Black Bear Diner

Black Bear Diner United States Employee Reviews

Fast-paced environment with great food.
DMO/Maintenance (Former Employee), Mount Shasta, CAFebruary 16, 2015
Pros: fast paced, great food, great people.
Cons: low pay, high stress.
The minute I clock on, I become a human machine. I grab dish tubs, wash dishes, put away dishes, empty garbage, clean restrooms (hourly), clean parking lot, and work on various tasks for cooks and servers.

I learned how to enjoy what I do in a stressful environment.

My managers were tough but fair, professional but friendly.

My coworkers were hard-working and fun.

The hardest part of the job was learning to do a lot of work with little time and equipment.

The most enjoyable part was the people, the hard work, and the fast days.
that place was crazy all the time because their was no help or organization at all
Line Cook/Prep Cook (Former Employee), Fernley, NVFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: no not really anything was good because iwould get overlooked
Cons: when nothing works
I would show up in the morning its nice and quite. But with in the hour everyone would rather watch you go down so they can move in their own pace.
Fast Paced
Prep cook/Baker/Dishwasher (Former Employee), Sacramento, CAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: good food, consistent hours, excellent learning experience
Cons: little to no time for breaks, fast and constant pace
A typical day at BBD would start at 6 am and was a near constant sprint for 8 hours until the end of the shift. As a well loved breakfast diner there was never a slow morning.
I did learn much in regards to breakfast cooking. Many skills i learned there in the proper cooking of various breakfast meals was easily transferred into my everyday life.
As far as management was concerned it was a strange system, in past experience the kitchen is run and answerable to a specified chef who has been extensively trained to be a chef, BBD was quite different. The entirety of the establishment was run under a fine microscope by the General Manager who expressed many times that his experience was predominantly business in nature. So he ran the kitchen like a business. As much as I loved the job, this unusual hierarchy made chain of command a little difficult.
The Coworkers were a mix of ease and difficulty to get along with. Many of the other kitchen staff spoke little to no English, as many were of Hispanic descent. But when communication was possible they were always very helpful and eager to teach me new techniques and i was likewise eager to learn.
The hardest part of the job would unequivocally be the intense pace from start to finish. There was never a free moment to catch my breath and often times I would be forced to take my lunch break right after I clocked in because there would not be any other opportunity during the 8 hour shift.
The most enjoyable part of the job is split between the incredible flow of knowledge provided by my coworkers, and the immense pride from working at a restaurant that all of my friends and family know and love. even family in Idaho would communicate their love of the food at the establishment near them. Something about that just made my chest swell with pride.
Great Tips
Server (Former Employee), Merced, CAJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: tips
Cons: hours
Friendly co-workers and the work was easy and the tips were great.
It was , what it is.
Mason jar (Current Employee), colorado springs, CoJanuary 3, 2015
It was a job. I'd show up and work. I'm completely expendable.
Productive and Busy
Server (Current Employee), Manteca, CADecember 22, 2014
Pros: customers and tips
Cons: breaks
It was busy and you had to problem solve.Management was wonderful always working with you my co-workers helped so much it was so enjoyable. The hardest part was customers at some point and the most enjoyable was the customers as well.
Hostess (Former Employee), Grants Pass, ORDecember 6, 2014
Pros: half off meals
Cons: -
Wonderful environment and great attitudes. That is what makes the restaurant the best. Very friendly staff
Nice environment, good people to work with.
Entertainer (Former Employee), Roseville, CADecember 3, 2014
Easy job to maintain, fun and nice people to work with. Customers really appreciate you. Got to meet new people, and entertain people with dance in a new way.
Not very structured
Hostess/To-Go (Former Employee), West Jordan, UTDecember 1, 2014
Pros: discount on food.
Cons: pay was horrible and no breaks.
A typical work day there wasn't fun at all. I didn't learn much because they aren't very organized. Management was horrible, I didn't like any of the managers. I did like my co-workers they were nice and easy to get along with. The hardest part would be just dealing with the management. The most enjoyable would be making people smile.
Good food, and good attention to customers, family friendly.
Host/Server/Expo/Busboy (Former Employee), West Jordan, UTNovember 10, 2014
Pros: long hours and busy nights
Cons: having to constantly adapt to new management
A typical day of work would be I clock in, go to my station as an expo, check the orders make sure they're all there then run food to tables. I learned that in a fast paced situation you must be calm, cool and collected, I also learned attention to detail. Management was less than satisfactory, at the end of each night we would collect our tips well sometimes there would be no tips for us to collect. So we wouldn't always get the money we've earned, and we were constantly losing managers. The hardest part of my job would have to be trying to pull food and run it (during dinner rush) without a little bit of help. The most enjoyable part would have to be the job itself I loved pulling food and paying attention to detail it kept my mind sharp and my work challenging.
I did not like managent for this company
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee), Merced, CAOctober 11, 2014
my typical work day here was tuff. there was very poor management
great server job
Shift Supevisor, Server (Former Employee), Davis, CASeptember 18, 2014
Decent staff, good ownership but high GM turnover. Making it a difficult work place at times..
Fun and outgoing
Waitress (Former Employee), Gilroy, CAJune 29, 2014
Had a great time with customers, learned how too train other employees, co workers were very friendly.
detail oriented
Expo/Server (Former Employee), Manteca, CaJune 13, 2014
fast-paced work environment
always making sure your customers are taking care of
making sure food displayed correctly
Overall summary
Restaurant Manager (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAMay 18, 2014
Typically I wear many hats, everything from dishwashing to running the front of the house. I learned how to encourage teamwork and more time management skills than I already have. My coworkers are hardworking, but due to management trying to cut labor, we are always understaffed.
Fun environment, friendly guests
Waitress/Cashier (Former Employee), Torrance, CAMay 9, 2014
Pros: close to home
Cons: hard to get shifts
Fun filled environment and staff, excellent quality of food and very fasted paced....downfall hard to receive hours and no benefits offered. Management can be a little hard to talk to but once you do and they realize the type of person you are its easier to approach certain managers with certain questions and concerns
A lot to learn
Prep cook/Baker (Former Employee), Emeryville, CAApril 16, 2014
Pros: lots of knowledge gained
Cons: not enough growth within company
There was a lot that went in to a days work. The hardest part was prepping enough for the day.
Busy cool bear restaurant
Server/Host (Former Employee), Sandy, UTMarch 27, 2014
It was always very busy which I liked. Management was always changing and the turnover rate was very high. We were always getting new people and firing others. Most of the people that came in were tourists or regulars which I liked because I enjoy hearing their stories.
Productive and fun place to work
Head Baker (Former Employee), Merced, CAJanuary 4, 2014
Pros: am shift
Cons: under estimted
A typical day at work making baked goods, I learned how to do things their way, management could be better, co workers were very competitive, the hardest part was dealing with the Spanish speaking people. The best part I was head baker.
very productive
Hostess (Former Employee), Vallejo, CAJanuary 2, 2014
Pros: lunch time discount
Cons: not enough space in the break room
A typical day at work started with making sure my area was clean and ready to work in. After all that was taken care of I greeted customers and seated them to their liking at the best of my ability, depending on how full the restaurant was at the time. I learned to try and keep a smile on my face no matter how my day is going because it attracts customers. There were a lot of different people working at this job so my co-workers were pretty easy going and didn't hesitate to ask for help. The hardest part of the job was taking a break from hosting and actually waiting the tables. The most enjoyable part of the job was having small but filling conversations with the customers as well as staff members.

Black Bear Diner Salaries