break time; however, breaks are very limited. Breaks are given between the first 2 hours of your shift, paid 20 minutes break, seems fair right? No, because this is your ONLY break of the day unless you're working 8 hours then you'll get an 30 minute unpaid lunch.

However, most employees at Biolife are only scheduled to work 7-7 1/2 hours a day, so imagine taking your break the first hour and going the rest of the day without a break. Need to use the bathroom? You'll have to get someone to cover for you. Seems fair again right? No, because the staff are usually shorthanded due to a high turnover rate and when it gets busy, there is no guarantee that someone will cover for you.

At Biolife, you'll work rotating weekends, however, when you're working Saturday—you won't get pay time-and-a-half—because it is your regular work hours and chances are: you are no where near the 40 hour mark to qualify for OT. Which defeats the purpose of working Saturday IMO. But management wants you to believe that Saturday is the day for hours because Monday and Saturday are – more... the only days where most employees get an 8 hour shift. Remember, this is a rotating shift which means: one week, you'll work Monday-Saturday and get one day off in that time frame... the next week you'll work Tuesday-Friday and get a three day weekend.

I personally feel from experience that management doesn't care about the employees at all. They only see you as someone to help get their numbers. As evidence as giving you occurrences for every time you are not at work—even with a legitimate excuse for being absent—their reasoning is "You are on the schedule." In short, you will never feel appreciated for your efforts there.

These are just some of my complaints that I wanted to share, if you feel that this not a deal breaker for you then, go a head and apply. With that being said, my experience there was not pleasant and I will not recommend this job to anyone. – less

July 26, 2014

Edit- I've made a mistake on the schedule. The schedule goes Monday-Friday on one week and the week after is Tuesday-Saturday.

Fast paced and great communication
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Laredo, TXJuly 17, 2014
Pros: crossed trained, montly meetings for improvements
Cons: short breaks
This job was always very fast paced, the flow of the companies donors were always high which kept the employees constantly busy and getting ready for the next one. This company was always making sure their employees were properly trained according to SOP's to be ready and alternate to other departments needing the extra help to keep our flow moving perfectly.
A work place with a very strict rule for beening on time.
Plasma Processor (Former Employee), Mobile, ALJune 25, 2014
Pros: had good benefits
Cons: left a lone at the end of shift to process, reveiew, collect test tubes and close the lab at the end of the day, for at lease 50 to 60 bottles of plasma. .
I would come in and join the other Plasma Processor in reviewing of plasma collections and donor records. Logging and preparing collection tubes.Post test results and storage of plasma as well as preparation of plasma for shipment. Following BioLife and FDA standard operation procedures. The hardest part of the job is beaning left alone before end of close to review and collect test tubes of at lease of 50 to 60 bottles of plasma alone and clean and close the lab. I can't say that I enjoyed the work, but some of the co-workers were nice.
Pros and Cons
Plasma Center Technician, Phlebotomist (Former Employee), IowaJune 22, 2014
Pros: great healthcare benefits
Cons: standing- not to be confused with walking/stretching your legs
Depending what your position is there is a lot of standing in one position. If you are a medical historian you are expected to stay/stand in one position the entire shift minus a 30 minute lunch/15 minute second break. People are interesting to talk to and overall job is not too taxing, besides being required to stand in one spot. If you're a phlebotomist the job is a little better, but there's still no option to sit besides on the two breaks. A big improvement would be to offer standing chairs. Also, for a college graduate the pay is not good, but the ability to advance is attainable.
no chance for advancement
Master Plasma Technician/Lead Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Mankato, MNJune 16, 2014
No chance for advancement large employee turnover. Management does not follow through with things
have made some good friends & love the diversity of the job
Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee), Findlay, OHJune 13, 2014
Pros: we earn freebies like "lunch" for reaching center goals
Cons: can be tedious at times with the medical updates
I love my job as far as the donors go, I feel I have a great repore with them and customer service is my expertise! In 2013 I was honored to received the "customer service award" at our center.
I love the fast paced environment and the cross training to be able to jump from one job to another. Training is ongoing on a daily basis which keeps us updated on the latest.
The hardest part of my job is turning donors away because they aren't eligible to donate that day.
I have incredible coworkers who are always in a great mood! We laugh together, cry together, play together and we are thick like family! Our center manager is awesome in the fact that we do have an open door policy and he makes time for you when you need to talk.
The best place to work
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Fargo, NDJune 2, 2014
Pros: training was a+. co-worker were amazing
Cons: there are none
It was a great work environment. I loved working there it was fun and I got a chance to learn so much about the field and the industry.
Very fast paced
Plasma Center Technician/Receptionist (Former Employee), Mount Pleasant, MIMay 30, 2014
It was great working for Biolife. They are very friendly and understandable towards your needs. Great management team and willing to help in advancement. Work was always very fast paced but friendly.
very productive with an awesome management team
Advanced Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee), Boise, IDMay 17, 2014
quite a busy atmosphere, great teamwork, and the training for the job is phenomenal
As a Plhebomtomist
Senior Technician (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAMay 16, 2014
A typical day at work is always doing everything at my job over and over and over, nothing ever changes

Learned a lot about the plasma and how it works and the different tests we have to send out to keep our donors safe and safe for out patients that need this plasma

Management always making sure we get our lunch breaks and breaks and always making sure we stay to protocol, always very helpful

My co-workers, they are an exciting group, they keep it fun and less frustrating

Hardest part of my job is keeping all the information bottled up in my head and not getting it confused

Most enjoyable part of the job is staying busy to blow by time when its deadly slow, always something to do keep time moving, cause I get to come home to my kids that much faster
Corporate culture did not match culture at center level
Assistant Manager, Center Supervisor, ASPCT, SPCT (Former Employee), Various centersMay 16, 2014
Pros: good corporate culture, great beneifts, ability to get management experience and get feet wet with corporate structure
Cons: poor hours, horrible work-life balance, high turnover, poor job security, poor pay compared to other highly regulated industries
Corporate culture of this company is excellent, however it often does not trickle down to a center level. Some centers exemplify the desired culture, and others are FAR from it. Regional and center level politics were often detrimental to the goals and morale of the center and its employees.

As you move up, less and less work/life balance is encouraged to the point where this job pretty much owns all your time. I was working in the neighborhood of 50-60 hours each week, plus many more at home.

Benefits are excellent, but pay is far below standard for such a highly-regulated, demanding industry.

Turnover is very high within this company. Job security in the hourly positions is very good as long as you follow the rules and regulations. Salaried positions, however, do not see the same job security or disciplinary process.

I have seen even small errors be blown out of proportion as a way to get rid of an employee that the management didn't like. I saw this at least 10 times through my career. Often the salaried employee had no knowledge of shortcomings or opportunity to improve prior to their termination. There seemed to be a lot of hidden agendas. Even historically high-performers aren't safe.

Sadly, the corporation is excellent, but the environment center to center is all over the board.
Operations/Quality Management
Operations Manager (Current Employee), Denton, TXMay 5, 2014
Pros: job security
Cons: hours
• Ensures compliance with all federal, state, local and company-specific rules, regulations, and practices related to quality, to the safety of products, donors, and employees and to the proper performance of day-to-day activities.
• Regional Employee Health and Safety Manager for Texas, Washington and Florida.
• Assists the center manager in identifying and implementing improvements and changes to center processes.
• Manages and develops talent within the center. Participates in the selection of new staff and management within the center. Trains, coaches and mentors staff.
• Fosters teamwork. Works collaboratively with staff, peers, and management to achieve business goals. Communicates continuously and resolves conflicts proactively.
• Provides timely feedback on performance.
• Ensures high levels of customer service and satisfaction. Meets and strives to exceed customer expectations.
• Participates in the correction and prevention of audit findings.
• Participates in the interviewing of center staff and assists in the selection of center staff.
• Participates in the evaluation and review of center staff.
• Prepares routine reports and keeps management apprised of center operations and operational issues.
• Investigate and initiate non conformance reports (NCR’s) and develop proper corrective and preventative actions (CAPA’s).
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
• May participate in the management of projects and new initiatives within the center or across centers.
Productive environment Great learning experience
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Casper, WYApril 2, 2014
Work was great. The people were all energetic and always came with a positive attitude. You got to meet new people everyday. Managers were very knowledgeable. It is a great experience whether you have phlebotomy skills or not. They teach you very well
Working with the elderly
Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee), Grand Rapids, MIMarch 2, 2014
I enjoyed working with the elderly and loved the residents on a personal basis. A typical work day was very busy and fast paced. Learning diets and resident information was a lot to take in on a daily basis, and was also the hardest part of the job, Making sure every resident was receiving what they needed.
Love my job
Center Supervisor (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 21, 2014
Pros: benfits, decent pay, the people
Cons: hours can be hard with kids
I love working here. I don;t mind the hours but some pay not like starting work at 530a some days or staying until 930p other days. Fasted paced.Promote from within.
Job stability
Quality Lead Technician/Supervisor/Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Mounds View, MNFebruary 20, 2014
Great place to work with good people in leadership positions. Lots of room for growth and promotion. Very busy place to work. Must be very detail oriented.
Low morale
Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee), WIFebruary 7, 2014
Pros: two maybe three times a year free lunch. flexible schedule
Cons: poor management. overall low employee morale.
Your promotion depends on who likes you. Pay is minimal for the stress of the job. Work schedule not great if you have a family. You'll work til 8pm to 9:30pm one day (depending on your 'out' number) and expected to be in by 5am the next day. Management is not afraid of reprimanding you in front of other employees and customers. You get one fifteen minute break for a 7.5 hour shift and you have to take it when they tell you to take it...it could be 2 hours into your shift or it could be 7 hours into your shift. There is no sitting on the job except for at break time. Employee's have their own little 'cliques'. Overall if you're looking for flexibility in a work schedule, they do work with you as best they can. If management schedules you for a shift that doesn't work for you, chances are another employee would be willing to trade a shift.
donors come first, always! quality is a must
Advanced Senior Plasma Technician (Current Employee), Mount Pleasant, MIFebruary 4, 2014
.great company to work for. do your job in a professional way. meet nice people along the way!
ok
Phlebotomist (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAFebruary 2, 2014
co-workers are great! Donors are great! Management seems to care more about numbers than quality of staff. High turnover rate.
Good job
Phlebotomist (Former Employee), Muncie, INFebruary 1, 2014
Pros: pay, benefits, time off/vacation, no sundays
Cons: saturdays were longs days
One of the best jobs I have had and a a great company to work for. I liked the people I worked with and I liked that the management was trained to work in all areas of the facility. The Center manager and the two assistant managers worked their way up from the bottom. I made friends at this job that I still keep in contact with. I also really enjoyed my time with the donors. I would go back to work here if the opportunity presented itself.

BioLife Plasma Services Salaries