Black Bear Diner Employee Reviews

Nice diner, not reliable
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Gilbert, AZJune 22, 2017
Never given enough hours, nice diner and other workers were nice. Enjoyed my job but was never given enough hours or notice when available to work. People were nice also.
Food Server/Cashier/hostess (Former Employee) –  Pleasanton, CAJune 17, 2017
The atmosphere/management and over all work experience was excllent.
The compensation and gratuity was a plus.
Mu team a d management were excellent people to work with. I wiuld work here again.
Good people fun to be around.
Dishwasher/Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 13, 2017
I worked at this job as a dishwasher but it was only part time. The ppl were great & most of the managers were pretty cool. But the wage stays the same & there is no raises.
Pros
Good ppl
Cons
No raises
Management sucks
Host (Former Employee) –  Davis, CAJune 1, 2017
Working with the crew was fun, however; the assistant manager is always there hovering over you and picking at your every flaw or just degrading you as worker. Scheduling was always a problem.
Pros
50% off food
Cons
Fun work place with great quality food
Waitress (Current Employee) –  Citrus Heights, CAMay 31, 2017
A day at work is always different, I have learn how the restaurant life should be, its a young staff but fun. hardest part is never having weekends or holidays off and I like that the employees are friendly.
Pros
half of food
Cons
never know when you get off
Excellent
Host/Server (Former Employee) –  Saint George, UTMay 24, 2017
Great food on giant portions. Black Bear Diner is perfect family restaurant that will meet every bodies taste buds. The staff and crew are hard working and kind hearted people.
Pros
Great food
Cons
Addicting
Didn't work all throughout the restaurant. But it is definitely a great place for a first time job.
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMay 10, 2017
When I worked here I was at dishes, some meal prep, and very little serving. Never really trained me, but quick to catch on what to do during the day. But when it came time to close, no one taught me how to correctly do it for a month and a half. Meal prep I was correctly trained and had a blast prepping meals. Mellow and work on your own pace. I never wanted to work as a full time server because at the time I didn't want to memorize the entire menu because I didn't know how long I was going to work there. Everyone that worked there was very friendly, and good workers.
Pros
If cooks mess up on plates you get them, extra food is also yours, great opportunities for advancement in the back house.
Cons
Training was pretty poor, towards the end management changed and was pretty bad. Most people I worked with quit within a week.
Fast paced environment
Host/Server (Current Employee) –  Suisun City, CAMay 9, 2017
Working at Black Bear Diner for the past 2 years I have learned to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks at once. I have always been a team player and that helps the shift go by efficiently. The management at Black Bear is amazing, much like a family environment, they care about my education and always want to see me succeed.
Pros
felxible schedule
Blah
Server (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 4, 2017
I worked at BBD for about a year to a year and a half and I felt like they didn't care about me as an employee and I feel like it's important to be treated fairly.
Pros
Great tips, amazing customers
Cons
Horrible management, favoritism, retaliation!
Fun work place
Hostess (Current Employee) –  Saint George, UTMay 2, 2017
Black Bear Diner has been an awesome experience to work at I started there three months ago and I started out as a hostess working there and eventually wanting to move up as a server which I could because they work you hard and they keep you on task and if you don't have anything to do they give you something to do. What I did was bus tables seat people and took cash register. I'm normally on cash because I'm fast at it and I get the job done.
Pros
Half off food
Cons
The pay
Fine place
Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Gresham, ORApril 27, 2017
Workplace was comfortable, I enjoy it more as a customer, great workers always in a fast pace with a good attitude. Very great manners towards one another.
Fun and easy
Hostess/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COApril 25, 2017
Being a hostess was fairly easy. to be honest you really don't do much. All you do is sit people at tables, clean up tables that just got up and making sure things are cleaned and stocked. and usually during the busy times there are multiple people working with you so you don't even have to do all of that.
Good for weekends
Hostess (Former Employee) –  Manteca, CAApril 23, 2017
Being a hostess was okay. I got to meet a lot of cool customers and other employees. It was a good starting job and really helped me to learn to take initiative and get things going. It was a lot of stuff to do at once (greet and seat, ring up customers, clean area, roll silverware, etc) and you had to decide what was priority.

However, the employees are very competitive and can be rude. The managers don't try to help you, they just yell at you in front of everyone (the main manager was very nice, she helped). The hours were poor.
Pros
discounted lunch, nice customers
Fun workplace
Server (Current Employee) –  Gilroy, CAApril 20, 2017
Good communication skills fast paced environment great people cleaning your own table pre bus table greeting customers dealing with cash and helping others
The money is good but you really have to work hard for it
Server (Former Employee) –  American Fork, UTApril 3, 2017
as long as you can work hard and do not mind getting food on your clothes then you can work at black bear and you should do just fine. harder you work more money you make.
Pros
good money
Cons
no breaks hard work not guaranteed income
Productive fun work environment
Dishwasher/Busser (Former Employee) –  San Ramon, CAMarch 29, 2017
It was a great place to work the dishwashing was challenging and fun. I learned a lot of new things for this was my first job. I learned how to work hard, be professional, and be a team player.
Pros
50% off food, lots of learning opportunities
Cons
Short breaks and late night hours
High Maintenance and stressful days
Highly motivated Host (Current Employee) –  Avondale, AZMarch 22, 2017
Very fast paced and easy place to work if your coming in on a weekend to make the money and go home. But once it gets down to the needy greedy you will never get the days off you request even months in advance and they could care less about your personal life. New server got hired and since she is the daughter of a well known cook there she gets better shifts than the veterans at the restaurant, talk about unfair. The job itself is not to hard, but management makes things harder than they have to be, and everyone is getting tired of all the managers lies and fake promises.
Pros
As a server you get paid everynight you work.
Cons
No breaks, rude managment
minimum pay with unreliable hours
Host, Prep-Cook, Cook, Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Glendale, AZMarch 18, 2017
a typical work day, i came in prepped my station for work then would continue my daily duties as a dishwasher and would step in as a cook when needed. I learned to deal with unruly costumers and coworkers in a polite and professional manner. my manager was always professional and kind. my coworkers were not reliable but created a fun work environment. the hardest part of the job was never knowing what days i was working and never knowing if i was working. the most enjoyable part of the job was the friends i made working there.
Pros
employ discount
Cons
unreliable work schedules and coworkers
Outstanding Leadership
Assistant General Manager - Front of the House (Former Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVMarch 14, 2017
Black Bear Diner is a wonderful story of two guys and a dream. They convince you that anything is possible and make you feel valued and cared for.You will be happy
Great Food
Host, Cashier (Former Employee) –  Boise, IDMarch 6, 2017
I only worked for this company for 2 months. the reason for that was because of the lack of pay and hours. I felt that management didn't care about certain personal situations.
Pros
Great food
Cons
Hours and Pay, Management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black Bear Diner. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8