BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse

BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse Employer Reviews

Hectic work environment, often poorly managed
Line Cook (Current Employee), Dayton, OHMarch 7, 2015
Pros: free meals every shift
Cons: no breaks, inconsistent expectations from management
Bj's Brewhouse is an extremely busy restaurant, and thus, an often stressful environment. Management fails to meet basic expectations on a regular basis. Examples of this include continuous errors in employee schedules, arguing amongst themselves, not taking responsibility for their own mistakes, and generally not holding employees accountable for completing their work. I have learned how to be successful in that environment despite these setbacks by working hard and relying on the excellent team work of some of my fellow line cooks. The most difficult part of the job is the sheer amount of business we do, as you are nearly always extremely busy, and feel like you are constantly behind in your work. The most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with. We really do work well together as a team, and generally enjoy each other's company.
Professional and fun workplace environment with a clean and healthy environment
Server Assistant (Former Employee), katy frwyMarch 6, 2015
I unfortunately did not stay very long at BJ's because I lost the ability to make it to work after some conflicts at home and with my schedule conflicting with school. But the managers and coworkers were all motivated and hard working. As a server assistant I was involved with helping clear and reset the tables, restocking, and other basic job duties as a way to gain workplace experience so that I could eventually be a server.
Great place to work for
Supervisor/Bookkeeper (Current Employee), Moreno ValleyMarch 4, 2015
Great support from management team and corporate.
Love being able to connect with new guests on a daily basis.
Everyone comes together as a family. Great teamwork.
Fun place to work
Bartender, Trainer (Current Employee), College Station, TXFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: flexiable hours
Cons: stress, management
I've have a good experience working here. I have advanced through the front of house positions. I have had problems with management through out the years. But, I love my co-workers and what i do.
BJ's Restaurant
Host/Server Assistant (Former Employee), Las Vegas, NVFebruary 6, 2015
BJ's was a fun working environment and I enjoyed it there. It was my first restaurant job and learned lots about the industry.
Don't work here
Hostess and Cashier (Former Employee), Florence, KYJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: free meal every shift
Cons: everything else
Servers are treated terrible by managment, hostess are used and abused by them (front desk staff are basically their own managers and it's like a zoo), there is no way to move up properly and it is all run by favoritism of which girl/guy is the goofiest slack off worker that the managers can have a good time with during work hours. There is no discipline for favorites but if you aren't a favorite they will make sure you know you are wrong.
nice for a part time job
Prep Cook/ Line Cook (Former Employee), Wichita, KSJanuary 15, 2015
Pros: free meals after every shift.
Cons: too few hours to make a living.
Great place for short work and part time availability. Too often there is not enough work to get more hours.
Productive, yet a stressful work environment
Hostess/Server (Former Employee), San Rafael, CADecember 22, 2014
Pros: free lunches, good pay, flexible hours.
Cons: if not working a double, no breaks. stressful environment.
I would start out my day with a fairly regular routine. I would wipe down menus, check the bathrooms, and just maintain the image of the restaurant before we opened. Once the customers came in, I or another hostess would take them to their seat. During rush hour, we would quote them a wait time and hand them a pager. Every hour we were required to do a bathroom check and a menu run. Rush hour proved to be pretty stressful, but with this job I learned how to keep myself calm under pressure. One of the best parts of this job was getting to know and form relationships with my coworkers. We all got a long pretty well. One of the hardest parts was dealing with rude customers. Sometimes people would say some hurtful remarks, but in the end I built a thicker skin and didn't take it personally. Management helped us out during rush hours, and they were very supportive.
fun workplace
Server (Current Employee), Round Rock, TXDecember 10, 2014
Pros: make friends
Cons: poor healthcare if you even qualify
but its really just another serving job. you will make good friends and the schedule is very flexible. I wouldn't look for a career with the company though.
Fast paced and growing
Supervisor, Bartender, Server Trainer (Former Employee), Cupertino, CADecember 8, 2014
Bj's was constantly growing and fast paced everyday. Daily sales of the restaurant would be any where from 10-30k. However there were not enough managers to properly handle this big of a restaurant and they always seemed stressed and overworked to try to achieve the goals set forth by corporate. This sometimes left the staff to feel sometimes disorganized and overworked as well to try and compete with the demand.
Fun and new concept in Richmond
Bartender (Current Employee), Richmond, VADecember 1, 2014
This is a fun place to work with advancement potential. Offers an upbeat environment with great food and a great beer selection.There seems to be a lack of leadership within the managerial team but overall it is a great place to work.
Energetic with a lot of dead days
Cocktail Server and New Trainer (Former Employee), San Jose, CADecember 1, 2014
Pros: great tips, great coworkers, fast paced, always busy
Cons: days where there are no customers & over staffed
I loved my coworkers. We were tight as family. Unfortunately the management couldn't handle stress very well (which is odd if you're working in a restaurant) and often took it out on their employees. I have noticed with restaurant managers is that they are not willing to listen to their staff, even when they have different or conflicting ideas or strategies. There needs to be space for everyone to voice their opinions.
Fast-paced. lively workplace.
Take-Out Member (Current Employee), Elk Grove, CANovember 13, 2014
Pros: team member discount, food, variable hours
Cons: short lunch break, week-end hours
A typical day at Bj's consists of greeting and meeting a lot of guests. During the lunch rush in take-out you will have a lot of guests that are on their lunch break and are in a hurry. Giving them the proper once over for their food and supplying them with napkins and utensils will almost always get you tipped. Dinner rush is more complicated then lunch rush depending on the exact day and time. Many guests order when they're getting off work and are more laid back when told the wait time for their food
Management at the Elk Grove Bj's have not only pushed me to work harder but they have also bent over backwards for me. They always give feed back when needed and always take over situations when guests get hostile.
The hardest part about the job is when your not paying 100% attention. If given everything your undivided attention everything runs smoothly.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the scheduling system and the discount on food. It is a blessing to be able to swaps shifts with a fellow co-worker or to be able to pick-up/release shifts.
Decent and average place to work in
Server (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CANovember 2, 2014
The servers and team are great, as is the food. Being quick n your feet and calm are definitely important. However, managing the seating and number of servers on the floor needs work. Fairness towards shifts is also needed as well as better communication between servers and managers, as well as more concern for the employee perspective.
Fun Fine Dining Environment
SERVER (Current Employee), Downey, CAOctober 1, 2014
Pros: enjoy great food
Cons: short breaks
A typical day at work is very sociable atmosphere with guests and coworkers. fast paced. multi tasking. loud at times in a friendly way.
Brewhouse experience
Hostess (Current Employee), Vacaville, CASeptember 8, 2014
In a typical day at Bj's we can seat around one thousand people on a busy weekend evening. I can expect to encounter just about anything. I greet or seat customers with a smile, depending on my position for that day. I answer phones and direct calls as well as take names for call ahead seating. One particular position that is more difficult than the rest is coordinating. This requires attention to detail, knowledge of the wait staff's ability, customer service, organization as well as being able to perform under stress. I love my job, I walk in and out with a smile on my face every day, I just wish I could have full time and consistent hours.
Best
Hostess, Server, Nationally certified trainer (Former Employee), Chula Vista, CAAugust 17, 2014
Working for BJ's had prepared me for my other jobs I would end up having after.
Overall a satisfactory place to work
Server (Current Employee), San RafaelJuly 17, 2014
A seemingly typical restaurant to work at, with high demand from guests, and managers. A fast paced environment, with constant work to be done.
Friendly atmosphere
Server/Bartender (Current Employee), Fort Collins, COJuly 8, 2014
• Provide excellent customer service while individualizing the guest experience
• Complete opening and closing duties required for the shift
• Learned how to manage conflict with guests
• Team environment where everyone helps everyone
• Difficult to deal with angry guests
• Fun atmosphere
Fun and exciting environment
Server and Staff Trainer (Former Employee), Arcadia, CAJune 21, 2014
Learned to balance multiple tasks and guest expectations in a busy environment.
Management was descent, yet there were times when they were over bearing.
Hardest part of the job was the constant corporate demands.

1 2 3

About BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse

The Windy City inspires the food and drink at BJ's. BJ's Restaurants owns and operates more than 110 restaurants in California – Read more

BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse Salaries