Birch Family Services

Birch Family Services Employee Reviews

Company needs improvement
Staff (Former Employee), NYJuly 9, 2015
Management should give more training verse just throwing staff under the bus. Did not like working there. Hopefully they will one day get it together.
Birch
AO Staff (Former Employee), New York, NYMay 13, 2015
Pros: Schedule
Cons: management, job security, high case load, no bonus, no raise, no room for growth
Management is awful here as well as job security. Working with individuals is rewarding but there is nothing else about the position that is so. Upper management care only about business and do not value the employees. They do not go out of their way to learn the ins and outs of programs and only involve themselves when numbers aren't being met. They are also so uninvolved that expectations are high and incredibly unreasonable. High case load, limited time. Very obvious, heavy favoritism within direct management which is discouraging to other staff working just as hard. Direct management is not involved enough to be able to hold staff accountable for anything. Many people have retired or quit over the last year. Stay away.
workplace
direct support rfessiona (Current Employee), New York, NYMay 8, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: unprofessional
don't really care for this job that much. its very unprofessional. job is not secure and you can be suspended a any given time
Care
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 10, 2015
Pros: Challenging
Cons: N/A
To ensure the safety of all individuals that are in my care. To make sure all are in a safe clean and hospitable environment, to help with showering and feedings
GREAT PLACE TO WORK
Administration Assistant (Current Employee), New York, NYMarch 18, 2015
I WORK AMONG JOB COACHES THAT FIND EMPLOYMENT FOR AUTISTIC ADULTS ON THE SPECTRUM. WE ALSO WORK WITH DAY HABILITATION INDIVIDUALS ALSO.
Decent place to work.
Assistant Payroll Manager (Current Employee), New York, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Being in the payroll setting, there is not typical day. Calls and questions vary from day to day. The atmosphere is relaxed and management and co-workers are friendly, one of the best group of people of worked with. The best part is the mission behind the organization. Assisting those that have autism or other developmental disabilities is rewarding in itself.
Meeting people from various background and cultures
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee), Bronx, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Working the front desk and meeting families from different background was one of the highlights. Good co-workers. Holidays were the best.
great enviornment
Administrative Intern (Former Employee), New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
Pros: 1 hour lunch break
Cons: internship
work was great everyday , I learned most of the skills I have today such as Microsoft word ,excel ,PowerPoint,filing , scanning, created e-files, and data entry.my manager was pretty awesome he was very helpful in many ways.my co-workers were pretty nice they were very resourceful in difficult times.The hardest part of my job was leaving because I really enjoyed working with them as well as meeting amazing people. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning the skills I have today to hopefully provide to your company.
Productive and great enviorment with alot of room for growth
Direct Care Worker (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYAugust 11, 2014
Great overall place to gain experince and develop a love for helping people that are under privliged
Fostering indepence for all
Nurse Administrator (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 22, 2014
Pros: fulfilling
Cons: time restraints
Fulfilling environment, great place to work. with modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Compassionate. Driven. Birch provides an environment where you're empowered to be your best. They believe the most important goal is the opportunity to do your life's best work to enrich the lives of the individuals we serve.
I am enjoying working here.
Teaching Assistant, (Current Employee), Long Island City, NYMay 27, 2014
I greatly enjoy to working with children.Working with children with special needs is very difficult, but when I see progress, that makes me happy. We have many activities like: morning circle, computer time, gym, playground, library, math and social studies. My coworkers and I try to teach children how to play with other peers, how to communicate with us and to get the best results we need to cooperate with each other and work as a team. The most enjoyable part is when children participate and when you can see them smiling.
Try avoiding this place
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee), Far Rockaway, NYOctober 31, 2013
Pros: if you suck up they'll give you all the hours possible
Cons: unprofessional, unethical, incompetent management
Birch Family Services is the most unprofessional place to work for. They feel just because you are there that you have no other options and that you must put up with their BS. I'm a college student with a 10 year history in another field making far more money and came here because I figured it be more flexible to my school schedule and less demanding. Big mistake. I would have been better taking student loans and keeping my sanity!
Great company to work for
Mental Hygiene Worker (Former Employee), Queens, NYOctober 31, 2013
Pros: exciting place
Cons: low pay and twice monthly
The house I was in was exciting it was always something new to do every day. Management was the best co workers was lovely individuals was Dearing
Making sure the consumers live a healthy productive life.
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee), New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
A typical day a work is helping the consumers out with their daily living skills and working on their goals. I learned a lot over the few years I been at Birch such as approaching things in a better matter, having patience, values, culture etc. I have the best manager in the world she keeps everything running smoothly. My co-workers are kind good people, loving, caring and responsible. The hardest part of the job is when a consumer shows a bad behavior but besides that its great because I am always able to redirect them. The most exciting part of the job is seeing the guys smile, when their happy, when they reach and succeed certain goals.
Very fruitful experience with a lot to learn
Teacher Assistant (Former Employee), Springfield Gardens, NYAugust 12, 2013
The management at Birch is good and the staff is very welcoming of new recruits. The priority at this school is the kids and the teachers in conjunction with the teacher assistants and other staff work very hard in order to improve the quality of the kids' education. The teachers and teacher assistants I worked with were patient and willing to explain how to perform the tasks efficiently for the benefit and more importantly, the safety of the children.

I learned quite a lot of things from this work experience. Working with children aged 3-5, I learned to have patience. I also learned teamwork - working effectively in accordance with the teacher - as it is one of the most important things. Another thing is I learned is timing which is significant anywhere. By timing, I mean when to positively reinforce a child's behavior as opposed to when to discipline the child in order to improve the cognitive and social behavior of the child. This was the hardest part of the job because the timing was different for each and every child and it was a challenge to apply it effectively.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the children happy as that brought a smile to my face. The playground time was especially enjoyable and educational because I could see the children in their natural element and their true self was revealed.
enjoyed working with mentally challenged individuals
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee), far rockawayMay 8, 2013
most days work never felt like work because i loved the individuals i avocated for.
WORKING WITH COMMUNITY HEALTH/ MRDD CONSUMRES
RN (Former Employee), Queens, NYMay 5, 2013
Pros: flexible hours of work
HOW TO DEAL WITH EMERGENCIES
I LIKE ALL THE ESTABLISHMENTS BUT VIGROUS CHENGES
AND ALSO AS THE TIME GOES YOUR PERSONAL RQUIREMENTS CHANGED
great starter job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), RiverdaleFebruary 21, 2013
Pros: hours
Cons: benefits, employee moral, lunch breaks, salary, administration
Good company but managerial skills not the greatest. Work hard for little pay. Micro-managing brings down employee moral. Should appreciate employees more and give raises with better benefits.
Interesting
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee), Brooklyn, NYNovember 2, 2012
Pros: working with the individuals
Cons: staffing
Good place to start a career working with the developmentally disabled population. I learned how to engage with the individuals. The co-workers are great to work with, but management appeared to lack in employee relation skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the individuals.
Fun Working place, Safe Environment.
Teacher's Assistant (Current Employee), 544 Fort Washington aveSeptember 8, 2012
Pros: lunch breaks
Cons: benefits
A typical Day working for Birch is prepare all the assignment the day before after the students leave school, Hand them out in the begining of the school day. Prepare Breakfest, assist students to the Bathroom.
Industry