Birmingham Zoo Employee Reviews

Volunteering here was a great experience.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 11, 2016
When I volunteered with the Birmingham zoo, the employers were helpful and gave me duties which I was able to complete with ease and little aide.
fun and relaxing
tour guide (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 4, 2016
1. A typical day at work for me is surrounded by the noise of joyful kids and the beauty of nature and being around different animals.
2. I learned how to care for other animals and learn more about there habitat.
3. I work well with everybody, i kept my job professional and got along with everybody.
4. My co-workers were nice,respectful,and fun to hang around.
5.The hardest part of the job was speaking in public.
6. The most enjoyable part of the job was being surrounded by kids and helping them learn about different animals and there habitat.
Pros
75% off lunch
Cons
30 minute brake
carlos taylor
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALApril 4, 2016
Birmingham zoo setup thing in clean up the room in walk around good listed in a hard work just put me to work in like to be on time
Fun workplace
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJanuary 13, 2016
I learned a lot about myself and what I could do at the zoo as a volunteer. It was very fun to be able to have the chance to meet the people I've met. I also learned more about working as that was my first place of employment (volunteer or non-volunteer)
Do Not Work For The Birmingham Zoo
Zoo Keeper (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 13, 2013
Most of the reviews that you see online are from "Work Study" or from Paid Volunteer positions.

The Birmingham Zoo is a terrible place to work for Professionals seeking advancement.

Termination for employees is common at the end of the probationary period, and Human resources doesn't have a neutral point of view regarding arbitrating professional conduct.

Extreme amount of in-fighting amongst the staff. Leadership from the Top Down is ineffectual. Accountability for subordinates behavior and laziness is intolerable. If you are looking for supervisory role where you can shine or an opportunity to work in this field... You can find much better opportunities elsewhere.

If you decide to roll the dice and work there. Don't make any permanent or sacrificial life decisions because you will most likely not make it a year. HR has no active helpful role in resolving any issue.. meaning there is no protection from incompetent leadership.
Pros
Large Funding Base, Number One Attraction In The State Of Alabama
Cons
Read Attached
Helping zoo camp teachers, ticket booth workers, and zoo shop. I became a part of the zoo when I was the Division of Youth Services FOX6 Jobs for Kids
Teachers Aid and Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 25, 2012
Even though I can't get a clear memory, I believe a typical day before I worked in the ticket booth and zoo shop was to help the teachers and volunteers teach about animals in the zoo. Then, we would go around the zoo, teaching and looking at different animals. The kids would play at the play ground. Later, we eat, talk about what we learned and saw, and then head home. I learned about the different animals of the zoo. The management and my co-workers were fantastic. The most enjoyable part was learning.
A fun and humbling experience
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, ALNovember 10, 2015
It was very enjoyable volunteering at the Birmingham Zoo this fall. Being able to assist in making happy memories for children in a positive environment was a reward within itself, aside from gaining work experience.
Bad working enviroment
operations (Former Employee) –  birmingham, alNovember 15, 2013
I had high hopes for the working at the Birmingham Zoo but they were quickly dashed by a horrible working environment and a management team that is shameful. Honestly of all my positions in my career I have never been treated this way.
Fun work place very family friendly
African Hoofstock and Pachyderm Internship (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 19, 2012
I did an internship here which is basically like having a job but being unpaid. It was a lot of hard work but I have learned things that I would never learn anywhere else and I am so fortunate that I received the experience.
Pros
working closely with amazing animals, discounts to other zoos
Cons
hard labor in the heat or cold all day
best job ever
Visitor Services (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALMay 2, 2013
best job ever wished i still worked there. love the animals and the co workers. hardest part was defeating the heat. other than that loved it.
Pros
half off lunches
Cons
the job was great no cons, except the weather
great volunteer oprotunity for middle and high school students.
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Birmignham, alJuly 21, 2014
this was an opportunity for me to learn a lot of responsibility and hard work during my high school experience.
Fun experience
Seasonal Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALJune 10, 2014
I was able to see the animals everyday and thats was a huge plus for me.
Pros
Animals
Cons
short breaks.
The learning zoo
Lead Predator Keeper (Former Employee) –  birmingham, ALJuly 11, 2013
This is where I found my passion for exotics. This was an outdated zoo when I started, but moving forward at a fast pace.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Birmingham Zoo. Our community is ready to answer.

Birmingham Zoo Reviews by Location