BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Employee Reviews in United States

Do I like to cook? I love to cook, under certain conditions of course.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLNovember 11, 2015
My typical day at work is just working hard and making my weekly salary. What I've learned for working in this job is that I've learned about proper food etiquettes. What I expect in management is that I would like them to have to work as hard as I have to, I only expect equality with in the work line. I'm completely sociable with my co-workers, I expect the same thing from them as I would expect from management; equality. The hardest part of my job would definitely have to be that everything is an equal challenge; its as hard as you make it out to be. I enjoy learning new skills when it comes to my job, I like to add that into my cooking so that I could a better performance in my work.
Pros
Socializing, creativity, experience
Cons
Lack of mentor skills in management, Lack of cooperation, Not being able to excel/progress.
Great flexible job
Server/Bartender (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKJanuary 8, 2016
Although I am upset that the servers are not able to receive health care or 401k benefits, this is a great job that is flexible with your scheduling needs. I am a full time student and also travel out of state once a month. This company has allowed me to continue that lifestyle while still work for them. Serving at BJ's is enjoyable as you meet new guests and regulars each day. Co-workers are very open and friendly, at my location at least.
Pros
Flexible, short shifts, friendly staff
Cons
No benefits, taxed tips whether made or not
Amazing job with great management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Slidell, LAFebruary 21, 2016
This is by far the best job I have had so far. Management and team members are amazing. Pay is good and there is opportunity to get a raise and or climb the ladder to management.
Pros
managers
Cons
if their slow you get sent home
Mediocre company, bad business to work for.
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAOctober 24, 2015
The company "BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse" should be a place where you work with friends, connect with guests and feel great. However, "BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse" shows little to no regard for their Team Members' happiness. The company holds its Team Members to principles such as integrity and Gold Standards, to the extent, that Team Members have been fired for violation. In addition to standards, Service Assistants, in particular, have a list of responsibilities. A summary of the work load in Moreno Valley is to check and clear more than 70 tables, assist Servers with their job, clear dishes and get items for the Bartender and side work (plumb toilets and change light bulbs in lieu of a technician and clean up after Servers). In spite of minimum wage, you cannot order free food and your dress shirt, slacks and work shoes must be purchased on your own. Managers get free food and cut Team Members' hours for a productivity check. Team Members can steal tips at any time and the Managers do not get involved. There is no chance of ever getting a raise. The tips you get as a Service Assistant or Food Runner comes out of the Servers' pockets.
Pros
Free water
Cons
Free water for guests
Rewarding & Challenging Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  Restaurant Support CenterOctober 19, 2015
BJ's is a great company to work for. They are committed to quality and it shows! Training was fantastic. While there is a lot to learn, you're provided with all of the tools you need to succeed, along with a fantastic team that provides support a long the way.

If you're looking for growth & professional development, BJ's is the perfect restaurant to work for.
Pros
Rewarding, Challenging, Career Advancement, Great Compensation & Benefits
Restaurant Server
Customer relations -server (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CAAugust 19, 2015
I come to work with high energy, positive attitude. Always on time or earlier. I greet guest with a friendly hello and a smile. I engage in small talk to make them feel comfortable and relaxed. I receive their orders and return to them promptly. Management needs a little improvement but I guess everybody can improve in some aspect. I work with a lot of young adults who sometimes thank they know everything but its nice to actually teach someone the right way of doing something and they actually apply it to their every day use. The hardest part of my job is when it gets busy all at once and you get overwhelmed with tables all at the same time. The most enjoyable part of my job is the guest who visit and leaves with a smile on their face
Pros
cash daily
Cons
minimal benifits
Good serving job
Lead Server, Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Chula Vista, CADecember 6, 2015
Pretty decent serving job. Benefits for part time and full time available. Location I worked at had poor tips because of demographic, but I was given shift preference and management is great.
Bj's Brewhouse employment
Line Cook and Prep Cook (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, VAAugust 15, 2016
It is a very fast paced work environment, with many challenges. On any given day, due to call outs or lack of product, we have to overcome obstacles with teamwork and patience. We have a high turn out right, due to the many requirements each employee must meet. It is a non stop environment and there is no breaks during a shift. From clocking in until clocking out it is work every second. The managers care enough to show, but in all honesty are too busy trying to keep the place running to put much effort into the people. So every promotion and new station I mastered, I had to learn by my self without training. That kind of work experience has helped me become a leader, determined, and a proud over achiever.
Pros
The people I work with
Cons
Management when it's given up
Upbeat, fun, and knowledgable place to be at all times
Trainer/Server (Current Employee) –  Tyler, TXAugust 22, 2016
Everyday I meet someone new, see old guest, and make new relationships! My favorite part of this job is pleasing people and creating many relationships that would not have been possible outside of my work place. I have definitely learned working here that there are many different types of people in the world with different personalities and I must accommodate and adapt to their needs. My co-workers are awesome! everyone of us are friends and get together outside of work! We are a team, but more than that we are a family. The hardest part of my job would be not being able to defend myself when a guest has spoken wrongly of me - "the guest is always right." On the flip side, my favorite part about being a team member here is the work that each and every one of us puts into this restaurant to make it run day in and day out.
Pros
A lot of money in a short amount of time.
Cons
no breaks, no benefits, only part time.
Proceed with caution
Restaurant worker (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJune 7, 2016
Restaurant management is weak. The clientele is awful, it gets worse every month that I work there. The other servers are lazy and refuse to pre-bus tables. The host staff refuses to go on a rotation. They jam butts in seats, no matter how busy the server is. The management refuses to interfere and watches as the servers become buried in their sections. The culture with the kitchen workers is strained, the kitchen crashes daily running ticket times between thirty and forty minutes. The other night I waited 25 minutes for one dessert. Additionally, we do not hold on to good managers, they come in, get trained and leave. If training in another restaurant was not such a lengthy process, I would have already quit.

I am hoping for divine intervention. Please God, let me find another job.
Pros
Clocking out, days off
Cons
Poor management, horrible clientele, awful kitchen staff
Soul Sucking Terror
Server (Former Employee) –  Lake Buena Vista, FLAugust 18, 2016
Location was understaffed on busy days and overstaffed on dead day. Equipment such as silverware was so poor that the whole restaurant could not be sat at one time. product ordering was so poor that on a weekly basis there were outages for multiple days of such staples as chicken, pizza dough in a location that is know for pizzas, several of the house beers, The kitchen also consistently produced sub-par food that would be sent back on a table by table basis to an extent that whole checks would be comped and tips would suffer greatly.
Pros
very easy and almost too relaxed work envorinment
Cons
Poor management control resulting in what can only be described as failing location
I hated working her
Server Assistant (Former Employee) –  Madison, ALFebruary 28, 2016
We would never get a break, and everyone was always overworked and yelled at. Food always takes forever to come out for customers so not even the tips were good, and we still were yelled at. Co-workers often were sweating and exhausted with not even a drink of water before being bossed around and rushed. As a server assistant, if even one co-worker didn't show up for their shift two assistants were in charge of the whole customer area. Bathrooms, cleaning all the tables and getting refills, rolling all the silverware, checking the servers out so they could go home, restocking clean towel buckets, and being the first ones in and the last ones out. My first day I worked 12 hours and it was just helping the restaurant stock for opening!

Worst part, management. I was approved of my work shoes, non-slip, five times. The day of our first customers, I was told to go buy new shoes. I had no money I could spend and was told I would be fired if I did not get the correct shoes. I had a to take out a loan in order to come to work and I wasn't even thanked or told sorry when I got to work that day... I hated this place. Don't let anyone work here!!
Pros
Clean environment
Cons
Long shifts no break, negative managers, large amounts of work, poor training
Great place!
Server (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAJune 7, 2016
I think BJ's is a great opportunity in the restataunt industry because they're all about advancement. Just in the month I've been working there I've seen several people get promoted. I'm not saying I've never seen anyone fired either, but it's a great opportunity for advancement.

I've got a lot more time off than I used to, which is nice. There's no way I would get three days off in a row at my old serving job that's for sure.

ALL of my managers are super nice. That may just be my location but I'm just saying. I can talk to any of them and they're pretty open about it.

Job culture is a little weird at my specific location but we have some quirky folks. But that's kinda restaurants for ya.
Pros
Free meals or half off depending on job
Productive environment/Excellent to juggle family life
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Puyallup, WA 98373August 8, 2016
Greet and serve guests with utmost service, enjoyed management that opened this store location but once changed went downhill, co-workers were great - worked as a team and very caring, the hardest part of the job is you must know how to multi-task in a flow to assure you take as many tables as you can with still providing exceptional service - you will succeed if you can do this, loved the staff, charity events, and being able to have lots of time for school and family still.
Pros
Discounted meals, great tips
Cons
no benefits, no recognition but one of the best workers that had great sections always
Stressful
Busboy and Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 13, 2016
Came in, cleaned and stocked the bar with glasses, restocked ice, cleaned the tables, cleared off the tables during the rush, mopped and finished up with dishes. Management was not my favorite but they kept the restaurant going. The co-workers were very rude. There hardest thing was getting help clearing the tables. The customers that came in were the best.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
advancement
Exceptional business with close management
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Mesquite, TXJune 16, 2016
A typical day of work at BJ's, was making sure that the restaurant was in a clean and orderly fashion, seating people in a quick manner, and finding things that needed to get done and getting them done. I learned time management and what it means to be apart of a team that all works together. Management was run like a tight ship. My co-workers was what got me through the day/night shift. We had tight relationships and great friendships. The hardest part of the job was finding seating for guest during rush hour without losing the customer. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing everyone happy when everything was running smooth.
Service Assistant
Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  5616 Spectrum Dr, Frederick, MD 21703June 21, 2016
A typical day working at BJ's Restaurant & Brewhouse consists of working at a moderate pace. There was a lot to do while working so there was very little time where there was nothing to do. Working at a restaurant taught me that some people are very selfish when it comes to money. The servers and service assistants had to share tips and sometimes, the servers were not generous, even if you help them more than anyone. I enjoyed the management a lot. They worked with my schedule and had a good understanding of their employees. My co-workers were friendly and always made small talk with me during work. They were not anti-social. The hardest part about my job was working alone while the restaurant was packed. I was held responsible for cleaning off all the tables and making sure they are clean by myself. That part was stressful. What I enjoyed most about my job was the free food and being able to bond with a lot of co-workers. Making new friendships and building strong teamwork was essential to me as a young adult working at a restaurant.
Unorganized. Lazy and rude managers.
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Jantzen beachFebruary 25, 2016
Once when I was told to leave for the day by one manager, another manager got in his car and drove to my bus stop to ask why I left. He realized he was wrong and drove back. Weird.

Training is chaos. They would always jump in when it got busy instead of let me learn. They dont teach everything you need to know, then they get mad when something goes wrong.

Salad station does own prep every morning. This is impossible because they dont give you atequate time to do this because they try to save money on hours.

Other employees seem stressed out by the management. There is definitely a vibe here that the people in charge are irresponsible.
Pros
Free meal
Cons
Managers are rude
It was so so.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Moreno Valley, CAJuly 26, 2016
Most if the day you spend up and running dishes. You can spend 5-8 hours a day doing a mix of dishes AND prep cook work. The hours aren't bad but the job can be difficult during rush hours. Management needs more work. There are certain managers who are good but they eventually move on to other restaurants. Also if you have the closing shift then good luck. Closing can be kinda rough. On a bad day you could probably expect to get out towards 4 AM.
Pros
Free lunch, Cool co-workers, Team oriented enviroment.
Cons
Short "break", big work load, wet most of the day, hand damage can occour due to water exposure.
Wonderful Co-Workers
Model Hostess Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Las VegasSeptember 29, 2015
Bj's Brew house has GREAT FOOD and Drinks and give wonderful employer discounts and medical insurance if you work enough hours to qualify.
Pros
Great employee discounts and benifits
Cons
work harder then reconized by managment for and paid for

Ask a question about working or interviewing at BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse. Our community is ready to answer.

BJ'S Restaurant & Brewhouse Reviews by Location