Black Hawk College Employee Reviews

Awesome Personal Experience with Coworkers
Scribe (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILAugust 21, 2017
The staff is always so welcoming, whether a fellow coworker or just a student wandering along campus. Always a friendly face to help out and people are always to give tips to help one another truly thrive in this workspace.
Nice place to get your degree
Full Time Student (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILAugust 10, 2017
Everything is new in the Health Sciences Building....It is beautiful.
Instructors are nice and helpful.
Need more hands on training in the nursing program.
People are friendly.
Risk Management & Internal Audit Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Quad CitiesJuly 17, 2017
Typical day was working with a variety of internal and external customers.
No prior experience needed in some management positions.
Work environment can be enjoyable depending on the department you work in; there is a lot of community participation.
The culture of the College tends to change with the College's management.
Most enjoyable part of the job is meeting and working with the students and faculty members.
Pros
People are friendly. Off on holidays. Good benefits.
Cons
Not encouraged to self-educate. State funding affects employment.
Associate Professor
Coordinator Certified Nursing Assistant Program (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJune 25, 2017
Taught classroom and clinical with fundamental nursing students in an associates nursing program.
Worked in nursing lab to teach skills prior to clinical in hospitals
Decent place to work
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILMay 11, 2017
Overall good place to work. Good work life balance, fun culture, dedicated employees, helpful HR department, and up to date technology. Annual increases and out of class pay guaranteed for unions but not for non union employees. No additional increases for going above and beyond unless you work directly for the head of finance, despite the budget and layoffs.
Pros
Free tuition, inexpensive benefits, great employees, engaged HR department
Cons
Union heavy and low wages
college
Phlebotomy technician (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJanuary 9, 2017
Has a great education system. Teachers are good at doing their job. I also like it that the classes are a little far because it is good exercise walking to class.
Pros
everything basically
Cons
parking lot
Work Study
Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILDecember 9, 2016
There is many different areas for employment at BHC. There is admissions, librarian, payroll, you name it and they have it.
Fun place to work
Accounting Clerk I (Current Employee) –  6600 34th aveJune 27, 2016
Love my job and co workers. My supervisor is very accommodating when it comes to family time off. I would love to continue working here if they had a full time position open for me.
Fun Workplace
Computer Lab Assistant and Computer Tutor (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILMay 13, 2016
I start by opening up the lab and turning on all the computers. I then make sure that all supplies are stocked for the day. Then when students come in I assist them in their learning process. I help them understand their assignments and help teach them the skills they need to succeed.
Pros
Meet and help new people everyday.
Cons
Sometimes it is cold in the lab.
I enjoyed my time at Black Hawk. I made many contacts both professional and personal working there.
Career Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILDecember 1, 2015
I was the face of the college. I helped people with directions and questions about the campus.
Answered phones (multi line switchboard)
Helped with projects from start to finish (organization, documentation, etc.)
A good school, but not a good place to work.
Assisting grounds crew (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILAugust 27, 2015
A typical day at work was looking on the work-board to see what new and possibly dangerous duties (such as using ride on mowers on extremely treacherous terrain with hills at nearly a 90 degree angle without having any of protections of being an employee) had been added to my work-load. Being continually complained at by bookstore employees and administrators about things not getting cleaned up because I didn't have enough time to do it with only 11 hours a week of work. I learned that B.H.C. not only doesn't treat it's actual employees very well, (moved all janitorial to 3rd shift and then complained daily things weren't getting cleaned up) it treats work-study students even worse. My direct co-workers were nice and friendly, but many of the Bookstore workers and administrators were some of the rudest people I have ever encountered. The hardest part of the job was doing as much as I could during 11 hours a week of work after being cut down from 31 hours a week to listen daily to administrators complaining about something not getting done. The most enjoyable part was being able to work by myself at a steady pace as long as I stayed busy.
Pros
Some friendly co-workers, being able to work where I attend school.
Cons
Hours cut to nothing, Extremely rude administrators, Continually trying to add new and dangerous duties to my workload.
Rewarding experience
Student Nurse (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILApril 7, 2015
As A student nurse at Black Hawk College, I was successfully able to gain the insight, knowledge and skills required to become a nurse. I was able to learn and apply critical thinking skills towards my patients. The hardest part of the job is losing patients to an illness, this is by far, the hardest part of the job. The most enjoyable was being able to connect with patients and offer them something more that just robotic healthcare. Being able to be a helping hand, or just listening to them goes a long way.
Office Assistant
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rock Island, ILMarch 16, 2015
Front Desk Office Assistant interacts with students and staff. Answer questions. Co-workers were great and encouraging. Management was encouraging.
Pros
The people I worked with, both staff and students.
Great Environment
Accounting Clerk - Bursar (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILMarch 6, 2015
Unique culture, great place to work. Everyone is a teamplayer, there is no "that's not my job" attitude. Benefits are great with plenty of paid time off and general holidays.
A wonderful learning and teaching experience
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  Kewanee, ILFebruary 27, 2015
I am very grateful for the time I have spent with Black Hawk Community Education Center. I was given the opportunity to learn and help others learn. I truly wish that my position has not come to a time allotted end. I met and worked with an amazing variety of people and feel I learned so much with them and about them.
Pros
Working at a place designed to help you learn while working there.
Cons
I cannot really think of any.
Educational, fun job with travel
Ambassador (Former Employee) –  Galva, ILNovember 4, 2014
Job description:
Traveled to high schools in surrounding areas and recruited for Black Hawk College, made and ran power point sides and presentations, organized, set up and ran recruiting tables at conferences and conventions, helped set up and run open houses, entered prospective student data onto excel for mailing and contacting information

I learned the different angles of recruiting high school students to college

The management was helpful in providing resources and educating workers on recruiting.

The co-workers were hard workers and fun to work with.

The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know and build friendships with the people that enrolled to the college I was recruiting for.
Friendly staff
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 7, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with students from around the world.
Career that is challenging and rewarding
Intern for Career Services (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILNovember 30, 2013
Liberal environment that allows for creativity and intercultural communication.
Pros
Liberal
Cons
Low wages
Great place to work and wonderful to interact with young college students!
Facilities & ITS Departments Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILNovember 21, 2013
A typical day at work was anything but typical! There really was no "boilerplate" one could write that would describe this job as it was ever changing. Even so, doing the same tasks on the same days of each week would be boring! It was challenging but there were aspects of the job that I absolutely enjoyed doing and a few that I did not.

I learned a lot about the college's finance system by working closely with the Finance Department. Any one of them was always willing to sit down and explain anything to anyone who was truly interested in learning.

I enjoyed working in the ITS and Facilities Departments as my co-workers were great to work with and also to learn from. While I have extensive knowledge of how to be an Office Assistant, I always try to learn as much as possible about my employer and functions of the department(s) I work in. I would not say that I am able to function as an IT Manager, but by asking questions of certain co-workers, I learned quite a bit about how ITS functions! I also learned a lot about Project Management from both the Facilities and ITS sides of each project - and there were a lot of capital projects going on at the college while I was there - and became very familiar with the day-to-day workings of the Maintenance, Grounds and Custodial sub-departments of Facilities.

The hardest part of the job was juggling the many capital projects and trying to keep track of Facility expenditures as well as ITS expenditures for the same project as well as the day-to-day general expenditures.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the little
  more... bit of interaction I had with quite a few students of all ages, backgrounds, and diversity. I take great pleasure in knowing that I touched the lives of these folks even if just for a semester or two - and they also touched mine.  less
Pros
Free use of the fitness center and free lunchtime exercise classes
Cons
Turnover of employees was high including upper management.
Busy office makes for a fast day!
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILJuly 22, 2013
I initially took this position to lend a hand while the office transitioned to using a brand new program in which they had to completely change their entire system of operation. I did a lot of data entry and then began doing general clerical duties as they extended my stay. My coworkers were pretty helpful, some were uncertain of my job position but, others helped me to fit in just fine during the duration of my employment. There weren't too many difficult parts to this job. I enjoyed this position very much.
Pros
Positve environment, great learning experience.
Cons
Temporary Position