BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Employee Reviews

Fun and fast pace with a twist of unexpected troubles
Hostess, Food-Runner, Server (Current Employee) –  San Bruno, CAJanuary 13, 2017
A typical day at work consists of numerous people, all types, who may be the rudest or the nicest. While trying to accommodate these guests, you constantly have to make sure they have all that they need. The easy part was watching over your table, but the hardest was constantly scavenging for utensils and cups to serve your tables, or find clean silverware to give to the guests. While you run with your head cut off for awhile, the food is always discouraging for the guest as the kitchen tends to make a lot of mistakes. My coworkers, however, are the best people in the world- young, hip, helpful, and close knit family. They are the reason most people stay at BJ's and because of the tips you can earn up to in a week.
Pros
coweorkers, free food, tips, short hours, flexible schedule, days off
Cons
No 401k, No health benefits, management is disorganized, food is average, no clean utensils
Fast paced work with little down time.
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 20, 2016
On a typical day at work you only get your one break to relax. This particular restaurant makes its own beer. Also, there are only two locations in Orlando which is why they are always so busy. I did learn a few tricks in the kitchen that i still apply in my kitchen at home. As far as management and employees go, everybody got along pretty well. The hardest part of the job was having to work that station alone at times because of people being late or calling in to work. The best part about it were the skills i obtained with prep and the pay was very fair.
Pros
Free meal every shift
Cons
No benefits
Slavery
Line cook, dishwasher, food eater (Current Employee) –  Culver City, CADecember 23, 2016
This place likes making you work for very little. Uegene ochoa likes to give people smiles, and tell them they doing a very good job, but doesn't plan on helping you with a raise. The leads calls them self chef, but not even close. They garbage. I bet they don't even know how to bleach lol.
Pros
Leave with chocolate cookies, pizzas, girls, and no drug test
Cons
Dont get fool with manager saying ur doing a great job...
Upbeat, fun, and knowledgable place to be at all times
Trainer/Server (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 22, 2016
Everyday I meet someone new, see old guest, and make new relationships! My favorite part of this job is pleasing people and creating many relationships that would not have been possible outside of my work place. I have definitely learned working here that there are many different types of people in the world with different personalities and I must accommodate and adapt to their needs. My co-workers are awesome! everyone of us are friends and get together outside of work! We are a team, but more than that we are a family. The hardest part of my job would be not being able to defend myself when a guest has spoken wrongly of me - "the guest is always right." On the flip side, my favorite part about being a team member here is the work that each and every one of us puts into this restaurant to make it run day in and day out.
Pros
A lot of money in a short amount of time.
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, only part time.
Productive environment/Excellent to juggle family life
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WA 98373August 8, 2016
Greet and serve guests with utmost service, enjoyed management that opened this store location but once changed went downhill, co-workers were great - worked as a team and very caring, the hardest part of the job is you must know how to multi-task in a flow to assure you take as many tables as you can with still providing exceptional service - you will succeed if you can do this, loved the staff, charity events, and being able to have lots of time for school and family still.
Pros
Discounted meals, great tips
Cons
no benefits, no recognition but one of the best workers that had great sections always
Management Program
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Anaheim Hills/ Puente HillsDecember 22, 2016
Management program needs to be restructured. The quality of life and development is not even with the compensation. As a team member, the job was great. As a manager, the expectations were unrealistic and the lifestyle prevented me from being with my family when needed and forced me to neglect my health.
Fast paced, fun environment
Quality Coordinator (Current Employee) –  North CarolinaNovember 30, 2016
I am pleased with my position and opportunities awarded through my employment. I feel that there is a lot of favoritism and drama at my store that creates uncomfortable and hostile work environment some days.
Pros
Free meals, competitive wages, benefits
Cons
favoritism drama harrassment
Overall, one of the better restaurants to work for if you're interested in long term management.
Dining/Sales & Marketing Manager (Current Employee) –  Beavercreek, OHSeptember 1, 2016
Long hours (even for restaurant mngmt), generous pay though. Very good opportunities for advancement. Great atmosphere, good culture. Seem to be a lot of unreasonable expectations regarding sales, labor, etc.
Pros
meal compensation, laid back atmosphere
Cons
55+ hours/week
I loved this restaurant.
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Sparks, NVFebruary 15, 2017
This restaurant was very fun and loving atmosphere, i enjoyed working here but saw no way in moving up as quickly as i wanted to. The compensation is not great, and the hostesses do not receive tips. In other words i was not making enough nor getting enough hours to stay.
Very fun work environment
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 16, 2016
I've opened a quite a few restaurants within the area. Bjs is by far the best opening I've done by far.. Very fast pace and fun managers as well as other staff.
Pros
free food
benefits
Not great...
Server (Former Employee) –  Waco, TXFebruary 15, 2017
I worked for BJ's brewhouse for nearly two years. Management made numerous promises that were NEVER fulfilled. I actually went to school in Dallas and got certified as a craft beer brewmaster and still was not promoted to bartender. I also went to Texas Tech University and studied Viticulture and then later worked at a winery (while working at BJ's).
Really not thrilled about how my experience went at BJ's brewhouse, I had very high hopes with working here and did want to stay with this company for a long time but ended up extremely disappointed. I also know that I am not the only employee/ex-employee that feels this way. Many of my coworkers feel the exact same if not worse. But, it is a restaurant and if you have ever worked in the restaurant industry, you know how that goes.

I do wish the best for my co-workers and my managers at BJ's brewhouse. It just didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.
Bj's Restaurant and Brewhouse
MANAGER (Former Employee) –  OklahomaJune 7, 2016
BJ's is a great company with amazing compensation and benefits. They are always willing to listen to opinions of team members and management team is typically on the same page due to great communication between them. Finding a balance between work hours and personal life is a challenge, due to the various shifts you could be responsible for any day.
Pros
Benefits, pay, request off are typically worked out, management, people.
The Best Family Oriented Brew house in the world
Service Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXJanuary 11, 2017
This restaurant is a professional restaurant, family oriented, with great staff and great food. The managers are the coolest ever because of how they mix their personalities with their professionalism. Nothing bad about this restaurant. Typical day is unexpected which is expected and awesome. Co-workers are really fun to talk to. I learned that this is a industry that I will thrive in. The hardest part in this job is training new employees for example when you have to train three new employees in one shift that can be hard, but I can handle it I am an Eagle Scout after all.
Pros
Great learning experience and great managers and co-workers
Cons
lots of turnover because nobody wants to work hard anymore
Long Hours, Not enough staff on at one time, management is disorganized
Server (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 7, 2016
Long Hours, Unfortunately this place is really disorganized. Management would rather seat as many people down as they can rather than having a wait time. which causes servers to be stretched thin not allowing them to give the guest the proper service they deserve. This takes away from the quality of the restaurant itself. It also makes it to where the kitchen is packed with orders. No one is getting the food out because they are busy taking orders and getting drinks out. It is pure chaos. My co-workers are amazing. we all have the same goal. To work as hard as we can to earn the most. The hardest part of the job is not having a steady income. The most enjoyable part of my job is the friendships i have made working there.
Pros
The food tastes amazing.
Cons
unfriendly managers
Fun and Friendly work environment, with attentive and active management
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Little Rock, ARDecember 27, 2016
Great place to work very employee and community oriented company. Various opportunities for advancement and training, in an organized and documented system. Management very involved and promotes cross training and taking the advancement opportunities.
Pros
Fun work environment, High volume, employee oriented, opportunities to serve your community outside of work.
Cons
No breaks, Poorly regulated tip out policies.
Hectic Work Environment
HOSTESS AND TAKE OUT/DELIVERY (Former Employee) –  Huntington Beach, CANovember 2, 2016
A typical work day ranged from 4 to 8 hours of greeting guests, taking them to tables, or during a busy day, putting them on the wait list. As a hostess this can go smoothly or you may get people who get mad at you when you tell them your restaurant is very busy so the wait time will be much longer than they want to. As the front line, you have to take a lot of abuse sometimes because no one likes to wait to get fed. I learned a lot about how to communicate with people and about conflict resolutions, especially when we had large parties walk in expecting to be accommodated and a full reservation list. It required a lot of quick thinking while still doing justice to guests already waiting for tables. Management was also very involved in helping us as best they could and often pitched in to help run food, greet guests, and anything else when it got very busy. If nothing else, I was blessed to have worked under a fantastic general manager at this location. The hardest part of the job is obviously putting guests on the wait because you have to know which tables are closest to getting up and how busy the kitchen is, its a large team effort and involved a lot of communication and sometimes people are not dependable The most enjoyable part of my job was getting those moments right, when the large walk in party was sat as quickly as could be and the wait list did not suffer as a result and no one got angry, those days really felt like huge accomplishments. This restaurant chain really makes it feel like you are a team so you become close to your co-workers and the atmosphere is usually  more... great. However, if you become really good at what you do, expect to be called to come in a lot because this job will burn some people out fast and make them less likely to show up or call in sick. There were a lot of days off when I ended up being called in when I could be out doing plans. Now of course, you can say you can't come in but the benefits to these calls is that when they know you are dependable they will notice and you will get a raise for it, or an award. This company is great.  less
Pros
Free meals as a hostess, overtime compensation, promotions, healthcare options
Cons
short breaks, hectic, loud
Miss the old General manager.
Take-Out Server (Former Employee) –  Vienna, VAFebruary 12, 2017
The old Store manger showed his appreciation. I worked here for half a year. This restaurant is a fail vision for a non-Caucasian.At the start, I really did like working here, until a new store manager came in. I witness he would greet all the white folks happily. You'll not seek opportunity here or advancements, if you're not a white man or woman. I have not seen a non-Caucasian store manager in our area. It's American restaurant after all. Hard work doesn't pay off here or just the philosophy of being a hard worker doesn't really work out. It's more of a bias place. You really have to kiss the manger butt at all times, for them to like you. Being white is a bonus!
Pros
free food
Cons
Tyrant racist manager
Productive but favorite oriented
Server (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXDecember 20, 2016
BJ's is a very corporate place to work, everything is by the book although the people they hire for kitchen, are usually on something. They take forever to get anything out and usually, your tip suffers because of it. Managers don't talk to you, they talk at you. No representation of respect. If corporate walks in and you have to tell your employees to get their stuff together, you have an issue. They expect you to work a double and go with no break.
Pros
Half price food if working, discount varies when off the clock
Cons
Long hours, no breaks
Bj's Brewhouse employment
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAAugust 15, 2016
It is a very fast paced work environment, with many challenges. On any given day, due to call outs or lack of product, we have to overcome obstacles with teamwork and patience. We have a high turn out right, due to the many requirements each employee must meet. It is a non stop environment and there is no breaks during a shift. From clocking in until clocking out it is work every second. The managers care enough to show, but in all honesty are too busy trying to keep the place running to put much effort into the people. So every promotion and new station I mastered, I had to learn by my self without training. That kind of work experience has helped me become a leader, determined, and a proud over achiever.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
Management when it's given up
Great serving staff
Bartender and Server (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHJanuary 24, 2017
Great stop gap between jobs. But poorly managed. Lots of management turnover. Great clientele! Service staff one the best in the city. Long hours but worth the money.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse. Our community is ready to answer.

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Reviews by Location