Black Hawk College Employee Review

View all Black Hawk College reviews

Great place to work and wonderful to interact with young college students!
Facilities & ITS Departments Assistant (Former Employee) –  Moline, ILNovember 21, 2013
A typical day at work was anything but typical! There really was no "boilerplate" one could write that would describe this job as it was ever changing. Even so, doing the same tasks on the same days of each week would be boring! It was challenging but there were aspects of the job that I absolutely enjoyed doing and a few that I did not.

I learned a lot about the college's finance system by working closely with the Finance Department. Any one of them was always willing to sit down and explain anything to anyone who was truly interested in learning.

I enjoyed working in the ITS and Facilities Departments as my co-workers were great to work with and also to learn from. While I have extensive knowledge of how to be an Office Assistant, I always try to learn as much as possible about my employer and functions of the department(s) I work in. I would not say that I am able to function as an IT Manager, but by asking questions of certain co-workers, I learned quite a bit about how ITS functions! I also learned a lot about Project Management from both the Facilities and ITS sides of each project - and there were a lot of capital projects going on at the college while I was there - and became very familiar with the day-to-day workings of the Maintenance, Grounds and Custodial sub-departments of Facilities.

The hardest part of the job was juggling the many capital projects and trying to keep track of Facility expenditures as well as ITS expenditures for the same project as well as the day-to-day general expenditures.

The most enjoyable part of my job was the little
  more... bit of interaction I had with quite a few students of all ages, backgrounds, and diversity. I take great pleasure in knowing that I touched the lives of these folks even if just for a semester or two - and they also touched mine.  less
Pros
Free use of the fitness center and free lunchtime exercise classes
Cons
Turnover of employees was high including upper management.

Other Black Hawk College Employee Reviews

Poor administration turned the poor college into a burning house. ESCAPE!
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Moline and Kewanee ILFebruary 16, 2018
The poor college was rundown by an incompetent presidency into a ghost institution. In a span of 3-4 years the college sacked over 50 full-time faculty (even tenured)and other staff. The college went from 5 deans to 1 "executive" dean, 3 VPs to 1 VP, lost many other senior positions, shut down Fine Arts department, geology, Veterinary and Small Business Development Center just to name a few. Looking for a faculty, staff or admin job? Someone went into a sacking frenzy to settle imaginary scores or whatever. DON'T EVEN COME WITHIN 10 MILES OF THIS COLLEGE
Pros
Typical community College
Cons
Zero job security, tenured or not!
Nice ambience and full of social interactions
Book Clerk (Current Employee) –  Moline, ILJanuary 24, 2018
It's usually busy. The other workers and work together well but there is drama there. I basically learned how to retrieve certain books corresponding to the students booklist. Also, I would assist customers in task or any questions they may have about the campus or other information.