Birch Family Services

Birch Family Services Employee Reviews in United States

Former Management
Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJune 26, 2016
Management peers were very unprofessional. No matter how much you try to do things accordingly it felt like one was out of the loop. Companies very unorganized and you never know when you'll be suspended or out of a job. Not worth working for this company
Pros
Working with the individuals and watching them achieve their goals
Cons
Company and management very unprofessional. Not worth your time.
work with your schedule
Direct Support Professional (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 13, 2015
It is a ok company to start from it you need the experiences in the field for the first time. They provide you with all the training you need to start off in the companies they send you to,
Fun place but unorganised
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYSeptember 18, 2015
I enjoyed working there but management was very unorganised. I had so much fun working with people with disabilities and mentally challenged. It was a great experience.
Great Place
Direct Support Professional (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 27, 2015
I love working here...this organization is all about caring for others and hiring those that are willing and passionate about advocating for those who are unable to do so for themselves.
Birch
AO Staff (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMay 13, 2015
Management is awful here as well as job security. Working with individuals is rewarding but there is nothing else about the position that is so. Upper management care only about business and do not value the employees. They do not go out of their way to learn the ins and outs of programs and only involve themselves when numbers aren't being met. They are also so uninvolved that expectations are high and incredibly unreasonable. High case load, limited time. Very obvious, heavy favoritism within direct management which is discouraging to other staff working just as hard. Direct management is not involved enough to be able to hold staff accountable for anything. Many people have retired or quit over the last year. Stay away.
Pros
Schedule
Cons
management, job security, high case load, no bonus, no raise, no room for growth
Decent place to work.
Assistant Payroll Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 19, 2015
Being in the payroll setting, there is not typical day. Calls and questions vary from day to day. The atmosphere is relaxed and management and co-workers are friendly, one of the best group of people of worked with. The best part is the mission behind the organization. Assisting those that have autism or other developmental disabilities is rewarding in itself.
Company needs improvement
Staff (Former Employee) –  NYJuly 9, 2015
Management should give more training verse just throwing staff under the bus. Did not like working there. Hopefully they will one day get it together.
great enviornment
Administrative Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYOctober 9, 2014
work was great everyday , I learned most of the skills I have today such as Microsoft word ,excel ,PowerPoint,filing , scanning, created e-files, and data entry.my manager was pretty awesome he was very helpful in many ways.my co-workers were pretty nice they were very resourceful in difficult times.The hardest part of my job was leaving because I really enjoyed working with them as well as meeting amazing people. The most enjoyable part of my job was learning the skills I have today to hopefully provide to your company.
Pros
1 hour lunch break
Cons
internship
workplace
direct support rfessiona (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMay 8, 2015
don't really care for this job that much. its very unprofessional. job is not secure and you can be suspended a any given time
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
unprofessional
Fostering indepence for all
Nurse Administrator (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 22, 2014
Fulfilling environment, great place to work. with modest goals: Improve the lives of others. Change the landscape of health care forever. Leave the world a better place than we found it. Compassionate. Driven. Birch provides an environment where you're empowered to be your best. They believe the most important goal is the opportunity to do your life's best work to enrich the lives of the individuals we serve.
Pros
fulfilling
Cons
time restraints
Care
Direct Care Counselor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYApril 10, 2015
To ensure the safety of all individuals that are in my care. To make sure all are in a safe clean and hospitable environment, to help with showering and feedings
Pros
Challenging
Cons
N/A
I am enjoying working here.
Teaching Assistant, (Current Employee) –  Long Island City, NYMay 27, 2014
I greatly enjoy to working with children.Working with children with special needs is very difficult, but when I see progress, that makes me happy. We have many activities like: morning circle, computer time, gym, playground, library, math and social studies. My coworkers and I try to teach children how to play with other peers, how to communicate with us and to get the best results we need to cooperate with each other and work as a team. The most enjoyable part is when children participate and when you can see them smiling.
Try avoiding this place
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Far Rockaway, NYOctober 31, 2013
Birch Family Services is the most unprofessional place to work for. They feel just because you are there that you have no other options and that you must put up with their BS. I'm a college student with a 10 year history in another field making far more money and came here because I figured it be more flexible to my school schedule and less demanding. Big mistake. I would have been better taking student loans and keeping my sanity!
Pros
if you suck up they'll give you all the hours possible
Cons
unprofessional, unethical, incompetent management
Making sure the consumers live a healthy productive life.
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 17, 2013
A typical day a work is helping the consumers out with their daily living skills and working on their goals. I learned a lot over the few years I been at Birch such as approaching things in a better matter, having patience, values, culture etc. I have the best manager in the world she keeps everything running smoothly. My co-workers are kind good people, loving, caring and responsible. The hardest part of the job is when a consumer shows a bad behavior but besides that its great because I am always able to redirect them. The most exciting part of the job is seeing the guys smile, when their happy, when they reach and succeed certain goals.
Meeting people from various background and cultures
Front Desk Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Bronx, NYFebruary 18, 2015
Working the front desk and meeting families from different background was one of the highlights. Good co-workers. Holidays were the best.
Administration Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 18, 2015
I work among job coaches that find employment for autistic adults on the spectrum. We also work with day habilitation individuals also.
Interesting
Direct Care Counselor (Current Employee) –  Brooklyn, NYNovember 2, 2012
Good place to start a career working with the developmentally disabled population. I learned how to engage with the individuals. The co-workers are great to work with, but management appeared to lack in employee relation skills. The most enjoyable part of the job was interacting with the individuals.
Pros
working with the individuals
Cons
staffing
Working with community health/ mrdd consumres
RN (Former Employee) –  Queens, NYMay 5, 2013
How to deal with emergencies
How to manage & organise documents +documentations very important
90% With good professional relation ship
Critics
When you accomplish some thing
I like all the establishments but vigrous chenges
And also as the time goes your personal rquirements changed
Pros
flexible hours of work
wonderful experiences
substitute teachers assistant/lunch floater (Former Employee) –  NYSeptember 5, 2012
This is a great company to receive a start in a wondeful work environment. The staff has great personalities and i like that the staff were of different cultures. Professional environment guaranteed.
Pros
very good for experience with working with chiodren of all types
Cons
no benefits for parttime
great starter job
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  RiverdaleFebruary 21, 2013
Good company but managerial skills not the greatest. Work hard for little pay. Micro-managing brings down employee moral. Should appreciate employees more and give raises with better benefits.
Pros
hours
Cons
benefits, employee moral, lunch breaks, salary, administration