Black & Veatch Employee Reviews in United States

Excellent company with a wide variety of projects
Civil Engineer (Current Employee) –  Columbia, MDNovember 23, 2015
Great company with a lot of new work coming in. Some of the clients, however, make the schedules pretty aggressive, causing some frantic deadlines. Good co-workers with good attitudes and strong work ethics. The size of the company allows employees to feel safe during lull periods, as well as a lot of support during the busy times (extra support staff). A lot of older employees with a lot of knowledge teaches the younger employees. With the large amount of older employees, room for advancement is present
Pros
Mobile work stations, ability to work from home or other offices
Cons
Horrible benefits
Some Locations are better than others
Market Manager (Current Employee) –  SD/LVSeptember 4, 2015
The Turf Director in the San Diego Office creates and promotes a unhealthy and hostile work environment. Shoot first and aim later mentality. Job security is seemingly nonexistent. The "open door" policy was more used against you than to help you.

Other work locations were very much fun and challenging with a great management system in place. The Corporate mission statement is very much in focus. Would be a great career environment unless you work in the San Diego/Las Vegas joint office.
Pros
Great Benefits, salary, and internal traning
Cons
The '"In Crowd" seems to be protected when found wrong
This is a review from a contract engineer perspective
Structural Engineer I (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 19, 2016
The company is great and the people I worked with were wonderful, however, as a contract engineer you feel that you are treated different and there is no chance of advancement. The first six months were good, however, after that I was going to work not knowing if I was going to stay till the end of the day or I will be let go. I was one of the top performers on the project and I wasn't let go till the last group but still it wasn't a pleasant experience going to work being worried that this might be the last day.
Pros
Work atmosphere was great and the people were good.
Cons
No chance for advancement
A great place to start your career
Electrical Engineering Technician 4 (Current Employee) –  Greenwood Village, CODecember 22, 2015
The company is great at starting your career. There is a disconnect between upper management and the staff. The Supervisor set-up is really a mess and sometimes your supervisor is someone you don't even work with and also could be your peer on your same level...
Employment at Black & Veatch
Executive Administrator/Export Control Manager (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSMarch 21, 2016
This is a very diverse company with potential to grow. Excellent company - Work/Life Balance, and personnel are outstanding to work with.
Great Company with a major fault
Work there and thats enough (Former Employee) –  california locationMarch 13, 2016
I loved working at this company. However i was recruited by them telling me that employees get laid off after contingent (contract) employees... How it hurts to have been let go just days before i would have received a bonus check and i was laid off before contingents. They did this to hundreds of employees before letting contingents go... Very sad very hurtful... I loved working for the people i worked for. Great bosses...
Pros
Good bosses with lots of extra training for those who have little to no experience.
Cons
Let you go before contract workers and just before you qualify for your bonses.
Great place to work with Great leadership
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Paramus, NJMay 4, 2016
it is great environment to work I came to work everyday excited of the challenges had to bring day in and day out and working with clients was great to meet there need and accomplish the goal and timelines they have set for any project set forth. I must say the leadership helped tremendously in my career development as a professional and to reach new heights within the company
Pros
great Leadship
Cons
alot driving at times
Good Place
Project Accountant-Telecom Division (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 31, 2016
Good place to work. You get what you put into it. If you work hard you will be rewarded for it. I recommend this place for motivated individuals.
Great company to work for
Civil Engineer (Project Engineer) (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVDecember 18, 2015
B&V promotes a great work environment. I had great managers that knew how to get everybody to work well and still make us love them. I loved the family culture cultivated by the company and I had absolutely no complains about it at all.
Decent Co
Quality Management (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSJanuary 23, 2016
Take the good with the bad. The workers are great. Most are professional and friendly. The management varies. HR management is terrible.
Typical 9-5 job in a quiet culture/environment
Database Administrator (contract) (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOApril 19, 2016
Typical duties at Black and Veatch were exclusive to data entry. There was not much opportunity for career advancement and compensation was poor. The company's typical 9-5 working hours allowed for a good work/life balance.
Pros
Work/life balance
Cons
Tedious duties, compensation, work environment
Ok Place to work
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMay 8, 2016
Work is not difficult or challenging though it is sold as such. Everything is just re-working previous projects. Some projects might offer the opportunity to challenge some. Most of the work is busy work to support large projects and not very interesting.
Pros
Competitive Pay
Cons
If you are not in the click you are screwed
Good diversity of different types of work to bid
Senior Electrical and I&C Construction Estimator (Former Employee) –  Centennial, COFebruary 27, 2016
One of the best opportunities to bid on several different type of work here in the US and all over the world, on projects for power generation and transmission lines, water and waste water treatment plants, solar fields to battery charging and storage projects.
Life/ Work balance
Substation Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 28, 2016
Its a great company to work for since it offers great work/life balance. The 9/80 schedule allows people to catch-up on life while still maintaining a good work schedule.
Pros
Work/Life balance, Salary
Cons
Good company with typical bureaucratic systems
Strategic Initiatives Manager (Current Employee) –  Lake Bluff, ILMarch 27, 2015
Your experience will depend on your supervisor's competence. In my case, my supervisor is not a good communicator nor very strong manager.

I am a self-starter, and therefore work on my own a lot without a lot of direction. I do not view a path towards accelerating my career here however, only because my boss doesn't know how to fully leverage my skills to help him grow our business group.

I feel like I could stay here forever if I wasn't very ambitious and make a decent living, but that is not my goal.
Pros
Midwestern values and integrity
Cons
Mediocre pay, benefits and promotion opportunities
Good Workplace
Project Controls Engineer & Budgeting Specialist (Former Employee) –  Palestinian TerritoriesApril 10, 2016
My experience with Black and Veatch was very motivating and high in value. It was one of the best working environments i had throughout my last several jobs.
Black & Veatch is a great company to work for and offers a great family/work balance
Electrical Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 25, 2016
I have worked for Black & Veatch for almost 5 years and I have nothing bad to say about them. They are a great company who treats their employees great.
Great place to work but no stability
Project Controls Associate (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSDecember 20, 2015
I loved working at Black & Veatch. However, employment is project based and they do little to place existing employees on new projects. I really liked my job and working for Black & Veatch. You would think that if they valued existing talent they would take steps to retain it.
Pros
great teamwork atmosphere and pay for performance
Cons
they don't retain existing talent at project completion
Black & Veatch / Project Associate
Project Associate (Current Employee) –  Lake Oswego, ORJanuary 5, 2016
Support Black & Veatch's fast-paced Energy division team to facilitate efficient and effective project delivery. The position encompasses administration, project tracking duties, composing client correspondence, maintaining contact lists, proofreading / editing client presentations and deliverables, and other tasks as assigned.
B&v
Digital Content Specialist, (Former Employee) –  Overland Park, KSSeptember 4, 2015
Fun place to work if you have good co-workers. I did personally, I got along with basically all my team members. Management seemed a bit removed and unaware of things happening until they asked about it. Generation gaps made communicating slightly difficult.
Pros
Flexibility with hours, ability to work from home if needed.
Cons
Management communication methods weren't the best.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black & Veatch. Our community is ready to answer.