Black Bear Diner Employee Reviews in United States

I loved working for Black Bear Diner
Server (Former Employee) –  Olympia, WAJuly 22, 2016
This was such a fun and challenging position. I had the opportunity to work with some amazing coworkers and I miss this position greatly. Unfortunately, due to lease issues the restaurant in my town was forced to close. If they opened up another Black Bear I would definitely reapply! Black Bear Olympia please come back. So many people miss you.
Pros
Awesome tips, wonderful coworkers and management, and busy!
Cons
No benefits.
Very poor management.
Server and Hostess (Current Employee) –  Freemont caJuly 7, 2016
Very bad experience working at this particular location
Owners are afraid to fire bad performers, so anybody can do whatever they want, including a particular manager sleeping with servers ,no benefits very unpleasant environment, very dirty cooks and kitchen. I am leaving as soon as I find something close.
Pros
Absolutely no pros in this organization.
Cons
Lots of pressure, favoritism, very low moral.
Not very good
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Fremont, CAJune 23, 2016
Bad management, unorganized, poor breaks, chaotic. Hardest part of the job was learning how to do the simplest tasks because to begin with nobody would help you with anything, and when someone did they weren't sure what they were doing themselves. Very busy, kind customers, but the work environment was inappropriate and unprofessional.
Black Bear
Cashier/Server (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CAJune 3, 2016
Black Bear overall was a fun job . I was always meeting new people . I started off as a hostess then got promoted to being a server . I loved making sure all my guest were happy and was always trying to upsell.
Team and family orientated
FOOD SERVER (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAMay 31, 2016
Fun atmosphere team orientated management friendy and caring. Fast paced work.Flexible hours great food tips a plus. Friendly staff
Pros
FLEXIBLE HOURS TIPS
Cons
STRESSFUL
It's a diner, what do you expect?
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAMay 23, 2016
Fun company culture, average working conditions, upper management out of touch with front line employees, no benefits, average compensation
Really nice and friendly working atmosphere.
Host and Cashier (Current Employee) –  Fremont, CAMay 18, 2016
Really nice place to work at but gets a little difficult when busy.Good service and friendly co-workers. New skills are learned such as communication. Experience in the food and restaurant industry
Pros
Food discounts and paid sick days
Cons
Short brakes
Reliable Job
Line Cook (Current Employee) –  Madera, CA 93637May 6, 2016
Job security is based on your work ethic. Fast Paced. You earn what your worth. Fun environment.Stressful. Not much free time.
Pros
Decent Pay
Cons
Lot of work
Family Restaurant
HOST/ CASHIER (Former Employee) –  Hayward, CAApril 18, 2016
Great for part time students or people looking for extra money. You will meet many students families and people who are looking for a good homey meal. Good customer service is required.
Fast Paced and Has to be timed right
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Klamath Falls, ORApril 2, 2016
A typical day consisted of managing my time and the sequence in which to do things so I didn't have to stay any later then normal hours. I got a system down eventually, and my co workers were all really good people and helped along the way with anything I didn't already pick up on my own. The hardest part of the week was weekends or special events that were happening because things would get really busy and hectic. It always made my work go by extremely fast and I enjoyed being able to go and do something everyday to keep my time occupied and my pockets full.
Pros
Helpful Managment
Cons
The pay isn't as great for how hard it got sometimes.
Family Diner with great work/life balance
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Davis, CAMarch 11, 2016
The hardest part of the job was not being able to accommodate everyone's needs from the employees to the customers. Management was very flexible with scheduling around my schooling and my coworkers were always a blast to be around. I learned how to manage a team of many different personalities while ensuring the increase of sales and profits.
The workplace is exhausting and by far one of the most mentally taxing jobs to keep up with, but enjoyable.
Server (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTMarch 5, 2016
The environment is overall very friendly, and most of my coworkers are great to be around. Serving many different types of people, I have been able to read a person off of the first time speaking to them. The management is in good hands, although at times a bit unprofessional. The hardest part of this job is keeping all the different things you have to do on your mind, and in a specific order. The most enjoyable part of this job is the ability to make someone's day, just by being their server.
Pros
Half price meal, encouraging environment.
Cons
Little chance for advancement, intense workload on the weekends, unlikelihood of going home at a set time on any day.
Like a second family.
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Mount Shasta, CA 96067February 10, 2016
I've worked at Black Bear Diner for almost six years. It became like a second family to me. The employees are assistfull of each others and everyone gets a long for the most part. Very helpful when getting through the day.
Productive fast-paced environmnet
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COFebruary 5, 2016
Wonderful and fun place to work! Coworkers were informative and helpful and the customers are amazing. I love the atmosphere. It is very fast-paced and interesting. I learned a lot working here.
Pros
Repeating, loyal customers
Not bad
Server (Current Employee) –  Walnut Creek, CAJanuary 30, 2016
It has great potential and 90% of the time it is a great work place. Recommended but hard to get job there. Management is poor but hopefully there will be improvement
Very professional yet fun environment to work in.
Dish Washer (Current Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJanuary 19, 2016
Working at Black Bear dinner was a very pleasant experience. Typically working long hours can be over powering to certain people, but the staff there was extremely selfless and had no problem helping you with task. Being a dish washer is pretty self explanatory, although striving to do more is in my nature. When the dishes were slow I'd go to the front and help out the busser, or take out the trash. I forget the mangers name who hired, but I do remember he was always polite, and encouraged promoting within and even suggested me telling some friends about open positions. Furthermore closing was like a box of chocolates, you never truly new what you were going to get. One day it went smooth and you'd be able to get home early enough to enjoy a glass of wine and a movie. When other nights you might as well not even clock out because you'll be staying until your next shift anyway. With that being said that never stopped me from having a positive attitude, I made good friends with most co-workers, I'll say there the part of the job I miss most.
Pros
The Hours
Cons
Certain staff members
is like a family affair
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CADecember 25, 2015
is a great place to be part of!! I learned a great deal of entrepreneurs planning and execution of a new venue.
I learned how to run the BOH as well as FOH. promotions & marketing.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
is extremely busy
fun place
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Vallejo, CADecember 18, 2015
busy during the all day
the clientele culture is different from any other food venue
ok
hard working people
getting up early.
the people and ownership.
Pros
flexible schedule
Great Bear and Bacon
Server (Current Employee) –  Colorado SpringsNovember 10, 2015
Excellent food and great portions. Positive energy. Family like employee relationships. Great management skills. Skilled cooks. good location close to I-25.
Pros
Great schedule
Cons
no health insurance
Good job over all
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COOctober 19, 2015
I enjoyed my job and the friendly staff. The work environment was positive and was a learning experience and would recommend friends and family to work there.

2.9