BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Employee Reviews in United States

I hated working her
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALFebruary 28, 2016
We would never get a break, and everyone was always overworked and yelled at. Food always takes forever to come out for customers so not even the tips were good, and we still were yelled at. Co-workers often were sweating and exhausted with not even a drink of water before being bossed around and rushed. As a server assistant, if even one co-worker didn't show up for their shift two assistants were in charge of the whole customer area. Bathrooms, cleaning all the tables and getting refills, rolling all the silverware, checking the servers out so they could go home, restocking clean towel buckets, and being the first ones in and the last ones out. My first day I worked 12 hours and it was just helping the restaurant stock for opening!

Worst part, management. I was approved of my work shoes, non-slip, five times. The day of our first customers, I was told to go buy new shoes. I had no money I could spend and was told I would be fired if I did not get the correct shoes. I had a to take out a loan in order to come to work and I wasn't even thanked or told sorry when I got to work that day... I hated this place. Don't let anyone work here!!
Pros
Clean environment
Cons
Long shifts no break, negative managers, large amounts of work, poor training
Amazing job with great management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAFebruary 21, 2016
This is by far the best job I have had so far. Management and team members are amazing. Pay is good and there is opportunity to get a raise and or climb the ladder to management.
Pros
managers
Cons
if their slow you get sent home
Stressful
Busboy and Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2016
Came in, cleaned and stocked the bar with glasses, restocked ice, cleaned the tables, cleared off the tables during the rush, mopped and finished up with dishes. Management was not my favorite but they kept the restaurant going. The co-workers were very rude. There hardest thing was getting help clearing the tables. The customers that came in were the best.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
advancement
A growing company with solid management in place
Senior Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OhioSeptember 9, 2015
BJ's Brewhouse was the best restaurant work that I ever had in my career. Upper management genuinely cares about it restaurant's team and wants to see them get promoted as the number of locations increase. Unfortunately, I was not able to balance my family life and my work life with the schedule that comes along with being a successful restaurant. The late nights along with the early mornings just wear on you. BJ's is an active participant in the communities they reside and are committed to give back when opportunities are made available.
Pros
Has a good growth model and execute consistently from restaurant to restaurant, committed to training, huge emphasis on technology for team members and to guests, consistent food, good price point, great BJ's beer
Cons
Typical restaurant hours, may be expanding too quickly
Do I like to cook? I love to cook, under certain conditions of course.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 11, 2015
My typical day at work is just working hard and making my weekly salary. What I've learned for working in this job is that I've learned about proper food etiquettes. What I expect in management is that I would like them to have to work as hard as I have to, I only expect equality with in the work line. I'm completely sociable with my co-workers, I expect the same thing from them as I would expect from management; equality. The hardest part of my job would definitely have to be that everything is an equal challenge; its as hard as you make it out to be. I enjoy learning new skills when it comes to my job, I like to add that into my cooking so that I could a better performance in my work.
Pros
Socializing, creativity, experience
Cons
Lack of mentor skills in management, Lack of cooperation, Not being able to excel/progress.
Great environment and overall a good corporation to be a part of.
Bartender, Server, Hostess, Take-out (Current Employee) –  McCandless Township, PANovember 16, 2015
I really enjoy the environment that BJ's promotes and the corporation sets up a great training program. I think that BJ's a a great company to work for and they take care of their employees. The management staff is great and know what they are doing. I would recommend working for this company, it is a great place to work for. BJ's instills a positive mindset into their employees and it is something that you take home with you. The only negative about working for BJ's is the long hours, it seems to drain the management and staff. But overall I would rate the company five stars. I love BJ's Restaurant!
Pros
Staff, management, training.
Very well run company.
Executive Kitchen Manager (Former Employee) –  Tukwila, WAFebruary 18, 2016
I received excellent training and I was placed in a great work environment with many opportunities for career development. I worked in three restaurants with great management teams. It was a great experience.
Pros
Great work environment.
Cons
Late closing times, lack of recipe input.
horrible management and communicaton
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Salinas, CANovember 3, 2015
A typical day of work at BJ's consisted of switching stations from dish-washing to line cook, unreliable direction, incinsistent times for lunch and clocking in and out, and a stressful work environment due to the lack of communication between managers. My co-workers were all amiable and we got along well. I still have many friends I keep in touch with from there. The hardest part of the job was their unreliability. The most enjoyable part of it was the people I got to work with. I learned from this job what I want out of a career and how to make the most out of a bad work environment. Being exposed to this type of management has made me quick to adapt.
Pros
the people i worked with
Cons
bad management
Unorganized. Lazy and rude managers.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Jantzen beachFebruary 25, 2016
Once when I was told to leave for the day by one manager, another manager got in his car and drove to my bus stop to ask why I left. He realized he was wrong and drove back. Weird.

Training is chaos. They would always jump in when it got busy instead of let me learn. They dont teach everything you need to know, then they get mad when something goes wrong.

Salad station does own prep every morning. This is impossible because they dont give you atequate time to do this because they try to save money on hours.

Other employees seem stressed out by the management. There is definitely a vibe here that the people in charge are irresponsible.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Managers are rude
Better than Most Restaurants
Server (Current Employee) –  Downey, CAOctober 22, 2015
Their trainig is very intensive, especially if your hired from the outside in. I did feel that they hold their employees to a "gold standard" of service but do not properly train to this level and still have that expectation. Also my managers often times talk down to me. But it's probably one of the bettter restaurants. The beer culture is pretty great along with their pizzas. The work is pretty intense, a lot of heavy hot plates and overall labor intensive work.
Pros
50% employee meal discount, opportunity to move up to management positions with a less-than perfect background, pretty clean in comparison to other restaurants
Cons
Often times are treated as a number more than a human being. Results oriented, with a "we don't care how you get it done just get it done" type attitude.
The Life as a Server at BJ's
Host/Food Runner/server (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXFebruary 17, 2016
This establishment is by far the best place I have ever work, and the most fun. You are catering to your guests needs, but you do it as a team with a very supportive staff behind you. Not only to you make good money but you are working on a multitude of different skills at the same time. These skills include; teamwork, customer service, customer relations, manual labor, cooperation, fast pace on the spot thinking, creating an experience.
Pros
Great team, good management, and growing company. Discounted meals every shift worked.
Cons
Upper management is always getting transferred around
Bj's Brewhouse employment
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAAugust 15, 2016
It is a very fast paced work environment, with many challenges. On any given day, due to call outs or lack of product, we have to overcome obstacles with teamwork and patience. We have a high turn out right, due to the many requirements each employee must meet. It is a non stop environment and there is no breaks during a shift. From clocking in until clocking out it is work every second. The managers care enough to show, but in all honesty are too busy trying to keep the place running to put much effort into the people. So every promotion and new station I mastered, I had to learn by my self without training. That kind of work experience has helped me become a leader, determined, and a proud over achiever.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
Management when it's given up
Great college job
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  San Jose, CAJanuary 15, 2016
My typical day at work is being an assistant manager is working a mid shift. I support the entire group of team members ranging from around 40 team members at once. I have grown in experience through the gold standard at Bj's using the corporate policy as reference. Management has improved in the two plus years I have been working there and the pace of the restaurant with sales have greatly improved. My co-workers are hard working team members who I guide to be better than they were the day before. There is always room for growth and improvement. The hardest part of the job is the hours. I have a six year old son who just started in an immersion school learning Spanish and my hours from noon till nine have not been ideal. The most enjoyable part of working at Bj;s is the atmosphere. I love my job and I do a very good job at being an emerging leader for this company.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Mid shifts as a manager
Upbeat, fun, and knowledgable place to be at all times
Trainer/Server (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 22, 2016
Everyday I meet someone new, see old guest, and make new relationships! My favorite part of this job is pleasing people and creating many relationships that would not have been possible outside of my work place. I have definitely learned working here that there are many different types of people in the world with different personalities and I must accommodate and adapt to their needs. My co-workers are awesome! everyone of us are friends and get together outside of work! We are a team, but more than that we are a family. The hardest part of my job would be not being able to defend myself when a guest has spoken wrongly of me - "the guest is always right." On the flip side, my favorite part about being a team member here is the work that each and every one of us puts into this restaurant to make it run day in and day out.
Pros
A lot of money in a short amount of time.
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, only part time.
Proceed with caution
Restaurant worker (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 7, 2016
Restaurant management is weak. The clientele is awful, it gets worse every month that I work there. The other servers are lazy and refuse to pre-bus tables. The host staff refuses to go on a rotation. They jam butts in seats, no matter how busy the server is. The management refuses to interfere and watches as the servers become buried in their sections. The culture with the kitchen workers is strained, the kitchen crashes daily running ticket times between thirty and forty minutes. The other night I waited 25 minutes for one dessert. Additionally, we do not hold on to good managers, they come in, get trained and leave. If training in another restaurant was not such a lengthy process, I would have already quit.

I am hoping for divine intervention. Please God, let me find another job.
Pros
Clocking out, days off
Cons
Poor management, horrible clientele, awful kitchen staff
Soul Sucking Terror
Server (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLAugust 18, 2016
Location was understaffed on busy days and overstaffed on dead day. Equipment such as silverware was so poor that the whole restaurant could not be sat at one time. product ordering was so poor that on a weekly basis there were outages for multiple days of such staples as chicken, pizza dough in a location that is know for pizzas, several of the house beers, The kitchen also consistently produced sub-par food that would be sent back on a table by table basis to an extent that whole checks would be comped and tips would suffer greatly.
Pros
very easy and almost too relaxed work envorinment
Cons
Poor management control resulting in what can only be described as failing location
fast paced environment and socially interactive
Takeout Server/ Hostess/Server (Current Employee) –  Jacksonville, FLJanuary 5, 2016
I have learned to work in a fast paced environment that deals with hundreds of customers on a daily basis. I answer phones and greet guests as they enter and leave the building. Management plays a large role in scheduling and when dealing with customers that are not happy or would like to speak to someone with a higher up knowledge. My co-workers are very team based oriented and we all help each other out so everyone can succeed at the end of the day. The hardest part of my job is when in a situation you cannot control and having upset customers leave the building. The most enjoyable part of my job is getting to interact with all of the different people that walk through the doors and meeting some extraordinary people.
Pros
free meals to hourly employees, fun work environment
Cons
lack of breaks, 12 hours or longer shifts
Changing workplace no Leadership from managment.
Line Cook/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Little Rock, AR Bjs BrewhouseJanuary 19, 2016
Good pay,but due to regular management changes there is no consistency. Lack of leadership and responsibility from management.
Pros
Competitive pay rates.
Cons
Lack of leadership from managment
Great company, management culture not good at all
Server (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 2, 2015
I thouroughly enjoyed working at BJ's. A typical day there was usually fast-paced, high volume intensity. Most of the time the guests were friendly and personable, other times (especially during peak service hours) guests were atrocious! If a guest complained about the slow delivery of their food and drinks it was taken out on the waitstaff, meaning whole checks were compted. That should not ever happen because if management makes the staff feel unappreciated, moral goes down and efficiency follows.
the atmosphere could've been a lot better but it seems that the management culture at BJ's is BONUS, BONUS, BONUS at the expense of staff. All of my co-workers were pleasant, nice people to work with. We usually worked well as a team, helping one another. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing people happy as they left the restaurant, knowing that the staff had done a great job.
Pros
Good money, great location, excellent food
Cons
Management treatment of staff
Great place!
Server (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 7, 2016
I think BJ's is a great opportunity in the restataunt industry because they're all about advancement. Just in the month I've been working there I've seen several people get promoted. I'm not saying I've never seen anyone fired either, but it's a great opportunity for advancement.

I've got a lot more time off than I used to, which is nice. There's no way I would get three days off in a row at my old serving job that's for sure.

ALL of my managers are super nice. That may just be my location but I'm just saying. I can talk to any of them and they're pretty open about it.

Job culture is a little weird at my specific location but we have some quirky folks. But that's kinda restaurants for ya.
Pros
Free meals or half off depending on job

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Reviews by Location