Black & McDonald Limited Employee Reviews

Overworked, underpaid, no advancement ever
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOFebruary 16, 2017
Be prepared to be grossly under paid for the amount of work they will continue to dump on to you. If some one leaves in a department they will just transfer the work to the next person and not hire a replacement. No recognition of doing a good job, staying late, completing all of your work and then some. Management is entitled and hardly ever in the office. The environment is very relaxed. Sometimes so relaxed it would star in many what not to do in a workplace videos. Management will cross the boundaries with employees and will talk about other employees to their peers. The office as a whole is loud, distracting and unproductive. There are no true processes to flow of work, so it is a very confusing and unfocused office. Great stepping stone job but don't expect much except more work to do every week.
Pros
benefits package is great
Cons
too many
great job,easy to fit in with crews, safety was a priority
E/I Electrical Superintendent (Former Employee) –  CNRL, HorizionOctober 21, 2015
Got to learn alot from my colleagues thru the course of the job. teamwork and a positive attitude go a long way to having a successful job.
Pros
great atmoshere with others in office setting
Cons
healthcare
Wonderful company and great enviornment
Claims Administrator (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 10, 2015
I worked in the Claims department for the company. My job was to create and send out invoices for streetlight poles being knockdown or the wires being cut. Really enjoyed my position in the department I learned legal terms for excavating. I also learned how to legally respond to a person who was responsible for knocking down a streetlight pole in a car accident. I loved all of my co-workers the work environment was wonderful. Management was easy to talk to and everyone got along. The hardest part of my job was to tell people who hit a streetlight pole because of the weather or for reasons unavoidable that they had to pay or there drivers license could be taken away. The most enjoyable part of my day was getting in checks to cover the invoices that were outstanding and have a great collections week.
Pros
work 8-4:30 M-F
Cons
Having to be firm with customers who owe money
Older people need not apply
Accounts Payable Specialist (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOApril 5, 2013
Trending is the hiring of younger workers to replace older seasoned workers. I found that the best way to get along in this company is by not expressing opinions of any sort. Co-workers make this job tolerable. The hardest part of the job is the consistent negation of your ability to contribute meaningfully to the growth and expansion of the company. The most enjoyable part of this job was when you got to leave for lunch or at the end of your shift.
Pros
christmas bonuses, free lunches, invisible to management
Cons
elitist culture
Great atmosphere with awesome co-workers
Lead Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 12, 2012
Answer inbound calls and emails in reference to streetlight outages.

Worked closely with foreman and interior management in solving complex problems with multiple outages and knockdowns.
Pros
birthday lunches and yearly bonuses always kept you in a positive attitude.
Cons
sometimes left alone to handle to much at one time.