Birmingham Zoo

Birmingham Zoo Employer Reviews

Fun experience
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 10, 2014
Pros: animals
Cons: short breaks.
I was able to see the animals everyday and thats was a huge plus for me.
I learned a lot and everyone was very friendly and willing to teach
Summer Intern (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 20, 2013
I learned a lot and everyone was very friendly and willing to teach
Bad working enviroment
operations (Former Employee), birmingham, alNovember 15, 2013
I had high hopes for the working at the Birmingham Zoo but they were quickly dashed by a horrible working environment and a management team that is shameful. Honestly of all my positions in my career I have never been treated this way.
Do Not Work For The Birmingham Zoo
Zoo Keeper (Current Employee), Birmingham, ALNovember 13, 2013
Pros: large funding base, number one attraction in the state of alabama
Cons: read attached
Most of the reviews that you see online are from "Work Study" or from Paid Volunteer positions.

The Birmingham Zoo is a terrible place to work for Professionals seeking advancement.

Termination for employees is common at the end of the probationary period, and Human resources doesn't have a neutral point of view regarding arbitrating professional – more... conduct.

Extreme amount of in-fighting amongst the staff. Leadership from the Top Down is ineffectual. Accountability for subordinates behavior and laziness is intolerable. If you are looking for supervisory role where you can shine or an opportunity to work in this field... You can find much better opportunities elsewhere.

If you decide to roll the dice and work there. Don't make any permanent or sacrificial life decisions because you will most likely not make it a year. HR has no active helpful role in resolving any issue.. meaning there is no protection from incompetent leadership. – less
The learning zoo
Lead Predator Keeper (Former Employee), birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2013
This is where I found my passion for exotics. This was an outdated zoo when I started, but moving forward at a fast pace.
best job ever
Visitor Services (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 2, 2013
Pros: half off lunches
Cons: the job was great no cons, except the weather
best job ever wished i still worked there. love the animals and the co workers. hardest part was defeating the heat. other than that loved it.
Fun work place very family friendly
African Hoofstock and Pachyderm Internship (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALAugust 19, 2012
Pros: working closely with amazing animals, discounts to other zoos
Cons: hard labor in the heat or cold all day
I did an internship here which is basically like having a job but being unpaid. It was a lot of hard work but I have learned things that I would never learn anywhere else and I am so fortunate that I received the experience.
Helping zoo camp teachers, ticket booth workers, and zoo shop. I became a part of the zoo when I was the Division of Youth Services FOX6 Jobs for Kids
Teachers Aid and Sales Associate (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJune 25, 2012
Even though I can't get a clear memory, I believe a typical day before I worked in the ticket booth and zoo shop was to help the teachers and volunteers teach about animals in the zoo. Then, we would go around the zoo, teaching and looking at different animals. The kids would play at the play ground. Later, we eat, talk about what we learned and saw, – more... and then head home. I learned about the different animals of the zoo. The management and my co-workers were fantastic. The most enjoyable part was learning. – less