Black Hawk College

Black Hawk College Employer Reviews

Friendly staff
Teacher (Current Employee), Moline, ILJuly 7, 2014
The most enjoyable part of the job is interacting with students from around the world.
Career that is challenging and rewarding
Intern for Career Services (Current Employee), Moline, ILNovember 30, 2013
Pros: liberal
Cons: low wages
Liberal environment that allows for creativity and intercultural communication.
Great place to work and wonderful to interact with young college students!
Facilities & ITS Departments Assistant (Former Employee), Moline, ILNovember 21, 2013
Pros: free use of the fitness center and free lunchtime exercise classes
Cons: turnover of employees was high including upper management.
A typical day at work was anything but typical! There really was no "boilerplate" one could write that would describe this job as it was ever changing. Even so, doing the same tasks on the same days of each week would be boring! It was challenging but there were aspects of the job that I absolutely enjoyed doing and a few that I did not.

I learned – more... a lot about the college's finance system by working closely with the Finance Department. Any one of them was always willing to sit down and explain anything to anyone who was truly interested in learning.

I enjoyed working in the ITS and Facilities Departments as my co-workers were great to work with and also to learn from. While I have extensive knowledge of how to be an Office Assistant, I always try to learn as much as possible about my employer and functions of the department(s) I work in. I would not say that I am able to function as an IT Manager, but by asking questions of certain co-workers, I learned quite a bit about how ITS functions! I also learned a lot about Project Management from both the Facilities and ITS sides of each project - and there were a lot of capital projects going on at the college while I was there - and became very familiar with the day-to-day workings of the Maintenance, Grounds and Custodial sub-departments of Facilities.

The hardest part of the job was juggling the many capital projects and trying to keep track of Facility expenditures as well as ITS expenditures for the same project as well as the day-to-day general expenditures.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the little bit of interaction I had with quite a few students of all ages, backgrounds, and diversity. I take great pleasure in knowing that I touched the lives of these folks even if just for a semester or two - and they also touched mine. – less
Busy office makes for a fast day!
Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee), Moline, ILJuly 22, 2013
Pros: positve environment, great learning experience.
Cons: temporary position
I initially took this position to lend a hand while the office transitioned to using a brand new program in which they had to completely change their entire system of operation. I did a lot of data entry and then began doing general clerical duties as they extended my stay. My coworkers were pretty helpful, some were uncertain of my job position but, – more... others helped me to fit in just fine during the duration of my employment. There weren't too many difficult parts to this job. I enjoyed this position very much. – less
Great Place to Work
Administrative (Current Employee), Moline, ILDecember 1, 2012
Great work environment with productive staff. Everyone is very friendly and highly professional. Staff/faculty maintain a great relationship with students and other members. Always a pleasant place to be.
Great if you have a master's degree
English as a Second Language Instructor (Current Employee), Moline, ILJuly 17, 2012
Pros: getting to meet such a diverse population
Cons: no master's degree, no full time work
I have worked for BHC for a total of 17 years, and I have loved almost every minute of it. I teach English as a Second Language to international students from all countries of the world. I teach grammar, pronunciation, writing, and reading. The ESL Coordinator and International Coordinator are the best people I have ever worked with in my entire life, – more... and my only regret is that I never got my master's degree when I had the chance. Now I can work as many adjunct hours as they give me, but I can never be full time or get benefits. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the students learn idioms and understand Americans better than they ever have before. – less
I totally enjoyed my job working with businesses
IL/PTAC Office Specialist (Former Employee), Moline, ILApril 11, 2012
Pros: free credit hours, awesome people to work with
Cons: pay below business standards
I had the best boss in the world. I worked with incredible businesses and enjoyed every minute of every day. I wish I had never left.
Supervisor and I became friends
Assistant to Graphic Designer (Former Employee), Moline, ILApril 10, 2012
Pros: friendly, encouraging atmosphere
Cons: worked it in between classes & full time job, travel time
Lamination of posters, etc for different departments of the college,
organizing and cleaning supervisors work space. watered her many plants, I worked in the office with other graphic designers and assisted them with there work spaces some as well.

About Black Hawk College

Black Hawk College is providing three free seminars in May on alternative energy choices. The first two seminars will be Saturday, – Read more