Black and Decker Employee Reviews in United States

Fun place to work at
Assembly Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Tarboro, NCMarch 19, 2016
I worked through a temp agency. This was my first real job after I had my first son. Sometimes I didn't know what line I would be working on, this job was an assembly job. I had no problems with any of my management team and got along with my co-workers. This was the 1st job that I worked on 1st shift, so I had to get use to getting up early in the morning. The hardest part of this job was when I had to work on the lines dropping screws in the units. And since my hands sweated most of the time I was only getting like 3 screws in there. So working on an assebly line the other person would catch what I didn't do. Even though I worked as a temp I enjoyed the job because we was treated like we was permanent Black and Decker worker. I met a lot of good people. And even though I would get laid off right before Christmas, I knew that I would be called back by the end of January or beginning of February.
Pros
great food in the cafteria, had catered dinners, music at the dinners, good benefits for temps, great hours, hardly no weekend, and 1st shift
Cons
they closed down and moved overseas
forklift operator
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Miramar, FLJanuary 12, 2016
My typical day work starting: loading and unloading truck, shipping and receiving the merchandise, forklift driver, clean the area, i like work hard
A great place to work
Warehouse Associate (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCOctober 12, 2015
Overall working at Black and Decker was great, working in the receiving and shipping department/. Working all over the warehouse was great learning everything, Management I had no complaints. the co-workers was great. The hardest part was leaving.
Utility
Assembly and Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNAugust 5, 2015
Had to know every assembly location, was a fill in for the absentees and new start ups.

I learned they make you feel good about yourself with the confidence of furthering your experiences.

Management somewhat lack of communication. All in all they were great once everything got in order.

Knowing plant was shutting down

Enjoyable when plant was bought out and I was Promoted to Supervisor.
Pros
Promotion
Cons
New company then they too shut down
Friendly atmosphere with supportive management
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYOctober 18, 2015
Plenty of camaraderie, great support staff, friendly management, opportunity to learn additional skills, company outings.
Pros
Good place to learn skills
Cons
Dirty
Productive, Fast Pace, Friendly Co-Workers.
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hampstead, MDSeptember 10, 2015
Productive, fast pace environment. Friendly Co-Workers, unloading 3 ovens into 40 lb totes, working in extreme heat at times. Weighing and packaging parts for shipping. Omni Lube parts and package for shipping.
Assembly Line Technician (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCOctober 21, 2015
Very well maintained company who cared not just about their product but made sure their employees were happy. Great products to the consumer
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Great Place to work
Operations (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXJuly 31, 2015
I learned the meaning of hardwork..I had to inspect the wheels that came out of production. Driver a Forklift. And when I was finish with my station I was always sent to help a different stations
Pros
All Staff were willing to help
Cons
N?A
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Easton. MDJune 19, 2015
Hard work but with fun times and good people to work with. learn about the making of motors and plastic parts, also put together of tools. Management was okay, Most of the co-works were good to work with.
Pros
company picnics. health care
Cons
at times treated you like robots
hard work and very competitive
Lumper (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCSeptember 3, 2015
A usual day usually consist of being assigned a trailer to unload, you wrap your plastic sheet to cover to top of product when finished and plastic wrap to secure the product. we receive information on the product in the trailer as to the number of sku's and total number of cases. Usually with a two man team you unload truck by placing product on pallets throwing the sheet on top a wrapping it. you then take pallet jack and move pallet to a specified line in the warehouse so the forklift drivers can retrieve it. i learned a few things about communication, focus, dedication, and being efficient is necessary for both your partner and you to have because it is beneficial to you both plus the company if you work at a steady fast pace. Its nice when you supervisors and such understand your importance and how hard the job can be. The hardest part is making sure you dont mix any product (sku's). The most enjoyable part is having a partner with a work ethic and understanding of time management equivalent to yours seeings as we dont always work with the same person or persons.
Pros
Production based pay
Cons
short breaks
Great company to work for
WAREHOUSE ASSOCIATE (Current Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCAugust 27, 2015
Great company to work for
No pay rate raise though
Management was fun and very flexible.
Fun place to work
Learned alot from alot of people
Not a good place to work for
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJanuary 26, 2015
benefits are very poor
management is very poor throughout
most co-worker are very easy to get know
the hardest part of the job was having to go to work here everyday knowing that you had no support from management.
getting a promotion is not based on job knowledge or skill but who you know within the company
HR is not their for the people; like they should be
the company is not a fairly based
Pros
working with some good people
Cons
management
Loader/Unloader (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 13, 2015
The night was very productive and also a race sometimes, the co-workers would see who can do the most trucks at a giving hour. Management went above and beyond for the staff, made us feel very appreciative.
Black and Decker
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Fort Mill, SCJune 3, 2015
Wonderful company to work for. If I did not have transportation issues I will still be working for the company. Enjoyed my time there and met wonderful people.
Had good people there.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Shelbyville, KYJuly 13, 2014
Typical day at work included job training, keeping up with my job and doing it to the best of my ability. If I was lucky I would get one co-worker on my job. No one was allowed on the stand where I worked. Hardest part of job was number output. Knowing I had a steady income. Management was the best I ever worked under. I learned how to make diamond press grooves in saw blades.
Pros
worked seven hours got paid for eight.
Cons
worked with hazardous chemicals.
Good job and great experience
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJanuary 9, 2015
This job was rewarding, challenging, fast-paced and interesting. The workload was heavy but always achievable. The Director was a delight to work with and had the heart of a teacher.
Pros
outstanding opportunity
Cons
downsized due to company re-organization.
wonderful work place
production assembler (Former Employee) –  Easton, MDAugust 28, 2014
go in report to work site have a good run .
that was my first job so I learned a lot about assemble.
management were a joy to work for.
co-workers were great and enjoyable to work with.
the hardest thing about the job was during shift change over.
most enjoyable thing was working with great people.
Pros
great place to work /management were incharge and fair.
Cons
37hr work weeks.
Worked on different asembly lines.
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Fayetteville, NCAugust 13, 2013
I worked in the Motors Department where I inspected parts for the drills, saws, and lawn mowers, I made sure the parts were good before the parts went to the assembly lines. I worked on the drill,saw, and lawn mowers line by putting the different parts in the drill, saw, and lawn mowers. I put labels on the drills, saws, and lawn mowers. I put the drills and saws in he boxes along with their directions.
Pros
long hours, standing on my feet
Cons
plant closd and moved to mexico.
Black and Decker bought the existing company and from day one, the worst experience of any company I had ever been associated with.
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMay 3, 2012
I can not give a star to any category listed because Black and Decker took over the company and absolutely ran it in the ground. They started with taking away vacation days, then bonuses and then made the employees pay outrageous amounts for health insurance and benefits also decreased. I would not recommend anyone work for them. It got even worse when they merged with Stanley. Nothing good to say about them. They got one star because this system would not let me post anything until I gave at least one star.
Great place to establish and grow your skill set
Analyst (Former Employee) –  BaltimoreSeptember 26, 2012
Don't believe a word management says. They have no power and often don't know the real deal under the Stanley ownership. Caring for the employees and growing them is a thing of the past. Work 24/7 if that's what it takes. Working environment and condiitons are excellent. Cleanliness, appearance, maintenace of the property is paramount. Not having opporunity to communicate with the upper management and undertstand the direction and strategy the company in embracing is cause for much anxiety.
Pros
benefits, reputation of legacy b&d
Cons
work/life balance see if they care

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Black and Decker. Our community is ready to answer.