BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Employee Reviews in United States

Awesome work environment
Lead Bartender (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAAugust 24, 2016
Nothing bad about the place, I stood with the company for over 4 years! Only left for personal reasons, but the cliental was one of the main reason I stood for so long! And my co-workers!
Pros
comfortability and freedom
Cons
short breaks if any and management occasionaly
Upbeat, fun, and knowledgable place to be at all times
Trainer/Server (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 22, 2016
Everyday I meet someone new, see old guest, and make new relationships! My favorite part of this job is pleasing people and creating many relationships that would not have been possible outside of my work place. I have definitely learned working here that there are many different types of people in the world with different personalities and I must accommodate and adapt to their needs. My co-workers are awesome! everyone of us are friends and get together outside of work! We are a team, but more than that we are a family. The hardest part of my job would be not being able to defend myself when a guest has spoken wrongly of me - "the guest is always right." On the flip side, my favorite part about being a team member here is the work that each and every one of us puts into this restaurant to make it run day in and day out.
Pros
A lot of money in a short amount of time.
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, only part time.
fun and professional place to work!
Server (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAAugust 19, 2016
I love working with people and especially the company I work for! good food, people, environment and music! The thing that I find most interesting about this company is that we brew our own beer! Not many restaurants can say that and I happen to work for one!
Fun Place to Work
Server (Current Employee) –  Fairlawn, OhioAugust 19, 2016
Overall I love what I do. Management is great and understanding. The staff works well together. Everyone seems to get along. Like one big family
Pros
Free Food for non tipped team members except Take Out, Flexible Hours, Great Management
Cons
Area where we work, guests can be challenging. Complaining and wanting free items
Soul Sucking Terror
Server (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLAugust 18, 2016
Location was understaffed on busy days and overstaffed on dead day. Equipment such as silverware was so poor that the whole restaurant could not be sat at one time. product ordering was so poor that on a weekly basis there were outages for multiple days of such staples as chicken, pizza dough in a location that is know for pizzas, several of the house beers, The kitchen also consistently produced sub-par food that would be sent back on a table by table basis to an extent that whole checks would be comped and tips would suffer greatly.
Pros
very easy and almost too relaxed work envorinment
Cons
Poor management control resulting in what can only be described as failing location
Great room for advancement
Server/Hostess (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVAugust 18, 2016
Through my experience at BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse I was hired as a hostess and have grown in various positions. BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse is a great place to continue learning different positions. I have become a hostess, take-out, food-runner, server, and bookkeeper.
Pros
Free meal for non-tipped positions
Great staff with the management being the main problem
Server/Bartender and Manager (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 17, 2016
Back of house and front of house staff are very friendly, the problem with the company is that the direction the company is going. It is becoming more corporate, with less emphasis on the employees.
Bj's Brewhouse employment
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAAugust 15, 2016
It is a very fast paced work environment, with many challenges. On any given day, due to call outs or lack of product, we have to overcome obstacles with teamwork and patience. We have a high turn out right, due to the many requirements each employee must meet. It is a non stop environment and there is no breaks during a shift. From clocking in until clocking out it is work every second. The managers care enough to show, but in all honesty are too busy trying to keep the place running to put much effort into the people. So every promotion and new station I mastered, I had to learn by my self without training. That kind of work experience has helped me become a leader, determined, and a proud over achiever.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
Management when it's given up
Its is a good work place
Hostess (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXAugust 12, 2016
Mangers are good at managing. They get things done. People are there to work and do there job. If you just do your job no one will criticize you. The hours and pay are good.
Pros
Free meals
Productive environment/Excellent to juggle family life
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WA 98373August 8, 2016
Greet and serve guests with utmost service, enjoyed management that opened this store location but once changed went downhill, co-workers were great - worked as a team and very caring, the hardest part of the job is you must know how to multi-task in a flow to assure you take as many tables as you can with still providing exceptional service - you will succeed if you can do this, loved the staff, charity events, and being able to have lots of time for school and family still.
Pros
Discounted meals, great tips
Cons
no benefits, no recognition but one of the best workers that had great sections always
Constantly changing, put to much on servers
Bartender/Server Trainer (Former Employee) –  Citrus Park, FLAugust 7, 2016
Managers are always changing and being moved around so there is no consistency. Rules change, goals change, performance changes. Expect a lot of of the servers and base your schedules on the surveys from the rewards program. Its very difficult because the server gets a negative survey even if the kitchen messes up. So so many coupons from the rewards program. Cuts my sales a lot and people dont tip on original.
Pros
Good menu, decent food
Cons
Tons of coupons so lower sales, unorganized, survey based schedule
Minimum wage and demanding
Take-out Server and Trainer (Former Employee) –  Brentwood, CAAugust 3, 2016
Dead slow or incredibly busy, no in-between. Minimum wage is hardly worth the work. There are too many managers that are inconsistent, unreliable, and most are just jerks.
Pros
free or discounted meal every shift
Cons
minimum wage, overworked, and unappreciated
Hostess Position
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 2, 2016
I left a job for a better opportunity and i thought this would be a great job. Not long hours, higher pay, simple. Or so I thought. I was barely trained as a hostess, so the seating came a little difficult for me. It seemed like eveyrtime i would seat some one in a servers section they would be po'd and come and complain to you like you're not already stressing out enough. And then if you didn't seat them they would be po'd as well. Its always the hostess fault.
Since i wasn't properly trained the dress code got screwed up somewhere along the way.
Customers are generally fine unless its a busy weekend night and the place is packed.Sorry you have to wait like everyone else.
Kitchen area is disgusting, your shoes get covers in gunk, the silverware napkins were stored where the trash was so they smelled terrible which in turn made your hands s and the silverware is never fully cleaned since the dishwashers pack in the cutlery
Some of the cooks are pervs and/or nasty. touching food and ice with bare hands, dirty aprons, eating food behind the line. Don't get me started on the dishwasher guys.
Management was stressful. They're all over the place. One is strict rules, one if fun loving, one is the awkward one that say strange things and is a little to close with some of the workers. Maybe you even find out that one of them is only nice to your face.
Hours suck. don't think you're going to get 7 hour shifts. its either 5 or less or 9 or more. I thought since i was being paid higher that i would make more money and it turns out I'm making just about the same or even less.
  more... They tell you you can pick up shifts but would you really want to if you have to deal with all of that?  less
Pros
Free food if not making tips, meet new people
Cons
Sharing tips, low tips on slow days, management
Mature work environment.
Culinary Chef (Former Employee) –  Temple, TXAugust 1, 2016
Since I have worked at bi's brewhouse all of the management has been either replaced or has been changed. Probably completely different work environment.
Pros
Not bad tips or hourly rate.
Cons
Business was slowing down.
cool laid back enviorment most of the time
DISHWASHER/UTILITY (Former Employee) –  Dublin, CAAugust 1, 2016
the managers were all cool and respectful overall... nice friendly workplace most of the time. theres only one daytime dishwasher on the morning shift. so you are responsible for keeping the cooks with plates,silverware,pots pans, and all glasses and the morning dishwasher is responsible for the trash of the entire back of the house at the beginning of the shift and st the end of your shift.also the dishwasher has to clean the outside dumpster area with soap a broom and poor water hose.
Pros
nice enviorment
Cons
whole lots of work
Money is cool
Server (Former Employee) –  Allen, TXJuly 31, 2016
Easy place to make money but management makes it hard to enjoy your job. As long as you give good service,people will tip well.
Great Team environment and great pizza!
Server (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJuly 28, 2016
A typical day would be either morning or afternoon shift.
I learned how to give guests a great dining experience working on my own or with others.
Management was not part of my requirement.
The most difficult part of the job is making sure the food arrived timely from the kitchen to satisfy the guest.
The most enjoyable part of the job is guest satisfaction along with company satisfaction.
It was so so.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJuly 26, 2016
Most if the day you spend up and running dishes. You can spend 5-8 hours a day doing a mix of dishes AND prep cook work. The hours aren't bad but the job can be difficult during rush hours. Management needs more work. There are certain managers who are good but they eventually move on to other restaurants. Also if you have the closing shift then good luck. Closing can be kinda rough. On a bad day you could probably expect to get out towards 4 AM.
Pros
Free lunch, Cool co-workers, Team oriented enviroment.
Cons
Short "break", big work load, wet most of the day, hand damage can occour due to water exposure.
Great place to work for motivated individuals
Kitchen Manager/Exec (Former Employee) –  Aurora, COJuly 26, 2016
I learned more than I could have imagined over the 10 years I worked there. They bring out the best in people and let you see what you are truly capable of.
Positive work environment
Book keeper (Current Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 25, 2016
Productive and positive work atmosphere. Always room for advancement, flexible hours, many locations

Being aware of surroundings.
Great communication skills and customer service

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Reviews by Location