Black Horse Carriers, Inc.

Black Horse Carriers, Inc. Employer Reviews

good
Truck Driver (Current Employee), philadelphia paJune 24, 2014
love drivening , up at 3am long work days ok work enviroment.
great place to work as long as you are willing to run
Driver (Current Employee), Center Valley, PAMay 7, 2014
Pros: pay benefits flexibility
Cons: long days odd start times
Dispatch is fair and the money is great. You must be willing to work but if you can take the long days the pay reflects your effort. Overall its still trucking long days traffic ......... but the company is growing fast and is safety conscious. Well maintained equipment and best benefits I have found.
Real People to work for
CDL Driver (Current Employee), Shreveport, LAApril 9, 2014
This has by far been the best company I have worked for my manager is a good guy who will work with you in any way he can as long as you do your job.

All the drivers I work around are professionals and know what needs to be done to get the job taken care of, we all help each other when its needed, cool people, fair Management. Good pay.

Hope to grow – more... with Black Horse.....So Far So Good! – less
Very fun work place.
Dedicateg delli driver (Current Employee), Hopkins, MNApril 9, 2014
Pros: very nice equipment.also clean trucks
Cons: slip seat but it works
deliver delli exspress...management is kind and awesome. Other drivers are nice and it is fun drives.
too much smoke and mirrors
Driver (Former Employee), Lancaster, PAApril 2, 2014
Cons: evrything
co. is not up front with pay or when work slows down dispatcher needs to find another job I don't recommed this co. to anyone
Awesome place to work!!!
Class A Truck Driver (Current Employee), Ontario, CAMarch 30, 2014
Management is a breeze to work with here! My time at Black Horse has both been challenging and rewarding.
Good pay
Driver (Former Employee), Carol Stream, ILMarch 10, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: not very lienient
Payed well and safety conscience but 1strike policy. Was let go after 1 incident
Wonderful place to work
Driver (Current Employee), Ft worth TexasMarch 7, 2014
Pros: home time
Cons: night work
I love driving for them my boss is a former driver great pay home everyday off weekends and holidays
Management just want the freight delivered
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Oak Forest, ILFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: paid good
Cons: insurance, poor management
Management didn't want to hear about bad equipment or the poorly maintained equipment! I would just show up and do my job. Pay was good, but very physical! Was paid per route so if it took 11 hr or 18 hr paid the same!
Black Horse Carriers Plymouth, Mi
Trailer Switcher (Former Employee), Plymouth, Mi bakery accountFebruary 4, 2014
Cons: bad hours, split days off
Not a good company to work for, when I was at the Plymouth location most of the drivers did not appear as if they were all that pleased, I heard a lot of grumbling.

The on-site manager for the bakery account did not really seem to have much experience with mediating between the customer and driver if there was a problem.

I switched trailers with a – more... day cab there were a lot of moves the facility did not have adequate space so you would be double dropping trailers to make space, while competing with the bakery drivers for space.

The hours were weird 3-11 AM. What really bothered me was the 7pm-3am switcher had very little work to do but would not fuel the truck, I would ask the manager to have him fuel the truck but he would never fuel the truck.

I could handle the moves what I had a problem with was the traffic director (who had a bad reputation around the place) was always rude and would yell more than talk and beat on the door of the truck.

I had been switching for many years before I worked there in busy environments. I wish I would have left the first day. The doors were very poorly marked and instead of trailer numbers they would call out doors so if you were in front of the trailers it was easy to get the wrong door which I did on my first day and dumped some bread, I volunteered to quit but they insisted I stay.

There were other wrong door accidents by drivers who had been there longer than I was, pretty dangerous, it was only after that precautions were taken by the bakery, large legible door numbers, red/green lights installed on doors and calling out trailer numbers instead of door numbers.

I was there six months when on a busy rainy day of the usual battle for space with the outside drivers the sweetheart traffic director came out complaining it was a half hour before the end of my shift so I just gave him back what he had been dishing out finished my switch and quit on the spot. My supervisor instead of trying to resolve the situation did nothing when he could have mediated the problem, he was like a deer in the headlights. No big surprise though because he would not see to it the truck got fueled by the switcher who had down time.

I regret the incident but really regret taking the job with Black Horse Carriers. – less
productive fun place to work fast pace enviorment
Distribution Clerk (Former Employee), Minooka, ILJanuary 30, 2014
good pay good people tp work for good management fast pace kept you working yr round usually 40 hrs or more a week
High School Environment
Office Staff (Former Employee), QuakertownDecember 19, 2013
Pros: there really are none
Cons: hostile work envoronment, immature and very unprofessional!
My interview was fantastic. She gave me the impression it was very professional and a great place to work. This was not the case at all. "BEWARE" THIS PLACE IS TOXIC AND YOU WILL FEEL LKE YOUR IN HIGH SCHOOL AGAIN. I worked in the office and the two girls I worked with were very unprofessional and immature. I couldn't wait to get out of there. Started – more... my job search 3 days after I started. Very dissappointed. – less
Good company just hard hrs when having a kids.
Driver (Former Employee), Corpus Christi, TXNovember 11, 2013
Pros: being my own boss and pay
Cons: the hrs
My night started by picking up my load and driving down to the valley from corpus christi. I delivered auto parts to the Napa stores also picking up returns and invocies and payments. I was the only employee down here all others were up in S.A, Including all my bosses. The most enjoyable part was that i was my own boss and incharge of the things i did, – more... But if something did happen i could call my boss and he would always help out no matter the time. T he hard part off the job was the hrs and time it took away from my daughter but pay was really good so when we spent time together it was always fun. – less
Flexible, Great Benefits, and Top Level Management
Company Driver (Current Employee), Chicago, ILOctober 2, 2013
I have been a company driver for Black Horse for 8 years and think its a great company. I worked for three other carriers before Black Horse and none of them come close in salary and benefits. When I had a health issue a few years back, they were flexible and helpful. From Top Management down to the admin staff, great people.
the only contact that i have with management is via phone as they are based in jacksonville fla
CDL Driver (Current Employee), ILMarch 23, 2013
i dont have much contact with anyone i pick up my load from another driver at the ryder yard in albany and deliver them to the jobsites
Really good to work for on Holiday season. Lots of freight.
Driver/Laborer (Current Employee), Philadelphia, PAJanuary 5, 2013
A typical day at BHC is woking 10 to 12 hr day lumping freight on a 3 to 4 stop run solo.
Very good company to work for
Driver (Current Employee), Carol Stream,ILJanuary 1, 2013
Pros: good benifits and equipment
This is a very good company to work for. All you have to do is want to work, show up and be professional which in todays work force is turning out to be very difficult with the attitudes of the new driving force that has been developing.
The drivers I work with are very professional and the management is also.
If your willing to work, it's a great place to be.
Driver (Current Employee), Houston, TxOctober 29, 2012
Pros: good equipment, home daily, weekends/holidays off, good pay, good management.
Cons: you actually have to work a bit. (if you call that a con. we used to call that life!!)
I started up with a new account. There were a few bugs to work out the first week, but we got them taken care of. My manager was very proactive in getting these issues taken care of. With my position, it's true that my start time varies a bit, but always within an hour or so. I too, am on a minimum weekly pay. (more $ if I work more). I have never made – more... less then what they said I would make. The job (auto part delivery) is hard, but the money is worth it. Combine that with new trucks, two days off a week, holidays off, benefits and overall good work environment, I can say this...if your not lazy, it's a great place to be. – less
Contract Employer
Delivery Driver (Former Employee), Menomonie, WIOctober 12, 2012
Pros: good benefits, good manager
Cons: contracted services, extreme weather, road construction, not a secure working enviroment
I liked the company except they are a contract employer. Which means if they lose the contract you were hired to service, they don't always have a job for you.

Enjoyed delivering car parts, never talked to management unless, truck broke down or parts of the load were missing.

Didn't like having to drive in blizzards to deliver parts, when company – more... always stressed safety first? – less
Best company to work for.....
Delivery Driver (Current Employee), Tully, NYAugust 19, 2012
Pros: pay, equipment, flexible dispatch and cool management
I've been with Black Horse for going on 5 months......Its the best paying company I have ever worked for. Dispatch and management truly care about their drivers:)

About Black Horse Carriers, Inc.

Black Horse Carriers is a privately held company rooted in rich history that goes back 100 years. We are focused on providing – Read more

Black Horse Carriers, Inc. Photos