Black Hills Corporation

Black Hills Corporation Employee Reviews in United States

Good job
maintance man (Former Employee) –  Montrose, COJune 28, 2016
I meet with customers and bid new jobs and did quotes. Ran equipment to dig in lines. Did locates when needed. Did maintenance on lines if needed. Best part of the job was it was hard work but good work. I liked working with the customers and the other team members.
Productive and empowering culture.
Senior Director, Financial Planning and Analysis (Former Employee) –  Golden, COApril 24, 2016
1. Limited corporate politics.
2. Opportunity for growth.
3. Strong management team.
4. Collaborative team atmosphere.
5. Can do attitude with employees.
6. Strong IT and Finance departments.
7. Good benefits and lower than average salaries.
8. Sold to Black Hills Energy.
Pros
Growing company with promising opportunities.
Cons
Sold to Black Hills Energy. Lost opportunities for advancement and employee staff reductions.
Hard work, but fun place to work
Management (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 3, 2016
Bought by Black Hills Energy, so SourceGas is no more. It was a midsize natural gas utility company serving over 400k customers in 4 states.
Great place to work.
Director FP&A and Financial Reporting (Current Employee) –  Golden, COJanuary 24, 2016
SourceGas was a great place to work. Being acquired by Black Hills Energy. The culture in the CFO organization was outstanding.
Has ups and downs
Security Operations Officer (Current Employee) –  Rapid City, SDSeptember 26, 2015
can be stressful, but overall it is a pretty easy job. Lots of note taking required and talking on the phones.
I like the extra computer experience. Overall though, I only work one day a week. So it is nice. I work on a not so busy day, where I sit and monitor cameras all day.
Do not work here
Line department (Current Employee) –  PuebloSeptember 23, 2015
This company is very good at out sourcing. They have laid off quite a few positions. Management feels you owe them your life if you work here. Journeyman lineman are treated horrible. This place is very unethical in helping and maintaining good work culture and morale. Attitudes will always effect safety and production. Way better jobs out there.. Compensation is lower than most. Employees are just a number.
Pros
Good group of employees who have been here awhile
Cons
Management, compensation, morale, ethics, and team effort on employee and management.
Good Company
Right of Way Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Golden, COJuly 24, 2015
The company culture is the best. They have lots of employee appreciation events. No micro-management. Great company.
Pros
Great location, great appreciation events
Cons
Pay is low considering it's the energy industry
I appreciate learning new things
customer care representative (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARApril 22, 2015
I enjoy assisting other people and informing them of the knowledge that I have
Throughout my time at sourcegas I have learned to be patient and listen without talking over others
The hardest part of my job is not having empathy for customers who need more than I can give
Run! As fast as you can!
Finance (Former Employee) –  Golden, COMarch 23, 2015
Ineptitude is the standard, especially among executive ranks. Hope you don't want to be challenged or think on your own. It's literally discouraged.
Pros
The consultant they hire to teach them how to do their job is knowledgeable.
Cons
No advancement. No respect. Don't expect honesty or a concern for advancing your skill set.
Good Benefits
Dispatcher II (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ArkansasMarch 6, 2015
The company provides employees with competitive compensation and salaries. Management tends to change policies inconsistently and treat entry level employees with little respect.
I like it
Welder IV (Current Employee) –  NebraskaDecember 6, 2014
It is a good place to work you weld on Natural gas lines and the managment is good and the coworkers are good
Security Officer at Black Hills Energy
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, NENovember 23, 2014
My typical day at work was helping watching the staff and making sure the building was secure. The management was completely thorough in training and the coworkers were so very personable. The hardest part about my job was there was none; I had great training from the lead manager as she has been in my position before.
I just enjoyed working with the whole crew including the night staff working at the Call Center. I wish I could do this again.
Pros
everything about the job
Customer Relations/Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lakewood, COSeptember 2, 2014
Daily collection calls, payment processing and communication through email with customers, local/regional office staff and management.

Hardest part of job was high turnover rate of personnel and distance of commute.

Most enjoyable part of job was assistance in training, and exceeding company expectations consistently for number of calls made and percentage of A/R collected.
Pros
learned sap system, training techniques, had excellent relationship with managers and local office staff.
Cons
high rate of personnel turnover, had five managers in sixteen months.
Productive and fun place to work
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARJune 4, 2014
I like the encouragement the management gives us and also the incentives we get.
Pros
free lunches and gifts
fun place to work
Customer Care Representatvie (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARFebruary 7, 2014
fast paced and changes daily

management was not very involved
Pros
lots of people to relate with
Cons
high turnover rate
Fast paced Job Atmosphere
Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, ARNovember 13, 2013
Answered multiple phone lines and advised customer's on their gas utility service. The co-workers were very nice and the overall experience of the job was wonderful. I would still be there today if I hadn't needed to stay home with my children.
SR ANALYST - SHAREPOINT/WEB ADMIN / DESIGN / DEV (Current Employee) –  Golden, COMay 31, 2013
Great benefits, training opportunities and work environment
Pros
great benefits and work environment
Do not work here
Manager (Former Employee) –  DenverMarch 5, 2013
This is the worst company that I have ever worked for. I will give them credit for good pay and a good bonus structure. Beside the pay, it is not a very comfortable place to work because the company is a good-ole-boys network and run using a 1950's top-down management. If you are underr the age of 40 or female, I reommend not even looking at this company because the will not give you the opportunity to advance.
Pros
bonus structure
Cons
mangement, good-ole-boys network (literally), safety
A utility company that cares about its employees
Director, Insurance & Operations Risk Management (Former Employee) –  Rapid City, SDOctober 25, 2012
Company has grown tremendously over the past 5 years and has been in a construction boom, developing new power generation capacity.