Blackbaud

Blackbaud United States Employee Reviews

ENTERPRISE SOLUTIONS SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Austin, TXApril 18, 2015
Pros: Always have free snacks, sometimes catered lunches
Cons: workload and client satisfaction can interfere with work/life balance
They really care about the employee. They have a kitchen with free snacks and coffee all day. They are flexible when it comes to working from home depending on your job title. They are really trying to have all departments become more familiar with each other to better collaborate.
A great place to work but advancement is very competitive
Financial Solutions Analyst (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 13, 2015
Blackbaud has a really laid back culture. The work is challenging and the room to grow into management positions is very competitive. Management is always willing to work with you and is very supportive in helping to maintain and surpass your goals.
Over-Worked & Stressed Trainers
Education Sales Consultant (Former Employee), South CarolinaApril 2, 2015
Pros: Nice location if you are in South Carolina
Cons: Terrible work/life balance. Very poor employee training; especially for the trainers.
If you are a Blackbaud customer: beware of what you are getting from their "training" department--especially since you have to pay for it. New trainers are given sub-par training themselves & are ill-equipped to teach classes, but they are sent on assignments anyway. Tons of travel; terrible work/life balance. I actually attended classes where the students had to train the trainer...so embarrassing. The managers are condescending & need a lot of training in leading & motivating staff members.
Fun workplace, great facilities, lively environment
Enterprise Support Specialist-Internet Solutions (Former Employee), Charleston, SCMarch 23, 2015
Pros: great facilities, great cafeteria/food court, fun activities
Cons: inflexible schedules, rotating schedules, slow career progression
This was a good company that valued its employees. Lots of fun activities and positive interactions. It is a great place to start your career out of college. If your are an experienced professional, there may be some difficulties adjusting to the culture.
Great people doing good things!
MANAGER (Current Employee), Austin, TXMarch 10, 2015
Very collaborative and it's easy to talk to people. I mostly work with people outside my team and most are pretty open. Lots of work flexibility allows you to work from anywhere.
See Below
Educational Consultant (Current Employee), Charleston, SCNovember 16, 2014
I have been at Blackbaud for just over a year implementing The Education Edge, importing data, and setting up the integration between The Education Edge and The Raiser's Edge.
Great work environment
Marketing Operations Temp (Current Employee), Daniel IslandOctober 28, 2014
Positive and enthusiastic employees to work with. You're treated as an adult and expected to complete your work but not micromanaged.
Great place to work while supporting nonprofits in pursuit to manage donors more effectively.
Client Success Manager (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INSeptember 19, 2014
Pros: relaxed environment, supportive co-workers and flexible schedule.
Cons: aggressive workload - every day is busy.
Manage and serve as the main contact for more than 1,300 existing nonprofit clients with an online eTapestry donor database with a focus on customer satisfaction and retention.

Identify and recommend best use of client’s database through custom, strategic-based meetings and develop and deliver a webinar series providing customers with the platform to be successful with the database.

Identify and provide solutions for at-risk customers and address escalated customer issues with appropriate resources.
Can't trust management even with new CEO
Product Manager, Internet Solutions (Former Employee), Charleston, SCSeptember 17, 2014
Great customers, awesome mission, but terrible accounting, R&D, and business unit management.
Cut-throat environment
Software Developer (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 10, 2014
Pros: cool looking building
Cons: sweat-shop environment
Blackbaud was a sweat-shop when I worked there. Admittedly this was many years ago, so things may have changed since then. Programmers were expected to work long hours, given heavy quotas to fill, and sharply criticized for not meeting them.
A good place to work overall, but management cares more about the company than about the customers
Project Manager/Principle Consultant (Current Employee), Charleston, SCMay 29, 2014
Pros: working from home
Cons: upper management not understanding the actual work that is being done
A great place with a lot of great networking opportunities. Upper management is not up to speed on what we deal with on a day to day basis therefore they don't support the work effort we are trying to accomplish. More concerned about meeting KPI's than about meeting the needs of the customers.
Best job I've ever had and it's not even close!!!
Customer Support (Current Employee), Indianapolis, INApril 9, 2014
Pros: great atmosphere for employees, great team oriented culture
Cons: insurance benefits not quite as quality as former large company i worked for very minor to me.
Amazed at how Blackbaud not only says they care for their employees but actually shows it!! I have worked for large and small companies and this one gets it. I felt like a valuable member of the team before day 1. The hiring process was difficult yes but everyone kept you updated and made me feel valued during the process. After day 1 all doubt was eliminated I left a company after 7 years and do not regret it one bit!! I am lucky to work here and realize that every day I wake up to go to work which I now enjoy again.
Initially good experience, bought/sold/merged too many times
Production Analyst (Former Employee), Cambridge, MAFebruary 24, 2014
I think Blackbaud's an overall good company. Hardest part of my job was trying to get the knowledge I needed, while still getting my work done. Good people, poor as managers, poor traning. By the time I left, I was totally overwhelmed with keeping my head above water, and I am not an unintelligent person. They were heading toward a 'KPI' (key performance indicator) based incentive system, and the last few months I was there were totally immersed in quantification of levels of talent, effort, going above & beyond to reach $ incentives. When I first asked my manager, he couldn't tell me what a KPI was.. it was weird. I know that's where a lot of companies are headed, but I think it got everyone way way offtrack regarding being human to each other.
Wonderful work environment, but difficult position
Customer Support Analyst (Former Employee), Greenfield, INNovember 18, 2013
Pros: insurance, sick days, vacation days, fun events, fabulous coworkers, great support system
Cons: high-stress, sometimes difficult clients, longer hours than realized
I was a Customer Support Analyst. Blackbaud was (and still is) a company I was/am proud to have been a part of. Blackbaud does wonderful things for the Nonprofit world. The coworkers I had were the best I've ever had the pleasure to work with, and I highly doubt I will ever work somewhere with such an amazing group of people. It's a truly rare thing to find such an amazing team with a wonderful sense of camaraderie and support. They do a lot of fun, team-building things in the office to keep things fun, and I loved the laid-back, friendly attitude everyone had.

That said, I found the position was not a good fit for me. It's a pretty high-stress job, and the pay wasn't really enough to compensate for me. I found answering the phone to be really stressful, and while I already had a lot of customer service experience, I wasn't prepared for how much more difficult clients could be over the phone. I gave 3/5 stars for Job Security/Advancement because, while I felt pretty secure in my job, I realized the potential for advancement was VERY slim, especially if I was unwilling to move to SC. I gave 4/5 stars for Job Work/Life Balance because I found it to end up being more time-consuming than I thought... Frequently, your calls run far past your scheduled times, and so you end up not being able to leave on time at the end of the day. It made it very difficult for me to schedule any plans on weekday evenings, for fear that a call would run long and I wouldn't be able to make it.

Over all, they're the best group of people you could ever hope to work for, but the position was too much for me.
Excellent place to work
Customer Support Analyst (Current Employee), Daniel Island, SCNovember 9, 2013
Pros: wonderful work environment, excellent management, ability to move up, ability for raises
Cons: can sometimes be stressful
Blackbaud is an excellent place to work. You are given multiple tools to succeed and grow.
Great Intern Opportunity
Finance Intern (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 25, 2013
The overall experience as a finance intern for Blackbaud was a great one. I was able to acheive efficient business experience in a fun, productive, and stimulating work environment. Highly recommended
Sweatshop supporting too much incompatible (and antiquated) software
Management (Former Employee), Charleston, SCOctober 25, 2013
Pros: nice building (leaks a bit), gym, big software employer in charleston
Cons: out of date technologies, sr mgmt team not knowldgeable, no other tech jobs in charleston, overwork (or get out)
At one time, Blackbaud was a technology leader. Around 2000, it went public and remained a leader, but focused on consulting instead of improving its core Microsoft client-server based products.

In the mid 2000's its 3rd CEO focused on acquisitions and Wall Street, again ignoring the people and technologies that made this company strong. He led the acquisition of Blackbaud's 2 major competitors, giving Blackbaud a lot of incompatible software technologies and products which do not work well together, creating many virtually insurmountable (and non-funded) customer/product support, product development and integration issues. His senior management team had little/no technological knowledge at all, and ran the company like a manufacturing company, not a software company. The main product, RaisersEdge (still its major source of income) received no major enhancements to its now out-of-date Microsoft client-server architecture for over 10 years, and is therefore a burden to host in the new SaaS environment. Most of the senior (and knowledgeable) management team was replaced within the past 5 years, and the new mgmt team have even less experience in technology or non-profits, making it difficult for employees focused on technology or non-profits to work effectively.

Blackbaud is often on the "Most Desirable Places to Work" list, simply because management has put pressure on managers and people to provide good reviews, etc. in order to hire people to replace its high turnover employees. Good companies shouldn't have high turn-over ...

Blackbaud has evolved from a fun software company of empowered technological visionaries into a sweatshop managed by non-techie MBA types who ignore techie advice. Company meetings have evolved from celebration parties with exciting announcements to depressing presentations about ailing sales and reduced margins with no refreshments or applause ...
Micromanaged sweat shop
Software Developer (Former Employee), Charleston, SCJune 6, 2013
Don't let the fancy-looking building fool you. This company treats its employees very badly. You will work long hours and endure constant criticism.
High Pressure High Value Company
Principal Consultant (Former Employee), Charleston, SCApril 23, 2013
Pros: lively and engaging co-workers, strong sense of team cohesion
Cons: long work hours, difficult work life balance
Working in the professional services department, we participated on a daily routine of customer implementation projects. The team members across various departments are all committed to their responsibilities and ensuring the timely and professional delivery of customer requirements.
I love who we help
Account Development Representative (Current Employee), Charleston, SCJanuary 5, 2013
Pros: free gym, great people, upward mobility
Cons: long sales process with some products.
Helping non-profits reach their goals is a worthy cause.

The people I work with are great.

I enjoy speaking to so many non-profit employees and volunteers

Enjoyable environment

About Blackbaud

Serving the nonprofit and education sectors for 30 years, Blackbaud (NASDAQ: BLKB) combines technology and expertise to help organizations – Read more

Blackbaud Salaries