Blackbaud Employee Reviews

Professional Services is a mess
Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 12, 2016
As a Luminate Online project manager, I was dismayed that we sold customers services we could not actually provide. Management seemed to be ok with collecting for 140 hours a month, then only delivering 120. On the flipside, when demanding customers forced project teams to bring 160 for only 140 reserved, project managers who pushed back on customer, got zero support from upper level management

Blackbaud is an example of everything that is wrong in the tech industry, where "services" try to become a profit center and project managers are sacrificed by upper management, unwilling to stand behind them OR make decisions to change policies.
Pros
Great people to work with
Great place to work at
Technical Support Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 21, 2015
My team assists internal analysts with client issues. We build and maintain virtual testing machines that analysts will use to troubleshoot critical issues with company software. We will server as a tier 2 point of contact for case resolution. We primarily work everyday with Windows administrators to make sure our database software is working properly. We troubleshoot SQL related issues that clients may have on a daily basis.
Pros
Teamwork, positive culture
Cons
Lack of compensation
Fun people, but they love work-aholics
Production Operator (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 27, 2016
I generally like working at Blackbaud. The people in other departments seem to like it a lot more than I do though.

I'm in Operations, and we're definitely expected to never stop working. Things like work-life balance, and quality of life improvements are mentioned, but don't seem to be priorities. The only thing we seem to accomplish is to stamp out a fire long enough to get it down to coals; then its off to the next, larger fire.

That said, I really like the people I work with. It will be a shame when I leave to not work with them anymore.
Pros
Free snacks, games, company activities
Cons
Expects employees to never stop working
Fun place but lacks professionalism
Product (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 16, 2015
Fun place too work and lots of great people but the products are old, unstable, and use very old technology. Company has spent a lot of money to acquire other companies but does very little to integrate them. Compensation is based on the job market in Charleston, which is typically lower than most other tech cities.
Pros
Good PTO benefits and flexible work schedule. Lots of great people
Cons
health insurance., Dental insurance, Management out of touch., VERY hierarchical management style
Blackbaud is AMAZING
Customer Renewals Specialist (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 23, 2016
Blackbaud is such a great company for which to work. I've never felt so fulfilled by the work I was/am doing or so motivated to go to work. I look forward to connecting with both my co-workers and clients each day.
Pros
Work-life balance
Cons
Base Salary
Source of income
Senior Production DBA (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAAugust 13, 2016
The hours required to support multiple data-centers worldwide was a challenge that met but not rewarded. The opportunity for career growth and promotion was not possible.
Pros
remote work
Cons
under-staffed
Lots of possibility and opportunity
Solutions Consultant/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCSeptember 12, 2016
Though it is a public company, it has done a good job of maintaining its (or restablishing in some cases) its culture of fun, customer-focus, and employee appreciation.
Great Culture
Customer Support Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCAugust 17, 2016
The culture and the people that work there are all very passionate, caring and fun people to be around. The people around you are invested in helping you become better at your role.
Challenging and Fun!
Senior Financial Software Analyst (Former Employee) –  Charleston, SCJuly 16, 2016
Everyday was different. Something fun happened everyday, as well. Great team oriented atmosphere. Corporate feel but also one big family.
Could be great depending on the team
Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCJune 25, 2012
Blackbaud on the whole seems like a wonderful place to work and the people are friendly and the atmosphere is pleasant but the actual work is a bit mind numbing depending on the position.

A typical day of work starts with me reviewing my cases and which takes about 15 minutes. I send the emails that need to be sent and record any messages that I've received. The next 7.5 hours are spent between waiting for a phone call (avg 1-2 per day) or "researching" issues (not waiting for a phone call). I'm a company first guy so looking at Facebook or surfing the web are usually things that I do during breaks but at Blackbaud I find myself searching for something to do.

I do know of other individuals who are working in challenging positions that keep them busy throughout the day and I hear that they love the opportunity with Blackbaud.
Pros
good benefits, schedule
Cons
mind numbingly boring

Want to know more about Blackbaud?

Ask a question
Great place to work!
Software Implementation Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCApril 11, 2016
Great place to work, but management / project management is all over the place. If you find the right job path, you can move up in the company.
Great Culture
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 7, 2016
Fun place to work with a great culture team always focusing on the employees. Great location in the middle on the domain, lots of fun things to do just a few steps out the door.
Good company with great mission
Account Executive/Sales (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCFebruary 15, 2016
Blackbaud is a good company and I would recommend to others. Fasted paced and good energy. Focus is on growth and outside sales is the place to be.
Regional Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 29, 2015
A fun place with a great work and life balance, management was positive, sales goals were attainable. Very fun job, good culture! I really enjoyed this position and learned a lot
Excellent Place too work
Sr. Windows Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2016
Enjoyed working there. My contract ended. Great place to work. Managers and Employees are great to work with. Tough environment but worth working there. I was using my skill.
Excellent place to work
Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Daniel Island, SCNovember 9, 2013
Blackbaud is an excellent place to work. You are given multiple tools to succeed and grow.
Pros
wonderful work environment, excellent management, ability to move up, ability for raises
Cons
can sometimes be stressful
See Below
Educational Consultant (Current Employee) –  Charleston, SCNovember 16, 2014
I have been at Blackbaud for just over a year implementing The Education Edge, importing data, and setting up the integration between The Education Edge and The Raiser's Edge.
Over-Worked & Stressed Trainers
Education Sales Consultant (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaApril 2, 2015
If you are a Blackbaud customer: beware of what you are getting from their "training" department--especially since you have to pay for it. New trainers are given sub-par training themselves & are ill-equipped to teach classes, but they are sent on assignments anyway. Tons of travel; terrible work/life balance. I actually attended classes where the students had to train the trainer...so embarrassing. The managers are condescending & need a lot of training in leading & motivating staff members.
Pros
Nice location if you are in South Carolina
Cons
Terrible work/life balance. Very poor employee training; especially for the trainers.
ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXApril 18, 2015
They really care about the employee. They have a kitchen with free snacks and coffee all day. They are flexible when it comes to working from home depending on your job title. They are really trying to have all departments become more familiar with each other to better collaborate.
Pros
Always have free snacks, sometimes catered lunches
Cons
workload and client satisfaction can interfere with work/life balance
Cool place to work
Implementation Consultant (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMay 7, 2015
As a consultant, you spend a lot of time on the road and serving customers, but there is a group of consultants that are there for you to bounce ideas off of, ask for suggestions for restaurants/things to do in different cities, or even meet you out if you're in or close to their town. With many people working remote, it's not too uncommon to find someone living in a city you are in for work.

The clients are non profits, but this doesn't mean they're all amazing. Some clients are incredibly awesome. Some clients are incredibly difficult. It's just the nature of consulting.

The pay isn't the highest, but you aren't expected to make the job your life, either. Time outside of working hours is highly respected. Weekends (with the exception of travel time) aren't two extra work days. Personal achievements outside of work are celebrated at work. The culture feels like a family, even if most of your coworkers are remote.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Blackbaud. Our community is ready to answer.