Black Box Network Services Employee Reviews

Good Compensation/Benefits
Senior Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 26, 2017
Black Box compensates well but lacks concrete directives to their employees. Constant changes in management and company direction makes for a stressful work environment.
Pros
Cons
CEO makes decisions based on personal believes not necessarily on what is best for the company
A company they could support Global and Enteprise accounts. Well versed in collobaration.
Senior Account Executive-Mid Enterprise (Former Employee) –  Blue Bell, PASeptember 6, 2017
Transitional company. New CEO. New hire had went through two directors, one VP of sales and three managers in less than a year. Good on board training. Great people to work with.
Pros
Global Company - Great people
Cons
To much transition
Workplace Culture
Pricing Analyst/Sr. Finance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 27, 2017
I love the culture at Black Box. It is a work hard/play hard type of company. Your managers are just as loyal to you as you are to them. We work very long hours but are compensated by our managers ordering dinner in or giving us the next day off if needed.
Very productive
Facility Security Officer/Security Admin/CPSO/CSSO (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 27, 2017
Excellent working environment, individuals always willing to assist each other, CEO always willing to discuss job and wanted to know if there was any way to improve.
Pros
Free lunches sometimes
Cons
Short suspenses sometimes
Changing Organization
Project Manager, Information Technology Department (Former Employee) –  Edina, MNAugust 26, 2017
Black Box was undergoing multiple leadership changes and consolidation. This often led to backstabbing and fighting between organization where politics often won out over the best solution. However, if the changes are successfully implemented this could be a positive place to work.
Pros
Good people at local office
Cons
Very political.
great teaching environment
RFP Consultant (temporary consultant role) (Former Employee) –  Herndon, VAAugust 10, 2017
One of my teachers from a Graduate class was impressed with my work and offered my this temporary consulting role to assist him in preparing a response to an Air Force RFP. This RFP detailed the design of a future global network. This was an amazing experience for me simply because I was visiting vendors in the DC Metro area to gather information to use in report writing.
Pros
Learning new iinformation to use in report writing.
Cons
Company that is unsure of where it is going
Sr. Network Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 29, 2017
The last 2 years at Black Box have been very stressful with a significant number of changes made by upper management without a full understanding of how the changes effect the rest of the company or employees. Black Box used to be a great place to work, but now I would not recommend it.
Poorly run organization
Technical Support (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, PAJuly 27, 2017
Poorly run organization that is struggling to find their role in the post-catalog world. Too many individuals with an old-world mindset, and no investment in improvement.

Very poor workplace culture, with a stereotypical "Make the sale by any means necessary mentality". Long term performance is regularly cast aside for the short term gain of a single order.
Pros
Free lunch, decent pay
Cons
Poor culture, Poor communication, disconnected leadership
Free lunch.
Payroll Associate (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, PAJuly 27, 2017
I met a lot of nice people working there. Some I still am in touch with. Nice bonuses given after you are there a year, but they are selective on who they give them to. Not enough training given when they brought in a new system. They have a cafeteria, and provide free lunches daily, as lunch is only a half hour.
No strategy in a dying market
Executive Vice President of Sales & Marketing (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, PAJuly 18, 2017
I would not recommend working there.

Many years ago it was a growing company with a solid strategy. The integration of the 100's of acquisitions was made too late. The market is dying and there is no corporate strategy for growth.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No corporate strategy, cost management is the focus, bonus rarely paid
no opportunity for advancement
CSR/DISPATCHER (Current Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 12, 2017
Workforce reduction happened multiple times in 1yr

Working multiple roles with no pay increase

Ability to work from home is a plus but working 60+ hrs a week does not allow for balance in work/life.
Company being killed by leadership
Manager (Former Employee) –  Lawrence, PAJuly 7, 2017
Black Box was a strong and valuable part of the IT explosion, but it has been driven into the ground by poor leadership. Leaders are unethical and self-serving, with results falling very quickly.

There is nothing special about acquisition of low cost product from China, putting a Black Box sticker on it, and reselling it to catalog distributors who are buying these same products. Strange.

The Marketing of the company is terrible, and getting worse.
Pros
Historical reputation and a great Federal business
Cons
Leadership in the products groups
Company promotes sexism
Engineer (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 4, 2017
The benefits are nice and I am able to work from home. However, when it comes to training and advancement, opportunities are not equally distributed. Because the department I worked in promoted and endulged in sexism, I can only conclude that the company promotes this behavoir. I have worked for a company that truely believed in equal opportunity. In comparison, the department I work in at Black Box is completely the opposite. Lastly, I have not had a cost of living raise in years.
Benefits
Cons
Not an equal opportunity employer
Productive place to work
Telecommunications Technician (Former Employee) –  Woodland Hills, CAJuly 2, 2017
Great place to work. I enjoyed the people I worked with. I worked independently. Enjoyed my job and my responsibilities. My boss was a very fair person.
Pros
Every now and then free lunch.
Cons
The drive in traffic to Woodland Hills.
going down hill
Senior Service Technician / Case Owner (Former Employee) –  Brecksville, OHJuly 2, 2017
once was a great company , the customer is no longer the most important aspect of business, the "numbers / bottom line" is. use mostly untrained sub contractors in many cases to support customers
Pros
Cons
pay
A fun but yet a stressful to work
COMMERICAL COLLECTIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee) –  Murfreesboro, TNJune 12, 2017
I loved working with my customers!! Over a 10 year period I had formed relationships with them where they knew they could call me about any invoice problem and I would do my best to get it corrected one way or another.

I learned to interact with all types of people from different cultures.

The hardest part of the job was telling a customer an invoice could not be credited per management, and they would have to pay it.

The most enjoyable part of my job was my boss who was the Credit/Collections Manager!! She was Fabulous! She wouldn't ask you to do something that she herself wouldn't do. If the task was large, she always pitched in and helped everyone involved achieve the goal! She was family oriented and very positive!
Pros
Good Employee Benefits
Cons
Pay freeze went into effect 4 years ago & is still in effect
Terrible managment
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  FloridaJune 7, 2017
Was a great place to work until upper management converted all the smaller companies they acquired over to a unified system. There was a steady decline in business because they lost focus on small to medium sized customers and only went after big contracts. Ever since they converted they have layoffs almost every year now. They also do not push new sales for small to medium business which was the bread and butter of the smaller companies they acquired. Customers abandoned ship because they felt they did not matter anymore and management could care less if they were a small company.
Pros
Good pay while employed
Cons
Short lived employment and would not recommend working here.
People are great, business direction is changing for the better
Channel Strategy & Development Manager (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMay 8, 2017
Good company. People are wonderful to work with. The company is embarking on some exciting business changes for the positive. The CEO is driving positive change.
Pros
Work/Life balance
Cons
Process heavy
SENIOR TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Southern CaliforniaApril 24, 2017
A fantastic experience, I would recommend them to anyone.
Unfortunately their customer based vanished in my area.
They had to lay me off due to lack of work in my area but that was the direction the company was headed.
Great job... very supportive team and management.
Subject Matter Expert / Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 14, 2017
Great job... very supportive team and management. It was very exciting to work with such a professional team. Even if sent to a site alone, the remote support was always there.